ajbmom

College visits - count as schooling?

ajbmom

Taking two days to visit two colleges.  Can I count those as school days?  I really want to because I'm having a hard time getting our days/hours!  If I count them, though, what do they count AS?  There's really no good fit, unless I somehow lump all the college stuff into Health/PE/Life Skills.  Can I do that?  If you can help me stretch it into Personal Finance, that would be the BEST because he's taking PF at a co-op with NO homework! :):):) Here are his classes this year:

Health/PE, Marksmanship, English IV, College Algebra, Photography (done), Government/Economics, Personal Finance

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this!  

SewWhat?

They let ya slide when you take days off public school so yes, I'd count it as a school day. We've not done it with current senior but when 19yo was a senior I counted his visit days as a school day.

Just count it as field trip, I wouldn't worry about categorizing it.

Edited by SewWhat?

Little Women

I would guess that when ps has a college fair, they count it as some type of life skills.  

ally_cat

Our state has an "Occupational Education" credit (for ps kids). If you need a career planning kind of class, I would think it could fit there. I think it could also count as PF though if you looked at costs and did some comparison of financial aid packages. Or it could just be a field trip.

Countrymom9

I would definitely count them as school days. Do you have to fit them in a category? With his current classes , I'd put, say, half the hours into Life Skills (figure getting information from strange "official" adults, filling out forms, etc.) and half into Personal Finance (looking at costs and ways to meet them).

I have always counted all travel as school days....usually geography, sometimes history, and English. I had them keep journals of the trip in case I needed evidence. I never did need it, but the journals are fun to read.

Edited by Countrymom9

texasmomtothree

My daughter's Early College High School takes them on a college visit every year and it obviously counts as a school day.