Sign in to follow this  
Barbara

Core 100 and High School Resources

4evercanucks

Transferring info from old sticky.

This is recommended as a grade 7 reader on Amazon.

By Janet Lunn: Recommended as either a Read-Aloud or a Reader. Approx 200 pp.

Set in 1815 in Prince Edward County, Ontario, this book tells the story of young Mary Urqhart, who has travelled from Scotland to settle in the wilderness of Upper Canada. She expects to meet her cousin, but finds he is dead, and is left to settle there on her own. She's strong, and she does just fine, making Upper Canada her own home.

I will say that it does contain elements that not everyone will be comfortable with, because it deals with the "Second Sight," but the story is beautifully told, and it is a classic, award-winner: It won the Canadian Library Award and the Young Adult Book Award.

4evercanucks

Transferring info from old sticky.

Some readers and read alouds:

Sweetgrass by Jan Hudson - a coming of age Blackfoot story set in Alberta probably 18th or 19th century. Good depiction of way of life, some spirituality. Dc enjoyed it.

Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat - we did as RA, dc loved it. Portrays interaction of white culture, subarctic Cree, Chipewayan, Inuit. Great adventure story with lots of references to differences in these various peoples. Even reference to Vikings. Low key on spirituality stuff.

Debbie

Sweetgrass: Recommended as a reader for grades 5 - 10 on Amazon

Lost in the Barrens: Recommended as a reader for ages 10-16 on Amazon

I have excluded two of the books from the above older post as I did not find reader levels. The OP or anyone else that has the info is welcome to help out with the other two books I excluded.

CleoQc

Johnny

A Spy's Life By R. S. Rose and Gordon D. Scott

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/978-0-271-03569-7.html

Disclaimer: I have not read this book (yet). I'm putting it in the high school section because of its subject matter.

I find this book noteworthy because as Canadians, we don't celebrate enough the heroes among us.

“Johnny fought against injustice and tyranny all his life. We are lucky to have had him in Brazil and he is one of many unsung heroes in the ‘silent service.’ Former Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Cliff Harvison stated, ‘thank God he’s on our side.’” —Neil Pollock, former RCMP case officer and handler of Johnny de Graaf

“Johnny is a blue-collar spy whose real-life exploits are more daring than those of any fictional James Bond, and who is on the scene at more history-making events worldwide than Woody Allen’s peripatetic ‘Zelig.’ His story is a primer on the spy’s tradecraft as well.” —Charles D. Ameringer, author of U.S. Foreign Intelligence: The Secret Side of American History

“This book provides fascinating insight into the activities of an agent of Britain’s foreign intelligence service (SIS or MI6) that historians of intelligence have long wanted to know more about. It should be read by anyone interested in intelligence history or the history of international relations.” —Calder Walton, University of Cambridge

Johann Heinrich Amadeus de Graaf, known as Johnny all his life, was born on May 11, 1894, in Nordenham, near Bremerhaven in northwest Germany. He died at age 86 on December 2, 1980, in Brockville, Ontario, where he and his wife ran a tourist lodge. That he lived as long as he did is miraculous considering that he had spent many years acting as a double agent, pretending to work for Soviet intelligence while really functioning as an operative for Britains MI6.

His life had many twists and turns, and murder, treachery, intrigue, and violence were never far from his doorstep. Eventually joining the Spartacus Bund in 1919, which evolved into the German Communist Party, he later became a staunch anti-Communist and played a key role in undermining the efforts of Communists in Brazil to oust the government of Getúlio Vargas in 1935. After retiring from MI6, he even volunteered his services to the FBI's J. Edgar Hoover in 1950.

Based on documents from multiple government archives as well as many interviews, the most important of which was a series that Gordon Scott conducted with Johnny in 1975-76, this story of the life of a spy who hid behind sixty-nine different aliases during the course of his colorful career is a gripping tale of espionage and counterespionage during a critical period of the political history of the twentieth century.

MissKris

Images

Canada Through Literature

John Borovilos

What does it mean to be a Canadian in the 20th century? The short stories, poetry and essays gathered here off up compelling images of Canadian experiences and visions - as forged by our multifaceted landscape, history and peoples.

