ora pura

Can we more formally introduce ourselves here on SN-LC?

ora pura

There are so many new people around here lately & I'm getting everyone confused. I'd love to find out a little more about everyone in hopes of remembering better what's up with different people! So, I have some questions...

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ?
  2. How long have you been homeschooling?
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school?
  5. How does this forum provide support for you?
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs?
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight?
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc?
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc?

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Karen

ora pura

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Ds21 - Asperger's & ADHD-inattentive (in college now & working as a checker at Safeway) Dd18 - Dyslexia & ADHD-inattentive (aspiring ballerina - thinking about learning to cut hair so she can always make $$) & Dd14 - Asperger's (mild), SPD, ADHD-inattentive & CAPD (aspiring harpist)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? We have always homeschooled - I think that it's been 17 years now
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We started homeschooling before I realized that my dc had any special needs - dd18s issues surfaced 1st because she just couldn't learn to read
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We have never used the public school system (not that I'm opposed) but have used private services - ST, OT, dyslexia tutoring etc.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? This forum has been such a support for me. Not only have I gotten great encouragement & advice, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one out there feeling discouraged. My ds was dx'd with Asperger's because of this forum - I'm not sure I would have known to even have him evaluated if I hadn't been here!
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Yes, I am very fortunate to be able to belong to a support group for homeschoolers with special needs. I have gotten so much practical support & advice there!
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Wow - can I even remember? I think it was because I loved all the literature & that I could teach my dc together
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I haven't for my 2 Aspies, but did for my dyslexic dd. We did lots of books on tape & didn't do any of the writing assignments - we did our own assignments for that. I also didn't do all the books with her.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? I have loved IEW for teaching writing. It's worked really well with all 3 of my kids. Apples & Pears Spelling has been great for both my dds. The Davis dyslexia clay work really helped dd18.

Blessings,

Karen

ora pura

Betsy - I remember your posts on your ds & how the school doesn't see the Asperger's. I have that with my ds21. He's really gifted & everyone just attributed his idiosyncrasies to his giftedness. For him, it wasn't until he was a teen that it became very obvious that his social issues/obsessions/hatred of change were from the Asperger's. I think that everything you're doing for your ds is wonderful! It's great when you do such a good job that others don't see the issues!

Blessings,

Karen

Rana

[*]What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? ds 3,has no special needs. dd 6, stroke, blood clotting disorder, unknown syndrome has a deletion in a chromosome,OCD, Sensory Processing Disorder,global apraxia, hyptonia and other issues. (more detailed on my blog under introductions)

[*]How long have you been homeschooling? 2 1/2 yrs (2yrs kinder)

[*]Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Yes, just knew of the stroke and few minor issues

[*]Do you use outside services? private? public school? Private, hospital based speech, occupation and physical therapy

[*]How does this forum provide support for you? Encouraging when you feel overwhelmed with all my dd issues and I know that I am not alone on this journey

[*]Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Have a support group but not with special needs, lot of support from moms at the hospital while waiting.

[*]Why did you choose Sonlight? Reading books, the traditional program we tried was a nightmare with my dd, she just didn't get it. She loves SL and all the books

[*]Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yes, the phonics, LA,(still trying to figure this one out and need to try something else)

[*]What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Math U See-has really opened up my dd in math to understand. All about spelling-uses multi-teaching styles. Of course SL

tkbbmomof4

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? 20 yo ds gifted/LD/ADD-inattentive; 12 yo dd gifted/LD - possibly OCD or ADD; 10 yo ds gifted/LD/ADHD/SID; 5 yo ds SID
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? finishing our 8th year
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? No - we began hsing with our dd for K-5 with the intention of returning her to a private school. Oldest went all the way through at the public school.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? It has varied - we've never used the public school for services other than oldest was in pub school bub did not rec'd services. We use a Dev. Ped; private psychologist for re-evals; for Speech we used Scottish Rites and children's hospital; Children's Hosp for SID's; we used an O-G tutor for oldest but I've done the others with Wilson; two went through vision therapy.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Encouragement; info about resources
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? no - when oldest was younger I belonged to LDA - but we don't have an active group anymore.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I liked the books and middle ds has more severe issues than the others but is a sponge for anything he hears.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yes - dd is not an auditory learner so we've adapted it for her plus we've added in hands on through WP.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Wilson, megawords, Earrobics, Webber Artic cards, squishy balls, hand held massagers, large exercise ball, and the trampoline.

Karen

I love this forum and learn so much from all the other parents. It is also nice to hear others joys and struggles to see that I'm not the only one dealing with unique learners!

jandjsoulmates

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Saraphina is 12 & has no special needs other than being an older-child international adoption, so ELL is something she received for a time. Johnny is 10 & he has speech delays and mild Tourettes. Valéry is 9 & he has ADHD, Communication Disorder, LD & Mild Mental Retardation
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? I've been hs'ing Johnny for 5 or 6 yrs now and Saraphina & Valéry since getting them home 2 yrs ago.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I found out about them while homeschooling
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Johnny gets speech services through the local public school. Valéry gets speech, OT, Respite and Counseling privately through DDD services.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I post here when I have questions, need to vent or need some emotional support. I'm mostly a lurker on this forum.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Sort of. Our county has a parent support program where they hook you up with a mentor. I get together with our Mentor every 2 weeks for about an hour. Through that program, I can attend parent support groups with different topics which are also every other week, however my memory stinks so I always forget to go. LOL
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I don't really know. I was overwhelmed at all the choices, one of my good friends decided to go with SL so I decided to give it a try.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Oh yeah. ALL my kids are hands-on learners, so I really had to re-vamp the curriculum. I had to nix LA altogether and use many different programs for that now.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Hmmm... I'm not sure about this one. Most of what I've done has been my own creation. Dh says I should create my own supplemental curriculum and sell it. LOL I love Therapy Shoppe for our OT needs. I just started using "All About Spelling" with the kids and we all love it! I wish I had found this when I first started! I use MUS for math due to the hands-on nature of it. And another SL friend just turned me on to History Pockets, so I just bought two to do with the kids in the next few weeks.

Jennifer

Charlotte in MN
There are so many new people around here lately & I'm getting everyone confused. I'd love to find out a little more about everyone in hopes of remembering better what's up with different people! So, I have some questions...

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? dd13 - dyslexic, dd-11 - dyslexic, APD
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 9 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I found out because we homeschooled
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We have an O-G tutor.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I get good ideas and it is helpful to know that all homeschooled kids aren't above average.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? I have belonged to other on-line ones, but this is my favorite.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Because I love to read and I love history. I wish I had been taught this way.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I held up on cores until my oldest was ready to handle the readers. My youngest has never done their LA. We did a lot orally.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? O-G Some word games I made

Over time I have met several of the people from this board in real life. They have definitely not been disappointments. I have been hanging out here since the board started. I am sure glad that they started this board.

cactusmouse

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ?

my ds10 is dx-ed Asperger's (a case could have been made for HFA). (also have a NT dd6, and dd19)

How long have you been homeschooling?

for about 10 years now

Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?

no, we were already homeschooling our oldest dd. ds actually went to school for Pre-K, K, and 1st, as we were concerned about socialization for him :rolleyes:

Do you use outside services? private? public school?

not at the present time. we have had some private services back in AZ.

How does this forum provide support for you?

I only recently found this part of the forum....

Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs?

No. Well, yes, there is a Homeschooling SN kids support group here, but they don't really do anything.

Why did you choose Sonlight?

Welllll......for my sn dc, I actually use WP as his history core, however, I use SL for Science and LA/Readers, which lines up just fine.

Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc?

I needed to adapt right out of it, which was very hard for me to do....

Jennifer in AZ

2. How long have you been homeschooling? Both my boys (11 and 9yo have dyslexia and high IQs we began hsing b/c we knew Luther's & Howard's needs wouldn't be meet in a traditional setting. Kate (7yo) may also be dyslexic, though her challenges don't seem as great. She certainly has ADHA-inattentive(Just like her momma. *sigh*).

Both Jason and I are dyslexic with high IQs and we knew that our experiences were detrimental to our self-esteem and education and wanted better for our dc. We had to stop HSing when I had a heart attack, so while we started with Luther at 4yo w/ CoreK, we missed a couple years due to my illness. They all have been home since 2006. Luther had one year of K before that.

1. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Because of
  2. Do you use outside services? private? public school? My dc go to a PS enrichment program 2 days a week (will be 1 day a week next year) but it isn't for special needs.
  3. How does this forum provide support for you?It's nice to have some BTDT advice and support
  4. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No
  5. Why did you choose Sonlight? Luther's greatest love is history and SL was the only K curriculum that I could find that included history beyond George Washington, MLK,Jr. and Pilgrims. :)
  6. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? We do most things orally and I read the readers to them.
  7. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? hmmmmm I like RightStart math a lot, especially the games which I'm still using even though we've switched to TT for Luther and this reading /phonics program has done wonders for both Luther and Howard. We also had great success with Davis Dyslexia Correction last fall with Luther and are continuing with the "trigger words" for that program.

