camelschool

Has anyone tried biofeedback for ADD?

camelschool

In struggling with my DS' (15) ADD, I came across something on biofeedback for ADD. The article said it was *** effective as drugs and lasted after the treatment ended, but I have not found much to corroborate that or heard of many people who have used it. If anyone here had tried it, I'd really like to here your thoughts on it. Our current situation is not working, and I'm wary of drugs, especially from a doctor I can't actually communicate with.

Lori

Mazurka

I don't know anything about biofeedback and ADD, but I do know how the ADD can get more difficult to manage as a student gets older and there is so much more work for a student to accomplish.

Anyhow, just giving you a bump. 

doxa

I've been gone awhile, but just pulled my son (14, also with ADD) out of PS because he just couldn't keep up with it all, even on meds.

As far as I know, the consensus in the medical community is that nothing has been proven to be as effective as medication in managing the condition.  It is not a panacea, but it really does help.  ADD is a neurobiological problem, so a treatment that targets the way in which the neurons fire seems logical to me. 

There is no doubt that stimulants are scary, especially when one first reads about them, but for many people (not all) they really do work.  The good news there is that you would know if they were working the very first day or two.  If they don't, or the side effects are unmanageable, then one can switch meds or discontinue.  No harm done. It's not like you have to taper off slowly or anything. 

Is there any way you could find a doctor with whom you could actually communicate?  I "fired" the one we had who "managed" the ADD when he kept treating the mother/son relationship as something pathological.  The new doctor is much better.