HeidiSue62

Tutoring a dyslexic 16yo

HeidiSue62

Hey, y'all, I'm retired from home schooling my own two sons, because they're grown :-), (in fact I was a Sonlight Curriculum Consultant), but now I'm tutoring kids. One of them is a 16yo dyslexic young man from Palestine, who is reading at a 1st grade level. We have slowly worked through ETC 1 and I Can Read It Book 1, but he's still having trouble with differentiating and remembering the different short vowel sounds. I'm also using the flash cards from Language Tool Kit, which is the Orton-Gillingham method of phonics. I think he's in a bad habit of guessing at words, instead of taking the time to sound them out. 

Believe it or not, the school district tested him and thought he was only border-line dyslexic. Apparently he had trouble reading Arabic as well. He gets by in school by having teachers the read the test (though they don't have to and sometimes don't) and guessing at words. So, anyway, three questions: 

1) can someone share with me the key to the post-test in Book 1, since I didn't buy it and have long since sold my old IGs?

2) Should I keep drilling him on the short vowel sounds, or move on to the next book? 

3) Anything else I can do to help him? I have read up on educational therapy, and "rhythmic writing", but I'm not trained in it. There's only a few people in my area who can do that, and they charge an arm and a leg. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Merry

Are you using the full Language Took Kit program with him? That's not one I've looked into before, but I was thinking for a teen with dyslexia, I'd really want to do a full Orton-Gillingham program with him (it sounded like maybe you are just using their flash cards and ETC with I Can Read It). The O-G programs I am familiar with really drill the phonograms until a student is solid on them, and have the student master reading words before moving forward. How often are you working with him, and does he have someone who can work with him at home on other days? It seems like a lot of ground to make up if he's only on CVC words. You might see if these apps would help him--they are free to download. The Letter Sounds App works just on first sounds for each letter of the alphabet, so if you only want him working on short vowel sounds, you could use this one. The Phonogram Sounds App will teach the multiple sounds for all of the phonograms. A few are easier to hear in person and you would want to reinforce the sounds in person, but this might give him a way to review outside of your tutoring time with him. 

If he's guessing at words, I'd teach him a method of blending and work on that each time. This article on how to Break the Word-Guessing Habit shows how to do this on both one syllable and multi-syllable words.

I hope your time with him goes well--bless you for helping him!

• Like 1

HeidiSue62

I'm working with him an hour every day this summer. During the school year, it was just twice a week. But his mom is paying me a little bit to do an intense reading focus this summer. At the rate we're going, it's going to take right up until school starts again. We had to stop for two weeks due to Ramadan--he was fasting and it was a lost cause to get him to learn. 

Yes, so far with the Language Tool Kit this what we do: 1) drill with flash cards of short vowels and consonants, and a few digraphs. I have not introduced the vowel digraphs or even the long vowel sounds yet. 2) spelling quiz of CVC words. He seems to have particular difficulty with "g" vs. "k", and "u" for some reason. Maybe there's no hard g sound in Arabic. Today, we did the post-test in ETC book 1, AFTER doing the drill and spelling, and I thought he would do OK. Nope, he got 11/21 correct. Really discouraging. Part of the problem is attitude-- I think he gets nervous and panics, then he can't think. Also, he said, "oh, I never study for tests" and he had not read his homework words to his dad as I instructed the night before, so he's been allowed to get by. Youngest son of 6 kids--baby of the family. It's not HIS idea that he needs to learn to read, get my drift?

Yeah, I think the apps might work. We are meeting in a public library, so I'll bring my laptop and we'll play with them tomorrow. I know he has an ipad. I will assign homework for the weekend and text his dad what he needs to do. Maybe that will work, especially since we have a holiday next week. 

I will keep you posted!! Thanks so much for the helpful ideas. I need to look up games as well. 

Blessings,

Heidi 

Merry

Hm, yeah, I bet Dad's influence will be especially important--some boys don't want to do things unless dad says they have to! Good idea to text him about any homework!

• Like 1

Lalibela

I don't know what all the programs are called, but we used Dianne Crafts Right Brain phonics program a year or two ago with my son and it was so helpful. I have used the flash cards with my younger kids too. The flash cards have the phonic sound on a picture and there is a method of holding it up five times that helps imprint it in their memory. I remember she said that the important part was having the letter actually in the picture instead of above or below it. I used them with her book and he was doing so much better in a few months. I am so thankful we tried it. You might be able to utilize some of the methods without buying anything else. She has a lot of info on her website.