Robin E.

I'm Robin and I mostly lurk on this forum, although I post questions occasionally.

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? I've know there was something a bit different about my 3rd child since he was 1, but it has only been in the last few months that we are absolutely positive it is dyslexia. He turned 6 this Winter, so he is a Kindergartner. My other children are 12, 10-this-week, 4, and 2. I wonder if a couple of them might have mild dyslexia, or maybe just phonological awareness issues, butso far they learn fairly easily.

1. How long have you been homeschooling? We are finishing our 7th year.
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Our homeschooling has nothing to do with our 3rd child's dyslexia, but even if we weren't homeschooling I'd think about starting now that we are sure what his issues are. My husband and other people in his family are dyslexic and the school system all but failed them all.
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? My son is getting speech therapy through the public school system for atriculation issues. I would prefer private therapy, but there is a dirth of speech therapists locally. He has been on a waiting list for just an evaluation with a private therapist for months now.
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? I find it encouraging, and have found specific help as well.
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No, although our "regular" homeschool support group has a number of families dealing with dyslexia, so there is a lot of support there.
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? Because Sonlight is the way I wanted to teach but just didn't know how to go about doing it.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Well, for my dyslexic child I have simply needed to use Sonlight with him a little older. For example, Core P4/5 is "just right" for him now.
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? I am loving All About Spelling, and am praying about starting to use it as a basis to teach my son to read.

Can I ask one thing from you all? Can you explain just once in this thread what all your abbreviations mean? I know what ADHD is, but that is about it.

Charlotte in MN

O-G is Orton-Gillingham, a method for teaching reading and spelling.

APD is auditory processing disorder. It can also be listed as CAPD with the C standing for Central. Very occaisionally it is described as Auditory Dyslexia.

Holywoman

Hello, I'm started lurking in the forum at the beginning of this year. I never knew my kids had problems but severaly things surfaced recently. I figured out their problems myself with some research.

My 14 dd has some mild language processing problems. I just knew that she was terrible at writing. I tried to have her do independent work this year and it sunk her boat because because she would read but not fully understand and not be able to answer the questions. I narrowed it down to Language processing or auditory processing. She passed her auditory processing test with flying colors. :) So we are working on building up her vocabulary, reading comprehension, and logic/organizational skills. She has come a long way with writing this year with Writeshop I. We will continue it next year.

I always knew that my ds had trouble with spelling and was slow to learn to read and guessed at words quite a bit. I had no idea that he was dyslexic/dysgraphic until recently. This year we have also discovered some memory problems. He can't remember math facts and grammar but I suppose it is normal for a dyslexic. He does well in most other areas and is more logically minded than his older sister. He is doing well with Apples and Pears Spelling this year. I have learned that he does ok writing if it is in a logic step-by-step progression. After we edit his stories about 3 times he actually has some good writing. :)

I have never used outside help other than you guys. ;)

ora pura

Here are some of the abbreviations:

HFA - High Functioning Autism

AS - Asperger's Syndrome

SID or SPD - Sensory Integration or Processing Disorder

CAPD or APD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder

DS - Down Syndrome

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

ODD - Oppositional Defiance Disorder

RAD - Reactive Attachment Disorder

Those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head...

Kids can have visual processing disorders but I've never seen them abbreviated. I'm sure there are others that have been used here - hopefully, as people post they will indicate what the abbreviations mean from now on. Sorry - it gets to be a new language that you speak here & forget that others don't know it!

Blessings,

Karen

Robin E.

Thank you for the list.

ZooRho
I'm Robin and I mostly lurk on this forum, although I post questions occasionally.

Me too Robin. I lurk.

We did have a foster dd for 2 years who was diagnosed ADHD, no idea if that is what was wrong or if there were other issues that mimiced it.

I do have some friends with sn kids, who also hs, so actually this forum has benifited them because of your willingness to share your lives.

oh I've always hs my boys now 13 and 19(on Wed), the college boy/

Mesa

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Noah 8, Caiden 6, Eli 3, and Macy 2. Noah has SPD, ADD, and Aspergers.

How long have you been homeschooling?This is my 3rd year.

Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I knew Noah was sensitive and needed a tender but firm teacher. He's very bright, and highly distractable...he's a challenge to teach. We knew homeschooling was a better fit than public school for him.

Do you use outside services? private? public school? We used private ST, OT

How does this forum provide support for you? I like to hear from more experienced moms, who are successful in teaching their Special needs children along with their siblings.

Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No

Why did you choose Sonlight? All of the great books, and the customer support.

Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? No, Noah loves reading and its the only subject he doesnt fight with me about.

What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Sonlight, bribery, (lol) theraputty, yoga balls, MUS (with a mastery math program too) headphones and music.

albeto

I have three children, two of which I homeschool. They are 14 (Asperger's with the whole alphabet soup of comorbid conditions, and PTSD), 11 (expressive speach delay), 9

1. How long have you been homeschooling?

For two years now, but also a year about five years ago (my badges)

1. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?

Because of ds' special needs. We thought a classroom environment would be ideal but it's time had come to an end. Dd(11) came home this year because her learning challenges were finally starting to overwhelm her. If I could, I would bring my youngest home, too.

1. Do you use outside services? private? public school?

I did for many years. We used an OT, SP for a while, RDI, ABA, and behavior modification from a different angle (for older kids).

1. How does this forum provide support for you?

Hugs. Prayers. Ideas. I like to share some of the information I've gained over the years. I've been fortunate to have had access to some fabulous therapists and I want to share ideas that might be helpful to others.

1. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs?

I did but I found it was mostly complaining. Then I realized that was mostly from me! I found it depressing but this forum is uplifting, even in its sober identity.

1. Why did you choose Sonlight?

A friend recommended it.

1. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc?

Sadly, I had to adapt it so much I had to leave it. However, the idea of using a liturature based curriculum is foundational to what I do today.

1. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc?

Behavior modification. I'd love to get back to RDI but I don't think that's possible now. Knowing how to identify the purpose of a behavior and teach an alternative, appropriate skill is more valuable than gold, imo.

Karen

Isn't that funny? All Karen's numbers turned to "1".

~Seeker~

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ?12 SPD, ADD, Expresive language delay, Gifted. 10 severe food allergies, written language delays.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 7yrs
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We started because of B's Dx's and Dm just followed suit.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We have tried public and private with B(not able to help him) Dm is at public this yr but we're thinking to bring him home again.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Letting me ask ?'s and vent to those who understand the types of challenges we're facing.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Just this one. Our local one tends to be a gripe fest!
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? My sons loved being read to and love stories!
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yes! LA has not worked for us. I've also tweaked alot of the RA or history questions
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Dailygrams, Wordly Wise, Singapore / Miquon math, trampoline, balance ball, theraputty, interlibrary loans.

Karen

Really enjoying this thread. Great Idea!

Desire'

I mostly lurk, but have gotten a lot out of this forum when I needed it.

Some answers:

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Ds18--mild Aspergers, math/science gifted; ds15--whatever the opposite of AS is (why isn't there a term for that?); dd11--needed vision therapy to resolve eye coordination issues
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 14 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Both, sort of. I started homeschooling because ds18 started reading at age 3, and I foresaw problems between him and the regiment of public school. I didn't connect the AS with him until he was a teenager.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I have gotten great recommendations on reading resources for AS here.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No, but tonight I am attending, for the first time, an AS support meeting that I wasn't aware existed in my area. I found that after following a rabbit trail that started on this forum.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? The literature-based style was what we were already doing, with the extra bonus of SL having done all the prep for me. Ds loves to read so I knew that, even if all he did was read the material, he was getting a great education.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Just with the writing. The assignments were not generally something he could get his brain around, so we did other stuff for writing.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? SL/Saxon/Apologia (curricula that all worked well for ds), bribery, persistence

Cheri in WA

I am going to participate in this thread. Goodness, writing this out bring up so much emotion in me that has caught me off guard.

So - for right now, just know that I am here. I am learning, gleaning and growing.

I will come back and answer the questions.

Hugs.

mrsborch

Dd8 is in the process of getting a dx of OCD. Dd4 is just typically squirrelly :)

1. How long have you been homeschooling? We've always homeschooled (finishing our 4th official year)
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Dd8 has always been reserved (not liking "unsafe" or "risky" things like climbing ladders at the park or standing on a fence like dd4), started showing anxiety around age 4 (picking fingernails and hangnails), started having a serious fear of heights at age 7, started tapping and making things even at age 8.
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? The only things we've done is seen a pediatrician and getting books recommended here. Ped did a questionaire with dd8 and we are waiting for the results
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? It humbles me and takes the focus off of my struggles, comforts me that there are potential solutions and a eager group of moms that are willing to listen and make recommendations (rather than the sympathy from IRL friends that doesn't help make progress)
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? We don't use Sonlight for academics, just as a connection for me :)
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? N/A
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? I've been working at giving dd8 more control over little daily things and recently a bed light (the kind that clips on) has given her some much desired autonomy over her reading and when she goes to sleep

Karen

Glad to get to know y'all, too!

