storybookmum

Any Canadians starting high school this fall?

storybookmum

We are, with Caroline.

I just finished her 4-yr plan, and decided that grade 12 would be Canadian Hisstory. Core 530 should be a great time to move a Canadian history and Geography unit in to make a full Core!

storybookmum

I looked at the OSSD requirements, and looked at the prerequisites for the B.F.A. In Drama (acting) that she wants, and started dividing things up...it all fell into place pretty quickly.

I posted it in high schoolers...I'm excited. We'll be leaving out some things - we have to - but the option of Meredith following three years behind is looking good, too.

storybookmum

SATs, I believe...but it's possible that she'll be mature, saving for school...

RaineyJ

My ds is in Grade 9 this year. Here is our 4 year plan:

Grade 9 - Canadian History (History: ACE Paces, The Story of Canada, A People's History of Canada DVD series, and a mish mash of other non-fiction. Literature: Canadian historical fiction)

Grade 10 - Core 200

Grade 11 - Core 300

Grade 12 - SL Lit 530 with SL Economics and Canadian Civics (again, probably using ACE Paces...not our favorite, but it gets the job done)

We also plan to write SAT's

Edited by RaineyJ
  • Like 1

storybookmum

Do your teens have many ideas about what direction they want to head, for University, college, or careers? Caroline wants to act professionally in live theatre (Stratford, specifically!). So she's moving towards a B.F.A. in Drama (Acting) at the University of Windsor.

storybookmum

Dd is interested in medicine...but has recently discovered a passion for marine biology :giggle: Either way she is science bound :)

That's exciting! But I'm so glad that it's you, and not me, that has to teach her high school! I am willing to do a couple of HS life sciences, but I'm seriously afraid of chemistry and the higher maths! God bless her in her scientific future - and may He give you all you need to prepare her for it!

RaineyJ

Annie - glad I could help with the ACE Paces. I hesitate mentioning them on the Sonlight boards because I've always assumed that most homeschoolers who love literature based learning would hate the Paces. I thought my son would hate them too, but he is actually enjoying doing them (probably because it's different from what he's used to) and he has learned..and retained a lot. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of high school history resources for us Canadians, so I was glad to find another option.

My son hasn't nailed down any future plans for post secondary yet, but he is definitely a math/science guy. He has mentioned medicine as a possibility too Annie...so we are in the same boat! :D He's also interested in business, plus my husband is going to teach him carpentry, so he will have lots of options to choose from As far as high school goes we are going to do all three sciences and hopefully write the SAT2 subject tests in these areas.

I'm also going to try to have him do as much math as he can and hopefully get through calculus. I am NOT a math/science person, so I'm with you storybookmum...terrified!! :scare:

My plan of attack is...DVD or video courses! Dive or BJU for science, and Saxon with Dive and/or Art Reed videos for math. ;)

• Like 1

mumof6

Not starting high school, but what we've done:

I school 2 at a time. DS is 2 grades ahead of my dd.

G7/9 SL 7 - (whatever that is now), Biology

G8/10 Canadian history and geography, Chemistry

G9/11 SL 200, civics, careers, Physics, elder also did Computer Science online.

G19 SL 300

Next year my son is heading to school for G12 and will get a high school diploma.

He is son #3. We've tried online classes, independent learning, etc. to get the G12 credits. It's just easier to get in College/University with those 6 12U/M courses and a diploma.

We used Singapore for Math and it worked well being integrated - more like the Canadian system.

HTH!

Janine in ON

ds 20 (Graduated College!), 18 (first year University), 16, 7, 6

dd 15

Currently doing 200, and B

• Like 1

storybookmum

What was your experience like trying to get the first two in, Janine, without the 6 12U courses and the diploma? Could you share that?

mumof6

My older 2 did actually get the Grade 12 U credits and a high school diploma. My second is at a Christian University and was admitted on the basis of his ACT scores (and I had to write up courses and subjects covered for high school). He did 3 12U courses online, 1 Independent study and 2 in the local high school.

There are ways of getting into University and College without any official credits, but it's easier to have them. Boys seem to stop listening to their mother around age 17, so by then I'm ready to have them answerable to someone else! I figured they should have a firm enough foundation by 17.

