Judy

Need to hear from you!!

Judy

As we continue to develop and communicate with the homeschooling community, the answers to these questions will be helpful. If you have a few moments, I would love to hear your feedback!

What is the most difficult part of your day?

What is the most frustrating part of your day?

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be?

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be?

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?)

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day?

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom?

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher?

What do you stay up at night worrying about?

HomeschoolKT

What is the most difficult part of your day? Perhaps the hour before dinner.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Getting the kids to bed. It always seems to be a struggle. I'm going to start a checklist soon (as later recommended in the IG), so I don't have to say "put on your pjs" or "brush your teeth" every night, a million times.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Cooking. If there were someone who knew how picky we were, but fed us, I would be eternally greatful. It's often the last thing I think about and I don't enjoy it.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? My children would each have a lifetime love of learning.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) A month or two. I've really realized I've learned a lot in the last six months!

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Reading to my kids.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? I'm not very creative and so many other moms are.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? My intelligence. I know I CAN teach them.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? Art. Oh, and patience.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? If I'm doing enough. Teaching them enough. Spending enough time on everything.

Bendxap

Mornings because I'm not a morning person and afternoons when I'm so sleepy from staying up too late.

When the boys were little, it was taking time from school to make dinner since we usually eat our main meal at 1pm.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be?

Chef, grocery shopping, cleaning--most, if not all, of the household chores. I learned from my mom (a very creative stay-at-home mom) that there are lots more interesting ways to spend the day than in housekeeping.

That books wouldn't be so expensive. (Friends here in Mexico think that it's really cheap to home school because you don't have to buy uniforms or notebooks or anything. HAHAHA!)

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?)

When I first started home schooling, I didn't have much trouble because I was mostly using workbooks. I did not want to home school, I wanted to work on our Bible translation project, so workbooks allowed my son to "do school" while I worked on language stuff. But it didn't take long for me to become disatisfied with that way of schooling!

I started Sonlight slowly, borrowing an IG and getting books out of the library. We couldn't afford a whole new core, especially since I wasn't sure how well it was going to work. By then, I had been home schooling two years and had a handle on the other stuff so I didn't ever really feel in survival mode--other than keeping up with housework. (Which I'll take any excuse, even home schooling, to avoid doing!)

When the boys wanted me to keep reading. "Another one [chapter], another one, another, 'nother, 'nother one!" is what they would chant.

That I wasn't more strict about deadlines.

Teaching math. Teaching a love of books. Research papers.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? (Should this be "unconfident" or "doubtful"? ETA: just saw in another version it's "least confident")

Grading high school science tests. (We've used Apologia and sometimes I have to ask him if his answer is right or not.) Poetry and analysis of literature.

Nothing any more. Starting high school was the worst: high school science, transcripts, making sure that the credits are "worth it."

Edited by Bendxap

catbrown

the most difficult- sometimes getting started

the most frustrating, when he refuses to do Math because he doesn't like Math

Outsourse the one aspect: Probably go back to selling Tupperware.

One wish come true-not sure

Feeling the hang of it-probably in his fourth grade year which would have been the second year of our homeschooling journey.

favorite part: I believe reading to him as I love to read.

Guilty- sometimes because I'm not sure what to do in his academics, he has aspergers, so sometimes I feel I might not be requiring enough out of him.

Confident: I guess still learning how he learns and trying different things to see if they'll work. He's in 6th grade now.

Unconfident: He won't get enough Math because I'm poor at Math also

Stay up worrying: I try not to stay up, I try to go to sleep so I try not to think about it.

Cathy

luckymomofeight

As we continue to develop and communicate with the homeschooling community, the answers to these questions will be helpful. If you have a few moments, I would love to hear your feedback!

What is the most difficult part of your day? Grading high school subjects.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Having to stop and make meals! (and figure out WHAT to make)

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Grading!

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? A separate room with a big table and storage/shelves.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) 6 months - a year.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Reading out loud and helping with experiments.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Not being able to spend more time with my high school-er.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? That my children are learning a lot more here than in our public school.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? Teaching math and English on a high school level.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Nothing school-related!

hrathech

What is the most difficult part of your day? When I have to leave for work....when I come home and it's dd's bedtime and I've missed so much of her day.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? When I can't figure out the math problems that my homeschooler is doing and that I used to do. Bleurgh.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? I wish I could be a stay at home mom, and not have to work outside the home.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? That my dd would look back and say "you did the right thing, Mommy."

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) Probably around grade 3 or 4, I was able to relax.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? It WAS readalouds. Back when we did readalouds. Now, it's the early morning, when I sit across from the 15 year old, and she's doing her math and science (she still likes to have me nearby for those), and I drink tea and read the paper and surf the net while bantering with her about math and science and politics and Lord of the Rings and boys....I love that.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? That I wasn't home with her fulltime, that I had to work outside the home. The 15 years have gone by too quickly, and I worry that she'll always remember me walking out the door to work, or too tired and cranky from working late, to answer her questions adequately.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? That she's academically prepared. She's definitely done well academically.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? ---

What do you stay up at night worrying about? How are we going to pay for university?

MomToEli

What is the most difficult part of your day? Late afternoon when there is still school work to do but supper needs started.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? When my son gets frustrated and stops listening.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? House cleaning/organization.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? That my son would have accomplished enough to get a full ride scholarship to a school he is happy with.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) Just a matter of a few days. I have never really felt totally overwhelmed or out of my element.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? When my son has those lightbulb moments and his confidence soars.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? That I am not diligent enough and let us get behind.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? My ability to teach.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? Is one of these supposed to be least? If so, then least is my ability to stay on track and not just give up when he gets frustrated and/or uncooperative.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? That somehow I will fail my son and not provide him with what he needs to be a success. That and I worry about living on one income and being able to afford curriculum and activities.

manabitamomma

What is the most difficult part of your day? Afternoons...when I'm trying to get everyone to finish up and I'm trying to get finished with "todays" work, so I can get ready and organized for "tomorrow".

What is the most frustrating part of your day? trying to figure out if I'm expecting too much or not enough from my special needs child...figuring out when to push and when to let up.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? laundry and cooking!

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? That my children would succeed and learn to love the Lord with all their heart, soul and mind. That they would look back on this experience and have such great memories, that they would want to homeschool their own children.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) When I started I only had 1 child... I followed the curriculum to a T... It really didn't take long to feel comfortable with Sonlight and what we were doing...but I was a "box checker". Adding 2 special needs, ESL children to the mix, was a huge learning curve! It took me about a year, to finally realize that I didn't have to follow the curriculum to a "T", and my dc were still going to learn and be fine. This is the 3rd year with all 3 children, and I finally feel "good" about what we are doing and probably more importantly, what we aren't doing.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Our "opening time'' getting everyone going and on track. Also when the dc get excited about what they are learning. I also love it when we are out at the dentist or somewhere and they start a conversation with my ds, and then look at me with such surprise on their face that he can carry on such in depth conversations about history and world events!

