the geographer

College school supplies/dorm shopping

the geographer

Who else is in the midst of getting a college student ready to head off? I've got a junior and a freshman that I'm going to be in a super crunch to get ready next month since they're both off working at camp for the summer and in the short time they're home on the weekends they're with their boyfriends or other friends, no time for shopping with mom.

Big Sis is pretty set. I know she needs some notebooks, new folders, maybe paper. She's also pretty stubborn about me buying much for her these days.

Little Sis has a lot to get and not much time to get it done since she's only got a week between when she's finished with camp and has to move to college. It sounds like she's been talking with her roommate (while she was in Guatemala) because before she went back to camp yesterday she left me with a list. I think tomorrow I'll be making a trip to Ikea and Target to pick up a few things - comforter and cover, sheets, more hangers, a rug if I see it at Target otherwise I'll order it, towels, not sure what else is on the list. I'll have to ask her what notebooks, etc. she wants.

Time is flying this summer and it's rapidly running out.

• Like 1

Mazurka

Did you find anything useful n your shopping today?

my cup of tea & me

Since dd20 spent her first 2 years at CC, I think she is more relaxed about what to bring to her dorm at her university.   Since our camper was totaled last month I have lots of extra stuff that she was able to choose from.  I am still planning on making her a tee shirt quilt, but I haven't made the first cut yet!   I told her today it may be a little late to the 'party'!  I think she will figure out her own school supplies.   

the geographer
3 hours ago, Mazurka said:

Did you find anything useful n your shopping today?

I did! I went to Ikea and bought her a comforter and the cover she was looking at. I also picked up some dish towels for her. Then off to Target. Struck out in the school supply arena, but found sheets, towels, a trash can, another bunch of hangers, a dish pan and soap, the rug she wanted, and a calendar whiteboard and markers. I told her I was keeping track of the receipt until she okayed it all. I was hoping to find a desk lamp for her but don't remember seeing any. Big Sis has a good one, it's got a usb port in the base plus a place to hold paper clips or pencils. I'll have to look again, or go to the other Target.

I need to find the list the school sent and see if there's anything else critical on it. We won't have much time on move in day to be running to the store since she's moving in early because of a program she's in. She checks in between 8:00-9:30 with the program leader, then with residential life, moves in, has to get lunch, say good-bye to us, and be ready to go by 1:30. She can always get anything she forgot when she gets back for orientation.

• Like 1

Mazurka
12 hours ago, the geographer said:

I did! I went to Ikea and bought her a comforter and the cover she was looking at. I also picked up some dish towels for her. Then off to Target. Struck out in the school supply arena, but found sheets, towels, a trash can, another bunch of hangers, a dish pan and soap, the rug she wanted, and a calendar whiteboard and markers. I told her I was keeping track of the receipt until she okayed it all. I was hoping to find a desk lamp for her but don't remember seeing any. Big Sis has a good one, it's got a usb port in the base plus a place to hold paper clips or pencils. I'll have to look again, or go to the other Target.

I need to find the list the school sent and see if there's anything else critical on it. We won't have much time on move in day to be running to the store since she's moving in early because of a program she's in. She checks in between 8:00-9:30 with the program leader, then with residential life, moves in, has to get lunch, say good-bye to us, and be ready to go by 1:30. She can always get anything she forgot when she gets back for orientation.

Move in sounds complicated! What is her move in day?

i remember my move-in day clearly. I got up really early because I wanted to get to my dorm first and get my preferred bed and desk. I was in a triple room, and I didn't want the bunk, but I wanted the desk by the window. I got there hours before my roomies and got my first choice. They didn't hold it against me. :-) said good-bye to my parents and I went for a long walk around campus and then came back and had lunch - cheddar on New York rye. You might laugh, but I remember feeling such freedom in putting as much cheese on my sandwich as I wanted, without being chided for excessiveness, LOL. 

Momof4JackAttacks

We took ds to college at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago last week. It went well. Moody has 3 days of orientation for new students. Classes started this past Monday. He's very happy there. But I miss him terribly!

We are going to parent weekend the end of Sept at Moody.  Neither of his roommates brought a frig, so I will ask ds if he wants a frig in his dorm room. I can bring it during parent weekend.

Edited by Momof4JackAttacks

my cup of tea & me
1 hour ago, Momof4JackAttacks said:

We took ds to college at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago last week. It went well. Moody has 3 days of orientation for new students. Classes started this past Monday. He's very happy there. But I miss him terribly!

We are going to parent weekend the end of Sept at Moody.  Neither of his roommates brought a frig, so I will ask ds if he wants a frig in his dorm room. I can bring it during parent weekend.

