momtokea

New Series of Canadian historical fiction - good for boys

momtokea

I saw these for the first time at my local Chapters yesterday. From the authors of Dear Canada, finally a series for boys.

I Am Canada http://www.scholastic.ca/iamcanada/

I haven't read any yet, but they look good.

RaineyJ

We are doing a Core 100/Canada year, so I bought the first three of these books. My son is scheduled to read them in the next few months. The only one I've read so far is"Blood and Iron". As Annie said the are set up as journals, like the Dear Canada books, but the topics and characters are more appealing to boys. "Blood and Iron" is about a young teenaged boy who came from China to work on the construction of the Canadian railway, through the mountains in B.C. There were lots of explosions, deaths and other hardships. It was more "gritty" than any of the Dear Canada books I've read. I think my son will enjoy it. I haven't read the other two yet, but I'm sure they will be similar. I'm so glad they have come out with this series!

Edited by RaineyJ

BlessedWithBoys

Ds #1 read "Blood and Iron" and enjoyed it.

WinSchool

this sounds amazing! I'm so excited to see these out. For those of you who have read them, what age group would you say they are geared towards?

afterhisheart

I just read the excerpt from Shot at Dawn. Pretty grim for the targeted 9-12 age group.

bean

Oh, my goodness, those look good! I now want to do a unit on Canada just so we could read those books.

RaineyJ

this sounds amazing! I'm so excited to see these out. For those of you who have read them, what age group would you say they are geared towards?

I think it will depend on your child's reading ability and maturity level. My son is almost 15 and for him I think they will be just right. He's never been great with comprehension, so a 9-12 reading level is okay for him. Subject matter is another topic. I agree with aferhisheart, they seem pretty grim. I read Blood and Iron, and while there wasn't anything overtly gory, there were conflicts involving gambling, hunger, sickness, and death, etc. I haven't read the others yet but I'm sure they are similar. I'd pre-read them just to be sure they would be right for your child.

WinSchool

thanks for the feedback about age - appropriateness . I was talking to our librarian about them this afternoon and she was very excited to research them and bring them in :D

I don't plan on doing our Canadian History Core for another year or two but I may read one of them to my oldest to see what he thinks. I'm just so thrilled to see something like this being made available :)

MissKris

We have a bunch of these too for our core 100 history...well, make that core 300 since it's 20th century. My DS will be 16 when he reads them. Hard not to buy them all. Forget how many I got, am afraid to look :-)

KDBask

Thanks for the link. It looks like something that my ds13 will enjoy...maybe a bit down the road.

We have used some of these ones: http://www.scholastic.ca/titles/mystory/boys.htm when we did WW1 and WW2. He really liked them and has asked to read them again. One of the War books (Treaches maybe??) did have a friend being shot for disobeying orders and I didn't let him read that one. Other than that the content wasn't too grim in the ones that we read.

RaineyJ

Ds who doesn't read for fun (only because he has to for school) read Deadly Voyage http://www.scholasti...eadlyvoyage.htm of this series in three evenings. He said that it was pretty good. I meant to read it first but he found in the library basket before I got to it.

My son doesn't read for fun either, but he really enjoyed these books. He read "Blood & Iron", "Shot at Dawn" and "Prisoner at Dieppe". They are not for the squeamish. :)

MissKris

My son doesn't read for fun either, but he really enjoyed these books. He read "Blood & Iron", "Shot at Dawn" and "Prisoner at Dieppe". They are not for the squeamish. :)

Have those 3. I think I won't give them to ds12, just ds16 if they are that graphic.

But they sure look interesting. Really got to read them myself! :D

islander

Thanks for mentioning these. We're finishing up our D/E - Cdn history combo (well hopefully by xmas lol!), and I'm ALWAYS looking for books with boy main characters for ds14. These sound great. Will check them out. Thanks!!