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? I spend "All day" with my dc, and when they come to me in the evenings and want to play a game, I often, just want to say, "go away and leave me alone, I was doing stuff with you all day."

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I know my dc are getting the best education they can get! I feel very good about our curriculum choices and plans.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? my ability as a "special needs/esl" teacher.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? I sometimes worry about grading and levels... living overseas we don't have access to testing that we would have in the US, so I often get frustrated trying to figure out where my dc are (especially my special needs kids.)

afterhisheart

What is the most difficult part of your day? mid-afternoon. We are losing steam and I'm transitioning, having to get dinner on, and my non-homeschooled high schoolers are coming home and transitioning themselves after a long day at school.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? The beginning of the day. I never get started at the time I wish. Makes the day that much longer, trying to get it all done.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? writing class

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? That my homeschool be a positive experience for my student

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) Year 3

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? discussions about faith, world view, etc.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? showing frustration with my student's academic ability

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I am providing a better education and experience than my student would get in the local ps, having had other children go through that and seeing the fruit.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? Socialization. It's one thing to reject the argument as flawed, but in the few times I've had people come at me about this, it's still rattling.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Will my teenagers come through these crazy years mature, and strong in their faith and morals.

Edited by afterhisheart

katyreba

Trying to get my 9th grader to complete all her subjects--not just the ones she loves.

Trying to get my 9th grader to complete all her subjects--not just the ones she loves. Also, my husband and I are both driven, goal-setting, over-achievers. Our children don't share these traits with us. Many days, it feels like their motivation comes from my nagging rather than an intrinsic desire to succeed.

I outsource the subjects I don't love, math and science. This has made a huge difference in my attitude; I teach what I have a passion for and don't teach what I dislike.

I wish my two daughters would always wake up and do their schooling and their chores without being asked and in a timely fashion.

Not long. I was a teacher in the public school system for 15 years before I started homeschooling. So I was confident in my abilities to teach. It did take about 2 years for us to settle in a curriculum that fit our family. We tried many things along the way.

Snuggling on the couch with my 9-yr old DD reading her read-alouds to her. Also, listening to my older help my younger with her studies.

My 15-hr old DD's education. I felt called to homeschool her when she was 2. I ignored the call until she was in 4th grade. Then we spent 2 years figuring out which curriculum fit our family. What's funny is a friend told me about Sonlight when I was researching curricula. However, I didn't choose it because the cost seemed astronomical. I wish I had chosen it then. Now that we've settled on Sonlight, I am constantly struggling with how much freedom to give her in her studies. We are repeating Core 100, because she chose not to do her work last year. She's only marginally doing it this year. Ugh! Working with her is like beating my head against a wall. However, I still feel I am making the right decision to homeschool. I just wish we had taken a different path.

I feel confident that my children are learning more with Sonlight than they would be in a traditional school. I am also confident in my organizational abilities. We have an organized home, as well as an organized school day. I really like routine.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher?

Math and science, so I outsource those. I am also not very confident that my older daughter is actually learning anything. I am a perfectionist. So if she's not working every subject daily, answering every question correctly, remembering every single thing we've ever learned, then I feel she's not learning. I am having a hard time coming to terms with a good yardstick for high school success.

When I am stressed, I have a nightmare that my girls will graduate from school and not know anything. To help keep this fear at bay, I give my girls the CAT at the end of each school year. I can measure their progress from year to year, as well as compare them to their peers. I also worry about college and scholarships now that I have a high schooler.

Nomadic Missy

Lunch time. It's the time where we have the most outside interruptions and I can feel the most stress if I didn't get done as much as I wanted.

Working on math with DD. We think, and organize thoughts very differently. I haven't found a way to help her understand math concepts yet, and I get impatient.

Fortunately, I am able to outsource the house-cleaning because casual labor is very cheap where we live, and my children do PE at the neighboring international school. So I feel like I have the ideal HSing situation. I just miss the occasional eating out and field trips.

That my DC would love learning.

HSing has always enhanced our life and been a joy for me. If we feel like we're in survival mode, it is because of other reasons.

Doing read-alouds.

Outside of HSing, I don't find it easy to play with my DC or relate to them emotionally.

I don't worry about grades, whether my DC are succeeding or doing enough. I'm not bothered what other people think about our choice to HS.

Whether I am succeeding in helping them love to learn. I struggle with the balance between teaching my DC persistence/how to do their best and keeping things light/fun. Right now DD is pretty sure the only way to have fun is avoiding any type of hard work. :wink:

How my personal struggles with transition and depression affect those around me.

MercyMom

Right now I struggle with having enough of me to go around. I have a Kindergartener, a 2nd grader who still needs hand holding on everything, a 3 year old, and a ten month old. I feel like I'm pulled 100 ways - change this diaper, grab that stack of books the baby is knocking over, help with this math page, ... all while a little one is trying to read out loud to me. We deal with sooo many interruptions just trying to get through the morning.

We live in a very small home and I wish I knew better how to best organize it efficiently. I'm always trying to clear off a pile of books or papers so that we can work. Also very frustrating is DD's attitude at times and knowing how to best help her out of it.

In some things, I just wish someone could tell me HOW to do it. Make a meal plan for me (gluten free, dairy free, soy free, etc.), tell me how to organize things, etc.

That my kids would love to learn and would develop a close relationship with each other as a family.

Its our fourth year and I feel like I'm finally settling in to some curriculum choices that are working well for our family - their learning styles and my teaching style.

When my girls are all happily working at the table on a craft project, their minds engaged and chattering away with each other and working. They LOVE doing crafts and projects.

Being too harsh with my kids, not fitting it all in (science, art, etc).

Having been homeschooled myself, as well as attending a public school, I am VERY confident that a home education is not lacking in any way and is worlds above anything they would be getting in public school.

My personality and teaching style meshing with my kids; choosing exactly the right curriculum; keeping it all under control (the dishes done, laundry, schoolwork, etc, it seems like something is always slipping).

Depending on the season - Which curriculum should I use? How can I better teach this or that? Wishing I could organize the house better...

Kel & the kids

Getting up and going in the morning and being the school "Martial" in all things - it's so hard to be the only one motivated to get anything done!

Dealing with my DS 12 - or bad attitudes in general. School could be so much more fun if...

Chef.

That we would look like those hs families in pictures all learning together, laughing, building relationships, having adventures.

Until my littlest was about 3 or 4 - so about 6 years, lol. Until then it always felt chaotic. Now things are pretty good!

