mcyen

Core D (American History) - what do I do as a Canadian?

mcyen

I have read through many of the posts here on incorporating Canadian history, but I am uncertain what I should do! I will be finishing Core C with two of my children in the spring, and I really love having everything laid out for me. However, seeing as Core D (and E) is American History, I am not sure how to proceed in the fall. Has anyone just used Core D and added or removed books/elements? Is that too confusing? I am not a history buff, so I'm not confident in just winging it! I need resources. I would love some insight into what I could do that would be straightforward and include Canadian history, but also include wonderful read alouds since we enjoy that way of learning. I'd love some help as I think about next year!

Thanks in advance!

MC

happyhomeschooler

I have used Core D (twice) doing Canadian History parallel to it.  I am doing Core E this year for the 2nd time doing exactly the same thing.  I can PM you more details later, but it's not as complicated as it seems.  Streamlining is key ... also much of the beginning of Core D is also Cnd.  For example Christopher Columbus is taught not only as part of US history in the US, but as part of Canadian History in Canada because it's about discovering North America ... also, Vikings, Aboriginals if you're Canadian & Indians if you're American ... so some things you will NOT have to duplicate ... really :)

There are threads here with lists of resources upon resources if you do a search.  Keep in mind that some are VERY LONG ... again stream lining is key to not feeling overwhelmed.  Again, I can PM you later with more details if you like. 

ETA - how old are your children?

Edited by happyhomeschooler
  • Like 2

mcyen

Thank you happyhomeschooler! That is really helpful. My kids who will be moving on from Core C will be 8 and 9 in the fall (grades 3 and 4), and I have one who will be in grade 1, but will not be following along with Core D. You make it sound easier than I thought it would be :) I would love if you could PM me what you've found helpful, or what additional titles you would suggest. I am happy to stretch out Core D longer than a year if need be.

Thanks!

MC

• Like 1

Stringybark Sarah

We are not Canadian, but Australian. We did much of the Core as written. It's interesting. We skipped things we thought were not relevant (things relating to the constitution, and singing patriotic songs for example), and we did add in some Australian things, here and during other cores. So the gold rush era got coverage from an Aus perspective too, for example.

• Like 2

happyhomeschooler

Thank you happyhomeschooler! That is really helpful. My kids who will be moving on from Core C will be 8 and 9 in the fall (grades 3 and 4), and I have one who will be in grade 1, but will not be following along with Core D. You make it sound easier than I thought it would be :) I would love if you could PM me what you've found helpful, or what additional titles you would suggest. I am happy to stretch out Core D longer than a year if need be.

Thanks!

MC

Sorry, I din't see this earlier.  I'll pull somethings together and PM you.  Noting the ages of your kids in the fall, I would definitely recommend taking your time through both Cores D and E :)  Add in some field trips, and hands-on related activities (they don't have to be complicated ;) ) and you'll ALL enjoy this journey.

We are not Canadian, but Australian. We did much of the Core as written. It's interesting. We skipped things we thought were not relevant (things relating to the constitution, and singing patriotic songs for example), and we did add in some Australian things, here and during other cores. So the gold rush era got coverage from an Aus perspective too, for example.

Yes, I found this to be true for us as well with Core D.

• Like 1

mimosa

Because we're Canadian, I thought it would be better to do Core D+E with my boys, 10 and 12. I think that I should have done Core D anyway, and tried to incorporate Canadian history. But, while I am doing an out-of-the-box thing, I can't always think outside the box logistically. Annie, maybe you better send it to me too!! I do have most of the books for both cores, and just reading the other casually and as slow or fast paced as we want to since I like extra books anyway. I recently cut out the history portion of the core to just focus on read alouds and readers, because my 10 year old isn't interested or getting it very well.  He's who I'm teaching as per the schedule, because my eldest has a longer attention span and could listen to the same book for hours.

I do have some Canadian resources that I wanted to incorporate, but how is my issue.

