Sign in to follow this  
Countrymom9

Math for ds16

Countrymom9

I am cross-posting this in Math.

Ds16, who is dyslexic, apparently has not kept much math since grade 8 functioning in his brain. Math he did well last year or the year before...he looks at it and says, "I remember doing this but I don't remember how any more." Before eighth grade he was really good in math. I think part of the problem is his reluctance to write a problem down in an orderly way rather than all over the page. The ed psych who did a recent assessment says he has slow processing speed (though high normal intelligence) and needs overlearning to develop automaticity.  He learns best with a combination of video and print.

He is slated to take Algebra 2 in co-op (Math-U-See) and I'd like to keep him in that while adding a "Math Review" course at home. My current thoughts are either use Key to fractions, percents, and algebra (because they're user-friendly and will give him needed practice), teach from missed items on the cc placement test using Khan Academy and free-printable worksheets for drill on the topic, or repurchase Learn Math Fast for the topics he needsI know it seems screwy to keep him in Algebra 2, but I think we'll have problems if dd14 gets ahead of him in math. I think he can handle it, since it's MUS, with a bit of extra help.

I need opinions about this. What I'd really like is for him to take the computer-based remedial math courses at the cc, but he isn't driving independently yet and I know dh will balk at paying for that anyway. The cc is about 40 minutes from here and it would make my day crazy. He won't be driving till January per state law. Which of my suggestions would you go with, or do you have other ideas? 

poodlemom

Have you thought about using the *workbooks* (not just the regular book) of the "basic math and pre-algebra for dummies series?"  My daughter has very slow processing speed but high intelligence also.  She is NOT a verbal learner in math.  She uses Khan academy and these workbooks.  You can get them cheap, cheap on Amazon.  And we find that series to be pretty good.  She works with her father who is also a math teacher (but does something else) and they get along very well.

She is just finishing a 2 week course (free) at the local community college (10 minutes away for us), of "math boot camp."  Fortunately, this is free because it is clear, clear, clear, that she can't keep up with the concepts when they go too fast.  She is there 3 hours a day.  The great thing is her attitude because in the past she would have cried, etc over the whole thing and melted down.  She is sticking it out but she had some great insight when she came home the other day and said, "I'm not a verbal only learner."  She has to touch, see, feel, demo it.  I'm glad she can drive herself too because otherwise it would be making my day and part-time job crazy too.

We had Math-U-See when she was much younger and now you've got me wondering if we should go that route right now this fall.  She is signed up for history and composition - very much her strong skills, and she is spending about 3 to 4 hours a week, spread out on the math to be ready for a math class come January.

Poodlemom

Poodlemom

• Like 1

Countrymom9

Have you thought about using the *workbooks* (not just the regular book) of the "basic math and pre-algebra for dummies series?"  My daughter has very slow processing speed but high intelligence also.  She is NOT a verbal learner in math.  She uses Khan academy and these workbooks.  You can get them cheap, cheap on Amazon.  And we find that series to be pretty good.  She works with her father who is also a math teacher (but does something else) and they get along very well.

She is just finishing a 2 week course (free) at the local community college (10 minutes away for us), of "math boot camp."  Fortunately, this is free because it is clear, clear, clear, that she can't keep up with the concepts when they go too fast.  She is there 3 hours a day.  The great thing is her attitude because in the past she would have cried, etc over the whole thing and melted down.  She is sticking it out but she had some great insight when she came home the other day and said, "I'm not a verbal only learner."  She has to touch, see, feel, demo it.  I'm glad she can drive herself too because otherwise it would be making my day and part-time job crazy too.

We had Math-U-See when she was much younger and now you've got me wondering if we should go that route right now this fall.  She is signed up for history and composition - very much her strong skills, and she is spending about 3 to 4 hours a week, spread out on the math to be ready for a math class come January.

Poodlemom

Poodlemom

I'll check these out. I also saw a series called Mastering Essential Math Skills, which has an online component done by the author, which is cheap and looks like it could be good. I'll explore both of them, as well as any other suggestions anyone has!

Thanks!

daveswife

I had my son go through EZ Math before he did Algebra 2. We went with the Alg1, Geometry, Alg. 2 sequence for him, and he panicked at the beginning of Algebra 2, feeling like he wasn't sure if he was ready. EZ Math was quick to get through and gave him the confidence to begin Alg. 2. My son doesn't have a special need, but he never felt entirely comfortable with math. After he finished the EZ Math, I decided to ditch MUS in favor of Mathhelp.com. We paired it with Blitzer's Intermediate Algebra for College Students (only for the few times he needed extra problems or another explanation) and he had a very successful run with Algebra 2. 

• Like 1

poodlemom

Thank you for the link on EZ Math.  I ordered it today to supplement the other books I have.  I like also their line up of the science books she'll be needing next year.

Poodlemom

• Like 1

Countrymom9

I had my son go through EZ Math before he did Algebra 2. We went with the Alg1, Geometry, Alg. 2 sequence for him, and he panicked at the beginning of Algebra 2, feeling like he wasn't sure if he was ready. EZ Math was quick to get through and gave him the confidence to begin Alg. 2. My son doesn't have a special need, but he never felt entirely comfortable with math. After he finished the EZ Math, I decided to ditch MUS in favor of Mathhelp.com. We paired it with Blitzer's Intermediate Algebra for College Students (only for the few times he needed extra problems or another explanation) and he had a very successful run with Algebra 2. 

Thanks! I'll check that out!

• Like 1

poodlemom

Just got the EZ Math from Barrons.  My dh went through both and our daughter's math work so far.  He said, for her, she is going to do better working from the Dummies series because it moves slower and has (in his opinion) more thorough explanations.  However, he felt that EZ also offered a different take on the same problem that could be very useful.  But she needs the slower and more thorough explanations to not get frustrated.  The EZ goes just too quick from a basic concept to a more complicated one.

Poodlemom

Sign in to follow this