The end? Just kidding, I love the RA's - especially now that everyone is participating.

I have this vague sense that my kids are missing out on something. I feel like it's a little boring for all of us just staying in the house working most days.

I feel a little guilty that my little girls are not getting all the books that are more their level read to them. I just don't have time.

My curriculum choices - for the most part.

The hearts of my children.

MMWalker

The transition from 'free time' following our reading time to 'table time' where we do their seat work.

Transitioning from quiet time (since they no longer need naps) to afternoon work which is usually chores.

Any house cleaning that goes beyond a basic wipe down/sweep up level.

To have a room dedicated to school where everything was neatly organized.

Honestly it's hard to remember - a few weeks perhaps. We started in pre-school with Sonlight and are in our third year now. I feel like it's still pretty low-key.

Reading together

Not doing the 'extras' on a consistent basis.

Their grasp of phonics and reading level far above grade level makes me confident that I can choose good programs/listen to good advice and follow instructions myself.

Their writing ability, whether it's where it should be or not. I do not consider myself to be a good writing so it's difficult to judge how they're doing.

Nothing.

Sillymama_of_2

What is the most difficult part of your day? Homeschooling in a country where it is illegal. Each time the doorbell rings with the meter reader or whomever, I have the children remain silent until I return. I also can not take them out during the day because of the chaos that ensues. I simply have to wait until all of the local children are out of school as well before running any errands or playing outdoors. The rude comments from every single person we encounter here because they know all too well that homeschooling is illegal and think that by us doing so we are comitting some type of abuse.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? That time of the month for DD. Sometimes she is just too emotional to press through and I have to send her off to have alone time before proceeding. Any other time, we have got things down to a good comfortable pace/schedule.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? deep cleaning. I love to cook and teach, so this area is fine.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? To provide the knowledge and skills that my children will have the option to do whatever their hearts desire when they are of age. (And enough of a biblical world view that I hope it would further His kingdom in one way or another) ;)

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) It was fairly quick because we started with the same school in a box kits that oldest was using in the Christian school she used to go to. Doing it this way in the beginning made all the difference before jumping into a curriculum that was less scripted. Since then, we have switched to Sonlight andfound a wonderful mix of what works best for us.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? when they make connections to information they have been previously exposed to and it brings about fabulous conversations

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Not having enough time for one on one time with each child. Also being pretty tired after a day of being the teacher, cook and cleaner that I really don't want to play games or all the fun extras. Granted I do because I know it is important, but I'd just assume check out and go and take a nap.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I know my children are getting a very solid education. We had to put them into school for a year back in 2010 because I had to teach to pay for the house that we were not able to sell when we moved. When we enrolled they were hesitant about the kids having been homeschooled. Within the first few weeks, both girls tested into the gifted program and oldest had a higher Lexile level than their high schoolers and was just starting 4th grade at that time. My husband says "the proof is in the pudding".

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? At one time I would say math, but since finding Teaching Textbooks a few years ago, I can honestly say that we are in a good place. My girls know what is expected of them, they enjoy the material and through trial and error have finally found which curriculum choices work best with their learning styles.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? This is not so much to do with homeschooling, but I worry how our frequent moves and lifestyle will affect the kids long term.

Edited by Sillymama_of_2

MainelyAMom

Probably getting us all up and ready to go in the morning. None of us are morning people. Even so, I would rather get that all done in the earlier part of the day rather than starting later.

Teaching math to my 6 year old. We both struggle and it can make things difficult.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? .

Deep cleaning of the house. It seems to be totally off my radar during the school year and then I end up being overwhelmed when I finally get to it.

That my children would truly develop a love for learning.

7 years before I really felt confident in what I was doing and was comfortable with the flow of things.

Hands down, when I'm reading to my kids.

Rushing through the topics or subjects my kiddos were interested in so I could move on and make sure all our boxes were checked.

That I let things slide when I shouldn't. That I don't always demand the best from my kids and accept work that is lazy.

That I am giving my children a better understanding of how our world works than if they were in pre school.

My math skills. I wish I had tried harder in school and not given up on myself.

That I'm not doing enough for my boys to be able to get through college and make a living to support a family.

clarinetlaj

well im brand spankin' new, but:

The hour before dinner OR the first 15 minutes of the day (when all 3 kids under 4 are up and needy)

Anything in school that requires "creativity" on the part of my little one. she doesnt understand it at all and shows me that i need to be working on this with her more often.....its like pulling teeth!

cleaning definitely. i would MUCH rather spend the time with the little'ns

That all my children would be well spoken and have a biblical discerning worldview

just started so......

Reading on the chouch

How easily I get frustrated when she cant understand something or isnt paying attention

Discenment in reading.

Art and math

my NON homeschool responsibilities (like housework)

4Roses

Getting all the subjects done for each child that must be done individually with my help. Time-wise this can be difficult, especially if we have any interruptions. Which we do. :)

Balancing "me" time and keeping the house clean the way I need it to be to feel relaxed and staying on top of errands and so forth while still getting all their school done consistently. I see friends who send their children to school and from this side of the fence, it does seem like they have so much more time to fit it all in.

Probably the cooking. And the grocery shopping.

That we prepare our children for their adult lives in their hearts, mind, and souls. Well, that's broad. But I sure hope in the end that they seek God's purpose for their lives and that their home education helps to prepare and equip them for God's calling, whatever that may be.

When we first began, our oldest was 4, followed by a 2 yr. old and a newborn. Life was in survival mode, regardless of the homeschooling. Then the fourth one came along 2 years later. It wasn't until they got a little bit older and were sleeping well and a bit more independent that life got a bit easier. With regards to homeschooling, we started with SL's preschool core and it was such a gentle lead-in to home schooling that it never seemed difficult. It was the highlight of our day! And it is all we've ever known so there really wasn't a survival mode for homeschooling.

That's an easy one. It's always been when we get to plop down on the couch together to read. And reading at night before bed.

That I'm not a "crafty" person and I don't like messes and so my kids have done minimal crafts through the years when I know that they would get a kick out of them. We do play-doh, coloring, paint with water... easy stuff. But I'm no fan of glue and glitter and tiny pieces of construction paper from cutting with little scissors. Sigh.

I know they are getting a better academic education, at least during these elementary grades, at home than they would in the local public school district. That I am very confident about.

Currently, with my oldest a 5th grader, I can look ahead far enough to see high school looming and it is a little intimidating to think of providing an excellent high school education at home. That's unchartered territory for us at this point and it's a little scary. Transcripts, fancy lab stuff for science, high school math, electives, extra-curriculars. Eeek.

Some of our kids have some mild physical differences and mild gross motor delays and I worry very much about the teenage years and how other kids might treat them, and helping them to develop a healthy self image and relationship with God in how He has made them.

