Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Mommy

7th grade Math Curriculum for Dyscalculia

Blessed Mommy

I have a good friend with a sweet 12-year old son that struggles with Dyscalculia.  He used Singapore in the elementary years and that was a struggle.  When he was diagnosed with Dyscalculia, the psychologist recommended Math-u-See. He is finishing his second school year in Math-u-See.  He is midway through MUS Epsilon.  The good news is that there are little to no tears in math anymore.  The bad news is that his test scores are falling more and more.  It seems that although he can accurately complete the work in his lessons in MUS, when he sees a similar problem in a different context (like a standardized test), he struggles to figure out how to do it.  I was a special education teacher long, long ago, and I remember we often had our kids learn how to do math skills in at least two different contexts for this very reason.  Kids with learning disabilities often have a terrible time generalizing skills to other contexts.  So, in the resource room, the child may work on their math from their classroom, but then we would also have them doing math with a separate curriculum that "looked" different to help them develop the cognitive flexibility to solve the problems despite the way they look.  It made a huge difference.  I'm not familiar with math curriculum that are good for kids with Dyscalculia though, and not sure what would be a good supplement to Math-u-See.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Heritage of Sons

What about using Khan Academy? It is definitely a different look/approach/context to MUS -- and...

It is free.

It is easy to pick a topic, one that he is currently working on in MUS.

It gives instant feedback.

(not sure if the fact that it's online is a negative, though.)

Blessed Mommy
14 hours ago, Heritage of Sons said:

What about using Khan Academy? It is definitely a different look/approach/context to MUS -- and...

It is free.

It is easy to pick a topic, one that he is currently working on in MUS.

It gives instant feedback.

(not sure if the fact that it's online is a negative, though.)

Great idea! One of her other sons also supplements with Khan too, so that would help motivate him since his big brother also uses Khan.

Heritage of Sons
10 hours ago, Blessed Mommy said:

Great idea! One of her other sons also supplements with Khan too, so that would help motivate him since his big brother also uses Khan.

We like Khan here.... I just have to keep tabs on my boys that they are using the computer or tablet for that intended purpose!

• Like 1

girlygirl

For us, dyscalculia as well, we tried MUS and it just didn't do the trick. We had better results with Saxon (using the drills daily) for memorization of math facts. We then switched to TT (hoping she would be more independent) which she is doing well with. We take it at her pace. Anything tests below 80% and we repeat the chapter. Ours is more than just dyscalculia though so as much as I would love for her to be independent, she still is not. It helps for me to sit with her as she does math. 

Sign in to follow this