momof4boys!:)

Jesuit James Cartier?? in Canada??

Hi. I am an expat Canadian who would like to fact check here before I ask for a correction. Core D Week 6 asks that we make the following notation on the timeline:

"Jesuit James Cartier discovers Saint Lawrence River (1673)"

I am aware that Jacques Cartier discovered the Saint Lawrence River in 1534. But his name was not James and he was not a Jesuit (as far as I know) and he lived and died in the 1500's. So, am I correct in believing this to be a mistake or am I missing something, lol???

Hope someone responds...

PS for the record, the Light and the Glory does note Jacques Cartier as a Jesuit navigator who discovered the St. Lawrence... I was not aware he was a Jesuit and I haven't found anything to say he was a Jesuit in a quick Google.

Thx.

Sounds like I am correct. Thank you, ladies!

Little Women

Jacques=James? I would have thought it equaled "Jack." Hm.....

A lot of French explorers were Jesuits, but I've never thought of Cartier in regards to that--I have no idea.

Not the book in Core D--I do think that is the book we used in "Adventures in My Father's World" the year we used My Father's World--maybe I need to pull that back out. "Light and the Glory" is an interesting read, as far as "it reads smoothly"--but if it is WRONG, that's kinda a big problem . . .

Betsy

I am a bit concerned about it possibly being in error, too. I am relatively unknowledgeable on American history and might not notice an error there.

Thanks for your post. :)

Jacques=James? I would have thought it equaled "Jack." Hm.....

A lot of French explorers were Jesuits, but I've never thought of Cartier in regards to that--I have no idea.

I thought so, too. But apparently Jacques is related to James which is related to Jacob.

Jack is related to John, think Jack Kennedy. :).

Interesting!

However, I have never heard of Jacques Cartier referred to as James...

momtokea

Makes me wonder what else we are learning that's wrong.

calandalsmom

This should really be addressed by SL. I got dizzy and confused trying to sort this in my head. LOL

Well I think it's an error maybe in the new IG because the 2008 Core 4 (now called E) has Jacques Cartier exploring Canadian shores in 1534 (and John Cabot in 1497).

Thanks for the information! That is interesting! On this foggy morning in upstate NY, it strikes me as funny that this entry went so far awry from 2008 edition to 2012! Seriously, I can't imagine the chain of events! LOL :D

This should really be addressed by SL. I got dizzy and confused trying to sort this in my head. LOL

Yes I agree. I did put it forward for correction in Dear Sonlight yesterday. Thanks. :)

CleoQc

The idea of Jacques Cartier as a Jesuit is really funny to this French Canadian that I am. ;-)

Absolutely not!!! They had totally different goals, and Cartier is known to be as anti-catholic as France would allow one of her citizens to be (which is not very much). At the time, all French had to give the outward appearance of being good Catholics, or they were put to death. So yeah, Cartier was Catholic. He was also quite motivated by greed, which is not a Catholic virtue...

The idea of Jacques Cartier as a Jesuit is really funny to this French Canadian that I am. ;-)

Absolutely not!!! They had totally different goals, and Cartier is known to be as anti-catholic as France would allow one of her citizens to be (which is not very much). At the time, all French had to give the outward appearance of being good Catholics, or they were put to death. So yeah, Cartier was Catholic. He was also quite motivated by greed, which is not a Catholic virtue...

Thanks for chiming in! You have added a bit more info. :)

ilovemylife

There are 4 main explorers that were significant to Canada. There are 4 books in a series dedicated to them. Henry Hudson, Jacques Cartier, John Cabot, Samuel de Champlain. It is called Discovering Canada, by Heather C. Hudak, published by Weigl. www.weigl.ca

I found these books provided a great window, I had my daughter read each book, make a title page for each explorer and answer sets of questions, like interesting facts, what did he do, interesting places i would like to visit etc.

Also to further the understanding of the history of Canada we are reading through

New France and the Fur Trade as well as The Dawn of Canada, by Canadian History by Douglas Baldwin also by weigl.

I register with the Quebec School Board, so I am well aware of the requirements for certain grade levels and in Grade 3, this is exactly the kind of thing they want kids to learn about. It is not so important right now about present day Canada, but the focus is really on the history of Canada. Learning about First Nations and developing a deep respect that they were the first peoples, as well as understanding the explorers, New France, Acadia as well as the Fur Trade. It is important to understand the struggles that everyone faced as well as the hardships and achievements.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I know someone who works from Sonlight is reading this. I am sure that you are aware that many Canadians find it quite sad how little Americans know about Canada and yet they think they 'know' Canada, by throwing out the mass generalizations that they think represents Canada, it frustrates Canadians because the generalizations are weak and uneducated. Anyone who throws out the jokes about eh and about and then talks about our igloos and how freezing it is up there and have no idea when I mention what city I am from or when I try and help them out by mentioning what province I am from, they look at me like, 'I have no idea' and are just satisfied to say that I am from Canada. I could go on. I would love to see Sonlight be a benchmark for change. It would be great if during the core d and e, that Sonlight would take a significant pause to learn some history about Canada. To become informed about our parliament, the plight of First Nations people and to memorize our provinces and territories and learn general things about each province. I think it is sad if North Americans really don't know much about 1/2 of North America and yet call themselves North Americans.

Please note that I feel equally strong that Canadians need to and should learn all about The United States as well.

ilovemylife

I really wish i could remove my last post. I think I was way to crude and not fair. Unfortunately I am not physically able to this, but please not this is not truly how i feel.

islander

I really wish i could remove my last post. I think I was way to crude and not fair. Unfortunately I am not physically able to this, but please not this is not truly how i feel.

Hi there! you can always go in and edit your posts after, in case you want to delete/change anything. Just thought I'd let you know. Hugs to you. :)