Edited by 4Roses

polarbearla

Afternoon, I am really tired when afternoon hits and it is hard to get the last bit of school things done and prepare for things that still need to get done like a bit of housework and dinner. I think this is a physical thing and I am working on a few things to help with that.

Feeling like I am not getting enough done with my children's education. The day seems to tick on and I feel like we haven't done all our subjects or all the things I had planned and I don't understand what happened. Or I know what happened that we started our day too late and I feel guilty for not getting things done better.

You didn't ask what the best part of my day is but it came to mind with these other questions. The morning is actually my best part of the day. I feel refreshed and the whole day is ahead with no mistakes in it yet. We usually get quite a bit done in the morning and house is tidy.

I am starting to think I have perfectionist issues. :D

Some sort of physical education. Not a specific sport but a class that has my children learn a variety of skills and sports.

That my child loves God and is kind.

Atleast one school year and about half of the next. It seems to sort of start over with each child. There is more confidence as years go by but each new child has a new way to teach and each child will have their own challenges.

To be honest pretty much all of it. Each day has it's challenges and some days are better than others, but I like the whole time. The entire time of teaching and spending time with my kids. Obviously I like it better when a day goes smoothly but even with the difficulties there always seems to be a moment or two that were really great. A moment where we laughed or I felt they were enjoying learning or that they got something that was really hard.

Not doing hands on stuff and games. I hear people doing Homeschool in the Woods along with Sonlight and I see blogs of people doing journaling and all sorts of stuff. It just takes so much for us to do Sonlight and all our other subjects and a few electives like Rosetta Stone or Draw Squad that I just can't add that stuff in.

Even if Sonlight included more like scheduled it in, I am not sure it would help. I think I just want to be told over and over again that it's okay. That our children have plenty of time outside school time to play and do their own hands on stuff that I don't need to make that ONE MORE THING to be responsible for.

Choosing great curriculum, analyzing what my child needs, I feel intelligent and capable to teach nearly all our subjects other than writing.

Teaching writing and being consistent enough to carry all my plans out.

Am I doing enough.

The forums, blogs etc... has so many different families doing different things that it's hard to know if what I am doing is right or enough. We can't seem to get to each of our subjects or things that I planned out each day. Sometimes it feels like it takes me two days to do one day. I worry that I am not giving my child enough education.

Edited by polarbearla

Jeg97

Getting school started. We are always late and behind just getting through morning chores.

When a child isn't motivated to do something or things on my agenda.

Laundry, including the folding and putting away.

I wish I could control when the ECAs come into the schedule. I hate that our swim team has to be weds and fris at 1 pm, or the only choir I could find is ,on days at 5 pm, etc.

I have never felt completely lost, but I have never felt like we get everything done either... We seem to always be a little behind no matter what.

When we get done with all our seat and project work and start "story time" ( read alouds)

I am keeping my kids to myself and depriving them of a life independent of me.

I know my kids best and how to run my house and make things work.

when I "sin" in reaction to my kids sins, and lose my temper with them, or I just can't be a perfect teacher. My favorite teacher in public school I only had one year, but she was so nice and made everything fun. 80 percent of my other teachers had major baggage. My kids don't get to pick their teacher nor do they get to change after a year, they are stuck with me for the duration, I owe it to them to be the best teacher they could have.

heartofjoy

What is the most difficult part of your day? getting up and getting started!

What is the most frustrating part of your day? editing writing. Or being interrupted a thousand times.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? chauffeur

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? I'd wish for the money to buy everything I needed.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) I can't really remember. I was planning it since oldest was 2.5. The transition was slow and painless.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? reading aloud :)

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? that I spend too much time online, reading, or watching tv when I could be doing useful things around the house or possibly even making money from some work-at-home job.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? that it's all going to turn out all right in the end.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? did you mean "least"? my ability to communicate my faith to my kids.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? how I'm going to juggle having three children in team sports at the same time.

:)

lucyfan70

What is the most difficult part of your day? the afternoon. I'm all ready to go in the morning and then by the afternoon I am unmotivated!!!

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Bed time. I can't seem to get in a routine at bedtime

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? cleaning

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? that my girls would always love to learn

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) after a year or two

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? when I get to snuggle on the couch and read to and with my girls

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Not getting to spend enough time with all the girls

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I at least know what I am doing:,)

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Whether or not I am teaching them all they need to know.

MomtoL,A,O,C

What is the most difficult part of your day? The getting started part

What is the most frustrating part of your day? The getting everybody started part

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Chef :) Detest cooking

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? To have $ for ALL the books we want :)

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) I was hs'ed so I was already use to it.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Once we get going in our school work. Or the hour before bed when I am curled up after a good days hard work enjoying a book.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Taking time off when ever I /we want. I wonder if they will turn 18 and know what they are supposed to know.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? The kids are in a great environment they are happy well adjusted and secure.

What do you stay up at night worrying about?Funds to buy what we want and need and math. Math is NOT a favorite subject around here.Also due to life a few years ago we got behind and sometimes it seems we just keep getting further and further behind. Frustrating.

Judy

Thanks so much for your feedback. I really enjoyed reading all your responses!

candjmunoz

Don't know if you're still collecting responses...

What is the most difficult part of your day? The 5-10 minutes before every meal and the first 5-10 minutes into the meal. Everyone (kids) is talking, needing, asking, etc.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Decision-making. Currently our kids make too many decisions and getting from the “what do you want?†to the decision is frustrating.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Cooking and cleaning. And if I could only have one, it’d be cooking.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? Right now? That I could prioritize my day very well, know what is important, do what is important, and feel good about it. To feel good about it. That’s what I want.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) SL really has things very well planned out. With P3/4, I was fine. Starting P4/5 with grade K readers, there was so much more to think about. I still don’t feel like I have a good handle on it, but my husband assures me he’s satisfied with our progress (and the major breaks we’ve taken to allow our son to mature). I don’t honestly think I’m in survival mode, but I don’t think we’re “in the swing of things†either.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Bedtime reading. And when my son actually LOVES the worksheets. Sometimes he doesn’t. I’m learning not to take it personally.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? I struggle with this question. I feel guilty about things that I rationally know are ok. I feel as though I’ve held up my son’s progress in learning to read. Rationally, I know he was also showing signs of not being ready for the lessons. I think it has a lot to do with feeling guilty about not keeping up with public school standards, even though I know I’m honoring my son’s learning aptitude. And I feel guilty when we don’t read enough. When our breaks from “school†don’t include lots of other reading.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I am confident that we are doing “enough school†when we read enough. That reading is the best school preparation I could possibly do. Not drilling letter names and sounds, numbers, counting, etc. Those things are what I’m told are important, but I know better. And I’m thankful that I have that confidence.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Whether or not I have been faithful in engaging my childrens’ hearts. Whether or not I’ve been selfish with my time and my children felt put off . . . again. Whether or not my children will see the love of Christ in me or just my pursuit for unattainable perfection. Whether or not I honored Christ with my life or just myself. I want my kids to be successful, but I want more for them to be secure in the love of God and their parents.

