dwilterd

Choosing a college is like....

dwilterd

Choosing a college is like moving from eclectic homeschooling to a boxed curriculum. You no longer get to choose history from provider A, language arts from provider B, science from provider C, etc... Now, you have to get all your education from ONE provider!! Gasp!

We're finding it difficult to locate a college that is strong enough in all 3 disciplines dd17 can envision majoring in (Spanish/linguistics, math, computer science -- obviously there's also the possibility she'll end up in a major we can't even imagine right now) where they ALSO have the Christian environment she's looking for along with the merit scholarships to make them affordable. Last night we were talking it over again and I realized how this process compares to researching homeschool curriculum, except it's on a much larger and more expensive scale! 

Not looking for advice, just wanting to discuss the challenges of balancing everything and weighing decisions that will have an impact on the rest of our kids' lives. 

the geographer

True! I think she's likely to have to compromise somewhere. The thing I'd guess that makes it hardest for her is finding the Christian environment with the academic stuff.

Finding the right college isn't always easy! Big Sis isn't totally happy with hers. Likes her major, loves most of her professors, likes her church, but the social scene has been hard. The campus empties out on weekends, its been hard to find like minded friends, to a degree especially her freshman year she noticed a high school mentality in a lot of the kids.  She hasn't found it to be the friendly campus it touts itself to be. She'll be happy to be done next December. 

SewWhat?

Sophie's soooo stressed trying to find which colleges she wants to apply to!

Momof4JackAttacks

That's quite a major. What does she want to do? Are you looking at both private and state colleges, or just private? 

Have you looked into Patrick Henry College, which HSLDA promotes? They take many homeschooled students.  

There are many Christian colleges, but they are sooooo expensive! One inexpensive college (compared to some) is Moody Bible Institute, but you have to have a ministry focused major.  Pensacola Christian College is also less expensive and likes homeschoolers.  I would really love visiting my child if they went to Pensacola! :girlwink:

Have you considered a local school the first year or two to save money? 

dwilterd
3 minutes ago, Momof4JackAttacks said:

That's quite a major. What does she want to do? Are you looking at both private and state colleges, or just private? 

Have you looked into Patrick Henry College, which HSLDA promotes? They take many homeschooled students.  

There are many Christian colleges, but they are sooooo expensive! One inexpensive college (compared to some) is Moody Bible Institute, but you have to have a ministry focused major.  Pensacola Christian College is also less expensive and likes homeschoolers.  I would really love visiting my child if they went to Pensacola! :girlwink:

Have you considered a local school the first year or two to save money? 

We have a pretty nice list of schools we're working off of, it's just that none of them check off every.single.box. and she's just trying to figure out which "box" is worth giving up. ETA: Oh, and she's not planning to major in all 3 (though she perhaps wishes she could). It's just likely to end up being one of those three. 

Edited by dwilterd

Momof4JackAttacks
2 minutes ago, dwilterd said:

We have a pretty nice list of schools we're working off of, it's just that none of them check off every.single.box. and she's just trying to figure out which "box" is worth giving up. ETA: Oh, and she's not planning to major in all 3 (though she perhaps wishes she could). It's just likely to end up being one of those three. 

What colleges is she looking at?

dwilterd
Just now, Momof4JackAttacks said:

What colleges is she looking at?

Grace College & Seminary and Taylor University in Indiana; Union University in TN; Harding University in AR; Covenant College in GA (near Chattanooga); Oklahoma Christian University in OK; Northwestern College and Dordt College in IA, and maybe Baylor University in TX.

SewWhat?
3 minutes ago, dwilterd said:

Grace College & Seminary and Taylor University in Indiana; Union University in TN; Harding University in AR; Covenant College in GA (near Chattanooga); Oklahoma Christian University in OK; Northwestern College and Dordt College in IA, and maybe Baylor University in TX.

Sophie applied to Grace too :) It's about 1 1/2h from me.

