PEI Mom

If you could write a Canadian Core...?

PEI Mom

Imagine that Sonlight has hired you to create a book list for a new Canadian History/Cuture core.  What books would you include?  What would be your spine?  We could create a few different cores.  If we could could make several Canadian cores what would you include for...

1. preschool picture books

2. early elementary history and read-alouds

3older elementray

4. middle school

5. high school

I would include one of the "Canada is for Kids" CDs in preschool and one in early elementary.  I would include Anne of Green Gables and one or two more L.M. Montgomery books for older elementary.

• Like 1

arctic_bunny

Farley Mowat. I suppose Robert Munsch. Some of the Dear Canada books.

Those are my ideas off the top of my head. A spine is so hard!

inrigt

Word at convention last year was that the Sonlight Rep had created a Core D for Canadian History...I wonder if she would post it here for us to look at?  I didn't pay too much attention to it as we 'aren't there yet,' but was comforted that someone had done some of the work already  :)

• Like 1

momtokea

I don't have time to look right now but I know there is some good Canadian historical fiction available.  For the younger ages, girls especially, there is the Dear Canada (already mentioned above) and the Our Canadian Girl series.  There is also the Kite Flyer series (very simple but good).  There is another series for boys but the name escapes me right now.

For a spine, I have used The Story of Canada.

I would look through Donna Ward's site.  She offers the best selection of Canadian historical fiction for all ages.  We have also used many picture books that she sells.

• Like 2

hrathech

For late elementary, or maybe early middle school, I would start with "The Story of Canada" (Lunn) as a main spine. Read alongside it "Canada, An Illustrated History" (ISBN 9781553652595) by Derek Hayes. Similar material as Lunn's, but more detail and some great pictures. Also, "The Spirit of Canada" (ISBN 07737620000) by Barbara Hehner (ed.). It's a collection of legends, fiction, poems and songs. Also, to supplement, "Discovering Canada's Government" (ISBN 0195416295) for a fairly good take on elections and government. The last one, put out by the government of Canada, called "Symbols of Canada" (ISBN 0660186152) for information on flags, flowers, etc. And then....lots and lots and lots of historical novels. 

• Like 2

hrathech

Here is an old list of books we used with Janet Lunn's "The Story of Canada", based on her chapters: 

Chapter 1: A Hundred Centuries Readaloud: Nkwala by Edith Lambert Sharp Readers: The Kid's Book of Aboriginal Peoples, Life in a Longhouse Village, The Inuksuk Book, Blood Red Ochre, Sweetgrass, The Whale People, Raven's Cry, Once More Upon a Totem

Chapter 2: Strangers on the Coast Readaloud: The Dream Carvers, by J. Clark Readers: The Kids Book of Canadian Exploration, Strange Footprints on the Land:Vikings in America, Man from St. Malo;the Story of Jacques Cartier, And Tomorrow the Stars:the story of John Cabot, Fur and Gold, The Story of Champlain;the First Canadian, Mutiny in the Bay, Lief the Lucky, Viking Quest

Chapter 3: Habitants and Voyageurs Readaloud: The Winter People, by J. Bruschac, AND With Wolfe in Quebec;The Winning of a Continent by G.A. Henty Readers: The Dangerous Cove, The Last of the Mohicans, The Hiding Place (by L. Cook), Tonty of the Iron Hand, The Wapiti, Sister to the Wolf, Banished from Our Home, (The Meeting Place, The Sacred Shore, The Beloved Land), A Land Divided, The Hand of Robin Squires, Flight from the Fortress, Battle for the Rock, Isobel Gunn, Medicine Maid, Redcoat Sailor, Raiders of the Mohawk, (Circle of Silver, By the Standing Stone, Under a Shooting Star), The King's Daughter, Calico Captive, Terra Incognita This was arguably our favourite unit; we took a trip to Quebec City for Dd's birthday while we were immersed in it, stayed at the Historic Chateau Frontenac, walked the Plains of Abraham...read, as you can see, piles and piles of books. It was wonderful. Chapter 4: The Colonists Readaloud: The Backwoods of Canada by Catherine Parr-Trail Readers: On Loyalist Trails, Honor Bound, Flight, The Hungry Year, The Perilous Year, Tecumseh, A River Apart, Laura's Choice, Bully Boys, Jeremy's War, The Good Soldier, The Rowboat War, The Kid's Book of Canadian Immigration, Island of Hope and Sorrow, Roughing it in the Bush (Susanna Moodie), Meyer's Creek, Fire Ship, The Belonging Place, (The Root Cellar, Shadow in Hawthorn Bay, The Hollow Tree), The Quarter Pie Window, the Sign of the Scales, The Shangymen of Cache Lake.