ME

• Like 2

happyhomeschooler

Because we're Canadian, I thought it would be better to do Core D+E with my boys, 10 and 12. I think that I should have done Core D anyway, and tried to incorporate Canadian history. But, while I am doing an out-of-the-box thing, I can't always think outside the box logistically. Annie, maybe you better send it to me too!! I do have most of the books for both cores, and just reading the other casually and as slow or fast paced as we want to since I like extra books anyway. I recently cut out the history portion of the core to just focus on read alouds and readers, because my 10 year old isn't interested or getting it very well.  He's who I'm teaching as per the schedule, because my eldest has a longer attention span and could listen to the same book for hours.

I do have some Canadian resources that I wanted to incorporate, but how is my issue.

ME

Morning,

Just read your post.  I don't mind sending it to you as well.  I am leaving very shortly for the court house ... you'd you believe I've been called for Jury Selection :O  Yep!!!  Could be there all day.

Anyway, I will PM both of you in a group message and begin to flesh it out for you both.  There are A LOT of add-ins that can be used and it's REALLY IMPORTANT to streamline or you can very easily get bogged down.  I'll elaborate in the PM...right now I need to finish my coffee and get dressed. Leaving in 20 minutes.  Connect with both of you soon :bye:

catholicmommy

I'm going to start core d next year too and we are starting the year out with a cross canada trip in September. So fun!! I think we are going to do D and then E as well. I would love a peak at the way you did it too!

• Like 1

proverbs31woman

Has anyone looked into Donna Ward for Canadian History? She has 2 history packages as far as I can remember- There is "Courage and Conquest" I was considering doing the all inclusive bundle when I get there, and  there is also "Canada in the Twentieth Century a high school course." 

www.donnaward.net

Clutz

Hello,

Well..I am definitely in the same boat and would love input. I started a new thread of possibly stretching out the condensed Core D&E into 3 years and I have a long post on my plan there...some of you have inspired me to rethink it and possibly do a stretched out 3 year plan with D and E separately, so 1.5 years each.  I have posted my reasons for stretching it out as it works for our family.  Maybe some of you can take a moment to hop over the other thread and give me some of your valuable insight and wisdom!! I have a baby due in a few weeks and was hoping to order all my material before March 31st.  Thanks kindly!!

Clutz

Sorry, I din't see this earlier.  I'll pull somethings together and PM you.  Noting the ages of your kids in the fall, I would definitely recommend taking your time through both Cores D and E :)  Add in some field trips, and hands-on related activities (they don't have to be complicated ;) ) and you'll ALL enjoy this journey.

Can you PM to me also? Please and thanks! I'm now reviewing what it will look like to do the D and E separately but on a real paced schedule.

wholeheartedmom

Annie, can you PM me as well?  

thx!

• Like 1

Renu

Happy Homeschooler, can you pm me the Canadian content for D & E as well please?  Thanks alot!

• Like 1

happyhomeschooler

Annie, can you PM me as well?  

thx!

Happy Homeschooler, can you pm me the Canadian content for D & E as well please?  Thanks alot!

Hi!  Just saw this now.  I will include you both in the PM that I send out to the others.  I've already contacted them to say that there would be a delay as I'm currently undergoing medical treatment, have upcoming tests and on the 28th of this month I will find out if surgery is required. 

Just wanted to let you know what's going on :D

Thanks everyone for your patience :)

Mrswiensie

We are heading into week 25 of Core D and it has been another great Sonlight year!  After perusing this forum last year at this time, I just took some of the schedules and resources other people had already created and incorporated it quite easily into our IG.  Basically, I started by using only the 4-day schedule, then whiting out a handful of books that looked somewhat repetitive.  I bought a variety of Canadian read alouds from the Donna Ward site, covering the Core time period, and scheduled them in at a co-ordinating time.  It has worked wonderfully and I feel like we've gotten a pretty good overview of Canadian/American history as it really is all interconnected.  I think in the end we've been able to read most of the read alouds PLUS our Canadian extras, as the novels are so great that we often have two on the go at once.  It's been fun to discuss the different points of view like the rebels and the loyalists, and how both of our countries were shaped by these events.