After each entry there are questions to ponder, critique and review the material presented. Great for essays, discussions, projects....

Prentice Hall

ISBN 0-13-255852

ETA: At the end there is also a book list of some higher-level novels, poetry and anthology that would work well for upper level highschool literature (ie in Core 300 or 400)

hrathech

It's kind of designed to last for about 28 weeks, but we're fast readers! so it could probably be stretched, easily. Dd is a voracious reader, but even she said the readers I was assigning was a lot of reading. I'm going to list lots of books, but you can pick and choose among them.

Dd is age 12 this year, and I call this her grade 7 year. She's definitely advanced, though, so I think this could be used for an older student, too.

At this point, I'm just going to list my books. If anyone is really interested, send me a PM and I can give you the actual pages read each day, that kind of info.

History Spines:

**The Story of Canada, by Janet Lunn

Canada, An Illustrated History, by Derek Hayes

The Spirit of Canada, Ed. Barbara Hehner

Symbols of Canada, Heritage Canada

Discovering Canada's Government, by Daniel Francis

(**this is the main spine. We read through this page by page, and found the pages from the other books that corresponded to the events in the Lunn book.)

Chapter 1: A Hundred Centuries

Readaloud: Nkwala by Edith Lambert Sharp

Readers: The Kid's Book of Aboriginal Peoples, Life in a Longhouse Village, The Inuksuk Book, Blood Red Ochre, Sweetgrass, The Whale People, Raven's Cry, Once More Upon a Totem

Chapter 2: Strangers on the Coast

Readaloud: The Dream Carvers, by J. Clark

Readers: The Kids Book of Canadian Exploration, Strange Footprints on the Land:Vikings in America, Man from St. Malo;the Story of Jacques Cartier, And Tomorrow the Stars:the story of John Cabot, Fur and Gold, The Story of Champlain;the First Canadian, Mutiny in the Bay, Lief the Lucky, Viking Quest

Chapter 3: Habitants and Voyageurs

Readaloud: The Winter People, by J. Bruschac, AND With Wolfe in Quebec;The Winning of a Continent by G.A. Henty

Readers: The Dangerous Cove, The Last of the Mohicans, The Hiding Place (by L. Cook), Tonty of the Iron Hand, The Wapiti, Sister to the Wolf, Banished from Our Home, (The Meeting Place, The Sacred Shore, The Beloved Land), A Land Divided, The Hand of Robin Squires, Flight from the Fortress, Battle for the Rock, Isobel Gunn, Medicine Maid, Redcoat Sailor, Raiders of the Mohawk, (Circle of Silver, By the Standing Stone, Under a Shooting Star), The King's Daughter, Calico Captive, Terra Incognita

This was arguably our favourite unit; we took a trip to Quebec City for Dd's birthday while we were immersed in it, stayed at the Historic Chateau Frontenac, walked the Plains of Abraham...read, as you can see, piles and piles of books. It was wonderful.

Chapter 4: The Colonists

Readaloud: The Backwoods of Canada by Catherine Parr-Trail

Readers: On Loyalist Trails, Honor Bound, Flight, The Hungry Year, The Perilous Year, Tecumseh, A River Apart, Laura's Choice, Bully Boys, Jeremy's War, The Good Soldier, The Rowboat War, The Kid's Book of Canadian Immigration, Island of Hope and Sorrow, Roughing it in the Bush (Susanna Moodie), Meyer's Creek, Fire Ship, The Belonging Place, (The Root Cellar, Shadow in Hawthorn Bay, The Hollow Tree), The Quarter Pie Window, the Sign of the Scales, The Shangymen of Cache Lake.

Chapter 5: The Great Northwest

Readaloud: Willa's New World by Barbara Demers

Readers: The Kid's Book of the Far North, Trader of the North, With Pipe Paddle and Song, Fur Trader, Coppermine Journey, Footsteps in the Snow, Mystery in the Frozen Lands, The True North (TC Fairley), Arctic Assignment.

