ajbmom

College success for "unmotivated" high school boys...what's your experience?

ajbmom

I'm posting in this forum, hoping to get a college mom who might have experienced this very thing.  I have a 16y/o Junior boy.  This is him with schooling, in a nutshell:

Consistently moans about schoolwork, but completes everything...however slowly.

Does not do more than asked.  Ever. (for example continuing to read if it interests him, or get ahead if time warrants)

Says he's going to college, but shows no interest in making steps in that direction (attending college fairs, etc.)

Generally unmotivated as far as school goes.  Does it because he has to.    
Major procrastinator.

Does not enjoy reading.

ADHD/disorganized/forgetful 

Smart as a whip.  Tests well.

Pretty happy-go-lucky, but lackadaisical about most things, including school.

So, is this all part and parcel for a 16y/o boy, or is this something I should be very concerned about?  How much maturity occurs between 16 and 18?  I mean, we're trudging along, but I'm concerned he'll go off to college and flunk out because he'll sit on his phone instead of actually study for a test/write a paper, etc.  Is this just 16y/o or is this kiddo not cut out for college success?

Bendxap

What's he interested in doing with his life?

When Younger was a junior, he was planning on getting an associate's degree (2 yrs) in computer networking and/or an auto mechanic's license (1 yr). He did not want to go to a four year school; he wanted to get some training and get a job. (He was very influenced by Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs.) We were fine with that. Who knew? Maybe he'd invent a better way to fix cars or something! (Younger is very bright, very hands-on, good with math.)

Then he went to the missionary kids school and had a wonderful teacher who loved math for calculus. I think he also saw that math comes very easily to him (up until then, he'd only had Older to compare himself too and Older does not "do" math, although he can.) He also took an online course with two other boys (the same ones that were in his calc class) for computer repair and said that everything he would have learned in the associate's degree, he learned during that online class. So during his senior year, because of those classes (and the teacher, I think), he got interested in going to a four year college to do computer engineering. (He's now starting his junior year in college, doing well and loving it.)

• Like 2

gatormom

What's he interested in doing with his life?

When Younger was a junior, he was planning on getting an associate's degree (2 yrs) in computer networking and/or an auto mechanic's license (1 yr). He did not want to go to a four year school; he wanted to get some training and get a job. (He was very influenced by Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs.) We were fine with that. Who knew? Maybe he'd invent a better way to fix cars or something! (Younger is very bright, very hands-on, good with math.)

Then he went to the missionary kids school and had a wonderful teacher who loved math for calculus. I think he also saw that math comes very easily to him (up until then, he'd only had Older to compare himself too and Older does not "do" math, although he can.) He also took an online course with two other boys (the same ones that were in his calc class) for computer repair and said that everything he would have learned in the associate's degree, he learned during that online class. So during his senior year, because of those classes (and the teacher, I think), he got interested in going to a four year college to do computer engineering. (He's now starting his junior year in college, doing well and loving it.)

You are giving me hope.  My 15yo son is not academic at all.  But loves to fix and build anything.  

Bendxap

You are giving me hope.  My 15yo son is not academic at all.  But loves to fix and build anything.  

To tell you the truth, Younger did very well in school. When he was little, we really struggled with him getting things done in a timely manner. Reading Strong-Willed Child or Dreamer was a huge help to me. 

His thoughts, as far as college, were "Why go to school for four more years, get lots of debt, and then maybe not be able to find a job?" So he was going on his hands-on strengths. Like I said, that was fine with us although we were sad to think that the wonderful brain God had given him was maybe not going to get the workout it deserved. :) 

Check out Mike Rowe's videos (it's been a while since I watched them so I don't want to link anything without being sure of what it is) but you might start here and here

Also you might want to check out Tinkering School. (This is the TED talk that got us interested in it.) Younger squeaked into one session (it ended a week before his 18th birthday--which is their cut-off age) and LOVED it. (This is the blog recording that session.) The following summer he went as a hmmm, can't remember what his title was but a junior staff person. (This is that session.) After that session, Tinkering School offered for him to come back this last summer as staff. He considered it but then he got an internship in developing computer software. 

