Sign in to follow this  
featherhead

I found a cool old book!

featherhead

So I was looking through my parents books this morning, and I found one that I think will prove to be quite interesting! It's called Famous Canadian Stories: The Romance of Discovery, Exploration and Development. I'm looking forward to reading through it and seeing if it will be useful. It was published in 1931.

• Like 2

783family

Awesome!!! I love old books! I love the language and...hmmm...world view, I guess. Here are my favorites:

Maxwell's school composition 1900's

Maxwell's writing in English 1900's

Background of the Bible- booth 1930's

Record of America- adams 1930's

Would you post again once you've read it and let us know your thoughts?

783family

Awesome!!! I love old books! I love the language and...hmmm...world view, I guess. Here are my favorites:

Sorry- should have included that I am a bit obsessed with Canada, hence the interest!

• Like 1

featherhead

Sure! So far it looks pretty cool. I am not a history buff at all, so I won't be able to say whether or not the information is accurate. I read the first little chapter on the Vikings, and it was neat. Definitely stuff I never learned in school!

featherhead

post-88089-0-17723300-1396733425_thumb.jpgpost-88089-0-75669800-1396733475_thumb.jpg

I hope this works. The first is one page of the table of contents, and the second is part of the first chapter.

Dcubed

Just for fun, there was at least one Canadian children's magazine back in the 1800s. Back home, I have a bound copy of one year. I *think* it was called Snowdrop, but it's 6,000 miles away in a box. I do remember reading it and liking it. Lots of beautiful engravings, short stories, puzzles and stuff. I can't remember if it had serial stories that were so common at the time. I think my volume was from the 1880s.

(I collect English-language children's books, magazines, tracts... printed before 1900, so that is why I have it).

featherhead

Here is the rest of the table of contents,

post-88089-0-04387400-1396733640_thumb.jpgpost-88089-0-79812000-1396733704_thumb.jpg

featherhead

Just for fun, there was at least one Canadian children's magazine back in the 1800s. Back home, I have a bound copy of one year. I *think* it was called Snowdrop, but it's 6,000 miles away in a box. I do remember reading it and liking it. Lots of beautiful engravings, short stories, puzzles and stuff. I can't remember if it had serial stories that were so common at the time. I think my volume was from the 1880s.

(I collect English-language children's books, magazines, tracts... printed before 1900, so that is why I have it).

Very cool!

2Cor8:9

This looks AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing & just "giddy" for you!!! :)

• Like 1

afterhisheart

Watch out for less than favourable views about Aboriginal peoples and Louis Riel. I have an edited version (edited by George Tait, copyright 1953) of this book. Much of the racist language has been removed, but not all.

featherhead

Watch out for less than favourable views about Aboriginal peoples and Louis Riel. I have an edited version (edited by George Tait, copyright 1953) of this book. Much of the racist language has been removed, but not all.

Thanks for the warning!

Sign in to follow this