Hypatia

DS 16 (17 in June) Aspergers, concentration problems. DD 15 teenage girl who knows everything....
    Since birth, neither have been to school.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?
    We decided before having kids, met ds and figured it was a good idea.
    Investigating outside services for ds at the moment, another drs appointment on Friday to ask for yet another referral.
    I've read that other parents have similar problems or ones that make me thankful that ds is as he is. I mostly lurk tho'.
    No, although due to some recent changes I'm starting to look for one.
    Fell in love with the catalog in 1995 so many books to snuggle and read with.
    Yes, we didn't start formal writing for a while and we don't use everything.
    Behavioural modification stuff - although I think we've reached the end of what we can do at home. I like the bribery idea - it never worked with ds at all.

paratroopwife

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? 16 yo dd & 4 dd yo (both NT and gifted); 12 yo ds (dysgraphia, suspect some SID, mildly gifted); 7 yo ds (dysgraphia, SID, preliminary diagnosis of CAPD, and receptive and expressive speech delays with artic issues, mostly in the mild to moderate range)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 4 yrs, though not all with the same kid.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Some of each. I knew older ds would not do well in ps middle school for a variety of reasons. I realized he had dysgraphia in the fall when younger ds was diagnosed--two peas in a pod on that. This year, because of the accomodations I've been able to make with the 12 yo, he has just amazed me with school. I brought younger ds home 2007-2008 because he was not ready for 1st grade. Working with him during the year made me realize there might be some other things going on.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? 7 yo is in ps 1st grade this year but will likely come home starting in 3rd or 4th grade--earlier if he doesn't get a terrific teacher like this year. With all his struggles, he's actually making it academically with accomodations, and is very successful socially--he doesn't struggle there at all. I feel like he needs that success right now--his classmates love him and admire him. Luke gets OT and Speech Therapy privately--his speech therapist is the one advocating moving back to hsing again by about 4th grade. ;)
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? This is where I first heard about dysgraphia and thought, "Oh my, that's L exactly!" Book recommendations have also been invaluable.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Chose it for my gifted older dd. 12 yo is a great reader and has loved it over the last 2 years.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I do not have him do the SL creative writing assignments--his writing needs the slower, incremental approach of IEW. We mostly don't do read-alouds though we will be adding some back in this coming year (I want to slowly help him build up his auditory skills). He is much better at understanding what he reads himself.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? HWT for both of my boys--it rocks! Netflix for 12 yo to go along with the core. Exercise balls, hoppity-hops, weights.

Karen

Thanks for starting this, Karen.

Pam<><

DS 11yo--allergies/sensitivities

DS 10yo--autism, language, allergies/sensitivities, and associated junk (OT/sensory stuff, OCD-ish, etc)

DS 9mo--so far so good, though he does show allergies/sensitivities already (such as cow's milk)

DS 11--from the get go, minus a 7 month stint in christian school when he was 8yo (while dh was on deployment)

DS 10--spent 3 yrs in autism preschool before we began homeschooling, when he was 5.5yo

1. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?

I homeschooled Mr Autism when I finally realized that I could do a MUCH better job than the 'experts' (and that I'd save MUCH money and MUCH frustration in the process as well)

Not at this time.

I've learned a lot, I get challenged to think, I get opportunities to 'give back' and share what I've learned. Also, it provides a community of folks homeschooling their special needs kids--not a common commodity.

Not IRL, but yes if you count online. It's not the same, though.

I don't use SL for Mr Autism--it's WAY over his language abilities at this time.

I use SL for my eldest because it's both challenging and flexible.

I adapt if for my eldest, but probably no more than any other parent does.

I don't use it for Mr Autism.

dietary intervention (feingold, gfcf, etc)

old RDI

time (as in slowing down life and busy-ness and 'performing')

Karen

Pam

<><

swellmomma

10 yr ds He has severe ADHD, anxiety disorder, ODD, I suspect sensory integration disorder and his shrink thinks possibly bipolar

9 yr old dd ADHD and Conduct disorder

5 yr old ds so far neurotypical compared to the big kids but struggles with fine motor skills, encopresis and speech delays

19 mos dd neurotypical

This is our 3rd year

Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling?

I homeschool because of their needs. Actually first I sent them to ps BECAUSE of their needs only to realize that I made the worst mistake ever and they were really struggling, So now I hs because of their needs.

I utilize a psychiatrist for the big kids, a speech therapist for my 5 yr old (actually she only sees him twice a year, I do his actual therapy at home)

I love being able to connect with others that "get it", who understand the extra challenges that homeschooling (and simply parenting) these kids presents. No one in my immediate circle understands that punishing the kids harder or more often is going to change anything, they have these challenges and I have to work with them, this board helps give me ideas and support with that.

No I do not

Next year will be my first with Sonlight with a core, int he past I have bought just the books and science. I am switching because it gives me more time to focus on actually teaching the kids, unlike what I have been doing for 3 years which is planning more than teaching. Now I feel WAY behind so I need a program with all the planning done.

I imagine when it comes down to it, if I need to adapt it will be a combination of both my goals and their needs that I will be drawing on

What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc?

Vitamin supplementation, I started this on my own and our ped has been blown away by the changes and is kicking himself for not starting us on it sooner. Ds's best friend has similar set of issues as him so it has been great as he finally has a confident who gets him and vice versa, it has made a world of difference in his self esteem, maturity, social skills etc. In that regard my dd's best friend has autism and the same thing, finally having a friend that gets her quirks is awesome. I guess they really aren't resources but truely have made a world of difference.

aprillynn

DS is 8 and has ADHD combined type. He also has some other issues but we are still working on figuring things out. I also have an 11 year old DS and a 4 year old DD with no special needs.

We are finishing our 8th year homeschooling (if you count pre-K)

We made the decision to homeschool when my he was just an infant, so special needs did not factor in--it is a part of why we keep going though.

No

I mostly read here, it helps to know I'm not alone. I have gotten specific suggestions and advice here before though.

no

We'd been using Abeka for phonics/reading and my ds absolutely hated the boring Abeka readers so I started looking into Sonlight. LOVED the idea of it, knew I couldn't pull it off on my own, so I was hooked.

The only adaptations we have to make are just in how I schedule things. I give him a lot of frequent breaks. Oh, and I still do a lot of his writing for him. He does handwriting and copy work each week, but when it comes to creative writing he really has a LOT more to say if I do the writing.

Definitely SpellingCity.com We use Sonlight LA spelling lists and I just plug his list in at the beginning of the week and he plays spelling games all week and then tests himself. This has VASTLY improved not just his spelling ability, but his self confidence. Flashmaster is another great resource. He doesn't mind doing math drills if they are almost like a game.

One of each

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? My son is 9 and has expressive/receptive language delays, possibly ©APD. My daughter is 5 and has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 4 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I homeschooled because of his special needs.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Yes, he receives speech therapy through ps, vision therapy thru a development spec.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? It is wonderful to come here to ask questions and receive feedback from other moms who understand the challenges.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Because I love to read and I want my children to love to read too.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yes. I have to pick and choose the stories that he will be able to follow.

9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Super Duper - we've used several of their resources for speech exercises. I'm gaining a lot of insight from the book Childhood Speech, Language and Listening Problems. I so wish I had this book when we first knew he had language delays.

Karen

What a great thread Karen! Thanks for starting it! By the way, I just bought the "Listen My Child and You shall Hear" book and he is really enjoying the exercises. Thank you for the referral.

One of each
I am going to participate in this thread. Goodness, writing this out bring up so much emotion in me that has caught me off guard.

So - for right now, just know that I am here. I am learning, gleaning and growing.

I will come back and answer the questions.

Hugs.

:hug: to you Cheri.

Barbie

12 (ADHD, SID, AUD. PROCESSING) 10 (ADD inattentive, AUD. PROCESSING) 4 (nuthin')

1. How long have you been homeschooling? JUST ABOUT TO START OUR 6TH YEAR
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? WE KNEW ABOUT OUR DS 12'S ADHD BEFORE HOMESCHOOLING, THE OTHER WAS FOUND OUT AFTER HOMESCHOOLING HIM
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? NO
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? HELPS ME TO REALIZE THAT I AM NOT ALONE! I LOVE THE IDEAS PEOPLE SHARE ON HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? NO
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? MY SISTER LOOKED INTO IT AND LIKED IT SO I TRIED IT TOO. I LIKED THE LITERATURE BASED LEARNING BECAUSE BOTH MY BOYS ENJOY BEING READ TO.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? YES, FOR MY INATTENTIVE DS BUT I THINK ANYTHING WOULD HAVE HAD TO BE ADAPTED. HE ALSO HAS AUD. PROCESSING PROBLEMS SO I HAVE TO FIND VISUAL THINGS FOR HIM TO SUPPLEMENT
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? HMMM, I AM NOT SURE!

