Momof4JackAttacks

Essentials for Dorm life

Momof4JackAttacks

My son is moving in the dorm in August. My oldest lived at home during college, so we never dealt with the dorms. Second ds is going to Moody Bible College in Chicago in the fall. For those who have kids living in college dorms, what were some essentials to have other than the basic stuff like clothes and toiletries? 

• Like 1

slac

Ryan couldn't have slept without a mattress topper.  The mattresses were so thin!  She also used her fan a lot - the dorm rooms got hot and stuffy.  

• Like 1

Moxie1

Mattress topper, coffee maker, dorm fridge

• Like 1

texasmomtothree

Dorm fridge was my best friend in college!

• Like 1

Bendxap

We didn't have the money to buy most of what some parents seem to consider "necessities" (rugs, futons, microwave, fridge, etc) so we were very thankful that both our boys had roommates that were willing to share their "necessities" (esp the microwave and fridge) with our sons.

I think a lot of it depends on your son. Does he like to be organized? Then he might want stuff to make his closet space more organized. Older wanted a bulletin board; Younger was not the least bit interested in one. Older likes to read in bed and so he wanted a reading in bed pillow (what are those called?).

Older wanted some microwaveable food, granola bars, etc. because his food plan was 20 meals a week and he had a lot of flex money but the only food it bought was snacks and coffee sort of stuff. So if he missed a meal at the cafeteria, he still had something to eat. Younger also had 20 meals a week (and could take food, esp fruit, out of the dining room) but his flex money could only be used for food in different eating places around campus. (Yes, he gained a lot of weight. :( He's losing it now that he's living off campus and cooking for himself. :) ) So you might also check on what his food plan will be like as well as if he will have "flex money" (flex money was a completely new concept to me!) and where and how the flex money can be used.

I made a graduation quilt for each of them to take with them to college. I wanted to give them another blanket, too, because they were going from southern Mexico (where our lows in "winter" are in the 50s but no heat in our house) to northern Indiana. Neither of them wanted another blanket and both complained about the dorms being too hot in the winter! Older had his bed up high and would open the window a little in winter!

• Like 3

Moxie1

Dh suggested computer and printer

Bendxap
1 hour ago, Moxie1 said:

Dh suggested computer and printer

Computer, yes, but I would check with the college first about the printer. Neither of my boys needed to have printers. As I remember they could print from college printers and it seems to me they didn't even have to pay for it. Not sure what Younger is doing now that he's off campus.

• Like 1

Moxie1

Check with the school (and students).

Both of my college grads said a printer was essential for them.  During peak times a printer was otherwise not available.  Not good to have access only after the due date has passed.

the geographer

Also check about the printer because Big Sis has turned in a lot of things online. She's mostly used the computer lab printers but sometimes her roommate's. 

It's worked out that she got a microwave, her roommate a fridge. We got her a trash can, desk lamp (that included a usb outlet), ugh, can't remember what else. I know last year we got her a storage footstool that she keeps shoes in. It's small enough to shove under her bed but gives extra seating. She also got a runner rug for by her bed (they have linoleum floors but they didn't want an area rug, I'm guessing vacuuming wasn't on the 'things i want to do list').

I need to think on this more since Little Sis is going away to college. Hopefully she'll know her roommate soon so they can work out things like micro/fridge. 

• Like 1

the geographer

My dd had found her calendar whiteboard invaluable. We got it at Target. She uses it to track her practices (she's on the snowboard team), meetings (for the snowboard team plus she's part of IVCF and on the leadership team), and her very part time job (mentoring) as well as her major projects. She doesn't put her regular class schedule on there except maybe as a note on the bottom. 

Momof4JackAttacks

Such great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

HannahB

Check to see what the college provides.  Dd's room came with a desk lamp. most colleges will also provide a list of what not to bring. Some colleges will not allow things like microwaves in the room. Often the fridges are limited to a certain size or energy  draw. So check before you buy.

dont forget flip-flops for the  shower and something to carry shower stuff in. 

plenty of printers at dd's college, including one in her dorm. 

Id suggest a few school type supplies, some paper clips, stapler etc. Dd once had someone in her class who didn't have any staplers or paper clips to secure her papers. 

Sandwich in Wi

Did you find the list of recommended items to bring to Moody online?  They have one.  I think I deleted it when Daisy decided not to go, but I can help you find it if you're having trouble.

Check with their lists of what is provided and what is allowed before you buy anything.  Some provide microwaves.  Some don't allow them.  The only appliance my dd could have in her room was a microwave.  All others were off limits, including hot pots and rice makers.  My dd's school provided microwaves AND fridges.  Some dorms had AC and others did not.  Some required you to buy a loft kit from the school and other dorms allowed your own. One of her dorms only allowed command strips, the other outlawed those and required small nails. It really varies.

My oldest is a total minimalist, so the things she used the most were two three-drawer plastic things for storage, LOTS of hangers (hardly any dresser space, but lots of closet space), extra blankets.  Power strips!  She has two, because the outlets are inconveniently located.  Extra lighting.  Something for laundry (she prefers a bag to a basket). A bike?  I know they get a transportation pass at Moody.  Binders, stapler, hole-punch, calculator, thumb tacks if they have a bulletin board, loose-leaf paper, pens, pencils, thumb drive or EHD? Computer.  I agree about not getting a printer. Bed lifts if they can't loft (we have some that plug in to the wall and have an outlet on them!

Also quarters if they pay for laundry that way (my dd used her college swipe card), stamps if you think they'll write to you!  My dd needed her own router. Posters or photos to make the room homey.  Towels.  Something to keep his bathroom supplies in.  Also I think a good investment is some cloud storage.  Whatever source he will use.  My dd has a DropBox account, but Amazon and Apple offer cloud storage, too.  He can upload his photos, backup his computer.  Most free storage is only 5GB, which is not enough.