Chapter 5: The Great Northwest Readaloud: Willa's New World by Barbara Demers Readers: The Kid's Book of the Far North, Trader of the North, With Pipe Paddle and Song, Fur Trader, Coppermine Journey, Footsteps in the Snow, Mystery in the Frozen Lands, The True North (TC Fairley), Arctic Assignment. 

Chapter 6: Mountains and Oceans Readaloud: A Trail of Broken Dreams (Dear Canada Series) Readers: From Sea to Sea:Alexander MacKenzie, Bruckskin Brigadier, Captain of Discovery, The Farthest Shores, The Map-Maker, The Savage River:Seventy-one Days with Simon Fraser, The Blonde Voyageur, The Bold Heart, The Doll (C.Taylor), The Great Chief:Maskepetoon, Tell Me Grandmother, (The Canadian West Saga by J. Oke, 3 books), Incident at Hawk's Hill, Return to Hawk's Hill, Five Pennies:A Prairier Boy's Story

Chapter 7: Confederation Days Readaloud: Factory Girl by Barbara Greenwood (lots of good Canadian books by this author!) AND Stone Orchard by S.E. Merrit Readers: Confederation; the Dreadful Truth, Days of Toil and Tears, The Kid's Book of Black Canadians, The Last Safe House, If I just Had Two Wings, Battle cry at Batoche, Bugles in the Hills, The Boy With an R in His Hand, A Ribbon of Shining Steel, The Kid's Book of Canada's Railway, The Kid's Book of Canadian Prime Ministers, Brady (J.Fritz), Dark of the Moon, Spy in the Shadows.

Chapter 8: Sunny Ways Readaloud: Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (brilliant book, hilariously funny, we loved this one!) Readers: Down the Yukon, Stampede North, Gold Rush Fever, Josepha;A Prairie Boy's Story, Onboard the Titanic, Promise Song, Flower, Living Freight, Mary Manaway;The Legacy of a Homechild, Orphan at My Door, The Mountain that Walked, Pit Pony, Jason's Gold.

Chapter 9: Stormy Times Readaloud: Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery (and if Leacock made us laugh, this is the one that made us cry. Excellent book) AND Who Has Seen the Wind? by W.O. Mitchell Readers: Brothers Far From Home, No Safe Harbour, The Kids Book of Canadians at War, Days of Terror, Knights of the Air, As for Me and My House, A Bird in the House, Breakaway, Butter Down the Well:Reflections of a Canadian Childhood, Winged Watchman, Tell No One Who You Are, Explosion at Dawson Creek, The Old Brown Suitcase;A Teenager's Story of War and Peace, Listen for the Singing, Irish Chain, Flying Geese, The Jade Peony, Naomi's Road (or Obasan-adult version of Naomi's Road), the Margaret Trilogy by B.T. Hunter.

Chapter 10: The Flying Years Readaloud: Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat Readers: Angel Square, White Wave, One Proud Summer, Starbuck Valley Winter, Last Days in Africville, The Hockey Sweater and Other Stories, Black Joke, A Handful of Time, My Name is Seepeetza, Ravensong;a Novel, The Night Hazel Came to Town, Charlie Wilcox's Great War, Terry Fox;His Story.

