Sign in to follow this  
Barbara

Canadian History / Geography General Resources

4evercanucks

Transfer from old sticky.

This is recommended as a reader for the 9-12 age range on Amazon.

By Linda Garfield, 64 pages. Kids Can Press

Kids get a close-up look at the political process and explore all aspects of an election — from the day Parliament is dissolved to the day after the polls close. Granfield charts the evolution of elections to the present day, when a candidate's media image can make or break the campaign. Canada Votes let kids in on how voting lists are now compiled electronically, what issue the last national referendum decided and more.

“A very good look at Canadian government for junior readers. Explains, with useful, lighthearted black and white illustrations, how Canadian federal elections are run, from every angle - polling stations, campaigns, eligibility, etc.” Emergency Librarian, April 1991

4evercanucks

Transferring resources from old sticky

I just got an interesting book, thicker, meant for older readers, so perhaps more of a read-aloud of selected passages: I Have Lived Here Since the World Began: An Ilustrated History of Canada's Native People, by Arthur J. Ray (Key Porter Press). It's more of a textbook, though, a bit dry, and as I say, for older readers. But it does have a lot of information in it, and some fascinating pictures, too.

Also, Kids Can Press has some really nice oversize books on different aspects of Canadian history, specifically designed for younger readers. I like their books very much.

The Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada, by Diane Silvey and John Mantha. It divides the native peoples into 8 subgroups by region. This is a beautiful book, and is fully indexed, as well.

Check out the other books in the series:

The Kids Book of Canada

The Kids Book of Canadian History

The Kids Book of Canadian Prime Ministers

The Kids Book of Black Canadian History

The Kids Book of Canada's Railway

The Kids Book of Canadian Exploration

The Kids Book of the Far North

The Kids Book of Canadian Firsts

The Kids Book of Great Canadians

I also saw the following two books as part of this series:

The Kids Book of Canadian Geography

The Kids Book of Great Canadian Women

4evercanucks

Transfer from old sticky

Have a fascinating book here called "Native Tribes of Canada by Douglas Leechman. Quite texty, but along the lines of Chow. It is 340 pages, does have black and white sketches on 2/3rds of the pages, but more for practical helps than artistic flavor. It goes into very good detail about all the different regions and their unique tribes, and something about the way the guy writes really tickles me. I think the TEXT of this book, would be a good pairing with the PICTURES from the Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples.

4evercanucks

Transferring resource recommendations from old sticky.

I have no idea if this is where to post this or not...but....my dc have a computer 'game that they absolutely love that is really a Canadian Geography course. It is called "Cross-Country Canada 2" You can actually go into it and set up scenario's for them (they go 'on a trip' and you assign them commodities that they have to acquire from different cities/areas ie logs from the forest or fruit from the Okanagan Valley etc). My dh knows much more about it as he was taught about how to use it in the local Christian school when he taught there last yr. They use this and 'All the Right Type' from the same company in the classroom here at the cs (we were able to purchase them very inexpensively throught the school).

They also have History, and much more on the website but I have no knowledge of those but I believe they also have demo's you can download.

www.ingenuityworks.com

4evercanucks

And another transfer from the old sticky.

I'll be ready to review Heather Penner's book' date=' [i']Modern History Through Canadian Eyes,[/i] soon, but unless I'm mistaken, it's going to be more of an IG than a text of its own - I will be picking up the second edition at our homeschooling conference in Kitchener at the end of March. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely thrilled to have an IG already created for me for Canada!

It's definitely an IG - there are things I would change (it should be indexed, and more dates need to be included. I wish she had left more space for us to pencil things in).

But it looks like a fabulous starting point for us. I'm cheered!

The Penner book IS a guidebook. It's like an IG without a schedule, using primarily The Story of Canada by Janet Lunn as its spine. She has a series of suggested titles, names of key persons in each time period (her time periods are broken up into the Story of Canada chapters), with suggested extra reading (by the dozen), extra viewing (DVDs) and so on. She has a bit of suggested scheduling near the back. It isn't indexed, which is a pity, and it's missing one single straightforward timeline, which would have been a huge improvement.

You can get a bit of a peek at it at http://www.solidoakpublishing.com/About.htm

It's not perfect, but it's something pretty good. Still some work lying ahead in terms of layout, but that should be individual anyway, and blending in Sonlight would mean doing it in any case.

4evercanucks

The Story of Canada, by Janet Lunn, Christopher Moore and Alan Daniel.

Paperback - 325 pages 3 edition (March 8, 2000)

Language: English

Key Porter Books ; ISBN: 1552631508

It's definitely a textbook, but as they go, it's not bad. I'm thinking of using this to parallel The Story of the USA...

As per recommendation below others have also used The Story of Canada as a spine and it has already been included in the Canadian History Spines sticky by another poster.

I purchased The Story of Canada as my "spine" for our Canadian Core. When I first flipped through this book it struck me as the type Sonlight would use if it were to put a CDN Core together.

4evercanucks

Scholastic Canada has a series: Scholastic Canada Biographies. They're very straightforward, well-organised and readable as short peeps into key figures in Canadian history.