Karen

I think this came out too squooshed together and hard to read but I don't know how to make it in color!!

ZooRho
I think this came out too

12 (ADHD, SID, AUD. PROCESSING) 10 (ADD inattentive, AUD. PROCESSING) 4 (nuthin')

1. How long have you been homeschooling? JUST ABOUT TO START OUR 6TH YEAR
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? WE KNEW ABOUT OUR DS 12'S ADHD BEFORE HOMESCHOOLING, THE OTHER WAS FOUND OUT AFTER HOMESCHOOLING HIM
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? NO
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? HELPS ME TO REALIZE THAT I AM NOT ALONE! I LOVE THE IDEAS PEOPLE SHARE ON HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? NO
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? MY SISTER LOOKED INTO IT AND LIKED IT SO I TRIED IT TOO. I LIKED THE LITERATURE BASED LEARNING BECAUSE BOTH MY BOYS ENJOY BEING READ TO.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? YES, FOR MY INATTENTIVE DS BUT I THINK ANYTHING WOULD HAVE HAD TO BE ADAPTED. HE ALSO HAS AUD. PROCESSING PROBLEMS SO I HAVE TO FIND VISUAL THINGS FOR HIM TO SUPPLEMENT
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? HMMM, I AM NOT SURE!

squooshed together and hard to read but I don't know how to make it in color!!

there fixed it for you. up at the top of the box is the font kind, size and then the A that is black underneath when you click on it it comes up color.

Halle

Hi everyone, I'm Lyn and I've lurked around here. Thought I'd introduce myself and my children.

DS, 9, Aspergers and DD, 7, no special needs diagnosed but I'm wondering if she has dyslexia as she's a struggling reader.

We are about to begin our third year

Homeschooling is something I've toyed on and off with since my son was a toddler. Eventually we decided to try school out. We kept hitting brick walls with getting support for him (his special needs became evident at 3 but it took several more years to diagnose him) so we eventually opted to homeschool. He got his diagnosis literally as we removed him from public school. My son was also bullied in school and the answer was for him to stay in at recess yet the school didn't do anything with the bully. Along with that my daughter wasn't happy in school per se.

No

It reminds me that I'm really not alone especially on days when I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by home edding because all of the "experts" keep telling me my son should be in school where he will be socialized. I KNOW I am doing the right thing for him though. His meltdowns have calmed down so much since he stopped public school and he seems a lot happier in himself.

no

I'd heard a few people mention it and when I looked into the curriculum I knew it would be a good fit for us. My son is a history buff so he loves "school" everyday and my daughter loves listening to stories.

The only adaptations I've made are to opt out of the LA program that sonlight offer. Instead we use copywork, handwriting practice and Language Arts from Queen homeschool. Other than that so far the scheduling etc has worked well. I might adapt the odd day here and there, but nothing consistent.

The best resource I've come across for my son is Spelling Wisdom from Simply Charlotte Mason. It is an easy to follow spelling program that my son will happily do. Things like Sequential Spelling he got into such a stress about that it wasn't worth it. Now he does spelling quite happily. I think maybe because to him it isn't some sort of "test" format which he gets a score on.

Cheri in WA

Thanks for the hugs and PM's about this thread.

Sorry I got all emotional on you. This just feels like a safe place to be real and to be understood, and for me, those place are quite limited.

Charlotte in MN

I know just how you feel. My girls outwardly look great. Dyslexia doesn't really affect outward behavior especially when it is remediated. My family is great and don't press expectations on us. However most my neices and nephews run on the gifted level in some way (even the one who was adopted). I have had several autistic kids in my SS class. This board has helped me be a better teacher to all the kids in my class. The way my kids learn has made the experience better for every child in my classes. It is still a marathon though. Sometimes I wish the race was a sprint and I could move on to something else. However at the end of the marathon, I will be glad that I stuck it out (with everyone's help).

ora pura

Wow - so many responses & introductions. I've been so busy this week that I haven't had time to respond, but it's so wonderful the support that's here. It's also great getting to know you all a little better too!

Blessings,

Karen

albeto
Thanks for the hugs and PM's about this thread.

Sorry I got all emotional on you. This just feels like a safe place to be real and to be understood, and for me, those place are quite limited.

:hug:

Cheri in WA

My boys are 13, 7 and 5. My 13 yr old is undiagnosed Asperger's, and the other two boys are typically developing boys. :Big Grin:

I've h/s'ed since Brennan was 3. He was in a birth-3 program for speech and OT, and there was this HUGE push/pressure to put him in pre-school. We decided to hs, originally mainly due to his medical issues; knowing that most classroom settings are germ factories, and he's already been hospitalized so much.

Both - we began hs'ing out of medical necessity; and then, as his issues continued to emerge, we knew we had made the right decision.

All of my boys have had, or currently have, speech therapy. With the two little boys, it's been to just correct a few delayed sounds.

I come here and feel understood. I read your stories and so completely relate to them. I don't feel judged for having a "wierd kid." I know that you don't think Brennan is "wierd" because we hs. So often, we've been told that if we would have just put him in school when he was 5, he would be fine now.

No

The great books. Brennan was also naturally drawn to history from a very young age, so SL was a natural fit for us. We fell in love with it; and have stayed.

We use SL for Bible, History, Readers and Read Alouds. I also use Easy Grammar/Daily Grams, Teaching Textbooks, HWT, ETC and IEW. We use Apologia Science and various other things.

Sorry my #'s are all messed up. I have no idea why each question starts with #1, and I can't get it to change.

Whew - that was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Hugs!

Hypatia
How does this forum provide support for you?I come here and feel understood. I read your stories and so completely relate to them. I don't feel judged for having a "wierd kid." I know that you don't think Brennan is "wierd" because we hs. So often' date=' we've been told that if we would have just put him in school when he was 5, he would be fine now.[/quote']

Doesn't that want to make you scream? I just look at them and shake my head, dh actually turned to one and said, "No I think he'd be dead if we'd put him in school" Which in this country would have been 2 and 9 months...

PuddleJumper

Ds 14 - NT but he does have Celiac Disease

Dd 10 - NT (Ds and Dd both are on the gifted side)

DS7 - Smith Magenis Syndrome; Autism; Severe communication delay (non-verbal); wears a hearing aid; developmental and cognitive delays and a few extras (sensory stuff, hypothyroid, GERD +)

1. How long have you been homeschooling? In our 10th year
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We've known ds7 was special from birth - more has been learned through the years. He was actually in a wonderful ps special ed program for 3 years until this year so now the answer would be 'yes - we homeschool him because of his special needs.'
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? He has been in private OT, PT and Speech for over 6 years and will probably age out of OT and Speech at 18. He recieved OT, PT and speech while in school but we have completely stopped using school services.
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? I love the amazing wisdom of everyone here. We're really just starting our actually homeschool journey with ds7 so I'm reading and learning.
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Multiple online support groups.
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? We have used/use Sonlight for the older two but I will be using some items from SL for ds7.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I will have to adapt everything for ds7 - his cognitive delay is greater than 5 years (at 7 he is at about an 18 - 24 month level)
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc?

Great thread - It's nice to get to know the rest of you :Big Grin:

InFaith

I guess I should introduce myself since I am starting this journey again.

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? 22yo DS undiagnosed Aspergers, Highly gifted, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, profound speech impediment. 19 yo DS Apraxia, ADD 18 yo DS Highly gifted, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia 17 yo DS gifted and NT 15 yo DS Profundly gifted and mildly dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia 9 yo DS, probably at least Highly gifted and so far has profound speech articulation, phonological awareness and language acquisition. Is still in for lots of testing. Can read above grade level(3rd) but can't spell CVC words, Horrible handwriting and composition.

2. How long have you been homeschooling? This is our Tenth year.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We atarted homeschooling because of my oldest's special needs.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We are using a virtual charter school to get help for our youngest.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? It lets me know I am not alone and reminds me that I did not do something to cause this
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No besides this forum
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Because it does what I was doing on my own.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I have before. Right now all we are doing is reading the sonlight books

9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Sequential Spelling. The Davis Dyslexia book.

Splash

ds 14: NLD, SPD, severe environmental allergies that affect concentration, gifted musically

ds 11: allergies and speech/language delays needs vision therapy

dd 10: dyslexia

dd7: vision issues, gifted

dd3: waiting for that shoe to drop :)

We've been homeschooling since fall of 2002 so 7yrs

Yes, ds was having lots of trouble in school. We'd do hours of work at home afterschool and I was tired of teachers complaining about my ds.

Not currently, we've done OT, ST, PT, and even Brain Integration. Oops thats not true, dd with dyslexia goes to OG tutor once a week. We will be starting vision therapy with two of them soon.

I've learned tons and tons. It also helps to hear from others who have been there and are experiencing similar problems. Sometimes it gets lonely when I see friends kids excelling with less effort than I'm putting forth each day and we're barely making any progress at all.

