Sign in to follow this  
ilovemylife

Anyone looking to sell their Canadian Books?

ilovemylife

Hi Everyone,

I am entering Core D with my oldest, I was looking for canadian resources when I read your comprehensive list of Canadian Book recommendations. I love the history, all about Canada and also the fun stuff, ie novels.

I was wondering if anyone was interested in selling their lot of used books:

I was interested in the list that afterhisheart shared, (it seems like I am not able to email her directly for some reason) or any other books that others had shared in the age range of 6-10 year old. Donna ward seems to also have some neat stuff.

Thanks,

Laura

Please read the cut and paste of another homeschooler to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I haven't done much before grade 4. When I first started homeschooling, it was with my middle child who was pulled out of ps after grade 3 and was only home for grades 4-6, so I mostly followed MB curriculum outcomes. My youngest has always done SL, and it's been so full that I've waited till now to target Canadian studies.

We are using Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest as our spine with library books and some notebooking to beef it up, plus a few read-alouds that tie in and some fun books by Canadian authors.

Donna has a great little scope and sequence chart that is a good starting point in deciding what to study when. On her FAQ page she also has the BC and AB learning outcomes for social studies. If I had to do it again, I probably would have been more intentional about incorporating some of these suggestions each year alongside our SL Cores.

ETA: I'll come back later and post all the resources we are using this year (grade 4).

ilovemylife

oops, and also this list:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

History & Geography

Courage & Conquest

Great Canadian Lives

Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada

Kids Book of Canadian History

Canada Sea to Sea (apple press workbook)

Canada's Natural Wonders

Canada Close Up series for Canadian provinces and territories

Read Alouds

Indian Captive

Eric the Red & Leif the Lucky

Lost in the Barrens

Paddle to the Sea

Canadian Flyer- Lost in the Snow (Filles du Roi)

Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang

Owls in the Family

Dear Canada- With Nothing But Our Courage

The Bully Boys

Dear Canada- Footsteps in the Snow

A Pioneer Story

Anne of Green Gables (Barbara Greenwood abridgement)

Ticket to Curlew

Gold Rush Fever

Till All the Stars Have Fallen (Canadian poetry anthology for kids)

Edited by ilovemylife

afterhisheart

oops, and also this list:

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

History & Geography

Courage & Conquest

Great Canadian Lives

Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada

Kids Book of Canadian History

Canada Sea to Sea (apple press workbook)

Canada's Natural Wonders

Canada Close Up series for Canadian provinces and territories

Read Alouds

Indian Captive

Eric the Red & Leif the Lucky

Lost in the Barrens

Paddle to the Sea

Canadian Flyer- Lost in the Snow (Filles du Roi)

Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang

Owls in the Family

Dear Canada- With Nothing But Our Courage

The Bully Boys

Dear Canada- Footsteps in the Snow

A Pioneer Story

Anne of Green Gables (Barbara Greenwood abridgement)

Ticket to Curlew

Gold Rush Fever

Till All the Stars Have Fallen (Canadian poetry anthology for kids)

Hi there,

I'm afraid I used our excellent library system for most of these books, so I have nothing to sell. You could try buying used by searching for titles on bookfinder.com.

Great Canadian Lives is available online. Here's the link. http://www.l2l.ca/media/images/GCL/GREAT%20CANADIAN%20LIVES%20-%20Portraits%20in%20Heroism%20to%201867.pdf

The Canada Sea to Sea workbook turned out to be a little too out of date so I dropped it.

Some free coloring pages for provinces and prime ministers are available here: http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages.aspx/%2Fcategory%3Acanada

Canada's physical regions: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/phillie/InternationalExchange/Canada/Physical%20Regions/Physical_Regions/index.htm

HTH

ilovemylife

Thanks so much for your help!

I really appreciate it!

I am actually moving to England in December, so I thought it would be nice to buy the books for this semester and then learn British history in the next.

We live right by Ottawa and I have been going to the Canadian Museum of Civilization lately. That place is a fantastic resource for exactly what we are trying to teach our kids. It brings the books to life!

A tip I got from one of the computer screens at the museum was www.histori.ca (it has hertitage minutes videos! ). Another great resource! The more I think about it, the less I feel compelled to buy books. I think this will be a great library adventure/hands on experiences....

thanks again for responding.

Laura

Sign in to follow this