Maxine Trottier wrote them, and they're all short little bites. A chapter a day, or every other day, would be great...just a little breaking up would be required, jumping them around to fit things chronologically. It would be great of Scholastic to put them together into a larger edition, but these smaller hands-on versions are nice for the kids to handle themselves, too.

Canadian Artists

Canadian Pioneers

Canadian Greats

Canadian Inventors

Canadian Stars

Canadian Leaders

Canadian Explorers

These would work really nicely in conjunction with the Kids Book of Canadian....series I listed above. The Kids Can Press books are more attractively laid out, but the information is reasonably varied and complimentary.

4evercanucks

For a more irreverant approach, try Scholastic's Famous Dead Canadians, by Joan Stanbridge, and First Folk and Vile Voyageurs, by Claire McKay. I'm not as crazy about the McKay book, but it's right in line with the Horrible Histories, if you like them.

4evercanucks

Transfer from old sticky

Acts of Courage, by John Melady (also Scholastic), is a 168-page book about the 17 people in history who have been awarded our top award for bravery, the Cross of Valour. Not all of this is easy to read - it's very intense, but inspiring.

4evercanucks

I highly' date=' highly recommend the [i']DISCOVERING CANADA [/i]series by Robert Livesey & A.G. Smith. I think there are 6 or 8 books in the series, such as The Vikings, The Fur Traders, and New France.

They are not a "text" book per se, in that they have boring chapters with questions at the end; but they are filled with text! No colour, but nice pictures and suggested activities accompany each chapter. Very easy to read. My 7 year old gets as much out of them as my 11 year old does.

4evercanucks

I just went to the OCHEC conference on the weekend and spent quite a bit of time looking at Canadian resources. I was impressed with the packages put together by Voyageur Publishing (a division of The Home Works). They have a package called Canada, Our Home which includes The Kids Book of Canada, The Kids Book of Canadian History, Leif the Lucky, Paddle to the Sea, Columbus and a Canadian colouring book. It also includes a study guide that offers suggested comprehension questions, vocabulary and supplementary activities. I think I will use this as the basis for my integration with Core 3 and 4...

Dara-Lynn

I bought this package in 2004 I think. We will definitely be using this as well. I think Home Works is closed now...I can't seem to get their website up anymore.

Link for Voyageur Publishing provided in old sticky no longer exists but I found this? Not sure about other suppliers so I am just linking what I found for now:

http://www.learninghouse.ca/productscat.php?process=titles&pubID=150&catID=19&subcatID=142

Barbara

Donna Ward

========================================

Another transfer from the old sticky. [originally posted by 4evercanucks]

========================================

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoogie30

I would also recommend Donna Ward materials (Canada, My County (grade 1-4) and Geography, Province by Province) for Geography. For History you can use other materials by her: Courage and Conquest and Natives come to mind. You also check out her website at www.donnaward.ca.

She is very passionate about Canadian history/geography; just heard her speak at a homeschoolconvention last week.

Keep below reviews/ thoughts in mind however:

=========================================

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kg on the island

This is a very good question. I have Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest and I am NOT impressed with it. I was all set to buy her whole kit and caboodle, but I'm glad I only started with this one, because I don't think I'll bother with the rest.

The C and C book is really just a quick synopsis of a person or event, which lists different resources to delve further into that part of history, and include a few questions per chapter. Once you actually delve into the resources she suggests, you don't need either her synopsis or her questions - they seem way to simple and boring after reading books like The Story of Canada and Canadian Biography for Young Readers.

I don't mean to offend anyone, honest. I just am less than impressed with Donna Wards materials. I think she'd be much better served providing a product along the lines of a SL IG or something like what Susan Wise Bauer has produced with the Story of the World series.

=======================================

Quote:

Originally Posted by storybookmum

That was my first impression as well, very superficial questions based on minimal text, but I had only a few sample pages to work from. It's too bad - the descriptors sounded great. I've heard so many people speak highly of her - I gather she's a terrific speaker.

I had a similarly disappointing experience with the Discovery Canada Series from Stoddart (now distributed through Fitzhenry and Whiteside). I checked them out all excited because they sounded wonderful - fortunately I started at the library, because they're no fun at all to work with. Really stellar covers...that you can't judge the book from....ah, well.

The other books that I'd warn people off are Pierre Berton's children's books that are deceptively cloaked as being historical fiction. I think they may be out of print now - I'm at work and my quick digging isn't turning up the titles, but they're just miserable. His adult work is another matter, but these sorry excuses for historical fiction were absolutely offensive. The back cover makes it sound as though the story will be all about young protagonists in the midst of key historical events, and then - no word of exaggeration - said character gets one or two passing sentences somewhere in the midst of an interminably boring history mini-text. Horrific.

======================================

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoogie30

OK, LOL, I stand corrected. We have used her "Canada, My Country" these past few months and it is not something my dd enjoyed. It is somewhat dry and textbooky.

Just printing out this thread so I can get some more 'livelier' books!

Thanks!

4evercanucks

Transfer from old sticky. Please see below a positive review on the Donna Ward programs.

My girls (6 + 9) are using Canada My Country and my son (11) is using her natives book. They are all really enjoying it. She makes it easy to use and in the end you have something in hand that the kids have produced - I love that!

WinSchool

Thanks so much for all of this info!!

There is so much out there and I am so encouraged from this thread :D

Sign in to follow this