salsa chic

I want to learn more Canadian history!

salsa chic

Hi! My American public school education did not really give me a very good foundation in global history. I was taught 10 years of American history, 1 year of the Western Hemisphere (including Canada), 1 year of the Eastern Hemisphere, and 1 year of world history. Isn't that awful??? Besides religious reasons, academic standards are one of the major reasons for us to homeschool in my family. I want my kids to receive more of a global education.

Anyway, I'm realizing that I don't know much about Canada. I studied in Mexico for 2 semesters in college, so I know quite a bit about Mexico, but not my northern neighbor. I live in western Michigan, only a few hours from Ontario. I should know more! So, I was wondering if anyone has a few good titles to recommend on Canadian history. Books that are captivating and not just dry, boring facts. I would prefer real history, but I guess that I could take some historical fiction, too. You can recommend ones that you actually have your students read. :)

Also, I'm curious if the public schools in Canada are more global in their education than American public schools. What is the scope and sequence like there? I'm just so ANGRY about what I didn't learn in school. I'm trying to read a lot and learn a lot to catch up on what I should know.

Thanks for your help!

TNmomma

Interesting! I'm sitting here reading the "variety" of classes you had and I think it's amazing compared to what I got. I had American history every year except for one year when I had a class called "Modern History". It covered World History (mainly European, if I'm totally honest) from about 1000 AD until present, but when the Mayflower landed, it really focused a LOT on Am History too. I don't know a lot about any other history and that's why I've LOVED doing SL with my kids so much. I'll be interested in to see the replies you get because I'd like to learn about our neighbors to the north.

PEI Mom

Hello from a neighbour to the north. Our education system is run by the provinces, so if you ask 10 different Canadians from 10 different provinces what they covered in school, you'll probably get 10 different answers. That being said, I grew up in New Brunswick (a small province in the East) and my history experience was not much more global than yours. We covered mostly Canadian and provincial history, and a little bit of world (mostly European) history. We probably learned a bit more about the USA though through pop-culture (American TV etc.) though than you would have picked up of Canada through that means.

I'm not sure I can help much in what to study to learn more. We studied mostly dry history texts when I was in school and I haven't even started teaching any history to my children yet (preschoolers). However, Anne of Green Gables (or anything by L M Montgomery) comes to mind as a nice place to start for historical fiction.

salsa chic

TNmomma- Here is the scope and sequence for social studies of public schools in the state of Michigan. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/SSGLCE_218368_7.pdf

On page 7 at the bottom is a great graph of years K-12. The Western Hemisphere is studied in 6th grade, Eastern Hemisphere in 7th grade, and World History in 9th grade. Do you remember what you had in the state that you are in? Yes, my world history had a HUGE focus on European and American history, too. I really feel like I know hardly ANYTHING on Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

These are my favorite world history quotes:

“To give an American child only American history is as provincial as to teach a Texas child only Texas history†(A Child's History of the World p. xi by V.M. Hillyer).

“In a standard American history/social studies curriculum, students begin with study of 'my community,' then move outward to 'my state,' 'my country,' and so on. They devote 10 of 12 years- over 80% of their... time- to study of the history and culture of a nation that has existed for less than 10% of recorded history and encompasses fewer than 5% of all the people in the world.†(p. 140 of Sonlight 2011 catalog).

dee4 and PEI mom- Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them! :) It sounds like Canada does the same thing- a huge focus on its on history with a lack in world history. Yes, the states run the educational system here, too, so each state is different. I must admit that I read several of the Anne of Green Gables series, though not all of them. I absolutely love the scenes in the movies and desperately want to travel to Prince Edward Island someday! My travel experiences in Canada have been to Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Hamilton. We saw the Phantom of the Opera in Toronto when I was in high school. That was AWESOME!