We will continue this for Core E, which actually may be a bit more work than this year considering the countries start to take shape and diverge even more.  I'm really happy with the decision to do both versions of history at the same time though, and only in one year versus stretching it too far.  I think there could be some overkill and our philosophy is to keep cycling through history peeling back layers each time as opposed to an exhaustive approach that can go on seemingly forever.

• Like 3

proverbs31woman

We are heading into week 25 of Core D and it has been another great Sonlight year!  After perusing this forum last year at this time, I just took some of the schedules and resources other people had already created and incorporated it quite easily into our IG.  Basically, I started by using only the 4-day schedule, then whiting out a handful of books that looked somewhat repetitive.  I bought a variety of Canadian read alouds from the Donna Ward site, covering the Core time period, and scheduled them in at a co-ordinating time.  It has worked wonderfully and I feel like we've gotten a pretty good overview of Canadian/American history as it really is all interconnected.  I think in the end we've been able to read most of the read alouds PLUS our Canadian extras, as the novels are so great that we often have two on the go at once.  It's been fun to discuss the different points of view like the rebels and the loyalists, and how both of our countries were shaped by these events.

We will continue this for Core E, which actually may be a bit more work than this year considering the countries start to take shape and diverge even more.  I'm really happy with the decision to do both versions of history at the same time though, and only in one year versus stretching it too far.  I think there could be some overkill and our philosophy is to keep cycling through history peeling back layers each time as opposed to an exhaustive approach that can go on seemingly forever.

I would love to know which books you used from Donna Ward and where you slotted them in. 

Thank  you :)

happyhomeschooler

I would love to know which books you used from Donna Ward and where you slotted them in. 

Thank  you :)

Many of the books on the Donna Ward site can be purchased anywhere and many are in your local library.  Some titles are already scheduled in both Cores D and E.

• Like 1

Mrswiensie

I haven't been online for a while, but now that we're done school I'm surfing again!

Here's a few of the Canadian books we used:

My First History of Canada as a spine throughout the year (schedule available on this forum if you search)

Canada a People's History DVDs throughout the year

Blessed Marie of New France (week 1-6)

-although this is more of a religion book (not Donna Ward), it gave great insight into the origins of faith in Canada and the different Catholic perspective in New France vs New England.  This is a very important element of history that cannot be ignored as we compare the history of Quebec to the American colonies.  So interesting!!

Paddle to the Sea 

-not a history book, but more geography that helped us Westerners and my younger kids visualize some of these places

Madeline in Command (weeks 8-10)

Fr. Marquette and the Great Rivers (week 9-13)

-another religion book scheduled in that was a great geography lesson.  These books really made an impact on us in how New France differed from New England and the race to explore the continent.  

Escape:  Adventures of a Loyalist Family (week 23-25)

A River Apart:  (week 26-28)

Bully Boys:  (week 29-32)

I had considered several other books, but in the interest of time and a full house renovation this was all we got to.  I started a few others but my boys found the romance a bit heavy so they were scrapped for my daughter when she comes around to Core D, which I'm sure she'll appreciate. 

Other ideas:

The King's Daughter

The Broken Blade

Wintering

With Wolfe in Canada (doing this in summer)

I also did not schedule in Canadian readers for the kids, as there were so many great readers in Core D.  I am currently working on a summer reading schedule of Canadian Readers recommended in such books as Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest.  Each boy will have several to complete over the next three months giving them more personal insight into Canadiana as we prepare for Core D.  

Next year we are not moving and renovating and I'm starting to work on the core E plan...it should be much more organized an complete!

mimosa

Hi there, Annie, I hope that you have been doing well medically. I haven't been on for a lot time. I'm still interested in the PM that you hoped to send to everyone who have asked. I've been wondering how you're doing. Mrswiensie, thank you for your suggestion of the four days schedule. Did that include the Canadian content or did you do Can. on the fifth day?

