Halle

Four Year Plan

Halle

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a four year plan for my son. This will be our first time going through High School, so I just wanted a bit of input, even if it's a "yeah, that looks fine!"

G9 - Core H, using a "beefier" spine than SOW. I don't want to do 100 and I don't think my son is ready for 200 yet (he's at the younger end of his grade). I'm going to add a few books from 100 in such as To Kill a Mockingbird and Tom Sawyer. Throwing some Canadian history in too - probably go through Canada A People's History DVDs again.

G10 - Core 200

G11 - Core 300

G12 - Canadian History using Donna Ward's High School curriculum, Canadian Civics and SL Economics. Plus some of the literature from 530.

LA, Science, Math etc. I'm happy with, we'll continue with Apologia, MUS, Wordsmith for G9, Rosetta Stone for French in G9 and G10.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Lyn

curious

I didn't realize Donna Wards 20th-century Canadian history for high school was a one year program, I thought it was a 3 year program. This is good news! Maybe we can fit it in for high school now! I just also found out about Canadian Civics and we are planning to use it. Canada a People's history is great, we did it in late elementary/ early junior high, but will watch it again in high school. It all looks good to me!

Halle

I didn't realize Donna Wards 20th-century Canadian history for high school was a one year program, I thought it was a 3 year program. This is good news! Maybe we can fit it in for high school now! I just also found out about Canadian Civics and we are planning to use it. Canada a People's history is great, we did it in late elementary/ early junior high, but will watch it again in high school. It all looks good to me!

Yes, Donna Ward is for one year. It's nice to have a ready made Canadian High School Course out there, it's aimed at G11, but looking at the books I'd be happy using it with G12. I still might switch my G11 and G12 plans around so that 300 is used for G12 and Canadian history and civics used for G11.

Halle

I don't have to time to post anything substantial right now, but I'll come back later.

Your plan looks good :)/> Do you have Modern History Through Canadian Eyes? It matches up Canaidan History w/ the SOTW books. It has suggestions for Highschool History Spine. If you're adding the canadian to Core H you may not need to replace the SOTW books. They may be a great addition to all that you'll be doing with him. the MHTCE uses them in addtion to the highschool spines & Canada's People DVDs. Your teaching using a "variety" of textes and books. I think if ALL you were using was SOTW then it would not be enough, but if you look at the "whole" picture you've probably got enough material to make it high school worthy. Don't forget you'll have science and math and who knows what else. Anyway.... hope that made sense.

O.k. I've got to go. I've got to get ready for the IEW co-op class I'm teaching this morning :bye:/>

ETA - Next year will be my 1st year with a 9th grader too. I can hardly believe it!!!! Where did the time go :blink:/>

That's a good idea using Canadian history spines instead of replacing SOTW with something else. We have Modern History Through Canadian eyes and used it a few years ago. We did Core 3+4 (the old one year US history), then followed this up with one year of Canadian History using Heather Penner's unit study. I'm thinking about getting Desmond Morton's A Short History of Canada, which I know Tree of Life use in their High School Canadian History module.

I can't believe we're fast approaching G9, it seems so much more scarier to me than when we started elementary! I want to get this right, you know, I feel like I can't afford to make any curriculum mistakes for high school, whereas in the early grades it didn't matter so much if certain things didn't "work" that year - KWIM?

Halle

We'll also be doing Contact Canada and the Sea to Sea study guide for Geography in either G10 or G11.

RaineyJ

Here's what we are doing:

Grade 9: Canadian History

Grade 10: Core 200

Grade 11: Core 300

Grade 12: Canadian Civics and Economics

For Grade 10 Canadian history I used the Canadian History Paces from A.C.E, along with Story of Canada and CBC's A Peoples History DVD series. For literature we read Canadian historical fiction.

For Grade 12 I plan on using the Canadian Civics Paces, and probably SL's Economics. For literature that year I will probably try SL's 530-British Lit.

I've only looked at Donna Ward's new program briefly, but from what I've seen it only covers 20th century Canadian history. It looks like it would go really well with Core 300, but I think it might be tough to try to do both courses in the same year. I'm eager to get a look at it an our next homeschool convention.

What are you planning to use for Canadian Civics?

Halle

Here's what we are doing:

Grade 9: Canadian History

Grade 10: Core 200

Grade 11: Core 300

Grade 12: Canadian Civics and Economics

For Grade 10 Canadian history I used the Canadian History Paces from A.C.E, along with Story of Canada and CBC's A Peoples History DVD series. For literature we read Canadian historical fiction.

