dwilterd

Ugh... college admissions applications requirements

dwilterd

Dd17 has 7 schools on her list that she has either applied to or intends to apply to. So far, only one has stood out as a real pain in the you-know-what. This school (Harding) requires the admissions application ($50 fee), housing application ($85 fee), transcript, SAT/ACT test scores, 2 letters of reference, AND a SIGNED immunization form to prove she has had 2 doses of MMR. All of this must be done before they will consider her application for admission! It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me, especially compared to all the other schools she has already applied to. Most just needed the application (only 2 will have an application fee), test scores, and transcript. I tell you what, I'm just not sure it's worth it with this school. The trouble for us is, while I have her immunization records, they are not SIGNED by a physician. Therefore, they don't count. We don't have a family doctor, so I can't just call up and get it. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I hate to pay $60-$100 for a regular doctor's appointment just to walk in, show him/her the records and get a signature. 

Anyway, just needed to vent and have a few people agree that this school's requirements are a bit out of the ordinary just to get an answer about whether one is accepted for admission or not. Most of the stuff they want seems like the type of thing other schools don't require until much further down the road. 

SewWhat?

As a parent also in the middle of college applications, I'd skip that school and not look back.

• Like 3

Mazurka

I think it's ridiculous and expensive. Sheesh.  Is this a school your dd really wants to go to? 

• Like 2

dwilterd

I wish we had known about the immunization thing before she applied. I'm so irritated right now. I finally called our old clinic to see if there was anything they could do. Apparently, in Iowa, immunization records just aren't signed. It's not how we do it. If we were still living in our old town and still going to the local clinic, I could probably go over there and have them sign something, but we've been in our new location for 6 years now and never really established with anyone. Well, we were going to a nurse practitioner but she went to a different clinic and the clinic she was a part of switched over from a family medicine place to an internal medicine place. Anyway, it's a mess. So our old clinic basically said they couldn't give me anything different than the records I already have. I think we're just going to have to drop this school from the list. Might be divine intervention. :girlwink:

• Like 2

the geographer

Besides the immunization thing the only other thing that seems odd is the housing deposit. I've never heard of that one.

I think out of the 8 schools both my girls applied to I had to pay an application fee to one for Big Sis and one, maybe two for Little Sis. It was a nice surprise when one school Big Sis applied to went fee free and sent us a refund. Most schools don't require immunization stuff until you're accepted.

I think unless this is a top choice school I'd just move on. Or call and ask about the immunization thing and tell them it's not something you can get. Explain what you have and see what they say.

• Like 3

Bendxap

Agreeing with others that it sounds like the hassle is out of bounds.

Older had to have (among other immunization things) a TB test. Which came back positive. Which meant that he had to have a chest x-ray, even though the Health Department determined that it was a false positive due to his being vaccinated as an infant. I was really thankful that the TB test and reading were free (done by the Health Department) and when I asked them about the costs for the x-ray (and it's not just taking the x-ray but you also pay for a doctor to read the dern thing), they recommended that I talk to the finance people at the hospital. The finance lady was very nice, gave me four copies of her letter, two of which would go to the x-ray costs and the others to hold in reserve for if for any reason any of the four of us needed to be in the hospital for the next year! What a blessing that was!

• Like 1

dwilterd
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

I think it's ridiculous and expensive. Sheesh.  Is this a school your dd really wants to go to? 

No, not really, but it's one of 2 she can go to for free (if she gets national merit finalist status). If it weren't for that, it would definitely be off the list. As it is, I'm going to verify that they will not accept the records I do have (since they aren't signed) and then probably suggest to dd that we just drop this one. If they do accept our records, then we can continue and see what happens. 

• Like 1

dwilterd

On the upside, she did receive her first acceptance letter today! I don't know if the money will work out, but it's nice to have one in hand. 

• Like 5

Mazurka
1 hour ago, dwilterd said:

On the upside, she did receive her first acceptance letter today! I don't know if the money will work out, but it's nice to have one in hand. 