No.

Initially I chose it because I wanted the exact opposite from what my ds was doing in our local christian school. No workbooks, textbooks, etc. Plus, since he was tiny he loved, loved, loved to be read aloud to each day. I'm also a book junkie. I have/had thousands of children's books even before kids.

Yes, I make changes depending on which child I'm working with.

Honestly, the best progress we've ever had was through the OG tutor. She also helped find diagnosis for ds, lead me to books that are helping me understand disorders, how to teach them, and she is such an encourager. She gets how hard this is and is always speaking words of encouragement and praise. For things we use at home I'm liking Megawords, All about Spelling and Teaching Textbooks for my oldest ds with math LDs this has really relieved a lot of the stress he feels around math. He still struggles but the reading and presenting of only one problem at a time works for him.

zingara

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. ;)

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? DD10 has ADHD, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, mood disorder. DD7 has no special needs.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 3 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Because of.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No - only docs
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I always find out about new resources, from supplements to spelling programs!
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? no
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? DD10 loves to read and hates to write, so SL seemed a good fit (and it is!)
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? minimally - mostly has to do with writing. She does some of her work on the computer or dictates to me and I write. Comprehension questions we do mostly orally.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Netflix (we love videos!), dry erase boards (no more erasing holes in the paper in anger and frustration!), Teaching Textbooks (I am no longer the hated math teacher!)

Karen

Mary Grace

Jo (11), Atticus (8), Logan (6), Oliver (2), and Manolin (11 mos.) While each of my first three have had their own struggles, it's really Oliver that brings me here. He has suspected FAE, is hearing impaired and developmentally delayed.

Since 2001, unofficially. Jo started K in 2002. I guess that's my official start date.

We were already homeschooling.

Yes, Oliver has Speech Therapy through the school district and is enrolled in birth-to-3. I'm not sure if we'll continue those services or go to private ones. I'm leaning towards private ones because in this area, they seem to be of better quality.

Just hearing how others make it work is inspiring. Also, knowing the road ahead will be bumpy but blessed is music to my ears.

My church has a mother of special needs children group that I just started attending.

Because we love to read, and I saw how easily Jo learned through great books. It just fits with our family.

Yes, but not because of Oliver! :Big Grin:

Right now, I'm really excited about the way he's taking to Montessori-style puzzles and games.

Kadie

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? ds 14,autism, dd 12
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 2001
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? we decided to hs because ds needed intensive one on one
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? speech thearpy
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? ideas, not feeling alone
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? no, but for the past 2 years I have been working as an aide at a school for children with autism
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? books
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? YES
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Shurley English, handwriting without tears, educational computer games, wii fit.

Peace,

french2000

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? ds7 (being evaluated by behavioral ped. most likely ADD -inatentive form, visual tracking problems) dd6 & ds3 (no special needs) dd 19 months (celiac, failure to trive, speech delays, probably hearing loss, SID) & dd7 weeks (just prcious!!)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? We homeschooled for 2 1/2 years but the kids spent the second semester of this year in public school
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We chose to hoemschool before any needs came up.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Currently the oldest two are in public school but recieve no services ds 7 sees a behavioral pediatrician. dd 19 months has a slew of doctors recieves private speech therapy and is in the process of being referred for early intervention services for OT.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I just found this forum.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Just for the Celiac.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I love to read and the kids love being read to. The highlight of turning 4 in our house is that you get to get your own library card.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? ds7 could not do the LA so we chose something else that was slower and had much less writing. Otherwise no.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? none yet.

I look forward to getting to know you better and bring the big kids back home in the fall.

nrmom

Hi!! My name is Natasha, and I am totally new to homeschooling. We live in Arkansas and will be starting Core K in the fall.

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? My son is five and he has a seizure disorder called epilepsy.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? Just about to start.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I believe I can give him a better education than public school or even an IEP. I think he will thrive with the one-on-one.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Just joined a few days ago, but learning a lot.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Yes, an on-line support group called Epilepsy Foundation parents helping parents.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I liked nearly everything about it.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Not sure yet.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Haven't started yet, but looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. Since I am so new to all this, any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Natasha

Bibliowyrm

Dd 15-NT but very clumsy, asthma, allergies, prone to getting really sick several times a year
    Ds 14-Asperger's, SPD, L/D (several), ADHD, allergies, Anxiety issues

Since Nov 2004, 4.5 years now.
    We pulled ds out of PS in 4th grade because of issues, dd came along for the ride. Neither kid wants to ever go back to PS.

Private when needed. OT for ds was the only thing we used.
    It lets me know I am not alone. Sometimes I find things that help me get a grip on what is going on or find sympathy or . . . you get the idea.

Only online. There is a dearth of support groups in my area.
    I needed Instructor Guides, the kids wanted to study history "from the very beginning, Mommy, as far back as we know" and we all liked books. We started with Core 6 and my dc just thrived with it.
    I do have to cut books that ds gets weirded out reading. I can't really tell ahead of time which ones will weird him out. Some he just can't get into and sometimes I cut those. Dd doesn't really need adjustments.
    Ds hated Saxon Math, while loving Life of Fred math & Teaching Textbooks Algebra. I also supplemented our cores with more non-fiction for ds, as he really likes non-fiction.

Karen

I really appreciate having this forum to come to when I am feeling overwhelmed or having a SN day. It seems like there is always someone who can relate to me and my situation. I don't talk to many people IRL about my son and our issues. They just don't get it. He is so well-spoken and well-behaved now, if shy. How can I explain to them the 14yo who sobs in my lap when a pet rat dies or who swings in the backyard for hours a day while listening to his MP3? On rainy days, when he can't swing, it is like being in a cage with a big cat - pace pace pace, lash out, pace pace pace, growly eating, pace pace pace.

I just wish there was a place for my dd (her brother's protector and oh how I wish she didn't have to do that!) to talk to someone in her situation. She gets so protective & angry, and then doesn't know how to let it go. Her heart is so big and she just cannot stand the things normal kids don't understand about S/N kids. She has done this almost all her life. I thank God for her every day and try not to place any burdens on her about her brother but you know how it is. He wants to go do things with the other kids and if she isn't there, something always ALWAYS goes wrong. It is getting better as he gets older but so slowly.

Anyway. Sorry for TMI, I guess.

Kristi

Mommy Mo

Hi everyone,

The last time I made a SL core purchase I didn't fully recognize the reading difficulties my ds was having. This time around I am really appreciating all the help placing him (and the girls) in the right cores with the right LA.

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs? dd12, ds 11 (dyslexia), dd 8, dd5.5 All my kids seem to be slower to read but the oldest has surpassed her grade level a few years ago.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? Hsing 8 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? While homeschooling and very, very happy we found out this way.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We are in a public charter that pays for Powerline tutoring. Last year it was weekly and the year before 2x per week.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Just getting started with this forum. I will be looking for advice on placing my kids in the right cores and LA.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No, but several moms at my coop has had kids in the same tutoring as my son and they have been very supportive and encouraging. It has been like a support group.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I love books! I've loved almost all of their choices. When my dd was 5 and we were beginning homeschooling and I ordered a bunch of catalogs. When I saw that I get could kids books and read them to her for Kindergarten, well I thought that was the greatest!
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yes.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? I love Explode the Code, books on CD, Powerline with a few months of Susan Barton at the beginning of the phonics training sessions, these were for my dyslexic son. OH, and Legos!

Looking forward to the "community" support.

Michon

mideastmom

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs? 10yods, 8yods (possible very mild ASD and/or auditory processing; has difficulty with auditory directions and picking up on social clues), 6yodd, 3.5yods (PDD-NOS/ASD/atypical autism, newly diagnosed), -1mods :)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? since oldest was in Pre-K, so six years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? found out while hs'ing
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We used a university psychology dept to get ZL's diagnosis, and we're exploring what options are available in English where we live. We'll possibly be doing speech therapy. All private.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? It helped me get some direction when we were first wondering what was up with ZL, and I'm camping here these days as we wade into therapy and biomedical interventions, especially "all on our own," since we're overseas.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Our assessor recommended joining an on-line group for parents of kids with autism. I think I'll do this eventually, but it sounds too overwhelming right now (we're moving in a week and having a baby a couple of weeks after that), so, for now, this is my support group, with the addition of a particular IRL friend who's walked this road. Plus, I trust you guys already. :)
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? It is absolutely, completely, without-a-doubt perfect for our family. Dh and I are avid readers, and I am a firm believer in authentic literature-based education (and that was actually the theory I was trained in as an education major in university, which is rare).
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? The three I'm schooling so far are gifted/advanced readers, so I've had to tweak the LA to keep the grammar at their level while they read ahead in the readers. Ironically, ZL is on track to read earlier than any of them (letters/phonics/spelling is his main fixation), so I'll probably have to do the same with him, just with more major modifications due to his spoken/receptive language issues.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? We're just starting to implement it, and I haven't even gotten onto the site to look at all the on-line resources yet (again, sounds overwhelming at this point), but I have very high hopes for Dr. James McDonald's Play to Talk/Communication Partners therapy method. It seems tailor-made to our particular situation (parent doing the therapy, speech delay being the major issue).