And there you have it. As I was typing these out, I wanted to write down so many other books that I know are really good. There is a huge wealth of great Canadian historical fiction, and I had to pick only what I thought would be great for my dd. But if nothing else, this exercise opened my eyes to the treasure out there. I hope this is helpful. It's obviously not a well organized core; I don't have the vocab and study questions and writing assignments that Sonlight comes up with. But it was a rich time of reading and learning.

• Like 4

mimosa

WOW!

That's impressive.

ME

afterhisheart

We used My First History of Canada by Donalda Dickie and Kids Book of Canadian History by Carlotta Hacker alongside Courage and Conquest by Donna Ward. Donna lists many resources for each topic and I matched up the corresponding chapters in My First History. I made timeline figures for the major historical figures and events and pasted them in our SL timeline figure book.

Another great resource was Great Canadian Lives by Karen Ford, now out of print but last I looked it was available online in pdf.

Also, Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada

Some fiction we read:

Indian Captive

Lost in the Barrens

Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky (Schiller)

The Broken Blade

Dear Canada: Death of My Country

Dear Canada: With Nothing but our Courage

The Bully Boys

Dear Canada: Footsteps in the Snow

Gold Rush Fever (Greenwood)

Ticket to Curlew

Paddle to the Sea

Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang

Anne of Green Gables, abridged (Greenwood)

Owls in the Family

We did this in grade 4.

lighthearted

I am following this for my second and third group coming up the ranks in Sonlight here. I saw something here about someone who had plugged more Canadian content into one of the American cores. It was even laid out so that instead of reading aloud the American book, there was a Canadian suggestion. I have been wanting to find that listing for a couple of years now but it's hiding again!

86Sparrow

I'm speaking to hrathech specifically I hope you can see this (not sure how to reply to your specific post) First of all thank you that's super helpful, secondly it is slightly overwhelming...would you have some sort of schedule that you went by?  Did you do like one chapter in the book per week followed by the other resources or how did that work?  Hope that makes sense!  Thank you!

86Sparrow

Also, to hrathech as well, where did you get the books you mentioned?

hrathech

Hi! Well, I did have kind of a rough schedule. This core took either 28 or 30 weeks, I can't quite remember, but that would be about 3 weeks per chapter in the Lunn book. Chapter 3 took a lot longer because we took a family trip to Quebec City and toured the area, reading some of the books as we went.

I had taken the chapters in the Lunn book and read them aloud, and then found corresponding sections of the Hayes book to read aloud. If there were appropriate parts from "The Spirit of Canada", whether it was a poem or a song or a vignette of some kind, then we would read those. My daughter also had to learn the content in the Government and Symbols book, and there were a couple quizzes on some of that material.

As for the huge list of books, I have a very, very avid reader. I would say that she read most, but probably not all, of the books. For each chapter in the Lunn book, we did one or two or maybe even three (for shorter books) as readalouds; I think, if you look at each chapter above, the first book on each list is marked as "read aloud."  The rest, she read on her own time. You could still do this core, and not read nearly as many books, and it would still be pretty wonderful.

And since we live in Canada, it was fairly easy to get all of these books in the library system here. We bought the spines (Lunn, Hayes, Spirit of Canada, and the Government and Symbols books), but all the historical novels, we got from the library. 

It was a very, very rich and full core. 

• Like 2

86Sparrow

Thank you soooo much that was very helpful!!!

