flowergirl159

Self education or earn a degree?

flowergirl159

So I have a few friends who have begun a UNI/College degree while homeschooling their kids. Looking ahead at entering the workforce once the homeschooling days are over. What do other mothers do? I'm not sure if I want to commit to doing a degree, even though it would be kind of fun. I have found that lately I having more chunks of time free, so I have been using that for reading. I am reading so much now and loving it! Is there anyway we can earn a credit or qualification for actual homeschooling? lol Just wondering if its best to continue enjoying reading good books, and think about work years down the track, or perhaps begin a course and see where it takes me. I sort of want to be sure that all this reading is actually helping me :)

Heritage of Sons

So I have a few friends who have begun a UNI/College degree while homeschooling their kids. Looking ahead at entering the workforce once the homeschooling days are over. What do other mothers do? I'm not sure if I want to commit to doing a degree, even though it would be kind of fun. I have found that lately I having more chunks of time free, so I have been using that for reading. I am reading so much now and loving it! Is there anyway we can earn a credit or qualification for actual homeschooling? lol Just wondering if its best to continue enjoying reading good books, and think about work years down the track, or perhaps begin a course and see where it takes me. I sort of want to be sure that all this reading is actually helping me :)

You can study on your own and then take a CLEP exam which could go toward a degree in the future.

Here's a link to a thread where I mention CLEP exams (and link to a website with a list/description of them):

https://forums.sonlight.com/topic/358218-apologia-physical-science-for-7th-grader/?view=findpost&p=4753451

ETA: OOPs -- You are not in the US, are you? :) -- you may have to see if there is some equivalent where you are.

Edited by Heritage of Sons

polarbearla

Your kids are pretty young to be thinking about after homeschooling. I would focus on where you are right now. Who knows what you will do when homeschooling is done. There are ample things to do that are not just entering the workforce. There is lots of volunteering opportunities. I keep thinking how our churches and other social groups like Boy Scouts and American Heritage Girls and Homeschool Groups are just so dependent on families with young kids to do the work and it's so challenging for these families to raise their children and volunteer in these organizations. I think a wonderful thing for a mom to do when her homeschool is done is to volunteer for some of these things and take the weight off younger families. There is so much Lord's work that this world needs I think limiting oneself to a mere job is not necessarily the best route. Obviously if a family needs money that is different, but if a family doesn't need the extra money there are just so many things a woman can do to help out other families, churches and our community. 

flowergirl159

Hmm,  okay thanks! Good to know about CLEP, will look into that further for Australia :)

Yes my children are young and I don't want to miss out on my time with them :) There are a lot of options for women to 'fill in their days' once the children are older. But I need to keep finances in mind, as that may be the only reason to enter the workforce again. 

Thanks for the ideas :)

luvmyguys

I'm heading toward the end of my homeschooling, so I am looking toward re-entering the workforce in a few years (what one person calls "relaunching").  My husband is a bit older than I am, and he has worked so hard to make sure that we could homeschool. I want to take some of the weight off of him so that he can retire a little sooner.  That, and he's a cancer survivor, so I do want to make sure that I *can* relaunch if something were to happen to him.  (So yeah, he worked that hard while in chemo.  I want to do this for him.)

I have a bachelor's, but want to go in a completely different direction, so I am looking at master's level programs in what I want to do.  This has a few advantages.  First, it tells employers that I'm serious about the direction I want to take (one of the concerns of those re-entering the workforce), and it also allows me to network a little more effectively for the field I choose.  So I think there is value to committing to a degree.  However, if you are unsure about direction, there are lots of MOOC's (Massive Open Online Courses) that you can take, either for free or for a very nominal fee, to help you decide a direction.

Little Women

Given that you have quite a bit of time, it seems to me that it makes sense to take some of that time to look around and see what you are interested in.  When you look around for the next book to read, are them some that make you think, "yay, another book about X!"?    That would be an area you have more interest in.  :)     

When I started thinking about this, I really had no idea what I might be interested in.  I had a few things I knew I did NOT want to do, but it took me several years to figure out what I would really like to do.   I already have a college degree, so that helps, of course, but this is a different field from what I studied before--I wouldn't have known I was interested in this at that time.   

So I would say give it some time, look around, think about what you are interested in, and let yourself enjoy the learning you are doing--it will all come in useful at some point in the future, no matter where you end up, but you will also get a chance to see what you gravitate towards most.

• Like 1

mominindia

I've gone back to college through online classes and I'm now working toward my Master's degree. I still have about 8-9 years of homeschool left - so I don't have to rush through to get a degree! I'm earning it leisurely in a way that doesn't make me too stressed to do family life and homeschool. I'm absolutely loving it! And it feels great to look forward to life after homeschool - and not be worried about what I'll do.