I'm still trying to sort everything out. Looks like Asher hated D+E...well, I still think that he thinks he does. But when I'm not helping my eldest read LOTR in the evening, I work away at D+E that way. I hope to switch to separate cores and then try the alternative. I'm also tempted to do Canadian this summer...but I think that might be asking too much. I think my kids are "done" even though they are not.

ME

charisweb
On 28/05/2015 at 7:39 PM, Mrswiensie said:

I haven't been online for a while, but now that we're done school I'm surfing again!

Here's a few of the Canadian books we used:

My First History of Canada as a spine throughout the year (schedule available on this forum if you search)

Canada a People's History DVDs throughout the year

Blessed Marie of New France (week 1-6)

-although this is more of a religion book (not Donna Ward), it gave great insight into the origins of faith in Canada and the different Catholic perspective in New France vs New England.  This is a very important element of history that cannot be ignored as we compare the history of Quebec to the American colonies.  So interesting!!

Paddle to the Sea 

-not a history book, but more geography that helped us Westerners and my younger kids visualize some of these places

Madeline in Command (weeks 8-10)

Fr. Marquette and the Great Rivers (week 9-13)

-another religion book scheduled in that was a great geography lesson.  These books really made an impact on us in how New France differed from New England and the race to explore the continent.  

Escape:  Adventures of a Loyalist Family (week 23-25)

A River Apart:  (week 26-28)

Bully Boys:  (week 29-32)

I had considered several other books, but in the interest of time and a full house renovation this was all we got to.  I started a few others but my boys found the romance a bit heavy so they were scrapped for my daughter when she comes around to Core D, which I'm sure she'll appreciate. 

Other ideas:

The King's Daughter

The Broken Blade

Wintering

With Wolfe in Canada (doing this in summer)

I also did not schedule in Canadian readers for the kids, as there were so many great readers in Core D.  I am currently working on a summer reading schedule of Canadian Readers recommended in such books as Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest.  Each boy will have several to complete over the next three months giving them more personal insight into Canadiana as we prepare for Core D.  

Next year we are not moving and renovating and I'm starting to work on the core E plan...it should be much more organized an complete!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this was just what I needed to read.  I knew I was not alone in this!  We are in Calgary, AB are currently doing D+E with our two oldest boys (8 & 9, grades 3 & 4) and then I was hoping to use Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest next year (as a gap year from Sonlight), but after reading this thread we are going to do a full year of D, followed by a full year of E, and just add Donna Ward's materials on top of it.  Managed to purchase a gently used copy of C&C for $100.  Score!  If you have your plan for Core E I would love to see that as well.  Thanks so much for this info, feels good to know others have walked this path before me :)

20344174.png

Edited by charisweb
  • Like 1

mimosa

I have bought a whole bunch of supplies for my Canadian year, that I am hoping to do Sonlight-style.  Donna Ward's stuff and a whole lot of readers that I've managed to glean off this forum. I also have Core D+E, but we had a hard time with it. It would have been better to do D and then E, but I really didn't know how to fit in Canadian stuff.  I have most of the books anyway for the full cores; I would just need the IGs. I saw IGs for those at the AHEA conference in the used book sale. Boy, I wish I had bought them.

Anyway, I have had a slow start, but what I am doing for my 8-11 year olds, is going through Canada, My Country quickly, to get an idea of the country. We are reading Vivien Bowers' WOW Canada as a read aloud, a family travelling the whole country. The Canadian homeschooler website had a different VB book of a grandma and two kids going through Canada the other way, and this is linked to downloadable curriculum that included a virtual tour. Anyway, after that we will go through Canadian Natives before we get into the history. Or start the history and then break for the natives....

I have managed to find a lot of read alouds (or readers, as the case may be for some of my children), and we will work through them while we go through Courage and Conquest and Geography to Geography....haven't gotten that far yet. I have the Canadian History for Modern Eyes to help me along.

Glad you decided what you were going to do. I don't know if we will have time for it all.

ME