msclare83

Homeschooling Autism

msclare83

Hey all. My 4 year old son has autism. I have been homeschooling my older two kiddos for 5 years, and planned on homeschooling my 4 yr old as well, but recently his therapists have been strongly recommending that he go to preschool this year for social skills and routine.

I'm exploring private & Montessori schools, but I'm honestly sad at the idea of him being away at school every day.

Does anyone here homeschool young autistic kiddos? Or found that their kids did really well going to school?

poodlemom

Again, it all depends on the school and teachers.  I have a friend who has 3 kids and her youngest went to kindergarten for two years in a row and really thrived, made some friends, and was able for a lot of therapies per the school district.

I worked in a private charter school with every other kid having a dx of autism.  Classes were small and lots of therapists. 

However, I've seen it be a bit neglectful in other districts. 

Getting back to my friend with the 3 kids, one of the reasons she did send her son to school was also to take the pressure off the other 2 kids.  The youngest son's autism really took a huge toll on the two older kids and they were getting quite angry.  For example, my friend would be working with the two older children and suddenly the youngest one would swoop in and rip up their arts and crafts projects.  As she said, she was running a home school, therapy center, and constant intervention.  It was just too much for everyone to get cope with.

Or your child may be so withdrawn and a good therapist and the right kind of kids could help draw him out - I've personally seen that happen too.

Just giving you thoughts to think about.

Poodlemom

hsmamainva

I have two children with autism.

I homeschooled my oldest son K-12 and he's now in college.  We used Sonlight for all 12 years.

My youngest is 14 and her autism is more severe than my son's.  She's currently working on a 2nd grade level in most subjects.

Sonlight + Math U See are the best curriculums out there in my opinion!!!  

As far as school choice goes, my youngest was in public school from 3 years old through 4th grade.  Some things were good -- some were very very bad.  She had some great teachers -- she had some terrible teachers.  My son, who I homeschooled all the way through, has more confidence in himself than she does.  But being home for the last several years has helped her to recover some of that confidence.  

I would investigate the schools and the teachers as much as possible before you decide to enroll him.  And, once you do, check often to make sure his needs are being met.  

Edited by hsmamainva

Deanna10

Hi! My almost 4 year old son has ASD, he spent this past year in a public school special education classroom for children with developmental delays. Our experience was mostly good. Our son made some friends and had some great teachers. On the other side I did not like how he was pushed around by a bigger boy in his class. He learned some bad habits and words from other kids. And the school system is a pain in the neck and our county discriminats against children with ASD. They put new policies into place for next year that require ASD kids to be put in a separate school and class! We had always planned on homeschooling and gave him this year to see if maybe he would benefit any from the school.

My advice is you want it is to pray and do what God leads you to do and be in a agreement with your husband over it.

If you homeschool make a point to get him playing with kids other then siblings 2-3x a week. Play groups co-ops, church etc. you can arrange for him to get speech, ot, physical therapy and ABA therapy at home or in an out- patient clinic. Sonlight is great for our son because it exposes him to many words and books. We go at his own pace and I can have him at differant level in reading phonics, math, science, history and bible. I can truly customize it to fit him! I wish you the best of luck!!