There are lots of options for kids that don't want to go to a four year college. :)

SewWhat?

All that describes my 18ds except the ADD.

He was apathetic about going to college up through the first couple days of being in! But, now he's been a couple weeks and seems to really like it. :) He lives at home...

I wasn't sure what was going to happen really. Starting about his Jr year in high school he started to not care about much of anything and any college stuff was done only because I made him. He chose which colleges he wanted to apply for, but the actual applying wasn't done because he decided to do it! It was because there was a deadline and I made him meet the deadline. Even the getting of his books for college was done because I made him come with me just days before class started. He had no clue what to do and didn't really care. 

But, now he's settled in and realizes college is NOT high school!

4arrows

Sounds like Marine-boy's behavior.  Honestly, he needed a few years out of school before he decided that he wanted to go to college.  When he was in high school, he had no interest at all.  After 3 years in the Marines, then a couple of years working, he went back to school, and he will graduate next May (on the Dean's List!).  

There may be a big jump in maturity over the next few years, or it may take longer.  If he decided to work for a few years, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Sometimes working those dead-end jobs is what it takes to convince a teen that maybe college or trade school isn't such a bad idea after all.  Sunshine was very adamant about not going to college.  She graduated in May and wanted nothing to do with college this fall.  Okey-dokey.  She got a job at a daycare that was a bottom-of-the-barrel place with no discipline or structure.  After that experience, she happened to hear of a high quality daycare that she would like to work at, but they require at least 3 credits of a child development course at college.  That's all it took for her to decide that maybe she should go to college.  It was too late for this semester, but she's got plans to go next semester.   I'm glad to see that her turnaround time was a lot faster than her brother's.  

Does your ds have a goal for college?  Something that he wants to study that he's passionate about?  That might help make college seem more attractive, too.

ajbmom

Thanks for the feedback.  Might just take a little longer for him.  

Yes, he enjoys making/building/tinkering.  He attended the Blacksmithing/Welding Camp through Landry Academy this summer and LOVED it.  In fact, when he left, they gifted to him an electric welding machine and face mask.  I was so surprised, but we are assuming it's because he showed such a high level of interest in the welding.  

He says he wants to go to college.  He has mentioned engineering.  I'm not really sure if it's because he really wants to go to college, or if it's because we've raised him to believe that college is just a given...the next step after high school.  His father and I both have advanced degrees, and so this has really always been our position.  Also, his ACT and SAT practice scores right now are good enough to get into several universities. BUT, I've come to the realization that these things are not enough if the motivation and work ethic are not there.  

Edited by ajbmom

ajbmom

Also, I am looking into a 10-day "camp" at a Christian university for next summer.  He'd actually stay on campus, participate in campus activities, and also take a college class for 1/2 credit.  It looks to be sort of a recruiting tool for the college.  Since he's a visual/hands on kid, maybe he needs to actually experience a taste of college life to motivate him.  

SewWhat?

Sounds like Marine-boy's behavior.  Honestly, he needed a few years out of school before he decided that he wanted to go to college.  When he was in high school, he had no interest at all.  After 3 years in the Marines, then a couple of years working, he went back to school, and he will graduate next May (on the Dean's List!).  

There may be a big jump in maturity over the next few years, or it may take longer.  If he decided to work for a few years, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Sometimes working those dead-end jobs is what it takes to convince a teen that maybe college or trade school isn't such a bad idea after all.  Sunshine was very adamant about not going to college.  She graduated in May and wanted nothing to do with college this fall.  Okey-dokey.  She got a job at a daycare that was a bottom-of-the-barrel place with no discipline or structure.  After that experience, she happened to hear of a high quality daycare that she would like to work at, but they require at least 3 credits of a child development course at college.  That's all it took for her to decide that maybe she should go to college.  It was too late for this semester, but she's got plans to go next semester.   I'm glad to see that her turnaround time was a lot faster than her brother's.  

Does your ds have a goal for college?  Something that he wants to study that he's passionate about?  That might help make college seem more attractive, too.