PEI Mom

TNmomma- Here is the scope and sequence for social studies of public schools in the state of Michigan. http://www.michigan....CE_218368_7.pdf

On page 7 at the bottom is a great graph of years K-12. The Western Hemisphere is studied in 6th grade, Eastern Hemisphere in 7th grade, and World History in 9th grade. Do you remember what you had in the state that you are in? Yes, my world history had a HUGE focus on European and American history, too. I really feel like I know hardly ANYTHING on Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

These are my favorite world history quotes:

“To give an American child only American history is as provincial as to teach a Texas child only Texas history†(A Child's History of the World p. xi by V.M. Hillyer).

“In a standard American history/social studies curriculum, students begin with study of 'my community,' then move outward to 'my state,' 'my country,' and so on. They devote 10 of 12 years- over 80% of their... time- to study of the history and culture of a nation that has existed for less than 10% of recorded history and encompasses fewer than 5% of all the people in the world.†(p. 140 of Sonlight 2011 catalog).

dee4 and PEI mom- Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them! :) It sounds like Canada does the same thing- a huge focus on its on history with a lack in world history. Yes, the states run the educational system here, too, so each state is different. I must admit that I read several of the Anne of Green Gables series, though not all of them. I absolutely love the scenes in the movies and desperately want to travel to Prince Edward Island someday! My travel experiences in Canada have been to Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Hamilton. We saw the Phantom of the Opera in Toronto when I was in high school. That was AWESOME!

When you do decide to come to PEI let me know and I'll give you the tour. We'd love to have you come and visit.

afterhisheart

I suggest Canadian History for Dummies by Will Ferguson. It's a good overview without boring one to tears.

Here's a general outline of our province's history curriculum.

grade 1: My place in the community, learn about province, country, official languages, first nations, etc.

grade 2: Geography & first nations studies

grade 3: Communities of the world, emphasis on diversity

grade 4: Geography of the province, Canada, and study of the north

grade 5: Canada history to confederation 1867

grade 6: Canada history 1867 to present

grade 7: World geography, quality of life, and a study of Asia, Africa and Australia

grade 8: World History, sweeping overview from Ancients to modern

grade 9: Democracy in Canada, citizenship

grade 10: World Geography

grade 11: Canadian History overview

grade 12: Global Issues

Edited by afterhisheart

TNmomma

TNmomma- Here is the scope and sequence for social studies of public schools in the state of Michigan. http://www.michigan....CE_218368_7.pdf

\

I don't know what the S&S is/was for my state when I was coming up. I think, if I remember correctly, we did a lot of "social studies" in K-6th. We learned about communities, etc (rural, suburban, urban, etc). We learned about farming communities, mining communities, etc. Then in 7th grade, we had TN history. We had Am. History in 8th grade and then in 9th we had the choice of World History of Modern History (which is what I picked because the teacher was rumored to be nicer). Then in 11th, we had Am history again. And we had Economics in 10th, and I think some sort of Gov't in 12th for a semester each.

ETA: since I wasn't a history major, I was only required to take Am History in university as well.

Edited by TNmomma

salsa chic

When you do decide to come to PEI let me know and I'll give you the tour. We'd love to have you come and visit.

Thanks for the offer! :) I would love to go!

Thanks for all of the book ideas! Sorry- I haven't been on the Sonlight Forums in several days!

Bluegrrl

Hello. I'm living in Nova Scotia and have been looking for some Canadian history curriculum because we will be taking a cross Canada trip before we move to South America.

I found this site and I love it.

https://www.donnaward.net/index.php

They have geography, history, literature, maps and information about Canadian First Nations. They have bundles, single books and things in between. :)

ilovewhitewinters

I had a great variety of history through my education but that may have been because it was a private Christian school. I do not remember spending more than a couple years on any one country or continent. Some I remember better than others! I have always loved American history and enjoyed the period of time I lived South of the Boarder. :) Now that I am teaching my children I am looking for good Canadian history material as well - there is so much about America! Love the D package - plan on doing it next. :)