DD20 wanted to get to her dorm room early, but it wasn't really necessary.  She and her roommate met at the campus on the Friday before and her roommate let her pick which side of the room she got.   Unfortunately they got the small room in their suite.  The other 3 have more floor space.   Her roommate brought a lot of stuff because she is from out of state.   But we provided the fridge and microwave.   

What is parent weekend like?  We have one in October.  I wonder if it is weird to go if your kid is only 45 minutes from home and you get to see her every weekend.  lol.   I am missing her terribly nonetheless.   This weekend she hugged me and told me I was her best friend.   (Thank You Homeschooling!!)  

• Like 1

mamatoseven

Oldest is staying with us and going to CC but he just got his 2 page list of architecture supplies for one class.  Poor guy, glad he has a job! 

the geographer

We got Little Sis moved in on Sunday but when dh goes back on Saturday they're going to rearrange the room. Saturday is move in day for freshman and her roommate will be moving in. I think they've decided to loft the beds, their room is really small and that will give them more space. Right now their beds are bunked and if they loft both of them they can move their desks underneath which will give them more space. Freshman orientation starts on Sunday and classes start for her on Wednesday. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

Big Sis and I head off on Friday to my sil's to pick up her stuff that's there then we'll head to her college on Saturday. She can move in on Sunday and her classes start Monday afternoon. I think we have a trip to Michaels still to buy a picture frame and a trip to CVS to print out the picture she wants in it. Her roommate will already have moved in when we get there but she'll be working; they've already talked that they'll have the same sides of the room as last year. I'm kind of glad she'll have already moved in, it'll be easier when we get there to move in Big Sis.

the geographer
1 hour ago, my cup of tea & me said:

What is parent weekend like?  We have one in October.  I wonder if it is weird to go if your kid is only 45 minutes from home and you get to see her every weekend.  lol.   I am missing her terribly nonetheless.   This weekend she hugged me and told me I was her best friend.   (Thank You Homeschooling!!)  

I haven't made it to Big Sis's parents weekend yet, but dh went her freshman year. Her school timed it around the town fair so there was fair stuff to do as well as stuff on campus special for parent's weekend. I looked at the schedule for Little Sis's parents weekend and they have a bunch of stuff going on - study abroad fair, several sports events over the weekend, FOTQ (Fridays on the Quad - picnic dinner and music event that we can get tickets for), meetings for the parents about career planning (one for freshman/sophomore parents and one for junior/senior parents), and a bunch of other stuff. We'll be there.

Dh went when Big Sis was a freshman because he didn't want her to be the only one with no parents there. Probably 85% of her campus is from within 2 or so hours of the school so I'm sure there were a lot of parents like you. I'm sure your dd's school will have a schedule of events going on for the weekend that you can check out and see if it's worth going to. Big Sis's school moved hers to the middle of Oct. this year which is her boyfriend's fall break so he'll be there that weekend, pretty sure we're not going up.

dwilterd
2 hours ago, my cup of tea & me said:

DD20 wanted to get to her dorm room early, but it wasn't really necessary.  She and her roommate met at the campus on the Friday before and her roommate let her pick which side of the room she got.   Unfortunately they got the small room in their suite.  The other 3 have more floor space.   Her roommate brought a lot of stuff because she is from out of state.   But we provided the fridge and microwave.   

I'm so jealous that your daughter is only 45 minutes away from you for college!!

Moxie1

Dd is going to grad school 10 hours away (instead of less than an hour) and moving into a group house off campus.  She just let me know that in addition to regular school supplies she also needs furniture and housewares.  Gave her dishes and duplicates of pots and pans.  Thankfully some of her friends talked her into thrift store furniture shopping.  I just am giving her $$$.  Cheaper than a rental to cart it to and fro.  Now I just have to figure out where to put the desk and the dresser ds left in the living room when he graduated.  High quality and expensive cherry.

my cup of tea & me
3 hours ago, dwilterd said:

I'm so jealous that your daughter is only 45 minutes away from you for college!!

It is a blessing from God!   She looked at Harding (6 hours away), like y'all did, and another Christian college about 3 hours away.  I made her to the driving to and from the 3 hr school and she was struck by how far it was.  When we stepped on this campus we were at home....happy tears and all!   Praising God!!

• Like 1

the geographer
3 hours ago, dwilterd said:

Ditto. We knew Big Sis would be going far  (the whole snowboarding thing) but I was hoping Little Sis would be closer than she is. There are two excellent colleges about 45 minutes from us, one to the north and one south of us. She applied to one (I really liked it) but said both were too close to home. Three and a half hours is going to seem far especially when she's driving home at Thanksgiving.