Stringybark Sarah

Getting four children settled into a good start to their school work.

Trying to juggle necessary morning housework, school at four levels, and having DH now working from home too.

I have outsourced music and sport teaching. I am happy to do the rest.

That my children look back on the hours we spent together and treasure them as much as I have. I also hope they retain some of what I have taught.

I started with one child, and within a few weeks we had the hang of it. Every year, my first couple of weeks are in survival mode until we find our groove again. Every year has a different mix of children (as the littlies came on board) and subjects, and requires a total adjustment of timing and methods.

Sitting on the couch in the lounge reading aloud to all four children. Its everyone's favourite part of the day.

Not getting up early enough in the morning to really start in an organised manner. Without an external timeframe I can be lazy, and starting the day on a slow footing impacts on so many aspects of the day. Sometimes we don't finish what we start to do - memorising passages is begun, but not completed for example. I feel guilty about not being the totally patient engaging and humorous teacher that would really inspire my kids. I just tell them what to do and expect it done. It would surely be more fun if I was a little more excited about the process.

I am confident about teaching the basics of reading, writing, math, science and history. I read aloud with expression and interest, and my kids are interested and engaged.Many times they have shown me their retention of the material we are covering.

See above.

I am least confident about teaching higher level subjects, art, and specialty subjects. In general if my children have a bent towards a particular subject that I know nothing about, they self teach anyway though.

Have I maintained a good relationship with my children, which will lead them towards their own relationships with God. Have I modelled the behaviour I expect from them. Do I live up to the lofty ideals and goals I set for myself and our family. Do we provide enough diversity and richness to the home educating experience? How can I more fully reach the heart of my children and lead them in the right paths.

1pageatatime

Trying to wrap things up before the kids leave for BB.

Around breakfast time, as I try to fix a good breakfast, yet keep ds nearby and ready to begin his studies.

Cleaning the house.

Someone to come into our home 2-3 days a week for 2 hours each to help clean and organize.

Probably about the 3rd year.

Bible & Read Aloud times!

How my chronic illnesses negatively impact our dc.

Ha! My ability to research curriculum. (That must count?)

My kids' hearts, any weak areas I feel I could improve, whether I am doing my job in nurturing their faith enough.

BarefootLady

The hour before dinner when everyone is whiny.

The evening, when I look around my house and at my to-do list and feel like I will never get it all done.

Inside chores (I like yard/garden chores!), whiny children moments (I really dislike high-pitched noises of any kind, I can handle behavior issues and attitude, but I really wish there was a mute button for the whining!)

That my children develop a life long love of learning and reading and an appreciation for family.

Well, our first semester (Jan-May 2011) I started out with a basic game plan, merging BFIAR with some of my own lessons, routines, and so forth. After a couple weeks, I felt like we had ironed out the kinks and had a pretty good routine going. I then spend about 6 months researching and making a loose long-range plan. Having an idea of the general direction we are headed in made me feel more confident in what we were doing. I honestly feel like it is getting easier (organizationally and structurally speaking) as we moved to sonlight and as the cores progress (I have looked at a lot of the older cores that belong to a close friend of mine with much older children) because more of a frame work is provided. Also, my kids are in the routine, and know what to expect so that makes it easier too.

When my younger DD brings her picture books to her big sister, who says "I can read that to you!" and then does :) I love watching her growing confidence in her skill set and I love watching the bond between them grow. Oh, and I also love when they each pick a BOB book and lay down to read - the older is reading her book out loud, and the younger has a very serious expression on her face as she "reads" her book silently.

Being to busy with life (house, mothering, schooling, etc), and not making the most of this year in which my husband is non-deployable. It seems like the repetitive daily tasks of life (school is a small piece of this) consume more time than I would like.

Teaching the academic subjects.

Teaching electives, reporting to the government, planning high school properly (a long way off, but still)

the government destroying our economic future and systematically undermining the constitution. The moral decline of our culture, the decline of the core family within our culture . . . things like that. Homeschooling is one thing that never keeps me up at night - homeschooling is one of the most consistently positive aspects of my life.

going"home"

Getting out of bed. And that period after nap time when the little kids are hungry and I'm not done reading to the big kids.

I often am frustrated in the evening when I want to prepare, or do other things but I feel very tired. Also when I find that ds has not done the work that I've asked him to do.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? I've been asking dh to hire a cook for quite a while. (This is not a reality but something that I would like.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? To be just left alone to do only homeschooling with my kids. I would love to have just that one obligation.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day? I think it took several months. The first few days were not hard. The hard days came with moving and having babies.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Reading aloud to my children. AND seeing them learn to read.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Not giving enough time and thought to the outside world. Perhaps I am giving too much time to my children??

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I feel like I have a good way of making and keeping routines going and changing them if I need to.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? The state of the world?? Money? Why there was a dead mouse in the living room.

I accidentally erased the things that I feel "least" confident about. And those are the things that Sonlight doesn't cover like French. I also struggle with teaching math because I just do not have the time to keep up with the big kids.

Edited by going"home"

knitwit

Beginning and end: beginning, because I'm not a morning person, but I found that my students needed to get certain academics done in the AM; and end, because they always seemed to drag the day out and were never finished by the time I thought they "should be."

See the above question.

I did outsource music education and in the high school years, writing. If I'd been able to afford it, I would have outsourced cleaning.

Space for a proper library of all our wonderful books - as it is, they are scattered all over the house wherever we can fit them.

Since I started them in Kindergarten and had studied up on it for years before that, I had a pretty good hang of things right from the beginning.

Read alouds!

If anything, it would be the fun things we didn't get to do because of my health, and the papers I never did get around to grading.

That my kids have learned to think.

Nothing to do with homeschooling anymore. I'm all done!

amettie

Here are the answers to your questions in a WORD file.

Thanks,

Angie in Idaho :)

sunny369

Mornings, DD doesn't like to get up and I wouldn't mind if she did her HE in the evenings (after all home school is flexible right?) but she doesn't want to work evenings either!!

It can be very frustrating persuading DD to get started and do some work.

A wonderful, inspired Language Arts tutor experienced in the field of dyslexia. I suppose a chef would be rather nice too!

That DD would realize just how intelligent she really is and become a happy lifelong learner and stop stressing.

About one year. At the end of the first year I could see how far we had come.

Times when we are enjoying having a really good discussion or debate.