I'm stopping here, just in case this is too long. I am afraid to type and type and get half of it cut off. More to follow.

hrathech

Chapter 6: Mountains and Oceans

Readaloud: A Trail of Broken Dreams (Dear Canada Series)

Readers: From Sea to Sea:Alexander MacKenzie, Bruckskin Brigadier, Captain of Discovery, The Farthest Shores, The Map-Maker, The Savage River:Seventy-one Days with Simon Fraser, The Blonde Voyageur, The Bold Heart, The Doll (C.Taylor), The Great Chief:Maskepetoon, Tell Me Grandmother, (The Canadian West Saga by J. Oke, 3 books), Incident at Hawk's Hill, Return to Hawk's Hill, Five Pennies:A Prairier Boy's Story

Chapter 7: Confederation Days

Readaloud: Factory Girl by Barbara Greenwood (lots of good Canadian books by this author!) AND Stone Orchard by S.E. Merrit

Readers: Confederation; the Dreadful Truth, Days of Toil and Tears, The Kid's Book of Black Canadians, The Last Safe House, If I just Had Two Wings, Battle cry at Batoche, Bugles in the Hills, The Boy With an R in His Hand, A Ribbon of Shining Steel, The Kid's Book of Canada's Railway, The Kid's Book of Canadian Prime Ministers, Brady (J.Fritz), Dark of the Moon, Spy in the Shadows.

Chapter 8: Sunny Ways

Readaloud: Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (brilliant book, hilariously funny, we loved this one!)

Readers: Down the Yukon, Stampede North, Gold Rush Fever, Josepha;A Prairie Boy's Story, Onboard the Titanic, Promise Song, Flower, Living Freight, Mary Manaway;The Legacy of a Homechild, Orphan at My Door, The Mountain that Walked, Pit Pony, Jason's Gold.

Chapter 9: Stormy Times

Readaloud: Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery (and if Leacock made us laugh, this is the one that made us cry. Excellent book) AND Who Has Seen the Wind? by W.O. Mitchell

Readers: Brothers Far From Home, No Safe Harbour, The Kids Book of Canadians at War, Days of Terror, Knights of the Air, As for Me and My House, A Bird in the House, Breakaway, Butter Down the Well:Reflections of a Canadian Childhood, Winged Watchman, Tell No One Who You Are, Explosion at Dawson Creek, The Old Brown Suitcase;A Teenager's Story of War and Peace, Listen for the Singing, Irish Chain, Flying Geese, The Jade Peony, Naomi's Road (or Obasan-adult version of Naomi's Road), the Margaret Trilogy by B.T. Hunter.

Chapter 10: The Flying Years

Readaloud: Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

Readers: Angel Square, White Wave, One Proud Summer, Starbuck Valley Winter, Last Days in Africville, The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories, Black Joke, A Handful of Time, My Name is Seepeetza, Ravensong;a Novel, The Night Hazel Came to Town, Charlie Wilcox's Great War, Terry Fox;His Story.

And there you have it. As I was typing these out, I wanted to write down so many other books that I know are really good. There is a huge wealth of great Canadian historical fiction, and I had to pick only what I thought would be great for my dd. But if nothing else, this exercise opened my eyes to the treasure out there.

I hope this is helpful. It's obviously not a well organized core; I don't have the vocab and study questions and writing assignments that Sonlight comes up with. But it's been a rich time of reading and learning. Enjoy.

HSKate

I'm printing this now. Thank you so much for sharing that, Heather.

source of joy

I'm printing this off as soon as I get my Core 100 and I'll put it with the binder. I like to work ahead so I can assemble all those books slowly over the next two years. I'm hoping to feel less scattered for gr. 9 then I did when we did Core 3&4 and tried incorporating Canadian content with it.

MissKris

Found you! Was looking for Heather's list.

This Stickie has gotten a bit droopy! :giggle:

Thanks again Heather! Loved that list for units 1-5, off to review 6-10.

hrathech
Found you! Was looking for Heather's list.

This Stickie has gotten a bit droopy! :giggle:

Thanks again Heather! Loved that list for units 1-5, off to review 6-10.

I'm thrilled to know that people are actually using it! You're so welcome.

Sign in to follow this