Sign in to follow this  
TinkerKell

Getting Into Veterinary School and Through it.....

TinkerKell

as debt-free as possible?

My dd wants to be a veterinarian. She is currently working toward a 2 year degree as a vet tech at cc, which we can likely handle debt free with scholarships.

The next step is to transfer to a state university (guaranteed admission and 65 credit transfer) for a BS in Allied Health. Unless she gets scholarships, student loans will happen.

From there, she is facing a VERY competitive entrance to Veterinary school, which is more more competitive than getting into med school because there are not as many vet programs out there. Assuming she is accepted, we are looking into ways to have her studies be as debt-free as possible. Is it realistic to think she may work (with her vet tech certification and BS) at a place that offers tuition help in the field? Are there scholarships for vet school? They appear to be few and far between. Are any other SL grads aiming for Veterinary Medicine, and what are his/her plans for selecting degrees, school choice, and financing this education?

texasmomtothree

We are not as far along as you in this process but my dd wants to do the same as yours. From what I have heard so far, since veterinary school is so competitive there are not many scholarships. I have never heard of tuition help from working for a veterinarian. I think a best case scenario is that she could work as a vet tech and use that money to finance grad school and then take out loans to cover the rest. 

Texas only has one veterinary school so my daughter is planning on applying there so costs would be cheaper in state. It is highly competitive though so not sure if she will get in. We have looked at what prerequisites are required to apply there though and will make sure she takes all those in undergrad. There is a pretty extensive list for Texas A&M prerequisites! There is even 1 course on animal nutrition that is not offered at most universities and she will have to take it as a  correspondence course on her own. She is hoping to work as a vet tech as well to cover some of the costs.

TinkerKell

It *is* very competitive because there are far fewer vet schools than med schools. My dd's short list of considerations so far is Univ of MD/VA, Univ of FL, and Cornell. We are East Coast, so I am encouraging Univ of PA and Ohio State to the mix. I remind myself that she is a freshman and may change her mind within the next few years, but time will tell.

Since she will have her vet tech certification (assuming--even that is a VERY competitive program in her high ranking cc)and a BS in Allied Health, I do hope there would be a way for her to work while attending vet school.

Sign in to follow this