Our Navyboy had zero interest in college until this year, he is 26yo and 6y into the Navy.

I suspect it is mainly because his fiancee is encouraging him to go, but whatever the reason he actually began classes this summer :) He hopes to be well into a degree so he can put in for officer package. If he can get officer he will enlist for a 3rd time (he is 1 1/2y into his 2nd enlistment.) If he can't, he will leave the Navy. He doesn't want to have to continue on sub rotation. As it is he may have to be on sub again in about 2y for another 2y (this enlistment is 5y.) But, he said he 'may' get to apply for officer before he has that next sub rotation. So, we'll see ;)

He's currently taking a couple classes to get him finished on a general ed AS since the military gives SO many credits. (he's a cook for his job plus diver certified)

Then, he'll be going for his BS in nursing. His fiancee has her AS in nursing and plans to go up to nurse practitioner. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Might just take a little longer for him.  

Yes, he enjoys making/building/tinkering.  He attended the Blacksmithing/Welding Camp through Landry Academy this summer and LOVED it.  In fact, when he left, they gifted to him an electric welding machine and face mask.  I was so surprised, but we are assuming it's because he showed such a high level of interest in the welding.  

He says he wants to go to college.  He has mentioned engineering.  I'm not really sure if it's because he really wants to go to college, or if it's because we've raised him to believe that college is just a given...the next step after high school.  His father and I both have advanced degrees, and so this has really always been our position.  Also, his ACT and SAT practice scores right now are good enough to get into several universities. BUT, I've come to the realization that these things are not enough if the motivation and work ethic are not there.  

Maybe you can just start throwing in a few lines here and there that college isn't for everyone, trade school is just fine. Many tradesman make WAY more than folks with college degrees! My dh is a diesel mechanic and makes at least as much as my brother doing safety with an engineering degree. And, he never went to school. He taught himself. Though, it might be harder these days to get a job without a certificate from a trade school than it was for my dh 25y ago.

I think saying that to 18ds actually really helped relax him on the idea of GOING to college. Just knowing that no matter what he chose we'd be ok with it. There wasn't SUCH a push for college college college. As parents we just want our kids to be happy, and if that means no college then, no college is fine. Just tell him that he should pursue what he WANTS to in whatever path will best lead to that outcome. If he loves welding well, be the best welder you can be.

Or as our pastor puts it, be the best welder for God that you can be. 

The world isn't only made up of college graduates. Someone has to scrub the toilets.

Edited by SewWhat?
  • Like 1

Bendxap

I like your way of handling it!

4arrows

Our Navyboy had zero interest in college until this year, he is 26yo and 6y into the Navy.

I suspect it is mainly because his fiancee is encouraging him to go, but whatever the reason he actually began classes this summer :) He hopes to be well into a degree so he can put in for officer package. If he can get officer he will enlist for a 3rd time (he is 1 1/2y into his 2nd enlistment.) If he can't, he will leave the Navy. He doesn't want to have to continue on sub rotation. As it is he may have to be on sub again in about 2y for another 2y (this enlistment is 5y.) But, he said he 'may' get to apply for officer before he has that next sub rotation. So, we'll see ;)

He's currently taking a couple classes to get him finished on a general ed AS since the military gives SO many credits. (he's a cook for his job plus diver certified)

Then, he'll be going for his BS in nursing. His fiancee has her AS in nursing and plans to go up to nurse practitioner. 

Maybe you can just start throwing in a few lines here and there that college isn't for everyone, trade school is just fine. Many tradesman make WAY more than folks with college degrees! My dh is a diesel mechanic and makes at least as much as my brother doing safety with an engineering degree. And, he never went to school. He taught himself. Though, it might be harder these days to get a job without a certificate from a trade school than it was for my dh 25y ago.

I think saying that to 18ds actually really helped relax him on the idea of GOING to college. Just knowing that no matter what he chose we'd be ok with it. There wasn't SUCH a push for college college college. As parents we just want our kids to be happy, and if that means no college then, no college is fine. Just tell him that he should pursue what he WANTS to in whatever path will best lead to that outcome. If he loves welding well, be the best welder you can be.

