Sign in to follow this  
ebymommy

Math for FASD

ebymommy

We are raising a child for a single mom.  She is 8 and has been here half her life now.  We are coming to the conclusion we are working with fetal alcohol effects.  I have read enough to know that she will always struggle.  I am stuck on what to get her for math this year.  She hates math so I want to be able to make it doable at her speed and not a mountain.  I am trying to decide if math u see is the only option.  She is a magnet to anything electronic so i try to have her do some math fact review online.  It makes the school year look big but mainly because it takes so much patience.  Our bio 5 were more on the gifted end so it is all new to me.

She got the reading after much complaining.  I credit a lot of it to our daily read aloud time at quiet time and also bedtime.  It helps brains. We love books and she is copycat enough that she has absorbed that too.

I just came back to these forums after being gone a long time and i am so glad to see this 'learning challenges' where we can help each other.

Thanks for any help

Marilyn

Momstime123

I chose Teaching Textbooks for my slow learner who loves screen time, but he actually prefers to use the workbook. Go figure.

I also just found out about MasterBooks math. I think it is called Living Math for Real Life or something like that. Just google “MasterBooks Math”. My ds is doing TT5. I looked at the placement test for MasterBooks and bought him level 4, because they cover some things we did not necessarily master. It is way too easy for him, though.

Touchpoints has printable worksheets for homeschoolers.

Also, Times Tales are wonderful for learning for multiplication tables. My ds is slow but he knows them.

I am doing the opposite of you. My slow learner is 13. We will soon be adopting four kiddos, the older three of which are way smart. The youngest is only 10 months,  but seems bright, as well. 

LillianinAL

I am homeschooling our two adopted sons with FAE, after teaching our older five bio kids. It is different! I am doing Rod and Staff Math, using all the manipulatives and suggestions and following the plans from Simply Classical Curriculum, published by Memoria Press. Then we have lots of ways to introduce and practice concepts, etc. They learn slowly, but they are learning. They are now 9 and 10. Older just started the 2nd grade book, and he is ready now to move on! I've used MUS with some of my older kids, but it doesn't have enough practice for these two. Hope this is helpful! Lillian

Countrymom9

I raised, and homeschooled till age 14, one with FAE and other issues. I think Rod and Staff is the absolute best for these kids. I wish I had used it not only for him but for ds17, who has slow processing speed due to ??something??. He was also drug (and probably alcohol) exposed but has very few effects from it, thankfully. It's obvious, though, that he needed much more drill at lower levels than he had. The ed psych who evaluated him last year said he needs to "overlearn" basics and make them as automatic as possible so they don't hold him back. I've tried to work on that in the short time I had left, but I can at least pass the advice on. In every way you can, drill, drill, drill.

Ds17 says Teaching Textbooks was not a good idea for him because it did not offer enough practice in the areas he was learning. That's from his mouth, not mine.

Sign in to follow this