the geographer

One down, one to go

the geographer

We dropped Little Sis off at college this weekend. We went down to her school yesterday and got her moved in today. Her room was really small, smaller than she thought it would be. The good thing is that she's off campus this week and the official move in day is next Saturday. Dh is going back down to take a few things, like her laptop that we didn't want to leave in her room while she was gone, and he's going to help her loft her bed and rearrange her room. Her roommate will be moving in on Saturday as well so they can figure things out. Hopefully that will help with the space issue some. It'll still be small but better. She's got most of her books (one is at home for dh to bring down), we looked on the map and figured out where her classes were, hopefully she'll be ready for classes on the 30th. She is in a program that has an orientation this week, then the college orientation is Sunday-Tuesday next week.

Big Sis and I are heading north on Friday to go to my sil's house, half of her stuff is there. We'll spend the night and sometime on Saturday head over to her college. She can move in Sunday morning then she's got a mandatory meeting in the afternoon for her job. I'm sticking around until Monday afternoon before heading back to my sil's. Her classes don't start until the afternoon so we'll get breakfast, see if the AD is around and talk to her, see if the alpine coach is around (there's no snowboard coach at the moment that we know of and he's working with the snowboarders as well as the alpine skiers), get lunch then she'll head to class and I'll be off.

So by the 29th dh and I will officially be empty nesters. We're going to celebrate by going on vacation a week later.

• Like 1

SewWhat?
7 minutes ago, the geographer said:

We dropped Little Sis off at college this weekend. We went down to her school yesterday and got her moved in today. Her room was really small, smaller than she thought it would be. The good thing is that she's off campus this week and the official move in day is next Saturday. Dh is going back down to take a few things, like her laptop that we didn't want to leave in her room while she was gone, and he's going to help her loft her bed and rearrange her room. Her roommate will be moving in on Saturday as well so they can figure things out. Hopefully that will help with the space issue some. It'll still be small but better. She's got most of her books (one is at home for dh to bring down), we looked on the map and figured out where her classes were, hopefully she'll be ready for classes on the 30th. She is in a program that has an orientation this week, then the college orientation is Sunday-Tuesday next week.

Big Sis and I are heading north on Friday to go to my sil's house, half of her stuff is there. We'll spend the night and sometime on Saturday head over to her college. She can move in Sunday morning then she's got a mandatory meeting in the afternoon for her job. I'm sticking around until Monday afternoon before heading back to my sil's. Her classes don't start until the afternoon so we'll get breakfast, see if the AD is around and talk to her, see if the alpine coach is around (there's no snowboard coach at the moment that we know of and he's working with the snowboarders as well as the alpine skiers), get lunch then she'll head to class and I'll be off.

So by the 29th dh and I will officially be empty nesters. We're going to celebrate by going on vacation a week later.

oooohhhh nice! Where to?

We don't know yet if we'll be empty nesters next year or not. Sophie's undecided if she'll live at home or go away to college. LOL

the geographer
43 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

oooohhhh nice! Where to?

We don't know yet if we'll be empty nesters next year or not. Sophie's undecided if she'll live at home or go away to college. LOL

Little Sis is 3.5 hours away but still in Virginia. We're not always lucky with the traffic though and it can take longer. I kind of dread Thanksgiving break, it's going to be a long drive for her. Big Sis goes to school in Maine, a 12-13 hour drive. Thank goodness these days for things like Skype so they can keep in touch easily.

SewWhat?
31 minutes ago, the geographer said:

Little Sis is 3.5 hours away but still in Virginia. We're not always lucky with the traffic though and it can take longer. I kind of dread Thanksgiving break, it's going to be a long drive for her. Big Sis goes to school in Maine, a 12-13 hour drive. Thank goodness these days for things like Skype so they can keep in touch easily.

I meant, where you going on vacation? LOL

The d rive won't be fun sounds like...

Edited by SewWhat?

the geographer
9 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

I meant, where you going on vacation? LOL

The d rive won't be fun sounds like...

LOL! Dh and I are camping and will be spending a couple of days near Little Sis to explore that area more. It will also be over our anniversary so we'll take her out to dinner with us. Then we're going to head down the Blue Ridge Parkway into NC/TN making a few stops along the way and end up in the Great Smoky Mountains, spending four or so days there. I know we'll spend one day in the Gatlinburg area since my dbro gave me a gift card for a restaurant there for my birthday. Then we'll "blast" home the last day. Theoretically it will be a 7 hour trip but knowing the traffic in that area it may be longer but that's ok. Should be fun, we haven't really gone camping in years, the girls just got too busy in the summers and were taking online or cc classes during the school year so that made it hard to get away. I'm already planning on a family beach vacation in May when they're both home from college.

• Like 1

SewWhat?
52 minutes ago, the geographer said:

LOL! Dh and I are camping and will be spending a couple of days near Little Sis to explore that area more. It will also be over our anniversary so we'll take her out to dinner with us. Then we're going to head down the Blue Ridge Parkway into NC/TN making a few stops along the way and end up in the Great Smoky Mountains, spending four or so days there. I know we'll spend one day in the Gatlinburg area since my dbro gave me a gift card for a restaurant there for my birthday. Then we'll "blast" home the last day. Theoretically it will be a 7 hour trip but knowing the traffic in that area it may be longer but that's ok. Should be fun, we haven't really gone camping in years, the girls just got too busy in the summers and were taking online or cc classes during the school year so that made it hard to get away. I'm already planning on a family beach vacation in May when they're both home from college.

Sounds fun, except the camping part :)

• Like 1

Mazurka

I hope you have a great vacation and that both of your girls have a great school year!

the geographer
2 hours ago, Mazurka said:

I hope you have a great vacation and that both of your girls have a great school year!

Thanks, we're looking forward to the trip. Now that Little Sis is off to college maybe I can finish planning our trip and make some reservations. I'm working two days this week, home two days and need to help Big Sis finish packing stuff before we head to Maine, lots to do!

• Like 1