Sign in to follow this  
nitro

Tree of Life for Grade 8

nitro

I am going to miss Sonlight but we will be doing Tree of Life "What's the Big Idea 2" for Grade 8. I thought about it last year and went with Sonlight G instead. I love Sonlight but It think TOL has a more manageable reading load. I am also looking forward to the evaluations. My little one ( going into grade 1 ) is a more hands on learner so I'm thinking Sonlight may not be a good fit for her. :( Sad to be leaving though......

• Like 1

mimosa

Wow, I'd like to hear about it as you go through it. I looked at it too, and I thought it would way to academic for my grade 8 son. I am not doing Sonlight next year either. But it would be fun to start a discussion group for those working on Canadian stuff.

I would have liked to do Core 100 with Reuben integrating Canada, but I find that tricky to work in. Sigh.

Anyway, Reuben (14.5) is scheduled to do a history for Canada online course with WISDOM Homeschooling, so they will doing Socratic dialogue. I am excited about that!! I am interested in the Canadian and world geography that Tree of Life puts out, but they are using Bob Jones...how they incorporate Canadian, I wouldn't know. But I bought a different geography text for R from Donna Ward.

Asher agreed to do the A.C.E. paces. We'll see. I'm striving for independence. And R needs accountability...otherwise, Daddy will send him to school!

The others I am going to do other stuff, mostly whatever DW sells, except that I'll buy it from Heritage Resources. Their service is great.

ME

nitro

I have the curriculum now, I love the way the days are laid out. The reading selections seem a  bit heavy, I hope they will not be too daunting! I wish I had heard about Tree of Life earlier, I would've liked to do the Canadian studies in the Grade 4 & 5 (Level 2 & 3 of small steps). I'm not sure what you mean about using Bob Jones, I don't see anything from Bob Jones on the Tree of Life site?

mimosa

Yes, I think it is heavy on the reading. I have a friend who is using it and loving it, but she was worried about one of her kids starting it. This is what she said, " But my oldest is a voracious reader, and is also quite independent. As long as I look at his manual fortnightly, he stays on top of it. From time to time he tries to pull the wool over my eyes by skipping something he hates (mostly essay writing), so I DO need to check it. I used "What's the Big Idea" LV. 2 for grade 8, and we're about to start the Great Ideas Lv. 1 for grade 9. They just use such EXCELLENT material! My next one down is not nearly as academic as the oldest but has an excellent work ethic. I am a little dubious about how it will go but I plan to start her on the "What's the Big Idea Lv 1" for grade 7. She's not as strong a reader, so I plan to use as many audio book versions as I can find, to change it up a bit and so she can keep up".  I think I also remember telling me that it was a bit of adjustment, but her kids were rising up to the occasion.

When The Learning House came to my city for their two-day event that they have every June, I purposefully went to look at the book that they use for Geography of Canada and the World. It is a book that has a synopsis of all the areas and many of the countries. And I found that it's actually a BJU textbook that is designed for Grade 9, where as when I looked at the Geography of Canada from Donna Ward, it was an actual Canadian Geography textbook. But of course, the former has Christian content. In fact, I think that I think I would consider using that as a spine for Core F, instead of Eastern Hemisphere next go-around.

Yes, I think I wish I had thought things through more thoroughly and looked at all my options. But I like literature, and I liked the schedule. Tree of Life is more of a classical education, and I think I would have liked that too. But now I am trying to create a Canadian core Sonlight-style. On the other hand, I am thinking that I just would like my kids to be independent as early as possible and it might have fostered a more academic spirit. Of which there is none in this house. I've fostered a fun-school mentality and dependency on Mom. Who would have thought that I would reconsider the position of the Maxwells in Managers of Their Schools! But when you're about to teach seven children....and almost dreading it... Except that almost all the history textbooks are American...sigh.

ME

Edited by mimosa

Sign in to follow this