It certainly was eye-opening for them! My eldest wrote an opinion paper on what's wrong with the education system, which the teacher said was well written and researched (not!) but he disagreed with his conclusions! He also gave the math teacher tips on how to present the material more clearly. Fortunately most of the teachers liked him anyway...

Janine in ON

• Like 1

mumof6

They were granted 23 credits for our home schooling studies - for prior learning. They also had to do the volunteer hours and literacy test that are required for a diploma. Schools/school boards deal with this all the time with international students and those from other provinces. They only need one year in high school to get into University (whether they speak English well enough or not!) So it's the same for home schoolers. Of course the earlier you go in and try to work with them, the more they insist you need all their credits - they get more funding when you're in the system longer.

I have heard of one girl in rural Ontario who entered school in G10, finished at the top of her class, but she had to do summer school after G12 as she was missing a compulsory credit from G9! That was a few years ago though. I have a friend whose son did Tree of Life for G9 and her local school wouldn't accept those credits. Or were giving her a hard time - they let him do G10 English and science, but they haven't decided about French yet.

Each school board does it differently. Most have the guidance counselor at the local high school grant the prior credits, with the approval of the principal of course. So if you have a not-so-homeschool-friendly guidance counselor it could be a problem. (With the one we had, she was very pro-homeschooling as her sister had 8 kids whom she homeschooled and now half of them have PhD's!.)

I had to go to the school board for an hour long interview with each child. There is a woman (retired teacher) who deals with the homeschoolers. She's familiar with Sonlight, Apologia science, etc. I typed out a list of courses with similar sounding names as the public school courses - she liked "Media Studies" but not "Logic." She presumed we didn't do French, but I made my kids suffer through it, so I made sure she gave them the credit! Others have brought in rubber maid bins of completed work. I had a few lab reports and essays in my bag but didn't volunteer them and she didn't ask to see them. I did include reading lists. My son went on a 3 day canoe trip with other home schoolers a few times - they had to buy the food, cook, etc. She granted him a credit for that as they have a course at school called Out Bound - I didn't even think of including that on my list.

They are supposed to do a test before they enter school to see if they would be in the academic/applied or University/College stream. However I just showed the guidance counselor their ACT report to register them in school and then showed the assessment lady their mid-term report card. "Look, he's doing well in G12___ so obviously he covered and understands the G9, 10 & 11 material...."

HTH!

Janine in ON

Northern Breeze

We do High School (and other grades as well) through Heritage Christian Online School (HCOS). We can use the curriculum we choose, meet the BC Provincial Learning outcomes, have work assessed by a high school teacher and the kids get a regular high school diploma like the kids from public school do. HCOS is working at making their program available to other places (other than BC) and already have kids internationally getting their BC high school diploma. Many of the courses are offered online but parents can also choose to do things like Sonlight. It works for us and the kids get 'high school transcripts.' I have one graduating this year and one that could graduate this year but she is only 15 so I think we'll do a bit more at home and at the community college.

MissKris

My ds15 will be going into Grade 11.

He did Core 100 (for 9-10) though it was 4 credits: American History & Literature, Canadian History, Canadian Literature - since I added MHTCE's and a ton of resources for it to do the dual history.

He does TPS (The Potter's School) for English 2 & 3 - so far, doing Advanced Comp in Gr 11.

Grade 11 - 20th century history - with Flashback Canada and other resources for MHTCE and Core 300 along with Canadian Classics - so a Part II to Canadian Literature -with more analysis this time around.

Grade 12 - Core 530 - for Lit. Probably TPS for writing. History - well with 4 credits - it will be interest driven at this stage.

Grade 10 - Geography: Using Contact Canada and Sea to Sea Geo IG from Vince Marquis - EXCELLENT

Civics - Grade 11 - I have both ACE here and ADS's Workbooks - haven't decided which yet. Will add in "DK How they Rule", american govt from Core 400 and another resource from MHTCE - name escapes me - more so as resources to do some comparisons with other world governments. We did an earlier unit with the younger resources on Cdn Govt - which were a good basis.