Or as our pastor puts it, be the best welder for God that you can be. 

The world isn't only made up of college graduates. Someone has to scrub the toilets.

Definitely agree with college not being the only option.  I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe and I will support whatever my kids want to go into.  As long as it is something that can support them and they enjoy it and there are jobs out there in that field, then go for it!  Marine-boy is getting his degree in Auto Maintenance, and may go on to add the Diesel component to it.  He's always liked doing things with his hands, and he's really enjoying his classes, which is why he's on the Dean's List.  If he was taking a lot of academic stuff that he deemed non-essential, not much would motivate my strong-willed boy to do well on those.

Princess wants to train wild animals.  There's no college degree for that!  She did get her AA, but there's really no point in going on for a Bachelor's degree.  She got a job at Sight & Sound Theatre in Branson on the deck crew, shifting scenery around.  They know she wants to work in the animal department, so they gave her the track that deals with the animals the most, and she also spends a little time working in the animal department.  There's an opening for animal handler, and she interviewed for that a few weeks ago.  She'll have to work her way into the training department, but she's willing to do that.

Sunshine wants to work in childcare.  I had mentioned a while back that classes in child development, or an AA degree in Early Childhood might be advantageous to her and help her get better jobs in the field, but she wanted nothing to do with that.  She really needed to experience what is out there for people without degrees before she could be convinced otherwise.  

• Like 1

4arrows

I like your way of handling it!

I do happen to be the one who heard about the higher quality daycare and passed the info along to Sunshine.  ;)   I'm still in shock that she actually decided that she wanted to pursue it.  

SewWhat?

Definitely agree with college not being the only option.  I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe and I will support whatever my kids want to go into.  As long as it is something that can support them and they enjoy it and there are jobs out there in that field, then go for it!  Marine-boy is getting his degree in Auto Maintenance, and may go on to add the Diesel component to it.  He's always liked doing things with his hands, and he's really enjoying his classes, which is why he's on the Dean's List.  If he was taking a lot of academic stuff that he deemed non-essential, not much would motivate my strong-willed boy to do well on those.

Princess wants to train wild animals.  There's no college degree for that!  She did get her AA, but there's really no point in going on for a Bachelor's degree.  She got a job at Sight & Sound Theatre in Branson on the deck crew, shifting scenery around.  They know she wants to work in the animal department, so they gave her the track that deals with the animals the most, and she also spends a little time working in the animal department.  There's an opening for animal handler, and she interviewed for that a few weeks ago.  She'll have to work her way into the training department, but she's willing to do that.

Sunshine wants to work in childcare.  I had mentioned a while back that classes in child development, or an AA degree in Early Childhood might be advantageous to her and help her get better jobs in the field, but she wanted nothing to do with that.  She really needed to experience what is out there for people without degrees before she could be convinced otherwise.  

Lots of different paths :)

Sophie wants to be a novelist but she may go to college to get a job she can make money with before her millions start rolling in.... LOL

Bendxap

Lots of different paths :)

Sophie wants to be a novelist but she may go to college to get a job she can make money with before her millions start rolling in.... LOL

Yes, Older's waiting for his millions in photography! When he started college, it was with a declared major of Graphic Design so he'd hopefully be able to make money meanwhile. The nice thing is that his college started a photography minor the year he started there and by the time he finished (three years), they had a photography major, so he ended up with degrees in Graphic Design and Photography. And now he tells me that he mostly doesn't like graphic design.  :agree: Now he's working at ceramics place and just got a raise and a position more suited to what he wants to do (photography and design), and is photographing weddings, family portraits and most anything else on the side. 

SewWhat?

Yes, Older's waiting for his millions in photography! When he started college, it was with a declared major of Graphic Design so he'd hopefully be able to make money meanwhile. The nice thing is that his college started a photography minor the year he started there and by the time he finished (three years), they had a photography major, so he ended up with degrees in Graphic Design and Photography. And now he tells me that he mostly doesn't like graphic design.  :agree: Now he's working at ceramics place and just got a raise and a position more suited to what he wants to do (photography and design), and is photographing weddings, family portraits and most anything else on the side. 