For Grade 12 I plan on using the Canadian Civics Paces, and probably SL's Economics. For literature that year I will probably try SL's 530-British Lit.

I've only looked at Donna Ward's new program briefly, but from what I've seen it only covers 20th century Canadian history. It looks like it would go really well with Core 300, but I think it might be tough to try to do both courses in the same year. I'm eager to get a look at it an our next homeschool convention.

What are you planning to use for Canadian Civics?

Having spent some time covering Canadian History, I kind of like the idea of studying Canadian 20th Century history in depth, as I feel, bar WW1 and WW2, that Canadian history is kind of hurried through the 20th century with other resources we've used.

I'm still trying to work out what exactly we'll use for civics. One option is to just go through Paces. Other ideas I've had include: Canadian Civics by Ruypers & Ryall, which is a textbook used in Ontario High Schools, Government: Participating in Canada by Don Quinlan et al and All About Law by Terry Murphy et al.

RaineyJ

Having spent some time covering Canadian History, I kind of like the idea of studying Canadian 20th Century history in depth, as I feel, bar WW1 and WW2, that Canadian history is kind of hurried through the 20th century with other resources we've used.

Good point!

That's got me thinking that maybe when we do Core 300 I'll make the Donna Ward program our spine, and just add some of the Core 300 history materials to supplement, instead of doing it the other way around. Hmmm....food for thought.

Thanks for sharing your ideas for Civics too. I haven't researched the options in this area very much yet, so it's good to hear what others are doing. :)

Halle

Dd will be using SL's Core 200 next year for 9th grade. I will probably be adding Donna Ward's geography as well as it fits the 9th grade Ontario requirements - I'm still researching this.

I was looking at Donna Ward's high school 20th Century Canadian History --- it says it fits the Ontario requirements for 10th/11th grade. I was planning on using Core 300 for 10th/11th grade. Now I'm thinking I will probably still use Core 300 over 2 years, but with Donna Ward's 20th Century Canadian added on as well. I'm still in the planning stages now that this HS course has come into play.

Does anyone know if Donna Ward's 20th Century is a full year's study? Is there a schedule for this? I don't remember seeing one. I'll have to go back to the website to take a better look. I think I'm going to have to attend an out-of-town homeschool conference this year so that I can get a good look at it in person, iykwim ;)

What Geography curriculum of Donna's are you thinking about doing? Province to Province?

The 20th century history is a full year curriculum. I'm in NB and it actually matches up with our provincial G12 requirements, according to her website She has some other HS resources here There are samples of Canadian 20th Century History curriculum here

Halle

Oh, I had my plan set and then Sonlight send me this sneek peek email tonight setting out their overhaul of the upper cores! Hmmm, my plan might have gone out the window, depending on what I see online on April 1!

Halle

It is a good book :-)

This is my newly revised core plan:

G9 - Core 200

G10 - Core 300

G11 - Canadian History using Donna Ward's High School curriculum, Canadian Civics and SL Economics. Plus some of the literature from 530.

G12 - the new world history core

Halle

Funny, I've just been thinking about geography! I'm pondering over three books right now. Contact Canada, Geography for Christian Schools (as before, Tree of Life use this with their curriculum, so it feels like a "safe" book to me as in Universities are accepting it on their transcripts), the final option is Experience Canada: A Geography (ON schools use this text). I'm not sure which one to use. I'm also not sure whether to do Geography in grade 9 or 10.

I'm probably going to add some Canadian history to core 300 too. Probably use Canada A Peoples History DVDs plus some A Short History of Canada.

Halle

I'm still open to a change of plan, but my plan right now is to use Donna Ward instead of a Sonlight Core. I'll use SL economics and probably 530 literature on the side, but they are not complete cores. I would only buy the curriculum direct from her, readers and DVDs I'd source from much cheaper places, such as Amazon's used section.

Do you have a link for the ACE course?

I figure right now a rough goal for the next four years is the best thing. Then I can tweak it as needed the closer we come to each grade!

I have a plan, know where we are going, but it's not set in stone.

