koko

Core choice for severely dyslexic student

koko

Hello! 

My 6th grade DS was just diagnosed with severe to profound dyslexia. It was a surprise to me, even though his older brother is dyslexic, because apparently up until the last few months his brain has been able to compensate by sight reading and contextual understanding. That's becoming just too difficult now that the work is becoming more challenging in junior high. There may be other issues as well; we are awaiting further testing.

We've been doing Core G this year, and the readers have just been over his head. Many of the read alouds are as well, as he has difficulty processing and retaining information. We are going to use the Barton tutoring program next year and slow everything waaaay down. I am thinking of bumping back a step to Core F just to have a year of simpler readers, no "history" per se as a subject, and read alouds that hopefully will be more easily understandable for him. We will go at whatever pace allows for him to not get overwhelmed. He can read probably 4th-5th grade level, in short stints, if the book holds his interest; he needs easy concrete plots so he can keep tabs on things through context. Thoughts on this? Good idea? Suggestions? I'm going to post this on the choosing curriculum board as well. Thanks in advance! 

Jenni

Z3TL

how old is your son?

Z

rbk mama

I highly recommend Bookshare, which is free if you have documented dyslexia, which it sounds like you do.  Our dyslexic DS used Bookshare to listen to most of his readers for several cores.  They have a wonderful ap which highlights each word as its being read, so even though the student is listening to the book, they are still improving in word recognition/automaticity.  We also go slower, and don't use every single book.  There are so many good ones, its been fine.  We've also added in some easier ones.  I think any core can be adjusted to meet a dyslexic student's needs; really just depends on what content you want to cover next.

koko

My son is 12 and will be in 7th grade in the fall (late birthday, November). 

Roopa, thank you. I have an older son with dyslexia who is an auditory learner and we have adjusted his schoolwork to that direction with a lot of success. However, this son may have some auditory processing issues as well. The tester said his brain is so busy trying to put sounds together into words that he very quickly gets beyond comprehending what was said/read. 

Merry

Hello! 

My 6th grade DS was just diagnosed with severe to profound dyslexia. It was a surprise to me, even though his older brother is dyslexic, because apparently up until the last few months his brain has been able to compensate by sight reading and contextual understanding. That's becoming just too difficult now that the work is becoming more challenging in junior high. There may be other issues as well; we are awaiting further testing.

We've been doing Core G this year, and the readers have just been over his head. Many of the read alouds are as well, as he has difficulty processing and retaining information. We are going to use the Barton tutoring program next year and slow everything waaaay down. I am thinking of bumping back a step to Core F just to have a year of simpler readers, no "history" per se as a subject, and read alouds that hopefully will be more easily understandable for him. We will go at whatever pace allows for him to not get overwhelmed. He can read probably 4th-5th grade level, in short stints, if the book holds his interest; he needs easy concrete plots so he can keep tabs on things through context. Thoughts on this? Good idea? Suggestions? I'm going to post this on the choosing curriculum board as well. Thanks in advance! 

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

I've read your message and thought about commenting about a half a dozen times! There are so many unknowns that I've refrained...but I'll put a couple of thoughts out there:

One, when you start Barton, I believe they will have him not do any outside reading until he reaches a specific level. So...that's something you may want to keep in mind as you think about what to have him do next year. You may want to check with them specifically on this issue.

Two, with the read-alouds--I think backing up is an excellent idea, and the core F books are wonderful. (Some people even use this core in high school, so I'd see no problem in using it with a 7th grader). The point where I get stuck is wondering whether Core F is the right placement (is it far enough back, should he go back to D or D+E?) etc... For that, I really have no idea how to counsel. However--do you have the new SL catalog? I don't have mine in front of me right now, but since they have the book descriptions back in, go check those for Core F, and also for D and D+E. In the older catalogs, the book descriptions included a "reader" level and a "read-aloud" level. I would check out the read-aloud levels for books he struggled with in G, and try to choose a core that mainly has lower read-aloud levels for most or all of the read-alouds.

Three, when you do read aloud, try slowing down the rate at which you speak just a hair--put slightly longer pauses in at commas and periods as well. This article on auditory processing has a good list of tips you might find helpful.

Hang in there!

• Like 1

rbk mama

My son is 12 and will be in 7th grade in the fall (late birthday, November). 

Roopa, thank you. I have an older son with dyslexia who is an auditory learner and we have adjusted his schoolwork to that direction with a lot of success. However, this son may have some auditory processing issues as well. The tester said his brain is so busy trying to put sounds together into words that he very quickly gets beyond comprehending what was said/read. 

That does introduce a whole other level of difficulty!  Have you tried putting the audio on a slower speed?  Similar to what Merry suggested with reading the RAs more slowly, the readers also can be set to whatever speed works for him.  If you are starting Barton, I'd recommend discussing with Susan Barton - she is super helpful.

• Like 1

koko

Merry, Roopa, THANK YOU!  I don't know a lot about Barton yet, just that my friend who tested him is certified through that program and is graciously lending me the materials come this summer so that I can begin with him. We are in the midst of wedding plans for another son and I won't have much time to delve into it until mid-summer. I didn't know that about no outside reading...that's helpful. We have actually done Core D/E...hmm...perhaps it might be better to pull those cores out and just reread...or maybe just taking two years to go through Core F is the way to go. Much to pray about!  Thanks for your input.