For Moody, more than one nice outfit, I think.  My guess is they get dressed up there more often than most.

Good luck!  I'm still jealous your son is going there and my daughter is not. We register for classes at her school Wednesday. (and y'all know I don't me WE.  I mean SHE.  But I still have to drive her there and I get to go along! ;P )

Blessings, Sandwich

Mazurka
On 6/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, HannahB said:

and something to carry shower stuff in. 

One of my best high school graduation gifts was a plastic bucket with a handle that was full of shower stuff.  

LindaS
On ‎06‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, Mazurka said:

One of my best high school graduation gifts was a plastic bucket with a handle that was full of shower stuff.  

THAT'S what that was for. Seriously, I didn't realize until I read this thread that was the purpose of the plastic purple caddy (filled with towels and washcloths, I might add...hint, hint) that my co-workers gave me when I left for college. I wound up in an end room that had its own bathroom/shower (roommate was the floor monitor, so she got special perks), so I didn't have to worry about carting stuff around. I used the caddy on its side as a bedside table. Bible and books could fit in it, and alarm clock sat on top. It looked pretty cute, actually.  

• Like 2

Bendxap
On 6/19/2017 at 4:03 PM, Sandwich in Wi said:

Check with their lists of what is provided and what is allowed before you buy anything. 

Power strips!  

Also quarters if they pay for laundry that way (my dd used her college swipe card),

Yes, check on what is allowed. One of our sons schools didn't allow power strips and in one school he didn't have to pay for laundry.

lianin

Great ideas! Our dorm didn't allow microwaves, but I found the hot pot invaluable. My aunt gave me a desk organizer with the basics - paper clips, erasers, pencils, stapler, etc. I found it really useful. I loved my shower caddy, but pretty sure my husband (boyfriend at the time, lived in the same dorm, different floor) never used one, ha! One thing I discovered was that it was too hard to keep bar soap from being constantly wet and therefore disintegrated. I switched to body wash with one of those puffy things and that worked much better. Also in my dorm they didn't have anywhere to put clothes during the shower, so a big towel or bathrobe was a must for me.

At my college, it was easy to find things for cheap cheap at the end of the year. We got a fridge for $10 that way, as well as a nice rug and a loveseat. My parents live close to a big state university, and their neighborhood has a lot of college students. They pick up that kind of stuff all the time from the curb.

I graduated 13 years ago (!! how has it been that long??) so my thoughts may not be relevant anymore. ;-) Pretty sure the phone card isn't considered an essential item anymore, ha! I remember my parents dropped me off, then made a Walmart run for the things we didn't think about, like a plastic 3 drawer thing for my socks/undies, and a few other organizational things.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Momof4JackAttacks
On 6/19/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sandwich in Wi said:

Did you find the list of recommended items to bring to Moody online?  They have one.  I think I deleted it when Daisy decided not to go, but I can help you find it if you're having trouble.

No I haven't seen the list. I asked ds if he saw a list, and he said he hasn't.

Momof4JackAttacks
On 6/19/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sandwich in Wi said:

Sandwich, we finally found the list on Moody's website.

• Like 1

Moxie1

Any differences for grad students living off campus but nearby?

Little Women
On 6/29/2017 at 11:38 PM, LindaS said:

THAT'S what that was for. Seriously, I didn't realize until I read this thread that was the purpose of the plastic purple caddy (filled with towels and washcloths, I might add...hint, hint) that my co-workers gave me when I left for college. I wound up in an end room that had its own bathroom/shower (roommate was the floor monitor, so she got special perks), so I didn't have to worry about carting stuff around. I used the caddy on its side as a bedside table. Bible and books could fit in it, and alarm clock sat on top. It looked pretty cute, actually.  

That was much bigger than the shower caddy my dd had, then. 

My dd's school had a place on their website, which you could find by searching in the parent section (not in the kid section, for some reason! :) )   Where it told you all kinds of things like total room size, what furniture each dorm had, etc.    It was VERY helpful!   

ALL BEDS AT MY DD'S SCHOOL WERE EXTRA LONG TWINS.   I had bought her sheets for Christmas, as a "look forward" gift, which she actually wanted, but she didn't wind up taking them at all, because we wound up needing extra longs.   

The walls in dd's dorm were scruffy.  I wished we had more big posters to put up over them.   

the geographer
11 minutes ago, Little Women said:

My dd's school had a place on their website, which you could find by searching in the parent section (not in the kid section, for some reason! :) )   Where it told you all kinds of things like total room size, what furniture each dorm had, etc.    It was VERY helpful!   

ALL BEDS AT MY DD'S SCHOOL WERE EXTRA LONG TWINS.   I had bought her sheets for Christmas, as a "look forward" gift, which she actually wanted, but she didn't wind up taking them at all, because we wound up needing extra longs.   

The walls in dd's dorm were scruffy.  I wished we had more big posters to put up over them.   

Definitely check on the bed size before you buy sheets. Big Sis has regular twin beds in her dorm, Little Sis has the more typical extra long twins in hers. I'm going to get her extra long sheets but a regular twin size comforter.

Bendxap
3 hours ago, the geographer said:

Definitely check on the bed size before you buy sheets. Big Sis has regular twin beds in her dorm, Little Sis has the more typical extra long twins in hers. I'm going to get her extra long sheets but a regular twin size comforter.

Agreeing with this. Older's school had extra long twins, Younger's were regular twins.

Momof4JackAttacks
19 hours ago, Little Women said:

Moody states to get extra long twin sheets.