dwilterd

Bethel University and University of Northwestern, St. Paul?

dwilterd

I'm curious if anyone can give me the inside scoop on either of these institutions? Bethel University offers a minor in gender studies, so that sort of sets of the warning bells for me. Are they a more progressive school? 

Thanks for any insights!

Lady Marmalade

I was going to go to Northwestern!  

I had been accepted into the music program to study Music Performance, but I did not prepare properly for my solo audition and really tanked it.  I did not get the scholarship that I needed to attend there, so I ended up not going.  (Which was a blessing in disguise anyway as I burned out of singing by the end of my senior year anyway.)

Absolutely beautiful campus, beautiful people who work there.  I loved, loved, loved the dorms.  They were small apartments vs. dorm style, and freshman were assigned three to a room which included a small kitchenette.   Just thinking about our trips to the campus there gives me the smallest pang of regret that I never got to experience college life there.    

It totally came down to finances as it is a pricey school to attend.  They gave me a generous presidential scholarship after receiving all my letters of recommendations, but it didn't even hit the halfway mark as far as the money went.  When we had attended one of the college visit days, one of the staff members who met with us assured my mom that they really work hard to make sure all their applicants could afford to attend the school, but in the end everything hinged on that vocal audition and I really had no idea what I was doing at the time.

Anyway, you won't regret a visit there at the very least!

dwilterd
1 minute ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I was going to go to Northwestern!  

I had been accepted into the music program to study Music Performance, but I did not prepare properly for my solo audition and really tanked it.  I did not get the scholarship that I needed to attend there, so I ended up not going.  (Which was a blessing in disguise anyway as I burned out of singing by the end of my senior year anyway.)

Absolutely beautiful campus, beautiful people who work there.  I loved, loved, loved the dorms.  They were small apartments vs. dorm style, and freshman were assigned three to a room which included a small kitchenette.   Just thinking about our trips to the campus there gives me the smallest pang of regret that I never got to experience college life there.    

It totally came down to finances as it is a pricey school to attend.  They gave me a generous presidential scholarship after receiving all my letters of recommendations, but it didn't even hit the halfway mark as far as the money went.  When we had attended one of the college visit days, one of the staff members who met with us assured my mom that they really work hard to make sure all their applicants could afford to attend the school, but in the end everything hinged on that vocal audition and I really had no idea what I was doing at the time.

Anyway, you won't regret a visit there at the very least!

I was able to attend an FCA leadership camp there when I was in high school, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. I know it seemed like a fairly isolated campus (in the middle of the city but didn't really feel like it) and the people were very friendly. Glad to know your perspective! I'm also glad for the confirmation about the dorms as I had seen that on the website but wasn't sure I was understanding it correctly. 

wjminwi

I went to Bethel U before it was a U....was Bethel College.  Like Northwestern, a VERY beautiful campus, and couldn't have made better life friends, but I haven't kept in touch with what they offer now and was also surprised about the "gender studies".  You might be able to find out online what kind of classes that means....perhaps they have a more Biblical take on the subject, but perhaps not.  I'd say yes, it's a bit more liberal school than NWern.  At least, it was back then.  But a very safe campus, and good facilities and professors probably all over the place as far as beliefs, but they do need to sign a doctrinal statement of some sort.  I did not push toward or discourage my kids from going there...and neither one did.  But a lot of my classmates sent their kids and many followed their own parents there....kind of a family tradition thing, like many other colleges.  Sorry I can't give you more info.  We had dorms, townhouses, and off-campus apartment choices back then....and there is more on-campus housing there now that I haven't seen.

Tanequil

I don't have any recent experience but I live in the area and both schools are still well respected around here. I have friends who attended both. It's been 20+ years since I was doing my college search and I wanted to get way away from home so my only experience with the schools is at the high school level from when we had events there. I attended Girl's State at one of them between my junior and senior years of high school and the campus and dorms were quite comfortable.

dwilterd
21 hours ago, Tanequil said:

I don't have any recent experience but I live in the area and both schools are still well respected around here. I have friends who attended both. It's been 20+ years since I was doing my college search and I wanted to get way away from home so my only experience with the schools is at the high school level from when we had events there. I attended Girl's State at one of them between my junior and senior years of high school and the campus and dorms were quite comfortable.

Good to know they have maintained their local reputations. I assume you don't recall which college you were at for Girl's State? 

Tanequil
1 hour ago, dwilterd said:

Good to know they have maintained their local reputations. I assume you don't recall which college you were at for Girl's State? 

Nope, I'll try to figure it out though. :)

I know we were in and out of both schools during high school. Crown College as well. Choir competitions, other competitions, concerts (to go to, not perform in), .... :) I like all three campuses.

• Like 1

Momof4JackAttacks

My two oldest boys did PSEO with Univ of NW online. They really liked it. I know some people from our church who went to NW and had a good experience.