Edited by SewWhat?
  • Like 1

dwilterd
1 minute ago, SewWhat? said:

None of these are very close to us. :nea::cry:

Momof4JackAttacks
5 minutes ago, dwilterd said:

That's a lot to choose from.  We were just in Chatanooga in May. Its beautiful there. 

• Like 1

SewWhat?
1 hour ago, dwilterd said:

None of these are very close to us. :nea::cry:

She's only looking in-state except the Chicago Art Institute. She's got anxiety so the thought of being too far is paralyzing. I'm going to guess she'll just end up at Valparaiso University a mile from us.

Bendxap
1 hour ago, dwilterd said:

1 hour ago, SewWhat? said:

Older graduated from Grace! In three years with a double major (Photography and Graphic Design)

I think a lot of their math department is supplied by (is that the right term? Grace has an agreement with) Trine University (a secular, private university) where Younger is starting his senior year in Computer Engineering. 

We were a little worried (oh, ye of little faith) about Younger going to a secular school since he hadn't made an "adult" decision to follow the Lord. We are so thankful for the mentoring, fellowship, outreach, etc. that Christian Campus House does there! Younger's been involved with them since the beginning. And last spring, he made his decision and was baptized. (We were able to watch via skype <3) He's leading the freshmen guys Bible study, plays bass for their worship times, and lives in the guys house that CCH runs. I think it's been much better for him than going to a Christian college. (I didn't think I'd ever be saying that!) (Older tried to talk him into going to Grace since Trine does the math there but Younger'd already been accepted and made up his mind to go to Trine. )

• Like 2

SewWhat?
30 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

Older graduated from Grace! In three years with a double major (Photography and Graphic Design)

I think a lot of their math department is supplied by (is that the right term? Grace has an agreement with) Trine University (a secular, private university) where Younger is starting his senior year in Computer Engineering. 

We were a little worried (oh, ye of little faith) about Younger going to a secular school since he hadn't made an "adult" decision to follow the Lord. We are so thankful for the mentoring, fellowship, outreach, etc. that Christian Campus House does there! Younger's been involved with them since the beginning. And last spring, he made his decision and was baptized. (We were able to watch via skype <3) He's leading the freshmen guys Bible study, plays bass for their worship times, and lives in the guys house that CCH runs. I think it's been much better for him than going to a Christian college. (I didn't think I'd ever be saying that!) (Older tried to talk him into going to Grace since Trine does the math there but Younger'd already been accepted and made up his mind to go to Trine. )

What is he doing now with photography and graphic design degrees? Sophie's considering arts.

Bendxap
2 hours ago, SewWhat? said:

What is he doing now with photography and graphic design degrees? Sophie's considering arts.

He's the photographer for MudLove and the assistant to the Design gal. (And she's his photography assistant. :D

He free lances doing wedding, engagement, and proposal photography as well as family portraits. You can see some of his work here and here. One of Grace's history profs hired him to photograph some old maps that were too big and fragile to scan, and to photograph the Billy Sunday Museum before it was moved.

Older is very happy that he went to Grace. It was a great fit for him. When he started, it was Grace's first year to offer Photography as a minor. (He was doing Graphic Design to hopefully be more marketable.) By the time he graduated, it was a major. He TAed for two or three photography classes while he was studying there. And he's still living in the same town.

• Like 1

SewWhat?
11 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

He's the photographer for MudLove and the assistant to the Design gal. (And she's his photography assistant. :D

He free lances doing wedding, engagement, and proposal photography as well as family portraits. You can see some of his work here and here. One of Grace's history profs hired him to photograph some old maps that were too big and fragile to scan, and to photograph the Billy Sunday Museum before it was moved.

Older is very happy that he went to Grace. It was a great fit for him. When he started, it was Grace's first year to offer Photography as a minor. (He was doing Graphic Design to hopefully be more marketable.) By the time he graduated, it was a major. He TAed for two or three photography classes while he was studying there. And he's still living in the same town.

Oh yes, now I remember :) So glad he's happy!!

Jen in ME

I've made up charts of pros and cons for each of the 3 colleges that my dd is considering with questions to ask and things to check on.

She has no interest in my charts.   She says things like, "... Oh, I think it will all work out..."

