ilovewhitewinters

Looking for Canadian history resources/readers... for elementary grades

ilovewhitewinters

Hello,

I think I may have initially posted this in the wrong forum as this seems like the proper fit. I asked a Sonlight advisor this question and they pointed me in this direction...

We use Sonlight for English and History and love their resources but as part of our requirements we need to have a Canadian (and Australian as we are currently living in Australia) component. Our children hold dual citizenships to these countries as we think it is important that they learn about their heritage and well as meet their educational requirements.

I love all the American stories that highlight specific times, stories, personalities and Godly character but they are almost exclusively American (we will study American history but need to add in the other). I would really love to incorporate this approach into our studies of Canada (and Australia if any one has any input there). We are looking into the D package for my Grade 4 daughter and I really like it but am wondering if their are any books comparable to those that are Canadian and that we can add to our program.

I have no idea where to start to find these motivational stories or even if they are out there from a Christian stand point or at least not overtly secular...

In my google searches I have come across these titles but found few good reviews on them .... Has anyone read the Dear Canada (or Dear America) or My Australia Story books...? Any other suggestions - am looking for motivational characters or stories of specific time periods/events that I can link to our Canadian/Australian history/geography studies. Or what other resources are used to teach Canadian history...

My children are Grade 4 (she's reading books at little above her level), 2, and 1 (looking at A and B for them).

Thank you,

Cherie

momtokea

Take a look at https://www.donnaward.net/index.php has some wonderful Canadian resources, historical fiction, etc.

My girls loved the Dear Canada books. I think Donna Ward has some unit studies on them.

My girls also loved the Our Canadian Girl books. http://www.ourcanadiangirl.ca

Right now I am going through this book with my ds: http://www.amazon.ca/Story-Canada-New-Revised-Edition/dp/1552631508

Edited by momtokea

ilovewhitewinters

Thank you very much! I will look into those! Very much appreciated! :)

KDBask

Hi Cherie,

Welcome to the forums! I have found that there is quite a bit of Canadian material put there. I wouldn't say that much of it stresses Christian character. Off the top of my head I can't think of any but if you give me a day or two I might remember something that is on my shelf.

The one thing that helped me the most was Modern History thru Canadian Eyes. It is basically a book that divides Canadian history into different time periods and recommends readings from different books that will teach about that time. It gives readings and chapter number from the Story of the World, Canadian History for Dummies, the Story of Canada, a Short History of Canada, and My First History of Canada. It gives additional reading ideas and some project ideas. It just was a really helpful resource. We only read one or two spine books that it recommended.

A few of our fiction favorites were Lost in the Barrens, Owls in the Family, Madeleine Takes Command, Pit Pony, Canadian Flyer Adventures, Dear Canada books, Barbara Smucker books, Hugh Brewster books, Anne of Green Gables, Janette Oke Canadian series, and others.

Protraits of Faith is sold bu HSLDA in Canada and discusses Christians throughout our history. On Youtube you mighht be able to find History Minutes which were commercials that showed some historical events.

Hope that helps.

ETA: The Kids Book of Canada series has some good info in an usborne type layout.

Edited by KDBask

ilovewhitewinters

These are excellent resources! Thank you so much!

WinSchool

I would highly recommend Donna Ward's Courage & Conquest curriculum . Its put together very nicely with a lot books easy to find at our local library. We've been watching the recommended scenes from CBC's A Peoples History and it has been fantastic.

any of her stuff is great but this is what we are using this year and all my kiddies are enjoying it. There are even timeline figures in the back of the book :)

• Like 1

wagingpeace

Hi,

We are doing the Core D 4-day program as is.

On day 5, we are reading through The Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada, a double-page spread each time. We will end before the "After Contact" section because that will be covered in the "Meeting of Cultures" section in The Kids Book of Canadian History, which we will start after Aboriginal Peoples. We will have enough weeks left to get us to around the War of 1812.

Also on Day 5, we are reading through The Kids Book of Canadian Geography starting with the regional ecosystems section on page 24, doing one page each time.

Day 5 is project day and so our hands-on activity will focus on the Canadian History or Geography theme. I have a wonderful au pair who is in charge of hands-on activities, like building totem poles and so on!

MissKris

We found tons of reader options In Heather Penner's Modern History through Canadian Eyes - her IG for Story of Canada. That and the files here. Heather did a great list from that book too. My shelves are overflowing.

• Like 1

featherhead

Next year we will likely take a break from Sonlight and learn about Canada. My girls will be 5 & 7. Would MHTCE be a good place to start for their ages as well?

MissKris

Next year we will likely take a break from Sonlight and learn about Canada. My girls will be 5 & 7. Would MHTCE be a good place to start for their ages as well?

Definitely. Readers of all ages there. Lots of great picture books.

And the resources listed here all help too.

There is a lot of common history with the US til the French/Indian - 7year War --- but handled differently.

MissKris

My First History of Canada is simpler than The Story of Canada for 5&7 year old.

Reads like SOTW.

featherhead

Definitely. Readers of all ages there. Lots of great picture books.

And the resources listed here all help too.

There is a lot of common history with the US til the French/Indian - 7year War --- but handled differently.

Great! I am a little apprehensive about planning my own core, so I plan to start early and give myself lots of time to plan.

featherhead

My First History of Canada is simpler than The Story of Canada for 5&7 year old.

Reads like SOTW.

Good to know, thanks!