Gr 11 - Economics - SL's unit plus other resources (Undercover Economist and a few others) - I like to supplement, can't help myself.

Taking a different Geography with TPS...since he is keen on city planning or something urban related.

Sciences are the standard track.

We are considering a Grade 13 - like both dh and I did - to do more college/AP credits or a GAP year or Bible College - then entering in Ontario as a mature student. If we lived in Ottawa - he'd have been started in the University of Ottawa's headstart program with French and others these next 2 years, but that's too much of a commute from the UAE.

Still plugging along. On a YAHOO group for homeshooling highschoolers in Ontario - a fount of information.

Love digging deeper into subjects.

Like hearing what you all are doing too.

• Like 1

source of joy

We just started highschool this year as well. So far it's been a little crazy since I'm feeling pressed for time most of the time. I'm trying to make sure that we have balance of outside activities and academics and I find it harder than I thought to get 7 - 8 courses covered/year with 110 hrs./course.

So far this year our Fall semester consisted of:

2 Music Courses:

RCM's Music History Gr. 3 (after Advanced Rudiments which is the required theory to qualify for a gr. 12 music course if coupled with gr. 8 instrumental/vocal exam..she has gr. 9 RCM piano completed so far)

RCM's Music Harmony Gr. 4 (second Harmony course required if ARCT is the plan)

Both of the above had 3 hr. exam each in December.

VideoText Algebra II

Oklahoma University German Gr. 9 completed in December..this is an AP program so it may take a summer or two to complete, especially if her music program stays this intense.

Physical Education - focusing on reaching the required amount of hours this year via Cross Country in the Fall, Judo and Skiing...this also includes any other intense physical activities that we're doing this year.

For the Winter Semester:

Physical Education as per the Fall

Algebra II continued

Canadian Geography via Encounter Canada by: Patricia Healy, Kingsley Hurlington, Lisa Mulrine, and Cathy Costello..it's intense but very good and we're lucky if we cover 4 chapters which apparently is enough for a gr. 9 credit...I still have to verify the latter

Apologia Biology which she is absolutely loving

Literature...using SL 100 sources and hoping to start Tapestry of Grace's Literature soon

She's still loving her piano and sooo wants to play well again. But she endured RSI (repetitive strain injury) in June, just before playing for her gr. 9 exam, so we had to reduce practcing times severely. She's taking specialized piano lessons to relearn movements at the piano to help heal her injuries right at the piano. It is a very neat way of doing it but it's excruciatingly slow...

Thank you all for sharing your journey, it's giving me ideas as to other things to look at.

• Like 1

hrathech

Our dd 15 is doing grade 10 this year. We're using Tree of Life's Great Ideas for literature, and she's doing the 2nd level right now, entitled Truth and Lies. (http://www.treeoflifeathome2.com/ideastruth.html ). She's close to finishing their World History II, and will start their Canadian History when that's done.

She's also doing one of their logic courses, Persuasive Writing and Speech, http://www.treeoflifeathome2.com/seclogic.html.

For math, she's using Foerster's Algebra II/Trig, and should finish it by the end of this school year.

For science, Apologia; she's finished both levels of Bio, is working on the second level of Chem, and will start Physics next. We have that text here already.

She's doing Rosetta Stone German and French Second Year (http://www.treeoflifeathome2.com/seclanguages.html).

For music, she's working on Grade 10 violin, 7 piano, and grade 4 harmony. With her orchestras and private lessons and volunteering 3 hrs per week in the Sistema program, music takes more time than anything. She loves it.

She still is working toward studying violin performance at university. She will also write the SAT.

Kel & the kids

Our dd 15 is doing grade 10 this year. We're using Tree of Life's Great Ideas for literature, and she's doing the 2nd level right now, entitled Truth and Lies. (http://www.treeoflif...ideastruth.html ). She's close to finishing their World History II, and will start their Canadian History when that's done.

She's also doing one of their logic courses, Persuasive Writing and Speech, http://www.treeoflif.../seclogic.html.

For math, she's using Foerster's Algebra II/Trig, and should finish it by the end of this school year.