I think she is overwhelmed.  And possibly her overexcited mama shouldn't throw so much information at her.  :)  But I also think that she has basically made up her mind to be happy wherever she goes.  I think any of the colleges on her list could work and get her where she wants to go.  

And I know you know this, but this is an opportunity for us and our children to lean into God, praying for the wisdom he promised us in James 1:5.

• Like 1

Jen in ME
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, the geographer said:

True! I think she's likely to have to compromise somewhere. The thing I'd guess that makes it hardest for her is finding the Christian environment with the academic stuff.

Finding the right college isn't always easy! Big Sis isn't totally happy with hers. Likes her major, loves most of her professors, likes her church, but the social scene has been hard. The campus empties out on weekends, its been hard to find like minded friends, to a degree especially her freshman year she noticed a high school mentality in a lot of the kids.  She hasn't found it to be the friendly campus it touts itself to be. She'll be happy to be done next December. 

I don't know any way to predict if our kids will be able to find a close friend or two at college. 

Do you have any advice?  It sounds like your dd did all the right things - found a church community, invested in her classes, reached out.

the geographer
3 hours ago, Jen in ME said:

I don't know any way to predict if our kids will be able to find a close friend or two at college. 

Do you have any advice?  It sounds like your dd did all the right things - found a church community, invested in her classes, reached out.

She has found Maine, at least around her, to be pretty liberal and it's been hard to find like minded friends. She checked out the Young Republicans her freshman year and they were way conservative. There's apparently very few in between. She is in leadership with Inter Varsity, which helps. She's also on the snowboard team and has a job on campus (mentoring first generation college students) so she's out and about. Her church sounds like it's mostly older (I joke about her little old, blue hair lady friends) but to find many good friends on campus, that's been hard. She does have a one or two good friends and a bigger circle of friends. It is getting better though.

It sounds like Little Sis already has a huge circle of friends at college. I was telling dh last night I'm glad she was homeschooled for high school, the social scene would have brought her down. Hopefully she'll keep it in check in college, sounds like she is so far. At least I know she got her first two papers done. :) 

Jen in ME
1 hour ago, the geographer said:

She has found Maine, at least around her, to be pretty liberal and it's been hard to find like minded friends. She checked out the Young Republicans her freshman year and they were way conservative. There's apparently very few in between. She is in leadership with Inter Varsity, which helps. She's also on the snowboard team and has a job on campus (mentoring first generation college students) so she's out and about. Her church sounds like it's mostly older (I joke about her little old, blue hair lady friends) but to find many good friends on campus, that's been hard. She does have a one or two good friends and a bigger circle of friends. It is getting better though.

It sounds like Little Sis already has a huge circle of friends at college. I was telling dh last night I'm glad she was homeschooled for high school, the social scene would have brought her down. Hopefully she'll keep it in check in college, sounds like she is so far. At least I know she got her first two papers done. :) 

Thanks for the insight.  I love how she made relationships in her church with the older ladies :) 

the geographer
1 hour ago, Jen in ME said:

Thanks for the insight.  I love how she made relationships in her church with the older ladies :) 

What's been interesting is that she's going to a small college in a small Maine town and she's met quite a few people who have lived in our area in Northern Virginia. Her freshman year Big Sis was told (in no uncertain terms) by one of her church ladies that she was coming over for Thanksgiving if she wasn't going home. This lady has a dd in our area and her grandson goes to college in Maine and would be there.

• Like 1

my cup of tea & me
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, Bendxap said:

My dd20 just started "big girl" college, aka she is living on campus, and wears two mudlove bracelets every day.   Strength and Courage go with her.  

• Like 1

Bendxap
2 hours ago, my cup of tea & me said:

My dd20 just started "big girl" college, aka she is living on campus, and wears two mudlove bracelets every day.   Strength and Courage go with her.  

I told Older about your daughter and her Mudlove bracelets. He's curious where she's going to college to see how far Mudlove has spread! (If you want to tell but rather not make it public, feel free to pm me.)

• Like 1