Thanks to everyone for all of their help already!

Mel B

Hi, I'm Melanie, new here.

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? DS 7, autism, receptive/expressive language delays & gastrointestinal issues, food allergies
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? This is our 2nd grade year, we've been homeschooling him since he was born, lol.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We were planning to homeschool him anyway.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No outside services, we do everything
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Just got here
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Just online support groups
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Saw the catalog when my son was 3 or 4 and fell in love with the idea of NO BORING TEXTBOOKS
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? We have to adapt LIFE to work for us, lol. We take frequent breaks and work at our own pace.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Feelings faces cards from Super Duper Inc.

Tea in the Toolbox

I'm sure glad to get to know you all a bit better. I posted on here year before last under the name "redgar"

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs? DS 14, Aspergers and Mood Disorder, DS 12, FASD, Anxiety Disorder with a bit of OCD, DS 10 and DD 5, both without special needs and attending public school.

How long have you been homeschooling? this will be my 3rd year with DS 14 at home and my second year with my DS 12

Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Because of their special needs and because they requested to come home. Prior to homeschooling my oldest child was in a ps gifted classroom with an aide, while my DS10 was in a self contained special ed classroom due to behavioral issues

Do you use outside services? private? public school? We have used outside private and ps resources in the past, but not currently

How does this forum provide support for you? It reminds me I'm not alone

Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No

Why did you choose Sonlight? Great books and fits my teaching style

Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I need to reduce the writing for my DS14. This will be my DS12's first year with Sonlight. (We did, however, supplement with some readers last year.) I had to choose a much lower core than normally suggested. (He is going into 6th grade and we will be doing Core 1 + 2) I also add in some other materials as I feel inclined

What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Can-Do Printing by HWT really helped my oldest son. We also really enjoy some of the ideas from BraveWriter.

alantschool

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Ages 9,7,3,1. The only one with special needs is my 7 year old boy. He has many developmental delays and learning disabilities. Previously they thought he fell in the autism spectrum but the diagnosis is now leaning towards Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia with a possible genetic connotation. Still busy with tests and evaluations.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 4 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Both.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Not now. We did in the past and will use Speech and Occupational therapy in the near future.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Reading about other people's struggles with their kids seems to make mine feel smaller in my own eyes.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Because of the christian base and that a previous speechtherapist suggested a literature based curriculum for him.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? No, I only add some extra Grammar.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Nothing favorite comes to mind now.

I see that this is a long hard road, and sometimes I get discouraged a bit. And then I get up and go on.

MsFacetious

How old are your dc and what are their special needs?

5 and 6 years old.

My 5 year old has Asperger's. She was premature and had a lot of health/seizure issues.

My 6 year old just has Down syndrome, she is my "typical" one.

Since they were born. They have never been to school or daycare.

It was a part of our decision yes. They were diagnosed at birth and 2 years old. With my 5 year old her social issues are a huge reason we home school her. She would be tortured in school.

With my older one we home school her more because we can't find a teacher who believes in her. It's always "I love children with Down syndrome! I actually get to play with them because I don't have to teach them."

Do you use outside services? private? public school.

No, not anymore. We may do some private speech therapy again though.

Mostly just reminding me that I'm not the only one who does this. Watching others and how they do it, gives me ideas.

There are a few message boards but I don't use them. We have a group in person but I'm not really active. I don't feel I need support. I am just available to support new parents if needed I guess.

Books, books and books.

I choose to add more in the history/geography area simply because my kids are oddly fascinated by that. So we read biographies and learn much more about geography. We will continue to do that. Everything else I believe we keep the same though.

I am in love with Usborne books. I am also loving Earlybird Math.

mom24.heritage

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs? almost 8yo ds; 6.5yo dd APD & mixed dominant & social delays; 3.5yo ds speech therapy & possible visual processing problems; 21mo ds
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 3 yrs
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? while hsing (she was in pre-k out of home because we wanted someone else's opinion on her behavior)
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? we used IU13 social class & home visiting teacher
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I need to know that I am not alone and be able to find methods that help her (and later my 3rd child if need be) to learn to her full potential
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? the great books and the biblical perspective!! I wanted to teach like this last year but never could keep up with purchasing and borrowing enough books
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? don't know yet - this is our 1st yr with our non-LD oldest child; using Sci 2 for he and dd but plan on waiting until she can read to start SL with her
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? RightStart Math is awesome - manipulatives and games that solidify strategies in the student's heads w/o lots of boring worksheets - I haven't switched or wanted to switch since we started it 2 years ago!

Nice to meet you all! Thanks for your info and opinions here!

Blessings,

Andrea

Fauche

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? DS is 11 [12 in Sept.] and dyslexic. DD 8
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? Both kids since K4-but one year of international school [DS grade 5 and DD grade 1]
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Mostly because lived without English school for a number of years and returned because of difficult travel as well as thinking that I could do much better than DS's teacher who didn't know a thing about 'learning disablities' and thought that I wasn't pushing him hard enough. As I too have dyslexia I understand many of my DS's frustrations and really had some issues with this teacher's attitude.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Not alone and I hope that I can offer some encouragement.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Was suggested by our org. as possibly a better fit for DS than the Abeka that we had used before. The books are a great way for all of us to learn history as it is great for us visual learners.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Still trying to find a spelling that clicks. Reduce some of the writing-let DS dictate or give a speach.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? need to think about it as nothing is popping to mind.

Karen

jbgwilson

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? dd 11, ADHD, only child (like Mom)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 3 1/2 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Because of--found out while dd was in public school, 2d grade.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Not outside of private extracurricular lessons. Have tried tutors but not helpful.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? You all get it! ;) I've never posted, but lurking the forum has helped ground me many times. I've gotten some good curriculum ideas.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No. I'm not aware of any in my area. I tried to start one and did end up with a good friend with similar challenges. :angel:
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? My dd didn't like reading. I LOVE reading! Sonlight helped me turn her around. Now, she still struggles some but absolutely loves a good book. :yes:
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I've kept up the pace through earlier cores but will extend the Core 5 schedule. This is my 1st year not to order LA, which hasn't worked well for a couple years now. Used other Bible. Haven't tried Science or Math.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? SL cores, Kidspiration software, Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables, Menu Math, Apologia elementary science, Discover 4 Yourself inductive Bible studies by Kay Arthur.

Karen

Hi all! Looking forward to sharing with you. Thanks for being here! :goodbye:

jbgwilson

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? dd 11, ADHD, only child (like Mom)
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? 3 1/2 years
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? Because of--found out while dd was in public school, 2d grade.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Not outside of private extracurricular lessons. Have tried tutors but not helpful.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? You all get it! ;) I've never posted, but lurking the forum has helped ground me many times. I've gotten some good curriculum ideas.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No. I'm not aware of any in my area. I tried to start one and did end up with a good friend with similar challenges. :angel:
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? My dd didn't like reading. I LOVE reading! Sonlight helped me turn her around. Now, she still struggles some but absolutely loves a good book. :yes:
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? I've kept up the pace through earlier cores but will extend the Core 5 schedule. This is my 1st year not to order LA, which hasn't worked well for a couple years now. Used other Bible. Haven't tried Science or Math.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? SL cores, Kidspiration software, Memorize in Minutes: The Times Tables, Menu Math, Apologia elementary science, Discover 4 Yourself inductive Bible studies by Kay Arthur.

Karen

Hi all! Looking forward to sharing with you. Thanks for being here! :goodbye:

shaylar

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? Soon to be 5-year old daughter. She is developmentally delayed in all areas except fine motor skills.
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? On and off until June when we started P4/5 with Sonlight.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I have always planned on homeschooling.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Daughter went to a public preschool for developmentally delayed kids, but I didn't like it and pulled her out after 3 months.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? It's interesting to see everyone's ideas and how they handle stuff.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Nope.
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? I choose Sonlight because they teach from a Biblical perspective and I like the literature based approach.
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? Yep.
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Hooked on phonics and a set of Childcraft books written back in the 40's or 50's - those books are great!

DanniJo_K

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? My girls are 8 & 9, and my 9 yo. has Asperger's Syndrome
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? Since the beginning! :)
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? We had made that decision before finding out.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We are involved with a great therapist who also does horse-therapy with her.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? Well, I'm really just coming back to the Sonlight forums after a long hiatus.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Yes, there is a local special needs support network which has all sorts of opportunities including parental support as well as activities for special need children and activities for the SIBLINGS of special need children!
  7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Many reasons, but it was actually the "Reasons NOT to use Sonlight" article that convinced me. I was OK with putting in the hours, if it meant that I was going to be able to introduce my kids to amazing literature, and we would all get to learn the "hows" and "whys" of history instead of JUST the "wheres" and "whens".
  8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? There is a little tweeking here and there, but all-in-all, we love Sonlight!
  9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? As silly as it sounds, we have really been enjoying Singapore Math. It has made a huge difference with my dd's attitude toward math. She is now really excited about it and doing really well!

