kduverna

Canadian Flyer Adventures

kduverna

Anyone use these as part of their Canadian History program? Saw these online yesterday and they seem to be pretty good as read-alouds or readers to compliment and enforce Canadian history study. I am thinking of buying them for my 3rd and 4th grader to use that way as well as the following books as well:

• The Kids Book of Canada
  • The Kids Book of Canada's Railway
  • The Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada
  • The Kids Book of Canadian History
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Exploration
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Geography
  • The Kids Book of Great Canadians
  • The Kids Book of the Far North
  • The Kids Book of Great Canadian Women
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Prime Ministers
  • The Kids Book of Canada at War
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Immigration
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Firsts

Any thoughts? I think I can do 2 or 3 "The Kids Book of" books in a year and then read the Flyer books as readers/read-alongs.

• Like 1

Indian summer

We've used a few of the books you've mentioned. Canadian flyer books are similar in size, reading level and style as magic treehouse books. They are a cute intro to Canadian history.

Watch the scholastic flyers for the kids book(s) of... They usually offer a couple each year for very good prices. (around $4.99, iirc which is a huge savings over their regular prices (? $18 ?))

kduverna

thanks for the scholastic flyers tip - I'll have to check that out.

happyhomeschooler

Anyone use these as part of their Canadian History program? Saw these online yesterday and they seem to be pretty good as read-alouds or readers to compliment and enforce Canadian history study. I am thinking of buying them for my 3rd and 4th grader to use that way as well as the following books as well:

• The Kids Book of Canada
  • The Kids Book of Canada's Railway
  • The Kids Book of Aboriginal Peoples in Canada
  • The Kids Book of Canadian History
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Exploration
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Geography
  • The Kids Book of Great Canadians
  • The Kids Book of the Far North
  • The Kids Book of Great Canadian Women
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Prime Ministers
  • The Kids Book of Canada at War
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Immigration
  • The Kids Book of Canadian Firsts

Any thoughts? I think I can do 2 or 3 "The Kids Book of" books in a year and then read the Flyer books as readers/read-alongs.

Own all of them and use all of them :D  That said, we don't use them all at once and at the same time.  Sometimes we may read a little from one or two of them at the same time.  I use Modern History Through Canadian Eyes to help schedule them into Cores D and E as we do Cnd/US history parallel to each other.  This also means that we DO NOT complete these Cores in a year.  For example when I first used these Cores with Dd (our oldest) she did both Cores with Cnd Content over 1.5 yrs.  With ds we are doing these Cores over 2 years.  Actually a little less than 2 years...we'll be finished this Core March/April and plan to focus the remainder of our year on whatever other subjects we're doing starting Core W in the fall of next year instead.

We don't have the Canadian Flyers books.  We do have the I AM CANADA series for our ds which he reads on his own timetable.  I don't schedule these, but I do keep a log of any extra books he reads :)

Edited by happyhomeschooler