dwilterd

College interview?

dwilterd

Dd17 has applied to one college (Covenant) that apparently wants to interview her. We have not visited there yet, so I'm assuming the interview request is due to that. It is not a standard application requirement, as far as I can tell.

Have any of your kids ever done college interviews? What sorts of questions were asked? I believe this will be a phone interview but we haven't heard yet how or when it will happen. 

Edited by dwilterd

the geographer

Both my girls did one. With Big Sis we had scheduled a tour at the college and while we were there the admissions director asked if she'd like to interview since we were from so far and not likely to get back. So off she went to talk to him and when they were done I went up and the three of us talked. I don't remember what she was asked, if she even told me. She may have interviewed, unofficially, at one or two more schools but I can't remember.

Little Sis applied to four in-state schools and interviewed at three of them. One was pretty informal, one was scheduled as part of her tour (again, since we were from so far away) but was also pretty informal, and the other we went back down to the school for. I think mostly she was asked general questions, I had told her to be prepared to answer "why homeschooling" but I'm not sure she was ever asked that. I also told her to know what was on her transcript since she's got some unusual classes but again, not sure she was asked.

I'd just have her prepare for the "why homeschooling" question, why that college, maybe what does she love/like about school, her strengths/weaknesses, volunteer/work she's done. Have her prepare a few questions as well, stuff that can't be found on the school's website. Oh, I just remembered in one of the more informal interviews some of the questions were about what sort of activities she was looking at getting involved in at college, which lead to a long tangent. It's hard to remember specific questions (for the interviews that I was in on) because it was more of a conversation than a q&a session.

• Like 1