• Like 1

mommybarber

I have purchased the Core D American History Year 1 of 2 for my grade 3-er. I have adapted the schedule completely so we will stretch the Core as written over 2 full school years. Therefore, we are reading everything at half the speed. For Grade 3 I am just doing a quick overview of the history of Canada (thankfully it's short  ;); and I have some great looking colourful books to accompany it:  A Kids Book of Canadian History, A Kids Book of Canadian Exploration, and A Kids Book of the Canadian Railway. We will go through these books systematically, very similar to the way Sonlight lays out any other history/geography selection. We will also do some geography and highlight British Columbia as that's where we are from. Next year, when we do the second half of the Core D, I will touch more on Canadian government and plug in some more Canadian novels. But this year my grade 3er will read the abridged version of Anne of Green Gables, and she will also read various "Canadian Flyer" books which she already loves! Splitting the Core into 2 years also frees me up to read aloud some of the Core A & B material to my Grade 1 and Kindergarten student as I know they won't listen to every Core D book.

• Like 1

storybookmum

It all sounds very familiar, doesn't it, Dee?  

And I'm about to have another crack at it with Meredith now as she starts Grade 8....

• Like 1

wagingpeace

Hi, I was just thinking about this. We will be doing Canadian history the year my girls are 12 and 13, respectively. The Ontario Grade 7 and 8 curriculum breaks Canadian history into 6 time periods, three for each year. They are New France, British North America, Conflict and Change, Confederation, Development of Western Canada, and Canada: a changing society (up to but not including the start of WWI).

So what I was thinking was to divide the year into 6 segments and have them read the appropriate readers at their own pace, and do research on the internet to create a "Time Traveller" book, similar to the one that is in Core B. They would do several pages of pictures and maps along with captions, choosing a typical family to focus on during each time period. The book would end up with 6 sections, and maybe 6 pages per section. It would be a really nice way for them to present what they learned.

These are the historical fiction books I would probably make available (sorry, I didn't include authors):

New France:

Dear Canada: Alone in an Untamed Land

Dear Canada: The Death of My Country

Dear Canada: Winter of Peril

Evangeline

British North America:

Escape, Adventures of a Loyalist Family

Beginning Again, Further Adventures of a Loyalist Family

On Loyalist Trails

The Hollow Tree

Conflict and Change:

The Other Elizabeth

Son of the Hounds

Dear Canada: Blood Upon our Land

The Boy with the R in his Hand

First Lady of Upper Canada

The Root Cellar

Confederation:

Dear Canada: A Country of our Own

Man in the Shadows

Development of Western Canada:

Dear Canada: Where the River Takes Me

Young Mac at Fort Vancouver

I am Canada: Blood and Iron

The Men in Sheepskin Coats

A Prairie Nightmare

The Railway Pathfinder

Steel across the Plains

The Doll

When Calls the Heart

Storm Child

A Changing Society:

Trouble at Lachine Mill

Harbour Thieves

Shantymen of Cache Lake

The Last Voyage of the Scotian

First Spring on the Grand Banks

Rainbow Valley

Home Child

I got most of the ideas for books from http://thecanadianhomeschooler.com/canadian-history-through-living-books/

Of course, I would also add Canadian literature. Some of this historical fiction is not great literature, though some of it is.

• Like 1

mimosa

I am thinking about doing this. I'll probably be spending time working this out over the next year or so...maybe Asher's grade 8 or 9 year...so I have time to build one. Just in the consideration stage. But all the help I can get will be appreciated.

But I want to slowly going to work through all the posts and try to collect on the information shared so that I can find and get all the resources required to make a Canadian Core. This might be a lot of work. LOL.

ME

Edited by mimosa

Lthrbth

I am just starting to looking into doing one semester of Canadian history. We will be finishing up Core C by December of this year, and I don't think my youngest (2nd grade) will be quite ready to jump into Core D. So I think it's a good time to fit it in. We live in Minnesota but my Dad is Canadian, as are many of my relatives - including 2 SILs and one BIL. So it's pretty relevant for us - not to mention I never really learned CA history myself and would love to!

I'm a little overwhelmed at putting together a core on my own though. So thankful for this section of the forum, I will start bookmarking websites soon here. My two oldest kids will be in 4th and 2nd grades, and we will have from Jan-May to study CA history. I mostly just want a good overview and some great read-alouds.