On a side note Christianbook.com are selling off their 1st edition of Apologia high school science books for $8.99 which includes the solutions/test book too. This beats the $60.99 for the second edition! I used a copy of the first edition of Gen. Science this year, along side the second edition study guide. With just two modules to go I've yet to come across any written changes in the book. I suspect they've just updated the cover and pictures within. Anyways, they have Gen. Science, Phy. Science, Biology and Physics all on for $8.99. Unfortunately Chemistry is sold out. Shipping to Canada for two books cost me just $7.

Halle

Geography for Christian Schools is also World Geography. It's by Bob Jones. Just another book to throw in there!

Halle

...When I first heard about this course and went online I will admit that I was VERY EXCITED about it :yahoo: Operative word here is "WAS". Let me explain. I went back to the Donna Ward booth multiple times btw each time coming back less convinced that this was the course I wanted to use. The website says that it's 40 weeks all scheduled out...that is only PARTIALLY true. On one of my many trips back to the table, I was able to handle the sample book for a longer period of time (less people ;) ). I was looking at the schedule and then noticed that at one point the weeks no longer were 'scheduled out' rather it gave suggestions as to how to schedule the remainder of the year...this was about week 16/18 (give or take). I was a little taken a back, and so I asked one of the women that was working at the booth about this because I thought maybe, just maybe I was mistaken. Her response was that, yes I was correct that the course was only partially scheduled. They were in a rush to 'get it out' that they decided to stop where they were. So I said, well the scheduling being done was one of the draws to this course because up until that point Donna Ward had scheduled not just the textbook readings, but the video clips to watch, the additional books to read, the websites to research etc. Well all of sudden I've got ALL that to schedule out beginning somewhere around Wk16/18 through to Wk 40. So I asked her if she thought it would be completely scheduled by the time I was considering it...which would have been 10th grade...she wasn't sure. Hmmmm....NOT impressed. On an aside, this woman I spoke to, who was OVER THE TOP amazing...was/is a SL customer and with one of her children she used Core 300...she would have loved something like Donna Ward's 20th Century Canadian, but it didn't exist at the time. That said, she too would have preferred Donna's course had all the scheduling been completed. All of that to say that I am still undecided about this course...mostly due to the scheduling. We will however be using Core 300 :D

Now I did look at Core 300 in person and I fell in love with it. After walking away from the Donna Ward booth disheartened ... I realized that Core 300 is 20th Century WORLD History which means Canadian IS included. SO it would NOT be difficult to add a Canadian text such as the one used in Tree of Life's course to flesh out/round out. That said, looking at Core 300 more closely it is VERY EASY to pick-out and flesh out the Canadian portions. Core 300 could/can very easily titled Canadian & US 20th Century History...it's called 20th Century World because of the very simply fact that our history as well as US's 20th Century history involved the world...they can not be separated ... WWII, the Cold War, the Veitnam War, etc. add in some 'extras' such as Trudeau's reign, the Referendum and you're on your way to a GREAT 20th Century journey. Core 300 has so much that you could count it as 2 years. Your world geography, btw, would be covered at the same time. And don't forget that you have those DVDs...which span to modern Canada.

ETA - if you do World Geography, you will by default be covering Canadian geography ;) Also, just something to think about...with the Canadian geography studies it is not just the physical geography but the economics etc. The woman at the Donna Ward booth said that you could even use their Canada, Province by Province book as your guide if you haven't done it yet. I asked because I had planned to use this book this year with both kids, but didn't. I really did NOT want to spend money on the text they had, expecially since the Province to Province book did say it could be used up to & including age 14yo. So when I asked her if I needed the other for 9th grade or could I just use what I had, she said if you have it and haven't used it yet by all means use it...there is A LOT in that book.

O.k. I'm going to stop now because this has gotten really long....sorry :D

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to type out this detailed information. Now, I'm replanning again! I really don't want to use a curriculum that is half planned. The weekly plan was my draw to this too ...... Ho-hum!

Edited by Halle

Halle
Will you be using Donna Ward's 20th Century Canadian this year? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Especially once you reach the 'having to schedule' the rest yourself. It'll be nice to know how hard it is...it seemed like too much for me at the time

No, I'm going to be using 200 in September. I was planning on using this in Grade 11, alongside Canadian Civics, SL Economics and 530 Literature. Perhaps instead I'll use A Short History of Canada and the DVDs? Not sure, got a while to think and re-tweak!