I feel guilty when I let my frustration at her progress (or lack of it) show.

Generally my own enthusiasm for learning and finding things out.

My own weaknesses in math/science at high school level, and high school stuff generally (grading/credits/transcipts etc) We are Grade 9.

I don't worry too much but if I do it is usually about how to best help my DD with her dyslexia / dyscalculia / other special needs and how to best equip her for a career if she doesn't pass any exams or manage to achieve in formal academic terms. Actually thinking about it, I worry about it because it worries her, personally I have faith it will work out fine, but I don't like to see her worrying about academic failure which she does.

Hunny

Some days it is just getting up at the same time each day so I can start school about the same time each day.

Some days it just seems like it takes forever for the kids to get their school work done. I get mad at them when they goof around too much.

I already outsource some of our electives because I just can't do it all. Our co-op has classes for drama, art, Lego Science, and Survival Skills. For PE I take the kids to Tae Kwon Do twice a week.

That I didn't have so many failed curriculum choices sitting on my shelf. I'd sell it, but I am waiting because I may be able to use some of it with my youngest son.

We started homeschooling from the start, so it seemed easy. I was a trained public school teacher, but quickly learned that I didn't know how to teach my son to read or do proper handwriting. I asked some of my friends who were teachers too. First, it was hard to choose curriculum and figure out how to teach it. It was also hard to make sure I was teaching all I was supposed to be. And the hardest thing to do was find a support group that would work well for our family and schedule. It was a few years before I got the hang of all of it.

I love reading aloud to my children. We love to read and snuggle on the couch. It is our favorite part of the day.

I feel guilty that I didn't focus much on technical writing skills in the early elementary years. I also feel that I allowed my sons to take too much time to learn their basic math facts because I sense they are behind in that area.

I feel confident that I have finally learned enough about the various curriculums out there to make good choices for my children.

I try not to worry, especially at night. When I do, it is about my health and being there for my boys as they grow up. I worry about being able to find a piano teacher for my oldest that won't cost too much, which is difficult where we live (small town). I worry about how to help my middle child eat better and stop being overweight. I worry about going to slow academically with my youngest and have him end up behind like his brothers.

doctormom

What is the most difficult part of your day? juggling my time between working outside of the home part time, teaching the children, and keeping up with their activities. I have a great assistant/co-teacher helping with supervising school work and transporting to activities while I am at work, and I could never do it without her.

What is the most frustrating part of your day? pushing one of my children to do his best instead of rushing through with his work

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? house cleaning

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? to have all of my children love to do their school work

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) at least a year

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? when everybody is really interested in a particular lesson and gets excited about discussing it - it does happen at least once a day most days

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? not having the kids spend as much time with their friends as they sometimes want (though they do NOT want to go back to school to see their friends)

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? If we do not finish everything today, there is always tomorrow.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? whether I am pushing one child too much.

MommyPenguin

The evening, especially on bath nights. We get tired by the end of the kid's part of the day, and they're also tired enough to be at their slowest and most likely to fall down and start crying, fight with each other, or start crying over silly things.

The same. The hour before bedtime.

Probably cleaning, although I'm not certain I'd want somebody around the house cleaning while I was there.

I'm not really sure. I'm fairly content where we are.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?

Probably takes me a few weeks to a month each time we start a new year to get into a good routine for that age level (I have very young kids, so it's sort of figuring out how much school is appropriate for that age, what we can get done, etc.). Overall, it took me a few weeks or a month to get used to school when we first started doing it as a routine, but I'd say it was probably over a year before I got the hang of how to homeschool in general (how to plan ahead, etc.).

My favorite part is when I read to the kids (Sonlight stuff, mostly), because that's the kids' favorite part.

I feel a little guilty that my kids don't "get out more." Either we don't get much school done, or we don't get out to do other activities and see other kids much.

I'm pretty confident that the kids are actually learning, which is reassuring.

Nothing! I sleep pretty well. Sometimes I might be thinking about homeschool stuff as I go to sleep, but usually it's in a pretty positive way, thinking of new games I want to make to do with my new reader, etc.

sewinglady

Getting out the door, to get to work on time is always the most difficult! (With Dd, food, school supplies, etc!)

I am quite frustrated when I do have a day at home to do school with my dd, yet I am so busy with housework and such that we end up doing no school at all.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? I would like to have a professional organizer, to help me with scheduling and organizing my home! A house keeper who isn't easily overwhelmed by having to pick up the same clutter each visit would be nice too!

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? I would love to have all of our books on cd's so we could listen to them together while driving, working, cleaning, etc.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) I've been homeschooling for years, the feeling just comes and goes so often! I didn't know there was another mode.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? My favorite moments are when my daughter just openly discusses various topics she has been studying. The other day she was surprised that her friend didn't know about Albert Einstien. It lead to a great discussion.

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? I never feel as if we are doing enough. I feel sometimes that she might benifit from another teacher, but I do my best and keep trying.

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I am proud of my daughter and what a wonderful person she is developing into! She has such a beautiful heart, she loves people, she is kind and generous and comfortable around people of all backgrounds and cultures. I believe although she has not been taught in a traditional way, God is leading us each day!

What do you stay up at night worrying about? I don't worry too much, I am so exhausted, I just enjoy my quite time by following my own studies until I it is my time to fall asleep.

Momma Crystal

Getting everyone going in the morning so we can be productive.

See above... getting everyone going in the morning so we can be productive!

I'd give anything to have someone come in and clean all of my floors at least once a week. That'd be heaven.

That we could continue to do what we do, because it is working fabulously, without such a big price tag. That's if you are talking practical. But really, I pray that our homeschool is filled with fond memories and that my children are left with a heart for serving God.

Almost 2 years.

When we leave the curriculum behind and go off on tangent discussions. I learn so much about my children during those moments. The often come after reading a story together.

Always that it is never enough. I'll never be enough. That they could be/should be/would be doing more... some how some way.

That I truly know and understand exactly where my children are academically and emotionally... in all aspects of life.

I worry that my five year old is moving to quickly or at the same time that I'm pushing him too hard. Am I striking balance with him? With his older brother? Am I leaving their baby sister behind? How can I give her more attention?

sangenuer

Hmm... getting out of bed in the morning can be difficult. But aside from that, I'd say that the afternoon when we're nearing the end of history and read-aloud readings and my voice is tired.

I'd say the most frustrating part of my day is partway through the morning. My girls do math and science with daddy first thing, then I get them started on their independent work for me (bible reading, grammar worksheets, typing practice). Generally at some point during that process I'll realize that things didn't get done before school started: teeth aren't brushed, or dishes aren't washed, whatever. If I make them stop what they're doing to take care of the undone jobs, we lose momentum. If I don't then we run into a wall later in the day--like at lunchtime when all the dishes are still dirty.

