ericaciel

Down Syndrome and Sonlight

ericaciel

I'm looking for other families who have used Sonlight with their child who has Down Syndrome.  I have a 5 year old who currently attends public pre-k.  She will attend public kindergarten in the fall.  I am looking to supplement at home using Sonlight.  She's very limited verbally but understands a lot.  She also struggles with her fine motor skills....she still does not write any letters or draw any shapes.  I've been tossing around the idea of using the Pre-K program with her over the summer to try and bridge the long summer gap until Kindergarten starts.  Has anyone else used the Pre-K program with the child with Down Syndrome?  DId you like it?  Are there any suggestions you could make?  

NCBlueberry

I can't exactly answer your question, but kind of can. My 8 year old has a different genetic syndrome and therefore different learning issues. She is in public school 1st grade and I supplement at home and over the summer. I found that it was very challenging to use a structured program with her. For us it works to use the Sonlight program for the good books and learning games it includes but the schedule was useless. I've learned to stick with the basics with my dd. I read her things she's interested in. We play games to review phonics and reading. We use inchimals, links, colored shapes, the pattern blocks from Sonlight, etc for math activities. My daughter needs insane amounts of review before she 'gets' things. Anyway, I mostly just posted to bump this thread for you. ;-) Hopefully someone with experience will chime in soon.

Suzanne HD in FL

I agree about staying with basic skills. I would keep her in pre K another year. My handicapped granddaughter went two years to pre K and a year to Montessori K then was homeschooled. Learn about Montessori type materials.  Best wishes.