RdeJonge

Any British Columbian (or Canadian) Sonlighters?

RdeJonge

Is there anybody from British Columbia (or Canada) who has used Core B? How did you find the material lined up with the PLO's (Provincial Learning Outcomes)? 

mommybarber

Hi there, we are enrolled homeschoolers with Heritage Christian Online School in Kelowna, living in Madagascar, and we used Core B as our main curriculum choice, and we also used Science B, and Horizons Math 1. There was no problem at all fulfilling the provincial PLO's. We have continued to use Sonlight through Grade 2 and now starting Grade 3 because I love how it's so comprehensive, well-laid out, and requires very little prep-work from me. We definitely DO NOT read every single book in the schedule, however we do read many of them. 

mimosa

Hi, I'm in AB, but I think that PLOs are a BC thing. I don't teach to provincial outcomes since I am considered a traditional homeschooler, which means I get less funding but I can do what I want.

ME

Kel & the kids

Hi!

We're in BC, also with Heritage, whose philosophy is very HS friendly in that they try to take what you want to do and make it work. We have had no trouble using SL for the last 10(!) years although I have added in Canadian content (mapbooks, readers, history etc.) every year).  

My understanding is that you have a 3 year window to complete the PLO's for each grade which means that you will have ample opportunity no matter which curriculum you use.  I don't know the ages of your children but many PLO's overlap for grades and in fact K and Grade 1 are exactly the same!

RdeJonge

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm with Regent and my HLST was happy with what I did for Kindergarten, but she did have me supplement a few things for Socials.  She did tell me that some of my science from Core A could be carried over to fulfill some Grade 1 PLOs. 

We're officially finished (although we'll be doing just a little bit in summer to keep things fresh) and we loved Core A! I have all my Core B books in a box upstairs and it looks great so far! See you all in September!

Kdemoline

We are just starting with Regent.  I'm doing core P4/5 for kindergarten and the only that I will need to add is "Apple Press Primary Map book'.  Will you need to add much for grade 1?

Northern Breeze

We've used Sonlight all the way through school from K-12.  We also covered all the PLOs and two of mine have graduated with their BC Diploma.  We looked at Sonlight as a base for our learning but then supplemented or took things out as needed.  For example, Core D works well for grade 4 but we added Canadian content as we read through the Core books.  We are now doing Core 200 in grade 10 but using it more for English 10 and Christian Studies 10 than for history.  We, too, are with Heritage Christian Online School.  And… as a teacher with the school I actually encourage parents to look at Sonlight to see if it would fit their style of teaching/learning.  Most teachers are flexible and can make most of Sonlight work to meet PLOs.