Sippin' Lymeade

Dyslexic and high school

Sippin' Lymeade

My dd14 is suspected dyslexic.  School district said she didn't qualify by their standard b/c her skills where in the range of normal except spelling.  (Skills with pretty much either about 80 percentile or 30 percentile.  Spelling was 21%).  I don't buy it though b/c she fits the description.  We tried an online foreign language class and she is not passing, despite have been exposed to that language since she was 1 and a basic ability to understand what I say to her or catch a lot of words in a movie. 

She is also struggling with reading the Apologia Biology book and all the new terms there.  She is interested in possibly pursuing OT and will need Anatomy.  Any ideas on how she can start learning some Anatomy terms so she has a leg up?  New words and memorization just kill her (thus the foreign language and Biology are so hard for her this year). She's always been an advanced reader for pleasure, but I think she is stealth dyslexic...practically no phonics skills, except what I've drilled into her head for years!

Advice?

HannahB

Have you looked into private testing? If you can get a private diagnosis you can look into accommodations for college even if she doesn't fit what the public says.

• Like 1

Sippin' Lymeade

Have you looked into private testing? If you can get a private diagnosis you can look into accommodations for college even if she doesn't fit what the public says.

No...we don't have extra $ at the time to pursue it...I'm hoping maybe in a year we will be in a different place.

rbk mama

My dyslexic DS (14) is slated for biology next year, and I've been worried about the same thing.  I've been poking around this site: http://www.beatingdyslexia.com/memory-improvement-techniques.html and like his ideas for memorizing.  Maybe you could help her start working through lists the way he describes.

I know there are physicians who are dyslexic, so it is possible!  DS is headed toward engineering, which feels much easier to me.

• Like 1

Mazurka

I have one student who is clearly dyslexic, and other who says he's dyslexic, even though years ago a doctor said he was not. (I don't necessarily think that doctor was right, but we've been operating on "no dyslexia" for that child.)  At any rate, with both of my boys I help drill them with vocabulary.  I would like to not be involved in this, but if I don't do it, the memorization takes a long, long time.

It might also help if your student listens to the Apologia text while reading along.  The audio files are not very expensive.

• Like 1

HannahB

No...we don't have extra $ at the time to pursue it...I'm hoping maybe in a year we will be in a different place.

I understand. I'd try to save some money for that if at all possible before she heads to college or has to take things like the SAT. You might even ask around and see if there are places that might give you a reduced fee based on income. It doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

Sippin' Lymeade

I have one student who is clearly dyslexic, and other who says he's dyslexic, even though years ago a doctor said he was not. (I don't necessarily think that doctor was right, but we've been operating on "no dyslexia" for that child.)  At any rate, with both of my boys I help drill them with vocabulary.  I would like to not be involved in this, but if I don't do it, the memorization takes a long, long time.

It might also help if your student listens to the Apologia text while reading along.  The audio files are not very expensive.

I am planning to get those for her chemistry class next year....she is almost done with this year.

Sippin' Lymeade

I understand. I'd try to save some money for that if at all possible before she heads to college or has to take things like the SAT. You might even ask around and see if there are places that might give you a reduced fee based on income. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I will...I've got to save money for the orthodontist and for a counselor too (unrelated) I think....but I'll put it on the list! Praying dh gets a better paying job next year or I figure out something I can handle from home.  We need our bank account to be headed the other direction!  :)

Sippin' Lymeade

My dyslexic DS (14) is slated for biology next year, and I've been worried about the same thing.  I've been poking around this site: http://www.beatingdyslexia.com/memory-improvement-techniques.html and like his ideas for memorizing.  Maybe you could help her start working through lists the way he describes.

I know there are physicians who are dyslexic, so it is possible!  DS is headed toward engineering, which feels much easier to me.

Great! I'll look into that site more!