Lifeon18Wheels

We are traveling to Canada next year

Lifeon18Wheels

Good evening. We've been using Sonlight for 3 years now but I've not been active on the forums for about a year and a half.

Our daughter is 9.5 and we are currently doing Core E. We plan on taking a road trip next June and I thought it would be great to insert a year in Canadian History. I have read the other posts and one listed Modern History thru Canadian Eyes and I've checked it out and it looks great. I'm curious if anyone else has used this book and purchased the supplemental resources. I have not used The Story of the World but have read many great reviews on these forums. I also saw the schedule that someone created and it looks great but I'd love to have some readers to add in. What do you think? Any suggestions?

We will be starting in Portland, OR then entering Canada thru Vancouver and crossing over into Alberta then probably back down thru Montana and across Idaho and Washington back to Portland. We aren't from Portland but it will be our starting point. Our travel dates will be the first week of June and I hope to find some great bird watching areas (parks) to visit for our daughter.

, Michelle

Bendxap

Welcome back!

I'm so envious of your trip! It'll be wonderful!

Lifeon18Wheels

My First History of Canada which is great for kids up to age 12yo ... here's a link to the book http://www.learningh...?ordernum=HR007 There are even discussion questions at the back of this book. I also own this book and it is the one we are currently using.

What an awesome resource! I love it, thanks!

Northern Breeze

You will have a great trip, I'm sure.  Do a little research on the railroad and see if you can incorporate some of that into your trip.  If you travel on the Trans-Canada highway you will likely go by Hell's Gate and be able to learn some history of the Chinese workers.     

In Vancouver there are many things to do but if you're from a big city already you probably have access to many things.  We often visit Sea World and Science World in Vancouver.  If you already have access to those kinds of attractions you may want to check out the Capilano Bridge.  There are a series of wooden suspension bridges through the forest - quite amazing, really.  In Vancouver you can walk all over the whole downtown area - from Canada Place & Gas Town to the other edge with Yaletown.  If you don't want to drive around downtown Vancouver (parking can be a pain), and depending on where you are staying while there, the Sky Train (public transit) is usually a good option.  However, in the summer if you are downtown there are free buses to Stanley Park and to Capilano Bridge.

Once you head into Alberta you will likely end up in/around Banff.  Banff is beautiful but we find it very touristy.  Kananaskis Country - just through Banff - is equally as beautiful.  If you do stop in Banff you can check out the Banff Springs Hotel (look up the history before going) and can go to Tunnel Mountain or the hot springs.  If you wish to take a detour (it would take a few days) you can drive the Ice Fields Parkway through Lake Louise and then head east through Rocky Mountain House or continue north to Jasper.  Both Jasper and Lake Louise have quite famous hotels similar to the one in Banff.  If you just go straight through Banff you will end up in Calgary.  I don't know Calgary as well but in July there is the famous Calgary Stampede.  A great attraction we've been to is Heritage Park and have taken a paddlewheel ride and gone on old fashioned fair ground rides.  Heritage Park shows the history of Calgary and early Alberta - possibly with some native activities but most definitely with early pioneer times.  

Driving south from Calgary back into the US you will go through Nanton - which has an old airplane that we have to always stop and see (my husband and kids could tell you exactly what airplane but I don't recall what it is right now).  Further south you will travel near Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.  You will also go to Fort McLeod - one of the early Canadian Forts which is certainly worth seeing.  There are also wind farms along the hills near Pincher Creek that I'm not sure if you can visit or not but can certainly see and discuss.  

I'd honestly not worry too much about reading all of the Canadian History but rather if it were me going on the trip I'd plan the route and figure out what there is along the way.  Then I'd do some research on those points of interest - Hell's Gate, the last spike, etc.  

Enjoy your trip!

Lifeon18Wheels

You will have a great trip, I'm sure. Do a little research on the railroad and see if you can incorporate some of that into your trip. If you travel on the Trans-Canada highway you will likely go by Hell's Gate and be able to learn some history of the Chinese workers.

In Vancouver there are many things to do but if you're from a big city already you probably have access to many things. We often visit Sea World and Science World in Vancouver. If you already have access to those kinds of attractions you may want to check out the Capilano Bridge. There are a series of wooden suspension bridges through the forest - quite amazing, really. In Vancouver you can walk all over the whole downtown area - from Canada Place & Gas Town to the other edge with Yaletown. If you don't want to drive around downtown Vancouver (parking can be a pain), and depending on where you are staying while there, the Sky Train (public transit) is usually a good option. However, in the summer if you are downtown there are free buses to Stanley Park and to Capilano Bridge.

Once you head into Alberta you will likely end up in/around Banff. Banff is beautiful but we find it very touristy. Kananaskis Country - just through Banff - is equally as beautiful. If you do stop in Banff you can check out the Banff Springs Hotel (look up the history before going) and can go to Tunnel Mountain or the hot springs. If you wish to take a detour (it would take a few days) you can drive the Ice Fields Parkway through Lake Louise and then head east through Rocky Mountain House or continue north to Jasper. Both Jasper and Lake Louise have quite famous hotels similar to the one in Banff. If you just go straight through Banff you will end up in Calgary. I don't know Calgary as well but in July there is the famous Calgary Stampede. A great attraction we've been to is Heritage Park and have taken a paddlewheel ride and gone on old fashioned fair ground rides. Heritage Park shows the history of Calgary and early Alberta - possibly with some native activities but most definitely with early pioneer times.

Driving south from Calgary back into the US you will go through Nanton - which has an old airplane that we have to always stop and see (my husband and kids could tell you exactly what airplane but I don't recall what it is right now). Further south you will travel near Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. You will also go to Fort McLeod - one of the early Canadian Forts which is certainly worth seeing. There are also wind farms along the hills near Pincher Creek that I'm not sure if you can visit or not but can certainly see and discuss.

I'd honestly not worry too much about reading all of the Canadian History but rather if it were me going on the trip I'd plan the route and figure out what there is along the way. Then I'd do some research on those points of interest - Hell's Gate, the last spike, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

Wow! What a great place to start! We thoroughly lived Lewis & Clark stuff in the US so I'll probably find some similar things for Canada and she'd love it. We have Labradoodle buddies that we'll be visiting in Vancouver and then somewhere north of Spokane, WA. One of our dogs came from a breeder in Kookanoosa (?) and that may be in the route. I love all the suggestions though. My mom will be with us and I'm sure she ll want to do something without the dogs. Thank you so much taking the time to give me all that fabulous info.

Northern Breeze

You're welcome.  British Columbia also had some pretty famous explorers - Simon Fraser, Cptn. Vancouver... you might be able to do some explorer type things.  Enjoy!

made4

Lots to see.

Edited by made4