SewWhat?

He tested into 200s level Japanese!!

SewWhat?

Christian had to take a foreign language placement test because he's going to major in Japanese & Chinese Studies and International Mission (or relations, or something like that... LOL)

He has had NO formal Japanese classes. He asked for some books for his birthday last September and he's been watching Japanese shows/cartoons and reading Manga and stuff. 

He's SO shocked he tested so well! He really had thought he wasn't learning much the way he was doing it. He has taught himself a ton of the symbols and characters. For Christmas he asked for Japanese videos and music CDs and books. He took a break feeling burnt out on it but has picked it back up again. 

He goes for orientation Monday/Tuesday. He is thinking he's going to go ahead and enroll in the 100s level courses though. He is worried he will have missed a lot of important things since he's learned in the way he has. I think that's a good idea too. He'll know some stuff obviously but it'll be nice going in knowing it's not going to be as hard as he was fearing originally. :)

Edited by SewWhat?
  • Like 8

Bendxap

Wow! Congratulations! That is impressive!

Moxie1

Congratulations.  Dh says watching TV and reading comics really helps those language skills.  That is how he learned English.

SewWhat?

Wow! Congratulations! That is impressive!

I agree! He was just telling me last week he's not sure he can learn a language, he was depressed about what he thought his abilities were.

Now, he's excited too!! LOL

I didn't buy him a Japanese program because I had bought so many other programs over the years. Jr/Hi he had 1 1/2y of Rosetta Stone French and 1/2 a year of RS Arabic. We had 2y of a Latin program. When he was going to the Christian school last year he went through 3 levels of RS Russian. So, I said if you want to do Japanese do it on your own. So he made a lsit of books he wanted and went for it :)

SewWhat?

Congratulations.  Dh says watching TV and reading comics really helps those language skills.  That is how he learned English.

Cool!! He wants to GO to Japan so he'll be immersed :) His plan is to teach English in Japan for a mission. But, we'll see where God really takes him.

Bendxap

I agree! He was just telling me last week he's not sure he can learn a language, he was depressed about what he thought his abilities were.

Now, he's excited too!! LOL

When Older (bilingual in English and Spanish from babyhood) was getting ready to go to Japan for a three month internship, he asked me, "How do you learn a language?!"

I didn't buy him a Japanese program because I had bought so many other programs over the years. Jr/Hi he had 1 1/2y of Rosetta Stone French and 1/2 a year of RS Arabic. We had 2y of a Latin program. When he was going to the Christian school last year he went through 3 levels of RS Russian. So, I said if you want to do Japanese do it on your own. So he made a lsit of books he wanted and went for it :)

If he's been that interested in languages, no wonder he did so well! You must be very proud of him! (I struggle with languages so I am impressed with people who just like languages.)

Edited by Bendxap

SewWhat?

When Older (bilingual in English and Spanish from babyhood) was getting ready to go to Japan for a three month internship, he asked me, "How do you learn a language?!"

If he's been that interested in languages, no wonder he did so well! You must be very proud of him! (I struggle with languages so I am impressed with people who just like languages.)

Yes he LOVES languages!! :) I do not. He keeps asking me to learn too so he has someone one talk to but I said sorry. He doesn't want to learn to knit, and I don't want to learn Japanese. We all have our own things.... LOL

• Like 4

Merry

That's awesome! I think he'll be glad he takes the 100's level course--that sounds like a smart choice. When I was in college, I tested into a higher level of Latin, and found just what he's concerned about--that there were gaps the lower class would have filled in for me and that would have made my overall progress easier. (And maybe I would have gotten better grades all along too!) Sometimes it's nice to start on the easy side and build fluency and confidence--but what a confidence-booster that he tested so well!

SewWhat?

That's awesome! I think he'll be glad he takes the 100's level course--that sounds like a smart choice. When I was in college, I tested into a higher level of Latin, and found just what he's concerned about--that there were gaps the lower class would have filled in for me and that would have made my overall progress easier. (And maybe I would have gotten better grades all along too!) Sometimes it's nice to start on the easy side and build fluency and confidence--but what a confidence-booster that he tested so well!

Better grades would be a good thing too... LOL!

• Like 1

Bendxap

He is thinking he's going to go ahead and enroll in the 100s level courses though. He is worried he will have missed a lot of important things since he's learned in the way he has. I think that's a good idea too. He'll know some stuff obviously but it'll be nice going in knowing it's not going to be as hard as he was fearing originally. :)

I think that since he's self-taught, this is a good idea. But also be ready for the fact that it might be too easy; that he knows more than he thinks he does.

I had four years of Spanish in high school (doing pretty well in spite of not being good at languages!) and took a placement test at my university. I placed in the 300  level but when I was registering for classes the adviser on duty suggested that I go for a 200 level class because "college classes are much harder than high school classes." Well, I was bored to tears and when I finally talked to the TA, she was amazed to find out that we'd had to write a term paper in Spanish, "What are you doing in this class?" (Since it was almost the end of the quarter, I finished the class and then went on to 300 level classes. :) )

• Like 1

SewWhat?

I think that since he's self-taught, this is a good idea. But also be ready for the fact that it might be too easy; that he knows more than he thinks he does.

I had four years of Spanish in high school (doing pretty well in spite of not being good at languages!) and took a placement test at my university. I placed in the 300  level but when I was registering for classes the adviser on duty suggested that I go for a 200 level class because "college classes are much harder than high school classes." Well, I was bored to tears and when I finally talked to the TA, she was amazed to find out that we'd had to write a term paper in Spanish, "What are you doing in this class?" (Since it was almost the end of the quarter, I finished the class and then went on to 300 level classes. :) )

Wow! I went through 3 levels of Spanish in high school but never had to write a term paper in Spanish! LOL 

I didn't take it in college though.

He does know he may be bored, but he also is ready to be challenged :) We'll see!

• Like 1

Mazurka

That's awesome! And what a neat way to learn a language. Quite impressive, IMO.

• Like 1

slac

That is truly amazing!  I know, from Ryan's experience, just how hard Japanese is, and I am truly impressed!  Way to go!  

SewWhat?

That's awesome! And what a neat way to learn a language. Quite impressive, IMO.

:)

That is truly amazing!  I know, from Ryan's experience, just how hard Japanese is, and I am truly impressed!  Way to go!  

:)

SewWhat?

Well, he signed up for the Intermediate Japanese 1 (203). I questioned why? He said he did too, but the adviser said that the instructor does the levels each differently and eventhough he doesn't think he's all that proficient he'll get analyzed by the instructor and she thinks things will be ok. There was apparently one other student who also tested out of the 100s level.

I guess he'll see how it goes!! LOL It's at 8am. It'll be a great class to get him out of bed I think, because he'll be excited about it. :)

• Like 2