A friend of Sophie's is a junior at the college here (where Christian is a freshman.) She was an elementary ed major, then this year changed it to photography.

I think I don't get why you'd pay THAT much for a degree to take pictures. But, it's not my money.... LOL

ally_cat

If he really enjoyed the welding camp, are there opportunities in welding in your general area? Where we are, the naval shipyard hires for their apprenticeship programs (training you to weld/pipe fit/etc) every year.

doxa

No worries.  Totally normal teen boy behavior.  

I know your son is as sharp as a whip.  He will find his way when he's motivated and ready -- which he will be.  

• Like 1

mathmom-nc

If it helps, my brother was completely unmotivated until about his sophomore year in college---good test scores, but did the minimum amount of work. He had gone to a very non-academic college with no clear goal.  Something happened that year---he looked around and decided that he wanted to do something else with his life.  He (by himself, with no help from parents) applied to a more challenging school, majored in math and computer science, got engaged and now works at Google.   I think I will be dealing with something similar with my DS9... =) 

Thanks, all, for your perspectives.

ajbmom
On 9/10/2016 at 8:36 PM, SewWhat? said:

All that describes my 18ds except the ADD.

He was apathetic about going to college up through the first couple days of being in! But, now he's been a couple weeks and seems to really like it. :) He lives at home...

I wasn't sure what was going to happen really. Starting about his Jr year in high school he started to not care about much of anything and any college stuff was done only because I made him. He chose which colleges he wanted to apply for, but the actual applying wasn't done because he decided to do it! It was because there was a deadline and I made him meet the deadline. Even the getting of his books for college was done because I made him come with me just days before class started. He had no clue what to do and didn't really care. 

But, now he's settled in and realizes college is NOT high school!

Revisiting this thread and wonder how your kiddo is doing?

On 9/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, ajbmom said:

Also, I am looking into a 10-day "camp" at a Christian university for next summer.  He'd actually stay on campus, participate in campus activities, and also take a college class for 1/2 credit.  It looks to be sort of a recruiting tool for the college.  Since he's a visual/hands on kid, maybe he needs to actually experience a taste of college life to motivate him.  

Our story has not changed in terms of motivation, but he did attend this program and got a 93 in his photography class.  That gives me a glimmer of hope.  We've scheduled a few more college visits.  When they asked him about a possible major or area of interest, he said Psychology.  Hmmm, news to me.  I think it's because he found the Myers textbook so interesting and was able to pass the CLEP without any other prep than just reading the textbook.  At the same time, he asked them to see the Engineering Lab.  So, I'm sort of wondering if the lack of motivation is not really lack of motivation, but rather not interested in discussing any of it with mom.  He's trying his darnedest to separate from me. :( 

SewWhat?
1 hour ago, ajbmom said:

Revisiting this thread and wonder how your kiddo is doing?

Thanks for asking!

It was a whirlwind year for him. His first semester of college ended ok, but his depression and anxiety  (for which he actually got meds for 1/2 through the semester) mixed with a needy girlfriend he met at college turned things downward. His 2nd semester was a disaster. He ended up dropping 1/2 through the semester. His girlfriend broke up with him, then asked him back. Then the relationship was still on a negative vibe and he finally realized it for himself and ended it for good. Looking back he realizes that he would have done fine in college if it weren't for that relationship.

But too, he thinks college IS still just light high school. Cliques. People there who don't really want to be there to learn. He gets pretty disgusted with people who don't like to learn.

However, we believe all things are for God's will. He now is on the path to enter the Navy like his older brother, who is on his 2nd enlistment. He passed the ASVAB with 95/99! His recruiter office hadn't seen a number that high. He was still unsure if this was God's path for him... Then he took the DLAB, which is a language aptitude test, since he'd really want to enter the translation program. He scored 116, a score which that testing office hadn't seen. So, he realized this is his path and we're about 1/2 through all the inprocessing paperwork garbage. Older son's wedding is Oct 28th, so we already told his recruiter that he's not going to bootcamp till after that. They said that was fine. 

