Bendxap

I can't wait til Younger graduates from college

Bendxap

if for no other reason than not having to deal with all the paperwork to make it possible for him to be in college.

My sister (our permanent US address) just sent me his tuition bill, due Aug 1, for an amount more than five times as much as we've paid in the past. No scholarships, grants or anything applied to the tuition costs. If this is for real, this may be his last semester there 'cause we'll be out of money.

We have evidence that we submitted the FAFSA stuff in March but somehow the university didn't process it?!

Younger will call the finance office tomorrow during his lunch break and see what he can find out.

End of vent. And now, back to your regularly scheduled lives.

Edited by Bendxap

Fauche

Sorry.....lifting. And having son go look to see if his has arrived by email yet.

Bendxap

Sorry.....lifting. And having son go look to see if his has arrived by email yet.

Thanks, Fauche! May yours go better than ours!

Edited by Bendxap

3children

Thinking of you. I remember dealing with all that through my own college days...aiya.

SewWhat?

We're about to go in for our first financial office meeting. I'm scared.... 

Bendxap

Thinking of you. I remember dealing with all that through my own college days...aiya.

My dad took care of it all for me; now I see that it would have been helpful to have been involved in the process. Although I'm sure that things were much simpler in the early to mid 70s, as well as the facts that I went to a state university and lived off campus with my brother. 

We're about to go in for our first financial office meeting. I'm scared.... 

I hope it all goes well for you, much better than you even dream.

We didn't do that with either of our boys. The first time we went to Older's college was for orientation and move-in weekend, the weekend before classes started. Younger and I went to his orientation (one day) in June and that was his first time seeing his university (classes started in August).

SewWhat?

My dad took care of it all for me; now I see that it would have been helpful to have been involved in the process. Although I'm sure that things were much simpler in the early to mid 70s, as well as the facts that I went to a state university and lived off campus with my brother. 

I hope it all goes well for you, much better than you even dream.

We didn't do that with either of our boys. The first time we went to Older's college was for orientation and move-in weekend, the weekend before classes started. Younger and I went to his orientation (one day) in June and that was his first time seeing his university (classes started in August).

Christian went to his orientation overnighter a couple weeks alone. Neither of us knew what to expect. He had a good time and having spent one night in a dorm he's greatly thankful he's living at home.

I'm hoping that speaking to the financial office will help lower his cost, esp since dh is on week 10 now off work since our accident.

• Like 1

Merry

I went to college in the 80's and handled it all myself--and I can tell you it was NOTHING like what it is now. I hope things get straightened out for you! (I find the billing at my son's college is strange at times. For example, they send out an automated message to pay for fall tuition, and when I look at the "bill," it doesn't show that any financial aid was applied. But when I go in other parts, I can see the award, and I can see that some things won't be applied until fall. Hoping that something like that is going on in your case!)

Bendxap

Christian went to his orientation overnighter a couple weeks alone. Neither of us knew what to expect. He had a good time and having spent one night in a dorm he's greatly thankful he's living at home.

I'm hoping that speaking to the financial office will help lower his cost, esp since dh is on week 10 now off work since our accident.

I hope so, too! 

I went to college in the 80's and handled it all myself--and I can tell you it was NOTHING like what it is now. I hope things get straightened out for you! (I find the billing at my son's college is strange at times. For example, they send out an automated message to pay for fall tuition, and when I look at the "bill," it doesn't show that any financial aid was applied. But when I go in other parts, I can see the award, and I can see that some things won't be applied until fall. Hoping that something like that is going on in your case!)

No, in the past when we've gotten his tuition statements they show all the costs minus all the financial aid, giving us a total that we have to pay. 

I'm imagining that either it didn't get sent from FAFSA to the university or it fell into some black hole in the university. 

I've realized that this bill (without the financial aid) is more than five times what we have paid in the past--and in the past he was living on campus, this semester he'll be off campus. I hate to imagine what it would have been if he'd been living on campus! (actually, I do have a pretty good idea. It threatens heart attacks in me.)

• Like 1

the geographer

Big Sis is having problems with her school email right now, is gone at camp during the week so it's hard to contact the school to fix it, and we just realized that she hasn't accepted her financial aid for the fall. Ugh. I hope she can get out straightened out this week.

Bendxap

Younger contacted the financial aid office and they said there was a problem with one parent's SSN and that in previous year's, his dad's SSN had been all zeros. Oh, yeah, now I remember. . . Hubby doesn't have a SSN since he's not a US citizen but he does have a taxpayer's id, which we use in other forms in place of a SSN. I forgot that FAFSA is not one of those forms. Here's hoping and praying that Younger will still get all his financial aid.

Big Sis is having problems with her school email right now, is gone at camp during the week so it's hard to contact the school to fix it, and we just realized that she hasn't accepted her financial aid for the fall. Ugh. I hope she can get out straightened out this week.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. :( Hope it all gets sorted out SOON!

northwestmom

Here's hoping and praying that Younger will still get all his financial aid.

Yes, I hope so too!!

polarbearla

Valerie, Did this get straightened out??  I hope you don't have to pay all of that for his school!!

Bendxap

Valerie, Did this get straightened out??  I hope you don't have to pay all of that for his school!!

Thanks for asking, Nancy Ann!

When we were getting the FAFSA thing sorted out, Younger asked the finance office about his financial aid. They said it would all be applied when they got the corrected form from the FAFSA people and that it would take three to five days.

Just a little while ago, Younger let me know that he'd checked on it and the financial aid isn't there yet, so he emailed the finance office about it. So we are still waiting. Payment date is the end of July and we need a few days to get my inheritance money transferred to our checking account...

• Like 2

Fauche

Thanks for asking, Nancy Ann!

When we were getting the FAFSA thing sorted out, Younger asked the finance office about his financial aid. They said it would all be applied when they got the corrected form from the FAFSA people and that it would take three to five days.

Just a little while ago, Younger let me know that he'd checked on it and the financial aid isn't there yet, so he emailed the finance office about it. So we are still waiting. Payment date is the end of July and we need a few days to get my inheritance money transferred to our checking account...

Still lifting...DS went on Wed. to his college financial aid office to find out why he didn't get any aid...they apparently  missed his information so we also are waiting to hear. 'Next week' which being USA we hope is next week..complicated by him now studying in Germany.  

Bendxap

Still lifting...DS went on Wed. to his college financial aid office to find out why he didn't get any aid...they apparently  missed his information so we also are waiting to hear. 'Next week' which being USA we hope is next week..complicated by him now studying in Germany.  

Oh my! Praying that it all gets sorted out soon!

Bendxap

Financial aid stuff is in! Now to wait to see what our final bill is.

And to keep praying for Fauche's son's financial aid...

• Like 1

polarbearla

Praying all this stuff gets worked out!

• Like 1

the geographer

Ugh. Her bill came in the mail this week. It included her merit award but obviously not her loans. Hopefully she can get her email fixed, get her financial aid fixed, and be set for the fall semester.

Bendxap

Ugh. Her bill came in the mail this week. It included her merit award but obviously not her loans. Hopefully she can get her email fixed, get her financial aid fixed, and be set for the fall semester.

Oh, Debbi, I am sorry. :( It's like there's a plague of bad financial aid going around. Praying that she'll soon have great news for you.