Journeymom

What did you do with your books?

Journeymom

Now that they're beyond High School what do you all you have accumulated? I'm at a loss whether to sell, keep or donate 11 years of Sonlight. We will be moving back to U.S. soon. There would be no cost to shipping most of it back, but maybe it is time to let it go. What is you opinion?

Bendxap

I have a terrible time getting rid of books. Fortunately I'm in charge of a children's library here so that helps control my addiction somewhat! So I'd probably keep them.

Many of our colleagues have either donated or sold their books to others here in the community since it's a blessing to the receiver/buyer not to have to haul books down from the US. (Even though where we are is drive-able from the US, the security people prefer that we fly because of the problems at the border. Which cuts down significantly how how many books you can bring. And that's true, too, of course, for people coming to visit who are willing to bring books.)

Sorry not to be the least bit of help!  B)

my cup of tea & me

Well, we ended up adopting and have a now two year old.  He will get to use all of our old cores.   If we hadn't started over like that, then I expect we'd still be keeping them for our grandchildren.   I don't know for sure that my children will choose to homeschool, but I want to have our "family treasures" ready just in case.   Besides that dd19 will sometimes go pick a favorite childhood book to reread at a certain time of year.  

It is really a deeply personal decision!   I adore books and some may see them as clutter, but I see them as décor! 

• Like 2

Heritage of Sons

No cost to shipping them back?!?!  (we lived overseas and the was a great cost involved in shipping books home -- I still did it!)

I'd probably end up keeping most of them!

Asking sonlighters about getting rid of books might not help you much.  I don't think you will get unbiased responses!

• Like 3

Hunny

As my youngest is finished with the cores, I keep my favorites and sell or give away the rest. 

Helent

We have been selling our unused/finished books on Amazon. It has been working out well.

jtjsrj

At no cost to ship them back, I'd definitely be keeping a good majority of the SL books!  It's getting harder to find great literature at our local library.

Derf

KEEP....we have a wonderful library in our house now...MUCH better than the local one which we have to DRIVE a ways to get to and then remember to return them and worry if the dog would eat them as I have one that is good at such things. WOW   what a sentence!   Marne

RV Mom

As I had only 1 child we sold, gifted and donated all our books. We had hoped in the beginning to have a great library but with tablets we don't need to keep physical books so much now. 

• Like 1

Merry

Asking sonlighters about getting rid of books might not help you much.  I don't think you will get unbiased responses!

LOL, isn't that the truth!

We kept any literature or biography that was a favorite here. That means we kept a lot of books...

For History, we kept books that were less likely to go out of date (such as a specialty book on a certain person or place or event), but sold books that are likely to be updated (most history spine texts, "curriculum" and the like)

For Science, we kept books we loved and still refer to often, but got rid of those that were "curriculum." I have two science lovers (dd and dh), or I would have kept even less. I don't think science books can be saved for grandchildren, because they get dated so quickly, but they are still referred to by science-lovers now, and that made some worth keeping. So, we kept things like "The Way Things Work" which will surely be updated but is a fun and useful resource, but didn't keep things like "Apologia Chemistry," if that helps. I did, however, keep Magic School Bus for grands. Who doesn't love those?!

• Like 1

Journeymom

Thanks for your great and much appreciated responses. I've been gathering and sorting today.