I have outsourced some. DH teaches math and science. I had someone coming in to clean once a week (we live in a country where having house help is the norm) but I found that it was harder to stay out of her way than to just do the work myself. If I could get someone more often it might be more worthwhile.

That my kids would love to learn. At this point, they don't mind it but they're not especially curious or eager learners.

I think a year to a year and a half.

Read-aloud time! This usually includes our history readings. I love indulging my inner drama queen and really get into the readings. This is one part of the day that my kids do generally look forward to.

Sometimes I don't think I've pushed them hard enough, especially in language arts. I have one reluctant writer, one who has a hard time grasping grammar concepts, and one with fine motor issues and ADHD. It's hard to know when to push and when to let up. All three of my kids are not writing "at grade level" for whatever that's worth. I try not to let it bother me, but occasionally it does. I keep telling myself that it will come eventually.

That it will all be okay. In the grander scheme of things it doesn't really matter that we forgot to do spelling today. My kids are learning and thriving like they would never do in a traditional school setting, especially now that we live in another country.

Whether there are unaddressed learning issues with my middle DD. Some things are really a struggle for her but she doesn't seem to fit the profile of any of the learning disabilities you hear about the most (dyslexia, processing issues, whatever). Still, it seems that there might be something atypical going on.

Jeremmy

What is the most difficult part of your day? Dinner time

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Dinner time

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Scrubbing the bathtub.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? A separate room to do it in. And a bunch of money to go with it ;)

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) a year

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? the flexibility

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? never feeling like we are cramming enough into the day/too laid back/not spending hours upon hours doing paperwork...basically, we have so much fun i feel like we must be doing something wrong!

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? teaching reading

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? maybe it was supposed to say least confident about? that would be teaching science in math in the high school years to come.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? that they wont be as smart as they would be if i had sent them to school.

Pam<><

Meal prep maybe? I have one with special dietary needs, and another who's just plain picky. So, feeding everyone.

When I ask someone to do something, and it's like talking to a brick wall (especially if it's when the little ones are chasing the dog or each other through the house and I'm asking them to knock it off!)

Meals--prep and clean up. Unfortunately, eating at restaurants for every meal is too expensive (and folks can't even agree on which restaurant to eat at half the time either!). Someone to clean floors and bathrooms would be nice too. :)

That I had more time to work with my autistic teenager (i have another older teenager too, plus two little ones competing for my attention, so he often gets lost in the crowd).

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day)?

I "quit" homeschooling, oh, about every 6 weeks or so, for, oh, about 8 years. And then I really quit homeSCHOOLing and became and unschooler. That was about 3 years ago. I almost never want to quit unschooling, and we've definitely got the hang of it now. We still enjoy reading SL books together, but at our own pace and in conjunction with whatever people's interests are at the time. Lately it's been a lot of "Missions and Martyrs" type books, some from SL and some from other sources.

When we all actually do something together instead of everyone going his own way doing his own thing. We have such a diverse group of kids, both age-wise and developmentally, that doing stuff together that everyone likes is pretty special.

My autistic one getting lost in the shuffle and/or not getting to go out and DO the things he'd really like to go do. But that will improve as the two little ones get a little bit older (they're only 4 & 2 right now, and it's hard to go "adventuring" with 3 "needy" kids, even with the oldest and very helpful big brother along). When dh is home/with us, we manage to do a lot more (we're more able to divide and conquer with that third "big person" along! Looking forward to his probably retiring in a couple of years too!).

That I've figured out how my kids learn and try to facilitate their styles/needs instead of trying to make them fit my preferred style or trying to make them fit into someone else's box.

I get to answer again? Okay, I'll answer with my 2nd most confident thing--that college degrees and even high school diplomas are unnecessary to live a full and productive and successful life, either by man's standards or by God's. :)

If it was supposed to be "least confident"--hmmmm.. Probably that I'll still be "allowed" to homeschool/unschool my two littlest ones through their high school years. But I'm not really unconfident in any areas as a homeschooler/unschooler anymore, although there are always changes/tweaks/adjustments to be made as the kids grow up and change.

Well, not much, anymore. But if you mean what concerns me with regards to "homeschooling" in the future, I am concerned about it's continued legality, or perhaps more specifically about the state not intruding into a parent's right to choose whether and HOW to homeschool their kids (including what to teach and whether to test).

I also worry a bit about all the folks that always tout how much higher on standardized tests homeschoolers score compared to public or even private school counterparts, for two reasons. First, more and more folks (including me) are choosing to homeschool kids with "special needs," and as that continues, those score differences may not be so large anymore. Also, if Common Core Standards becomes the basis for testing (and thus ultimately for college admissions too), then homeschoolers who aren't teaching the Common Core Standards curriculum may not score so well on those tests as the public school kids and may not fare as well on college admissions either (and who knows, may lose the "privilege" to homeschool). Thus, I think homeschoolers need to be very wary of touting "better test scores" as a reason or justification for homeschooling, because it may come back to bite them in the butt.

whiteroses

I work part time, from three thirty to six. My most difficult time of day is the end of the day, ensuring everyone has a healthy dinner and gets to bed on time so that the next day doesn't start poorly.

Cooking and meal planning. This includes cleaning the darn kitchen.

That my kids would love to learn. I don't care if they're the best at a subject, advanced, or even on grade level. I do care that they have a passion for new information and for reading.

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) s

I'm still in survival mode, but my oldest is in kindergarten. Some days I don't even feel like we are surviving.

Read alouds, when everyone is actually listening and cuddling. :)

That sometimes I'm just too tired to do some fun extras my children would enjoy. I really don't want to get paint out. I'm too tired to clean it up.

I have chosen curriculums that allow our schooling to be on autopilot. I do not feel tied to a grade level, or an IG, but I have it and use it. When I go to bed, I don't worry about how I will figure out what we're doing in school tomorrow. I know I can just open a book and we can learn something and have fun.

I assume this is least confident. I worry that my children's behavior isn't age appropriate, because I don't have anyone to compare them to. Perhaps that's a good thing. :) But when the four year old is pitching a fit, it makes me wonder if it's my fault, and if she were in preschool, would some peer pressure handle it.

Balancing the children's needs with mine and my husband's needs. When he's home, I'm exhausted. If your marriage isn't moving forwards, it's moving backwards. I don't believe it ever just stays still.

storybookmum

Late afternoon - we usually start our school work later than most schooled kids, around 11 a.m. That's just life as shift workers. My kids are on more or less permanent afternoons, and they get up later. So we school later, and Meredith gets restless when her friends are coming home from school, and wants to get things over with. I know we should start earlier, but when I frequently work till 1 or 2 a.m., it's hard to do that.