Congrats to your DD (and to you)! I didn't even know colleges sent out acceptance letters this early. Things have really changed. 

SewWhat?
2 hours ago, dwilterd said:

YAY!

Sophie got her first on Saturday :) She was super excited! She said "well, I guess I CAN be accepted to colleges." LOL

• Like 4

dwilterd
1 minute ago, SewWhat? said:

YAY!

Sophie got her first on Saturday :) She was super excited! She said "well, I guess I CAN be accepted to colleges." LOL

Congratulations!!

• Like 1

the geographer
1 hour ago, Mazurka said:

Congrats to your DD (and to you)! I didn't even know colleges sent out acceptance letters this early. Things have really changed. 

For colleges that have rolling admission you usually get an answer back pretty early if you apply early. Also if you apply early decision (or early admission, whichever isn't binding or maybe both) they usually have decisions early as well. Little Sis had heard from three colleges before Christmas, Big Sis knew pretty early as well.

Mazurka
14 minutes ago, the geographer said:

For colleges that have rolling admission you usually get an answer back pretty early if you apply early. Also if you apply early decision (or early admission, whichever isn't binding or maybe both) they usually have decisions early as well. Little Sis had heard from three colleges before Christmas, Big Sis knew pretty early as well.

What is rolling admission?

dwilterd
4 minutes ago, Mazurka said:

It means they accept and either approve or reject applications throughout the year.

• Like 1

the geographer
Just now, Mazurka said:

Basically there's no application deadline. You can apply starting Aug. 1, usually, and they close the class when it's full. The good thing about it is that when you apply you hear back in a few weeks or if for some reason you need to apply to college later one with rolling admissions will take applications in Feb or March if they still have room. Obviously these aren't selective colleges.

• Like 1

Mazurka
10 minutes ago, dwilterd said:

It means they accept and either approve or reject applications throughout the year.

8 minutes ago, the geographer said:

Basically there's no application deadline. You can apply starting Aug. 1, usually, and they close the class when it's full. The good thing about it is that when you apply you hear back in a few weeks or if for some reason you need to apply to college later one with rolling admissions will take applications in Feb or March if they still have room. Obviously these aren't selective colleges.

Interesting. Thanks for explaining.

the geographer
11 hours ago, Mazurka said:

Interesting. Thanks for explaining.

When you look at college websites they will tell you whether they have rolling admission or specific deadlines, usually Jan 1 for regular admission and something earlier for early decision/early admission. They also tell you when you will hear back. 

• Like 1

dwilterd

Update: I had put out a plea for help on my local homeschool group's forum seeking advice and hoping there might be a doctor in the mix who would be willing to sign something for us. Well, something finally came through tonight! A fellow homeschool mom posted that she works at a free clinic on Thursday nights and we could bring in all our information and they would be able to update the state database and give us a printed, signed immunization record! I'm so relieved, but I'll feel even better when we've successfully gotten this taken care of. 

• Like 4

the geographer

Glad you found a solution! Hopefully this will be the last annoying hurdle (but not likely).

dwilterd
2 hours ago, the geographer said:

Glad you found a solution! Hopefully this will be the last annoying hurdle (but not likely).

Sadly, you're probably right. 

dwilterd

They accepted the immunization record and she has also been accepted for admission! That makes 2! :party:

• Like 4

SewWhat?
1 hour ago, dwilterd said:

They accepted the immunization record and she has also been accepted for admission! That makes 2! :party:

YAY!

• Like 1

Momof4JackAttacks

When my ds applied to Moody Bible Institute, he had to write 4 essays and have 3 references, there was a small cost for the application fee, but no application fee for the dorms. That seems odd.

He didn't have to submit immunization records until MBI accepted him and he confirmed to them that he wanted to go. 

I'd skip applying to that school, too complicated and expensive.

Edited by Momof4JackAttacks