mathmom-nc

Books about Canada?

mathmom-nc

Hi all!  My 5th grade daughter is coming home from private school to homeschool next year, and we are planning on doing Core F.  But when I asked her what she'd like to study next year, she said, "I've spent a lot of time on US history, but I really don't know anything about Canada.  I'd like to study Canada."  We are from MN originally, and have Canadian ancestry and relatives, but I don't know what books to give her or where to start!

Can you give some recommendations for a 5th-6th grade advanced reader for a self-study Canadian history unit?  Or where I should look for more resources?  Sonlight books are good, as is other literature.

Thanks for all your help.  I'll probably learn along with her!

Kim

mathmom-nc

I see if I had just read down the posts a little bit, you all had worked on this problem already in the posts about the Canadian Core.  I have some reading to do!

featherhead

Donna Ward has some nice packages you could look at. I only have experience with Canada My Country, which my kids enjoyed.

• Like 1

dee4

If you were going to invest in one book for grades 5 - 8, then this one is nice, The Story of Canada, by Janet Lunn.  It's got lots of great colour illustrations and photos in among a variety of stories or mini-biographies about individuals and general information.

There are other series of books that go into a lot more detail, such as the Discovering Canada series by Smith and Livesey, and you can learn more about specific subjects.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-Canada-Janet-Lunn/dp/1895555884

Edited by dee4

arctic_bunny

Second The Story of Canada. There is also a "Dear Canada" series, from which my 11yo has been gleaning bits of history for years.

• Like 1

Clutz

I have this book!  I can't believe that a few years before I started homeschooling I happened to be browsing the library book sale shelf and picked it up for about $2. It was not until I started having to create a Canadian curriculum that I realized how much value this book has brought into our learning. 

mominindianapolis

I have several great books. I will try to remember to post titles tomorrow.

You will likely find this website helpful.

https://www.donnaward.net/

mimosa

The Story of Canada is great, actually. As far as I know it is out of print now. When I bought it from www.heritageresources.ca, they told me that I had to order it with the study guide.  

ME

featherhead

The Story of Canada is great, actually. As far as I know it is out of print now. When I bought it from www.heritageresources.ca, they told me that I had to order it with the study guide.

ME

I think it is still available through Scholastic. I saw it in their flyers just a few months ago. They have it divided into 3 paperback books.

arctic_bunny

I think it is still available through Scholastic. I saw it in their flyers just a few months ago. They have it divided into 3 paperback books.

That's exactly how I bought it.