That point in time where I'm trying to make sure that the "rest" of the work is going to get done while I get ready to go to work, and I'm trying to crunch effectively through a rused period of time. Or any time that I'm trying to school around appointments. Or between long shifts or overtime - I'm tired a lot. And I struggle with my temper when I'm over tired, and I'm not as patient as I should be. I get very anxious when Meredith is not grasping a concept and I know she's performing below grade level, or when I see that she would live attached to her iPod apps and tv shows if I let her, and I constantly have to reel her away from them to get her to do school work or read a book. These things mke me very tense.

Cleaner, definitely. I have zero interest in cleaning and tidying. Also, bill paying. I'd like to hand all that over and just work, teach, and cook.

To be a stay-at-home-Mom, so I could do it "properly" in normal hours, with a decent focus.

N/A - I've always homeschooled, so we just grew into it.

That nice fresh start at the beginning of the day, with a cup of tea in my hand, and a clean page of notes to start taking, when the kids are alert and ready to go, and we're already laughing together over our zany approach to keeping things memorable.

Having to work - leaving them to do work that I can't supervise, and then realising that they've struggled with it, when I get home, and they have to redo things, because I wasn't there to help them do it right the first time.

This is an answer that improves as the years go by. I'm really confident that they've got a solid foundation of skills, that they still like to learn, that they're naturally inquisitive and creative, that they're developing at their own pace, whether it be fast or slow, and that they have a greater opportunity to discover and make the most of their aptitudes. I'm confident that I'm good at this, that I can communicate with them effectively, and that there's a lot of really good stuff that's sticking in their brains.

I guess, mostly, how to make sure that Caroline gets into university in the program she wants, as a homeschooler. I feel like the path is less clearly definited for Canadian homeschoolers, and that I'm just going to have to chart our own path. Sometimes I worry that I don't make them write enough and that they may not be as skilled on paper in standardised testing or college essays as I believe they come across orally. I worry about making the right choices for each upcoming year to maximise their possibilities for the future, and keep them engaged and successful and well-rounded.

And every now and then, I have a nagging bit of fear that they'll be handicapped by our unconventional choices, not because there's anything wrong with them, but because the "system" might make things difficult for them when it's time for post-secondary. And then I won't know how to fix that and will feel responsible for it.

Mommylissa

Pulling out what we need to get started. Mind you, I am an over organized, things need to be in there place, kind of person, but that does not matter. We have limited space in our home. Getting out our materials for the day just so we can get started is often difficult, or at the very least I'd say it is time consuming.

(It would be awesome to have all the the LA and Science worksheets as PDF files so that I could just open it on my computer each day and print what I need, rather than having to juggle binders and totes to get things together. An electronic IG would be help too!)

Putting everything away... I hate putting stuff away that we will be taking back out in a few hours or the next day, i.e books, binders, math manipulatives, play-do, science stuff, etc, but there is just not enough room in our house to have out everything we need for schooling all day long. And because we are limited on space, putting things away properly takes time.

Research and Development!

My boys love learning and meeting their demand for more on a tight budget can really consume every waking hour of my day if I let it. And the fact that we are stuck at home most days means I have to work extra hard at filling their time with meaningful activities, or deal with the extra housework their own creativity brings forth.

That my children would never look back and wish I had schooled them any other way.

I still feel like I am in survival mode, so I can't answer this. When ever I get it all figured out, something else gets tossed into the mix and throws me all off.

Seeing my children light up when they learn something new and exciting to them, or when I put that "Way to Go" sticker on a worksheet they finished, or when they get a glimpse at the new and interesting book we are about to start... I love seeing that light in my children's eyes.

We do not get out of the house enough. We used to have weekly field trips, before my husband totaled one of our vehicles. Now we are stuck in the house most days while he is at work until we can afford to replace it.

My children love learning.

Preparing my quarterly reports for my school district. I'm not as good at recording everything as I should be. Though I don't really feel like I should have to record everything, but they do.

thevasquez3

What is the most difficult part of your day? Juggling the needs of two young boys while overly pregnant with a thrid boy while trying to deal with the emotional rollercoaster that is my girl through her homeschooling day

What is the most frustrating part of your day? meals.. if we could only eat cereal and apples for every meal!!

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? I would outsource laundry, cooking, and shopping. Actually I love to cook, but I hate deciding what to make just to face the moans and groans from the family.

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? I pray that our homeschool experience is what God called u to do- raise kids who will love God with all their hearts, souls, minds and strength. And not hate each other in the process- so far so good!

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) I've homeschooled my daughter since she was three its been up and down. This is a good year. We have a general plan- thanks to the IGs. DD is older now and does most of it herself with a little proding. I haven't stressed over it too much. I have three little boys coming up fast and I'm not sure how everything will work with those guys in the mix.

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? watching my kids play together, watching my daughter share her knowledge with the younger guys- odd, my favorite part of homeschooling has little to do with school!

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? Guilt is a strong word. Don't feel guilty about much cause I can only do my best. I'm broken, so are my kids. Big picture- if everyone is fed, dressed and breathing- I think we are doing alright- everything else is gravy!

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? I love my kids. I know I will screw up something at some point- but that's why God gave us grace. I hope I am sharing that grace with my kids. They will get what they need eventually- maybe not my timeline, but in the Lord's timeline it will all get done.

What are you least confident about as a homeschool teacher? Consistency. We have struggled with that as a family.

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Nothing to do with homeschooling- I'm nine months pregnant I stay up cause I have to go to the bathrooom every three minutes! Seriously though, I'm confident with our homeschooling choices. I can be cause my daughter is a bright, well mannered, well read girl with big ideas and a big heart. My boys are playful and kind and excited about learning. I feel blessed. There is a great verse about worrying and how it doesn't help anything- so why bother losing sleep when you don't have too.

lovarev

What is the most difficult part of your day? The transition between early morning chores/breakfast/play to school----not for me, but for her :)

What is the most frustrating part of your day? Isn't any pattern to that.....there are different things that might be frustrating....or, none at all.

If you could outsource one aspect of your work as a homeschool teacher/ mom/ chef/ cleaner/ etc., what would it be? Cleaner

If you could have one wish come true about your homeschool, what would it be? to never worry about cost!

When you first started homeschooling, how long did it take for you to feel like you had the hang of it (Like you weren’t just in survival mode from day to day?) The first month was difficult....probably after Thanksgiving.....

What is your favorite part of your homeschool day? Read alouds, singing Bible verses, history, and science

What do you feel guilty about as a homeschooler teacher / mom? needing some quiet time each day.....

What are you most confident about as a homeschool teacher? Reading, math

What do you stay up at night worrying about? Meeting her needs as an advanced, possibly gifted student.