kkimbrell

is this normal and what to do if it's not

kkimbrell

So I have an 8yo boy--who just turned 8-- and I'm concerned that he may have some learning challenges but have no idea what to do next. Reading has always been a struggle. I've never had him tested, but I'd say he's reading at about a 1st grade level. I say this because he cannot read SL2 readers yet, and still is sounding out words in SL1 readers (like Dr. Suess ones). He'd finished all the grade one ETC and even some 1/2 books. We were working on ETC 5 but he got really frustrated with the heavy reading pages so we stopped and went onto Abeka readers someone gave me level 1. They are easier for him with no frustration. I have seen him make progress over the years, it's just so slow. I keep waiting for that point when his reading takes off, but ever since he was 5 and we began with CVC words it's been a slow yet steady incremental progress. We work on reading all year long, and when I push him to add more to the routine, he gets frustrated and complains. I guess I'm just wondering if this is still in the range of normal, or do we need to start looking into some kind of testing. If so, I don't even know what I'm looking for or where I'd get this done? I've heard boys can take longer, yet I don't want to put off a problem. Math is fine for him, even maybe above level and we are working on Core B, which he loves. He listens very well for read alouds and has good reading comprehension. I'm also looking down the road in 18 mo. when we do Core D and want him to be able to do the readers himself. 

Thanks for any insight. 

Edited by kkimbrell

Countrymom9

I would have him tested. He may be fine, but if he is dyslexic, the sooner you begin remediation, the fewer residual problems he'll have. Please, though, find a licensed professional either through your ps system if they will do that for homeschoolers or independently. If you take him to someplace like Kaplan or Sylvan, they have a financial incentive to find a problem, and I have heard that this happens sometimes if not often.

• Like 1

Merry

This Dyslexia Resources page has some helpful reports and articles. A lot of the teaching ideas are helpful for a variety of struggles. 

AKAM
On 4/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, kkimbrell said:

So I have an 8yo boy--who just turned 8-- and I'm concerned that he may have some learning challenges but have no idea what to do next. Reading has always been a struggle. I've never had him tested, but I'd say he's reading at about a 1st grade level. I say this because he cannot read SL2 readers yet, and still is sounding out words in SL1 readers (like Dr. Suess ones). He'd finished all the grade one ETC and even some 1/2 books. We were working on ETC 5 but he got really frustrated with the heavy reading pages so we stopped and went onto Abeka readers someone gave me level 1. They are easier for him with no frustration. I have seen him make progress over the years, it's just so slow. I keep waiting for that point when his reading takes off, but ever since he was 5 and we began with CVC words it's been a slow yet steady incremental progress. We work on reading all year long, and when I push him to add more to the routine, he gets frustrated and complains. I guess I'm just wondering if this is still in the range of normal, or do we need to start looking into some kind of testing. If so, I don't even know what I'm looking for or where I'd get this done? I've heard boys can take longer, yet I don't want to put off a problem. Math is fine for him, even maybe above level and we are working on Core B, which he loves. He listens very well for read alouds and has good reading comprehension. I'm also looking down the road in 18 mo. when we do Core D and want him to be able to do the readers himself. 

Thanks for any insight. 

I could have written this same post.   My son struggled with reading.   My oldest son learned to read when he was 4 and took off in reading.  When my youngest was 4 I started him on Hooked on Phonics like I did with my older son.   He didn't get it.  Then over the next few years, I tried every reading program that was ever made.  My son finally learned to read when he was 8.  I was using All About Reading at the time.  I am not sure if I finally found the right program or he was just ready.  I also wondered if he was dyslexic but I never had him tested.  

My son is now 12 and is reading great.  He can pretty much read anything I give him.  (Sounding out words I mean-  he wouldn't understand vocabulary that he doesn't know).   I slowed way down on the cores through A & B because he couldn't read.  I pretty much stopped LA because he couldn't read.   I wanted to just focus on getting him to read, at the same time I had to tell myself that he would read when he was ready.    He finally started reading when we were in B and then we took a long time to get through C as his reading developed.       He is now doing Core D & E combined.  I only chose the combined core because of his age.  (I prefer to do cores as they are)   He is doing wonderful with it.     At the beginning of the year, I looked at all the readers and thought "He won't be able to read all of these so I will read some to him."    He wants to read them all himself.   It has been an amazing year in homeschooling with him.  One that I have been waiting for.  Sitting on the couch as my son reads chapter books aloud is music to my ears.     This will also be the first time that we are going to do a core in a year.  We will be moving on to Core F in the fall and I am confident that he is ready to handle it.     