He's MUCH less stressed now going into the Navy than he was going into college.

So, he only went to college 1 1/2 semesters... but we don't see it as failure or anything. Everything you do in life is a lesson to you.j

ETA: His recruiter was impressed with the scores! He said well, I guess you mom must have done good in homeschooling. LOL!! Actually, he pretty much schooled himself with some input from me. He's a smart kid who loves to read.

Edited by SewWhat?
  • Like 4

Gilead

Glad to hear he found direction. FYI, I sent my son to community college @ 16 because he was being so difficult and uncooperative @ home. He flourished. Got his AA and a certificate. Found a couple professors he connected with well, some study buddies, and decided he wasn't quitting after the AA (which was what we had required of him). Transferred to local state U and just graduated this past May magna cum laude. He's still working at his zipline tour job, as it pays so well, but is putting applications out for what he wants -- marketing/communications/pr/social media.

He just needed a much bigger pond than at home and some outside mentors whose expertise he respected.

• Like 2

ajbmom
On 7/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, SewWhat? said:

Thanks for asking!

It was a whirlwind year for him. His first semester of college ended ok, but his depression and anxiety  (for which he actually got meds for 1/2 through the semester) mixed with a needy girlfriend he met at college turned things downward. His 2nd semester was a disaster. He ended up dropping 1/2 through the semester. His girlfriend broke up with him, then asked him back. Then the relationship was still on a negative vibe and he finally realized it for himself and ended it for good. Looking back he realizes that he would have done fine in college if it weren't for that relationship.

But too, he thinks college IS still just light high school. Cliques. People there who don't really want to be there to learn. He gets pretty disgusted with people who don't like to learn.

However, we believe all things are for God's will. He now is on the path to enter the Navy like his older brother, who is on his 2nd enlistment. He passed the ASVAB with 95/99! His recruiter office hadn't seen a number that high. He was still unsure if this was God's path for him... Then he took the DLAB, which is a language aptitude test, since he'd really want to enter the translation program. He scored 116, a score which that testing office hadn't seen. So, he realized this is his path and we're about 1/2 through all the inprocessing paperwork garbage. Older son's wedding is Oct 28th, so we already told his recruiter that he's not going to bootcamp till after that. They said that was fine. 

He's MUCH less stressed now going into the Navy than he was going into college.

So, he only went to college 1 1/2 semesters... but we don't see it as failure or anything. Everything you do in life is a lesson to you.j

ETA: His recruiter was impressed with the scores! He said well, I guess you mom must have done good in homeschooling. LOL!! Actually, he pretty much schooled himself with some input from me. He's a smart kid who loves to read.

This sounds like BIG success to me! :) 

SewWhat?
3 hours ago, ajbmom said:

This sounds like BIG success to me! :) 

As long as he finished the inprocessing for the Navy... LOL He's over the biggest tests! But he's got a teeny hole in his eardrum even after a few tries at fixing it, so we'll see if he gets flagged for it. If so, we'll apply for a waiver.

My other Navy son said the only thing they do in bootcamp in water is jump off a 15ft pier and get to the other end of the pool, and do a 2min floating test.

• Like 2

Momof4JackAttacks

Every kid is so different. Oldest ds21 is smart and motivated. He has two more college classes left then he's done.  Second ds19 graduated from high school last year (2016), He said he was sick of school and needed some time off. He worked almost full time between two jobs for a year. He then applied to Moody Bible Institute in Chicago to study linguistics.  We dropped him off this past Wed. for freshman orientation and starts classes this Monday.

Third ds16 dislikes school, has no desire to go to college, doesn't know what he wants to do other than play soccer.  He is pretty smart though and is my socialite. I could see him going to a tech school sometime, possibly carpentry or electronics, but right now he has no motivation or interest in college.  I really like Mike Rowe's encouragement for people to get into the trades. There are so many openings in the trades.

Fourth ds13 wants to be a Green Bay Packer player.:)

Edited by Momof4JackAttacks
  • Like 3