Halle

Oooooooooooooo, we're using Core 200 too this fall :D DD can hardly wait to start :giggle: I'm really excited about this core too :you:

ETA - just thought I'd add this little tidbit of info. I was initially worried how I'd manage to keep up so that DD and I could discuss things. When I was the SL booth, the rep told me that when she used this Core (and all subsequent high school cores) that she simply stayed 1 day ahead of whatever her son was reading. Well, I thought "I CAN do that!!!" Such a relief :D I'd heard about how so many preread the entire core before starting and I was thinking, "Yowza!!! There's NO WAY I can preread all those books" :blink: It was reassuring to hear that what I was considering doing someone had already accomplished successfully :yahoo: Just thought I'd share that little tidbit :D

That's a good idea, very manageable to keep on top of then. I'm looking forward to reading through these books (Like I have done with all cores so far!). My husband, who is a church pastor, is really impressed with the selection they've put into this core. I'm trying to work out how our school day will look next year with one in high school and one in middle school. I'm thinking, at least initially, that high school might require more of my time?

Halle

So my plan for grade 9 will include core 200 lit. (ds's choice) and Hakim with Hewitt's schedule and tests along with A Short History of Canada. For geography we're probably going to use Switched on Schoolhouse world geography - it looks thorough and he'll be able to do it independently. My younger kids will probably be doing D+E so I may just do Hakim with everyone. Aside from adding a civics book to SL civics, that makes all my Canadian tweaking done this year - the remainder of the highschool years we can just do Sonlight as written.

Sounds like a plan! Even if your youngest doesn't retain much from Hakim this time around, you know you'll repeat it with him in G9.

Halle

Any more ideas on Geography? I can't work out whether to do Canadian Geography for G9 and then World Geography for G10, or to do just World Geography in G9 and then be done with it. Technically speaking how much Geography do we have to do and does it have to be Canadian or does World count? Sometimes I feel like I know what is required etc. days like today though, I don't have a clue! I find myself going around in circles!

Halle

I'm really enjoying and grateful for this thread right now. I'm feeling so "not alone" iykwim :D

Yes, I agree :-)

RaineyJ

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I was reading Annie's information about Donna Ward's 20th century program. Great job noticing the scheduling issue Annie!!...I never even noticed that!! Anyway, I looked at it at our convention too, and decided not to use it either. I already purchased Core 300 and can tell already that it's going to be a very full course as it is without trying to add in all of Donna Ward's material. I want my son to get a Canadian perspective on the 20th century, but I don't want to overload him either. I'm really glad Annie brought up the point that 20th century history really is world history and Canada is included in it. That makes me feel less stressed about it. So, I 'm looking at a couple of other options. I happen to already own Canada: An Illustrated History by Derek Hayes and think I might just schedule it alongside Core 300 to give a Canadian perspective, without adding a TON of extra material. It's a very visual book, with lots of photographs, and to me it seems to have the same "feel" as the other spines in Core 300. I'm also looking at just adding the 20th century CBC Canada: A People's History DVD's. So far I'm leaning towards the Hayes book. When my kids were in their elementary years I always added some Canadian content to our Sonlight Cores (usually a Donna Ward book), and honestly, it was a lot of work for my kids. When my kids get to Core 100 we skip it and do a full year of Canadian studies instead, to give Canada our full attention for a year. My son did Core 200 this year and I'm really glad that we didn't add anything extra to it. At these upper grade levels there are so many other subjects that need our time too that I just can't spend a lot of extra time on history anymore. I had always planned to add a full Canadian component to our Core 300 year, but now that we are here I'm not so worried about it. We covered it fully in our Core 100 year. And, when we get to our Core 400 year we will do Canadian civics. I think we've covered Canada quite thoroughly, and comparably to the public schools around here. As far as geography goes, I'm treating it the same. We covered it in our elementary years (Donna Ward's Province to Province), and again in our "Core 100" year (with Canadian maps done Sonlight style). If I do add anything to Core 300 it will be one Canadian map and we will mark a few things on it as we go, Sonlight style. If you were an American using Sonlight for all of your Core's that's all you would be doing every year anyway. Sonlight doesn't have a full year Core covering "American Geography"...they only cover it in the context of World and American history. If you really want to do a major study and delve into Canadian landforms, ecozones, climate, resources and populations, then you will probably want to set aside an entire year to do so. If not then you can study it in context of World and Canadian history, like Sonlight does. I hope this helps somewhat. I know how agonizing it can be to make these decisions!

Halle

Thanks for sharing Rainey. I really value everyones perspective, it makes deciding easier :-)