There were times when I thought we would never have smooth home schooling with this child and now it is here.  

Regarding getting your son tested, I don't know the answer to that.  I would say just pray about it.  

I hope that I have encouraged you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.   

kkimbrell
9 hours ago, AKAM said:

I could have written this same post.   My son struggled with reading.   My oldest son learned to read when he was 4 and took off in reading.  When my youngest was 4 I started him on Hooked on Phonics like I did with my older son.   He didn't get it.  Then over the next few years, I tried every reading program that was ever made.  My son finally learned to read when he was 8.  I was using All About Reading at the time.  I am not sure if I finally found the right program or he was just ready.  I also wondered if he was dyslexic but I never had him tested.  

My son is now 12 and is reading great.  He can pretty much read anything I give him.  (Sounding out words I mean-  he wouldn't understand vocabulary that he doesn't know).   I slowed way down on the cores through A & B because he couldn't read.  I pretty much stopped LA because he couldn't read.   I wanted to just focus on getting him to read, at the same time I had to tell myself that he would read when he was ready.    He finally started reading when we were in B and then we took a long time to get through C as his reading developed.       He is now doing Core D & E combined.  I only chose the combined core because of his age.  (I prefer to do cores as they are)   He is doing wonderful with it.     At the beginning of the year, I looked at all the readers and thought "He won't be able to read all of these so I will read some to him."    He wants to read them all himself.   It has been an amazing year in homeschooling with him.  One that I have been waiting for.  Sitting on the couch as my son reads chapter books aloud is music to my ears.     This will also be the first time that we are going to do a core in a year.  We will be moving on to Core F in the fall and I am confident that he is ready to handle it.     

There were times when I thought we would never have smooth home schooling with this child and now it is here.  

Regarding getting your son tested, I don't know the answer to that.  I would say just pray about it.  

I hope that I have encouraged you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.   

thank you for sharing. can you tell me how you think AAR is different than others? I hear it recommended a lot, yet, it's quite pricey. I'm willing to get it if it will help, but I'm like you--have several cheaper options I've been working from and so don't really want to invest in another unless it has something that we don't have already. 

Merry

All About Reading is Orton-Gillingham based, which is a proven method for helping students with dyslexia, and is also very helpful for other learning struggles. Compared to other OG programs, it's actually not as expensive as some (and definitely cheaper than private tutoring). I wish it had been out when mine were learning to read--it's what we really needed. They do have a money-back guarantee though, so if you decide to try it and don't feel it's a good fit, you can return it, even used.

• Like 2

kkimbrell
14 hours ago, Merry said:

All About Reading is Orton-Gillingham based, which is a proven method for helping students with dyslexia, and is also very helpful for other learning struggles. Compared to other OG programs, it's actually not as expensive as some (and definitely cheaper than private tutoring). I wish it had been out when mine were learning to read--it's what we really needed. They do have a money-back guarantee though, so if you decide to try it and don't feel it's a good fit, you can return it, even used.

thank you Merry! I will have a read through this. Have you heard of Dancing Bears? If so, any thoughts on that one?

Heritage of Sons

another vote for All About reading!  (It's totally worth the price!)

Merry
10 hours ago, kkimbrell said:

thank you Merry! I will have a read through this. Have you heard of Dancing Bears? If so, any thoughts on that one?

I've heard of it but haven't been able to see it. It's a British program, if that makes a difference. I read a thread on WTM awhile back about beer-drinking in the stories--it started with a discussion about the "fast track" book but apparently the regular one includes that too, so you may want to pre-read samples online to see what you think. 

Happy to be Me

Please have him tested. You need to know if there is something going on.

• Like 1

Hunny

My oldest took a while to learn to read, a lot like your son.  He was 7 before he could blend cvc words and still sounded things out at age 8.  He finally took off at age 9 and has been at least 1-2 grade levels ahead in reading ever since.