Karen

Thank you so much for starting this! Now I'm going to go back and read over others' answers!! B)

thystledown

B/G twins age 10. girl is dysgraphic and probably dyslexic, but reads way above grade level with excellent comprehension. Feel silly on this forum, because our problems are so mild and her test scores so high, but she can't write or spell or use proper punctuation, etc. And that's a problem for math too. Other related issues. Is getting to be a bigger problem each year. dyslexia and ambidexterity runs in my family.

1. How long have you been homeschooling? always
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? while
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? none
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? helped me figure out the problem
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? no
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? literature and I don't like to write out curriculum even though I'm a certified teacher--I have better things to do with my time
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? yep
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? ?

molgrace

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? DD, 6, mostly outgrown severe food allergies, DS, 4 (almost 5) PDD-NOS, SPD, DD 18mos just happy to be here!
  2. How long have you been homeschooling? This is our first year, we are doing a combined P3/4 and P4/5 this year with individual Math, Reading and LA for DD 6.
  3. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? It was because of my son's dx that God pulled me into homeschooling. I knew if he couldn't use the bathroom by himself, he wouldn't be able to be in a classroom! (There is no special ed where we are.) DD is at home this year too because I need her to have a positive role in DS's therapy and life.
  4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? We have begun private OT recently and hope to add Speech as OT becomes more routine for DS.
  5. How does this forum provide support for you? I'm new here, but I'm hoping to find others who understand the huge challenge and daily struggle of raising special needs kids. I feel pretty alone right now.
  6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? nope, but I should.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc?Not in Preschool.
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? We're just taking it all easy right now. I'll cross the academic bridges later.

We live overseas and sometimes I feel like my ds is getting the short end of the deal because we don't have public resources that are available elsewhere. Lately though I realize what is good about our current situation. We have private OT who comes to our house (no horrible transitions to go through for ds who hates to leave where he is.) God has provided someone who speaks enough English for good communication, but the OT is basically teaching me everything she would normally do so I work with him myself. This gives me the tools I need to help him whenever and wherever, but it is also a ton of work and we have to buy all the equipment ourselves.

KellieinItalynow

Can you all just allow me to say that I've not wanted to identify with this Forum as much as I now need to?

Whew....got it off my chest.

4 kids

DD1- Dyslexic and we got through it by writing and writing and writing out everything from Explode the Code to Wordly Wise to Dictation. Currently in college on scholarship, nursing major, GREAT GRADES!

DS 1- Newly dx'd at age 15 Aspergers/Sensory Integration issues and probably lots of more comorbid things to come. (depression to name one off the bat) He's currently in an Emergency Shelter awaiting placement in a residential facility for Aspie issues along with other stuff you REALLY DON'T want to know.

DD 2- slow to develop academically but no dx at this time. Amazing girl, making up ground fast!

DS 2- nuthin'

HOmeschooling 13 years this year.

I have used the P.S. in the past when we spent a year in therapy for my DS1.

Don't adapt SL at all....just plow through.

That about does it for now....

mideastmom

We live overseas and sometimes I feel like my ds is getting the short end of the deal because we don't have public resources that are available elsewhere. Lately though I realize what is good about our current situation. We have private OT who comes to our house (no horrible transitions to go through for ds who hates to leave where he is.) God has provided someone who speaks enough English for good communication' date=' but the OT is basically teaching me everything she would normally do so I work with him myself. This gives me the tools I need to help him whenever and wherever, but it is also a ton of work and we have to buy all the equipment ourselves. [/color']

I can totally relate to the bolded statement above. It's so neat to see how God has provided for you where you are. I think our lack of resources may actually be God's provision in our situation. It's forcing me to stay home and stay focused on ds, instead of running him from one therapy to another. I truly believe a lot of therapy is really best done in the day-in, day-out living where it applies (or at least I'm trying to remind myself that I believe this), so it's just as we'll that that's what we're "stuck with." There are days, though, when it sure would be nice to feel like there were a host of "professionals" taking care of ds's need.

Can you all just allow me to say that I've not wanted to identify with this Forum as much as I now need to?

Only if I'm allowed to agree. B)

:hug: Sounds like a really rough point to be at. Praying that God will give you the strength to find what is needed to meet the entire family's needs (including your own).

KellieinItalynow

I just became a follower of your blog! You've done a GREAT job with it.

Thanks for you kind words. Things are HARD here. But God is good and I'm learning all about Grace....for the first time I think I may be really getting down deep, the idea of Grace.

mideastmom
I just became a follower of your blog!

Hm, guess I should actually do something with it, huh?

You've done a GREAT job with it.

Seriously, thanks. I enjoy it, but it's been a smashed six months or so, and I'm just now beginning to feel like I could get back to it.

I'm considering doing another one just for our journey to healing (in faith) with ZL. Just journaling/documenting what we're doing and our progress. We'll see if that materializes.

Thanks for you kind words. Things are HARD here. But God is good and I'm learning all about Grace....for the first time I think I may be really getting down deep' date=' the idea of Grace.[/quote']

Just today, dh and I were discussing how we need to see our daily interactions with ZL as sanctifying, not frustrating, and, of course, then, I got lots of opportunities to practice that, in particular, the rest of the day. I have to remember that God put ZL in our family for a reason and that He has purposes for me in this process. It's just so much easier to get frustrated and complain. B)

Poppy

Karen

1.Hello my name is Christina and I have four children, Hannah is 10, Kristian is 8, Victoria is 6 and Ethan is 5.

2.This September will be our second year homeschooling.

3.Yes I did homeschool because of Kristian's special need. He is Autistic, the town we live in does not offer good support in the schools and I grew weary of seeing him struggle.

4. Yes I did use outside services. Infact services were apart of our life until this year. He has improved drastically. We had OT, Speech and Language, Behavioral therapists, and IBI . Currently I have respite care and basically fund programs we think will benefit him.

5.Not a lot to be very honest. I am newish and there seems to be cliques on here.

6. Yes I belong to the Autism Society here in my town.

7. It seemed acedemic, open minded and reminded me of a LIberal Arts education. Having grew up overseas I love all the international content.

8. Yes I do. My two older children love the format but the younger two are extremely busy doing kids. I cut out a lot with them and only treach the basics. I find there is too much with SOnlight and it is very easy to overdo it.

9. THe books, they have become avid readers and the books are interesting !!

purplefq

1. What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? My daughter is now 8 and she has High Functioning Autism, SID and Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (Dyspraxia by any other name!)

2. How long Formally for 4 years but of course since she was born so 8 years!

Well sort of. When my dd didn't talk at 2 and a half I thought she is never going to fit into any school environment so started to look into Home Education - I knew you could do it in the USA but I wasn't sure about in the UK but of course I found all the information I needed - which wasn't much at the time! When dd didn't talk until she was four and we got the early diagnosis I knew we had made the right decision.

4. Do you use outside services? private? public school? Once you choose home education in the UK you don't have a choice of using any schools except for private school which are way too expensive for most of the population in the UK. None of the services in the school are available to home educators! There is the odd school that will allow flexi-school where a child may go into school part time but this is rare. We dumped the National Health Service (NHS) which is free at point of need because all the professionals we came across were anti-home-education! We have a private peadiatrician, Speech Therapist and Physiotherapist but the cost is astronomical. We pay high taxes in this country and we still pay towards the NHS and the education system although we have to pay for home education ourselves!

5. How does this forum provide support for you? I haven't really used this particular forum that much as although the issues are similar in the way we teach our children, the culture of the USA in medical and educational services are so different that generally any advice in those areas would not really help me and I couldn't help others. However, I do have periods where I post good news or ask for advice on Sonlight issues and I loved the newbie list forum that I was on when I first came to Sonlight.

6. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Yes but these are within the UK mostly online but I work within a campaign group called Autism In Mind fighting the Govt for our children's rights and better services for them.

7. Why did you choose Sonlight? Oh I just fell in love with Sonlight from the very first time I saw the website/magazine! I read it for two years before we were ready to order Pre K. We have also done K and now are on to Level 1. The just wonderful literature rich method of this curriculum is unlike no other available anywhere. There is nothing like it in the UK - not until you get to the Open University Level anyway. My dd loves me to read to her and she is just in love with books. There are always loads of piles of them all over the house!

8. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? We took two years to do K and are taking two years to do level 1 and it works well for us as we also add loads of British stuff in with it so we do like a double curriculum in a way over the two years. We may only take 1 year over level 2 though. We use Horizons which works well but the LA isn't working too well for us as the logistics and methods in the USA are different to the UK. We still read it and have it available for reference though and use some of the methods. We also use Science and Bible of course and HWTs which is certainly helping dd with her handwriting as it is really difficult with her dyspraxia. I hope we will use Sonlight right through as we LOVE the books and the excitement at having 4 box days now is like nothing on earth!

9. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? Well Sonlight is top but other than that books, books and more books! We also like lapbooking and unit studies and dd loves to make EVERYTHING that Sonlight suggests so loads of storage needed to put away everything she makes is important in this house LOL We also have a trip-trap chair so that it brings dd up to the table at her height with a foot rest and her computer is essential too.

Karen b from the UK who is still loving Sonlight and dd LOVES the questions that Sonlight provide with every book!

omelay

Hello, everyone. I am new here and just introduced myself in the Core 1 forum. You could read that over here. Anyway, I feel like more of my homeschooling journey will take place here.

I have 4 children and one, my 2-almost-3 year old, is a challenge. Of course I am not actually schooling him, but as you probably know he makes my every moment interesting. I already struggle, and anticipate the need to be creative about getting schooling going with my older kids. Ok, here are my answers to the questions...

What are the ages of your dc & what are their special needs?

Tristan is 7 and NT, Kassiopeia is 5 and NT, Anatoly is 2, almost 3 and is not completely understood. So far he has a Sensory Processing Disorder diagnosis, an unspecified seizure disorder for which he is on medication, and likely will get a PDD or Asperger's diagnosis when he is old enough. We have been through a few neurology appointments and opinions, tests... Anatoly has been a mystery for awhile. He is bright and shows no cognitive issues. He is physically not delayed in any way. He has strange speech, is very sensory seeking (violent) and does not sleep very much at all. I could go on and I am sure I will in this forum later! Finally, Romneya (we call him Rome) is 1 year old and seems the most peaceful little boy ever.

Like others, since birth. But what I mean is my oldest is just 7 and we have never used public school, so we are newbies.

I always hoped to homeschool, even before having children, though I was pubic schooled myself.

We did a few months of EI/ First Steps for Anatoly who qualified for OT. But eventually I found it invasive and we quit. I do not intend to use the EI now that he is almost 3 and it is handled by the public school system.

Well, I just joined, but it seems a wonderful place!

No, but I do have one Very Good Friend who understands.

Actually, that same very good friend suggested I try Sonlight. My life is so frazzled with a farm and Toly and the other children and everything, I need solid, easy, out of the box help getting started homeschooling.

Well, that is why I see this forum as being so important. While Anatoly is not the child I will be using the Core with, he will be with me the whole time, and I anticipate needing help and ideas on how to make it work.

Honestly? Chewy Tubes.

Nice to 'meet' you all!

Marcie

Whew....got it off my chest.

I totally understand. I've avoided it myself, partly because I just don't know what to call our issues, partly because so many other people have it so much worse and I don't want to "whine", partly because I just wanted to believe that if I am tailoring what I do to each child's needs, then it shouldn't matter what makes my dc different. It's hard though, and I think I may need some help. I'll probably be mostly a lurker for now, though.

Karen

1. My dc are: dd9, ds11.

DD9, ???? she is a very, very challenging kid. The kind that no parenting or discipline method really works on. The kind that can throw a 3 hour tantrum even if you calmly place her in her room and ignore it. I believe she is a "frustrated perfectionist" so that whenever she doesn't "get" something, she would rather freak out and turn the rest of the day into a giant fight than try to understand it. In some ways, I think she may be the way she is because when she was a baby/toddler, ds had so many issues that maybe this is the strategy she developed for making sure she gets her share of attention.

DS 11 ?????? No dx has ever really fit. He has been in and out of therapy since he was 4. Possibly gifted, or some sort of asynchronous development. He spoke at 8 mo old, knew his colors by 12 mo old, all the letters and the sounds of the consonants by 17 mo old. However, this all seemed to level out with age; he could sound out words at 3 but didn't really read until almost 6. He doesn't seem particularly advanced in any academic area now. When we had him tested because he was having trouble in first grade, he "only" tested in the 85th percentile for IQ. The tester told me he was "not that smart". Yeah, I never went back there. And she was supposed to be the best in the area. Most people who meet him are amazed by him and think he is just so smart. And I wish they'd quit telling him that, because it doesn't make life any easier for him.

He also definitely has anxiety issues. That was his last round of therapy. 2 years ago, he couldn't leave the house without feeling he was going to throw up. Thankfully, he is ok most of the time now; he just gets anxious and nauseous when anything out of the ordinary happens. He takes Valerian under the instruction of a Naturopath, and he feels it helps him make it through.

Possible OCD or Asperger's: Again, neither one really fits. Counselor thought OCD, but I didn't really agree. Therapy with that counselor seemed to make him worse, and I stopped it. He's definitely obsessive, but without any true compulsions as far as I could understand them. He did develop one actual compulsion in 1st grade, but I was able to apply some CBT techniques I had learned with him and nip it in the bud. He has problems around the area of social cues as well. His obsessions/intense interests make it hard for him to relate to other kids. They usually just don't get him. Since 1st grade, we've worked hard at teaching him to at least be conversant in things like basketball, video games, Pokemon, etc. I'll never forget the day he said to me "Why do I have to learn about what the other kids are interested in, but they don't have to learn about what I'm interested in? It just isn't fair!" Praise the Lord, he does have a couple friends through church and I am able to make sure they get together one on one. He holds his own ok in a 1 on 1 situation.

Probable ADD, not hyper. The kid is highly distractable. Things like watching the numbers change on the digital clock will totally make him forget what he was supposed to be doing. It is the ADD that really has me coming here to learn what else I can do. I think for my own sanity, I really just need to believe and accept that he can't help it. Meds are probably not an option, as dh is very opposed to it. He says he was just the same as a boy (and I believe him), and believes that ds will grow up to be just fine. I'm sure he's right, it's just awful hard to be responsible for trying to teach him to function without me riding him all day.

2. We are just now beginning our 3rd year hs'ing.

3. Homeschooling because of ds's needs. He went through 3rd grade at a CS, and I was tired of trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

4. Outside services: he has been in and out of therapy, and sees a naturopath for homeopathy. All private, never through the schools, as I don't even know what I'd ask them for.

5. Just started coming to this forum, but I love the other SL forums. I love to get ideas from parents who've btdt, and to know I'm not alone in the challenges I face.

6. No outside support groups.

7. I chose SL because my dc love to read and be read to. I knew if I could make a large part of their education revolve around great books, I'd have a good part of the battle won.

8. DD is a lot more oppositional to working together than I thought she'd be. I've had to get things for her that she can do on her own in place of the spines for core 3+4. She enjoys the readers and ras. Since she is always the one on the young end for what we're doing, I've modified a lot of the writing assignments to make them simpler. Last year she did most of them orally with me acting as scribe. Next year I'm going to do WP with her so that she totally has her "own" thing, which I hope will help. I've modified for ds by allowing him to work his schedule horizontally. He does much, much better that way.

9. For math, I love Aleks for ds; seeing only one problem at a time is a God send for him.

I'm glad to meet you all, and look forward to learning from you, and hopefully having something encouraging to add along the way.

carmi

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? dd 9, ds 9 (tomorrow) - emotional disturbance, multiple skeletal abnormalities, ds 7 - HFA, ds 6 - FAS, ADHD

1. How long have you been homeschooling? dd 9 - all but 3 months, ds 9 - past 2 years, ds 7 - always, ds 6 - for past 3 years
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? during
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? until adoption was final used PS w/ ds 9. Private with all else.
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? Just came back to the forums.
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? No. But have 2 great friends with special needs children.
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? the books. Can't wait to start back!!
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? We had to slow down the RA's and use a different LA
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc? lots and lots of literature, FLL, Getty-Dubay Italics, videos to go along with the books

Susanw/5

Hi everyone! I'm Susan and I have 5 children, 3 of which I currently HS. I'm so excited to have found this forum! I struggle with HSing one of my kids...thankfully the other two are pretty easy :)

What are the ages of your dc & what are there special needs ? I am HS a dd and ds, age 10, and a ds who is 8. My 8 yr old has ADHD and some mild sensory issues. I also have a 2 yr old ds and a 5 yr old ds, who just started kindergarten in a local school in their autism program.

1. How long have you been homeschooling? This is my first year!!
  2. Did you homeschool because of your dc's special needs or did you find out about them while homeschooling? I knew I could do a better job for my one son at home...and hopefully decrease his meds. (Not making any judgements--I hate the side effects!)
  3. Do you use outside services? private? public school? No, but am currently looking for some social groups.
  4. How does this forum provide support for you? My first time here....can't say yet!
  5. Do you belong to any support groups for parents of dc with special needs? Many online groups for ASD and ADHD and biomedical interventions for both.
  6. Why did you choose Sonlight? Loved the richness of it and I knew I could adjust it easily to suit my children.
  7. Do you have to adapt Sonlight to work for you & your dc? So far, we skip a lot of practice for Math (his strong subject), and slow down the pace of all the LA. I read out loud even more than is scheduled to my one ds. (Which is alot :)
  8. What are your favorite resources that you've used with your dc?