Sign in to follow this  
nitro

What to do for grade 7&8

nitro

This is our first year with Sonlight and we are doing Core F for Grade 6 and K language arts, Saxon K for jk/sk. Looking ahead to grades 7 & 8 I am thinking of either doing Cores G & then H or skip Sonlight next year to do Canadian History/ Culture and then do Core W for Grade 8. For Grade 5 this year we studied the Canadian Government, and did Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest. I am wondering what other Canadian Sonlighters have done....looking to gain from your experience!

Thanks everyone,

Lisa

kolamum

I'd base it more on the age. We're wrapping up Core G right now & it's lovely, but I will say that my younger child had to be moved to his own core {he just turned 12} because a lot of things were going over his head & I knew he'd get more out of it by waiting & coming back to it later. If your 6th Grader is on the younger age you could do the lovely Core F, Canadian History, & then move into G & H.

If you don't feel they are on the young side then you could do ore F, G &H, & then instead of Core 100 {US history} do Canadian history.. 

Merry

I was thinking along the lines of what Kendra shared--do G & H, and then do Canadian history in place of SL 100.

happyhomeschooler

We're in Ontario, Canada :)  I agree with the others - I'd move along to Cores G followed by H.  There is Canadian integrated into these Cores already and you can elaborate a bit too when you get to people like John Cabot, etc. if you like.   These Cores also include some historical fiction lit that tie in nicely to Canadian content such as The Broken Blade (voyageurs) and Madeleine Takes Command, Charlemagne to name just a few.  If you have Modern History through Canadian Eyes and would like to go even more in depth, this book ties in the SOTW books alongside Canadian History.  Many of the titles they suggest are already found in SL's Cores G and H and if you'd like to add-in the odd movie, mapping, or even an extra spine those are easily found at the library if you don't already own them.  That said, you don't have to add anything at all to these 2 Cores. You can do them exactly as is :)

nitro

Thank-you everyone,

I think I will probably do G and then H, they sound so interesting and Happyhomeschooler, it's nice to hear I can do them exactly as is.

• Like 1

mimosa

I've been wondering about Cores G, H, and W, as well. What do I do with my grade 8 student. Because all he wants is the books read to him, do I do the full cores or W. OR what order to do it. I don't know what I would do for grade 9. If I do W, I'd just want the books for G and H anyway. But I also want to do Core F...lol.

So maybe I'd would do Canadian instead of Core 100 or in addition. And that could be grade 9 or 10. But I supposed I'd better look at Alberta outcomes first...lol. I did say that I wanted to work out a Canadian junior high core... :P

ME

Sign in to follow this