mimosa

Which AH core would you pick if you could only choose one

mimosa

Did I ask this question already?

OK...

If you're Canadian, which is the best US History core is the best to take? You can do D and E, D+E and then there's Core 100 (I'm not counting 400)...and I still haven't figured out how to put Canadian content in the core, but I'm not sure it would not be as engaging as AH.

I have D+E and am working on getting everything else from D and from E, since we might need that for the younger kids.

If I start my grade 7 son (in Sept) with D+E, we might run into problems into the higher core and he might have to do World History in a combined core as well or do Core H in grade 10...and then we could decide on Core 100.

If I do Core F, then it'll probably be okay, but then he misses out on interesting North American History....on the other hand, we could decide on Core 100 later. Is it better to do the early core or the upper core?

I don't have Core F and I don't know if my funding will allow it if I don't use it, if it doesn't connect to the Education plan, so that's part of not being able to get it unless we plan to use it (but still a minor point). But from what I can see at this point, is that Core D+E looks so interesting, too interesting to miss.

Just so conflicted!! I wish my eldest could work through it quickly... :)

Another idea I had would be that I either read the the lower AH core more leisurely (read aloud) and do Core F or I could read the Core F books while doing Core D+E.

If my second son comes home, I would rather he does Core D+E because that's better designed for him. And he's a bit of a self-starter, so I could have both going at the same time even though I have younger kids in other cores...but it might be too much for me.

Which core did you like better, Core D/E (whatever combo) or Core F?

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

ME

ZooRho

I'm not Canadian, but one time I went through the AM history core and listed all the non "American" books. I would be sure to get all those for an older child.  Doing D+E.  

I would think that you wouldn't really want to do 100 with a Canadian child. I think it would depend on what the child would do after high school, would they end up in an American College?

Dcubed

We liked the D and E Cores better, but learned more in F because it's really the only time you do more than glance at non-western cultures.  How's that for a non answer? 

Hunny

Since you already have D+E, and you say it looks interesting, do that one.  You can do Core F the following year. 

Later you can get the Core D IG and missing books for the younger children to do, and then the Core E IG and missing books the following year.  Then repeat Core F.

Another way to figure it out is to learn about what your 7th grader needs for high school and work backwards. 

• Like 1