mominindia

an update on my graduate who did not go to college

mominindia

My son finished high school in a private school in PA last year.  It was good for him because as an American who never really lived in the US, he needed to understand the culture of the West.  He felt so much pressure to go to college....because that is what everyone else was doing....because he needed to get a job and make money....but he didn't know what to study and didn't really have direction.  

This story is so awesome...God opened the door for him to go to New Zealand (yes, NZ-- poor boy!) to do a medical focused Discipleship Training School with Youth With A Mission.  We are YWAMers and have been around DTS's our whole life, so my son initially resisted the idea.  But, my oh my, was this school awesome for him.  He learned everything we would want him to learn and experience in his relationship with God.  He was always a nice guy, but he is so different.  He spent 6 weeks on an island in the Pacific working with tribal people there and came back with story after story.  We were just thrilled.  

He is now back in NZ for the next two years as a staff and the next school is running.  He will lead an outreach team back to Vanuatu on his own, he is helping with worship times, he is preaching.  He came home and was interested in reading the books I'm studying in my graduate classes! 

I feel like I'm bragging!  But really - I'm just so thrilled.  I felt nervous about detouring from the traditional route.  He is contemplating school in the future - maybe a traditional college, maybe more YWAM schools.  Either way, when he gets more schooling, I know he will really know what he wants to study and that will make it much more relevant.  He is gaining so much leadership and life experience and he has a purpose and direction for his life now.  That is the best part.  

• Like 26

magdasalsa

Awesome!  I love reading stories like this one.  I don't know that I'd call it bragging, but in the case that it is, brag on!  That's your privilege for a job well done!

Moxie1

Fantastic.  Taking time to find yourself is critical in life.

daveswife

Awesome report!

tess in the burbs

this is awesome.  I have a kid who really wants to just do his own thing for a bit.  It scares me.  But at the same time I get it.  And I keep encouraging him to dream big and have courage to do things differently.  (I think b/c I wanted that but caved under pressure to do the school thing)

Happy it's working out for him, thank you so much for sharing!

Moxie1

My dd took a gap year before starting college to work, buy a car, and travel around the US and Europe including a month on the beach in Italy.

We thought it was great as did the headmaster from her private HS.  Unfortunately my siblings were very nasty to us about her not immediately going to college.  However what she did was best for her (4.0 last semester as one of the most difficult colleges in the country).

What you ds is doing is very impressive.  It seems to resonate in his soul.

Momof4JackAttacks

Amazing! God is good!

Merry

This is so wonderful! Thank you for telling us!!

DayDreamer

So happy for him - and for you!

mominindia

Thanks for sharing the joy with me, ladies.  This son could have handled college and part of me really wanted to judge our hs success by seeing him do well in college.  Once he started down his current path, I spent time thinking about if I was disappointed that he didn't go to college.  I easily came to the conclusion that I'm so thrilled with where he is.  He is a learner and he loves God.  

Is there a smily face for relieved mama!?? 

• Like 4

Jen in ME

There is nothing better than to have your child in God's will.  Rejoicing with you!

• Like 1

HannahB

I'm glad everything is working out well for him. It's always great to hear what the  graduates are doing.

Sandwich in Wi

Oh, Sarah!  How wonderful!  I know you've stressed about guiding him into the right place these past few years.  What an awesome experience for him and a neat testimony of God's plan.

Keep us updated!

(a DTS is on our back burner as a possibility for dd.  I wish she'd go visit the one that's in her town now before she comes home.  She's shy.)

Blessings,

Sandwich

all5morgans

How awesome!  As our eldest is heading into 9th grade, I fret about him.  He's bright but ... well, there's no real way to say it but... lazy.  We want him to tap into some God-inspired motivation and vision, but you can't force that to happen.  Love your story -- and must look into the YWAM DTS!

Kate

treegardner

That's awesome!

happyhomeschooler

This is WONDERFUL!!! :yahoo:  Thanks for sharing this with us!!!  It was/is such an encouragement to read :)