For science, Apologia; she's finished both levels of Bio, is working on the second level of Chem, and will start Physics next. We have that text here already.

She's doing Rosetta Stone German and French Second Year (http://www.treeoflif...clanguages.html).

For music, she's working on Grade 10 violin, 7 piano, and grade 4 harmony. With her orchestras and private lessons and volunteering 3 hrs per week in the Sistema program, music takes more time than anything. She loves it.

She still is working toward studying violin performance at university. She will also write the SAT.

Can you comment on your experience with Tree of Life? I've looked at their stuff but I don't know anyone anywhere who has actually used it!

Thanks!

I have an 8th Grader coming up and outsourcing is working for us. We're currently using Currclick for Mandarin and some Math and the school we are enrolled with here in BC for English 7. I'm thinking this is the way to go for my DS's homeschool career ;)

hrathech

Tree of Life (Flewellings) has been good for dd. I appreciate having the more subjective writing courses marked by someone else, and it's been a useful exercise for her learning to interact with a "prof". She has the opportunity to write e-mails to ask questions both during the writing process, and even after, when she doesn't really understand how she might have been able to do better. She's taken the Great Ideas courses, one English class, when she was in 8th grade, and a couple logic courses.

I find their assignment of marks to be rigorous; ie, high "number" marks are not readily given out. The comments and suggestions for improvement are very helpful.

I would recommend them. Margie has decided that because she is "getting a better education here at home", she has no interest in going to ps for grades 11 and 12. She seems to really enjoy the Great Ideas studies, and I think that's a large part of her decision; she doesn't want to "miss" finishing this program.

MissKris

Yikes! My ds now 16 is heading into his senior year of highschool. Even though we are strongly leaning towards a GAP year - it means I only have 1 year left homeschooling him. :maninlove: Can't believe how fast the time as gone!!

Next year - Grade 12: Wowser. Looking at using TPS again (The Potters School - online christian school with Teacher LIVE and students there too - all via audio) - been excellent for him so far. He does: Math (Functions, Stats and Trig this year - Part 2 of Pre Cal next year) - English - Poetry & Shakespeare for yr 12, French - this has been awesome - since Junior High he has had the same teacher. And Science - Physics for Gr12. The science teachers have been so keen. Love that.

At home: Economics, Psychology, Health, Cooking - he is still sorting that out - and Canadian Literature - to finish.

Wow. SATs are this May and again in the Fall.

I am a bit stunned. :santablack:

• Like 1

Halle

Tree of Life (Flewellings) has been good for dd. I appreciate having the more subjective writing courses marked by someone else, and it's been a useful exercise for her learning to interact with a "prof". She has the opportunity to write e-mails to ask questions both during the writing process, and even after, when she doesn't really understand how she might have been able to do better. She's taken the Great Ideas courses, one English class, when she was in 8th grade, and a couple logic courses.

I find their assignment of marks to be rigorous; ie, high "number" marks are not readily given out. The comments and suggestions for improvement are very helpful.

I would recommend them. Margie has decided that because she is "getting a better education here at home", she has no interest in going to ps for grades 11 and 12. She seems to really enjoy the Great Ideas studies, and I think that's a large part of her decision; she doesn't want to "miss" finishing this program.

Hi Heather! :-)

For those of you asking about Tree of Life, I haven't used their curriculum, however I have looked through it. It seems very thorough. I heard Mike speak recently about the services they offer and I was very impressed. He is a really approachable person and wouldn't mind at all if you phoned him to ask questions etc. We are definitely considering using some of their material for our son when he enters G9 in September.

Edited by Halle

storybookmum

We've started to considers year at Athabasca to let her transfer into the University she wants. Athabasca is an open university and she can complete her first courses online.

We'll start talking to the U of W this fall to see how they feel about it.

I'm getting more and more comfortable as we go along, more confident, somehow.

Carlyn

My oldest just turned 14, and will begin grade nine in the fall. We are pretty sure that he is going to continue at home, but I feel so out of my league as we approach the high school grades.

Thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences!

mimosa

That's a good thought....my question is: Do you Sonlight into the high school years being Canadian and what cores would you pick? Or do you branch off into other things?

• Like 1