szasza

Question about homeschool diploma

szasza

Can anyone speak on the job / career course for a non-college bound students that graduates with a homeschool diploma? Do they have difficulty getting jobs or entering into a career?  What about kids who want to obtain a trade apprenticeship that requires a diploma or GED?  Does anyone have experience with their kids trying to go that route without an accredited diploma.  In our state, a student who completed a Sonlight-like program course would be given a diploma from the homeschool which would not be accredited.  My Son has a 1210 on his SAT, but does not want to go to college.  he would like to become an electrician.  Will this type of diploma give us trouble?  Thanks for your input.  

Edited by szasza

Bendxap

no answers, just a bump for you!

• Like 1

Countrymom9

Colleges and the military accept homeschool diplomas; I can't imagine that there would be anyone who doesn't. My dh says to look it up on your state electrical  licensing board; I checked the one for my state and it has no listed requirement for a high school diploma nor any place to enter the name of your high school, so I don't think it's a requirement. Ds17 sometimes talks about becoming a welder; if he decided to pursue that, he'll take the nine-month course at our local cc. He will take a licensure test at the end and begin applying for jobs.

Employers typically ask whether you have a high school diploma. Those with homeschool diplomas either put "homeschool" or the name of their homeschool, if it has one, in the "Name of school" blank.

I don't personally know anyone for whom an unaccredited diploma has been an issue, and I have known a lot of homeschool families in many different circumstances.

Edited by Countrymom9
adding something
  • Like 1

szasza
3 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

Colleges and the military accept homeschool diplomas; I can't imagine that there would be anyone who doesn't. My dh says to look it up on your state electrical  licensing board; I checked the one for my state and it has no listed requirement for a high school diploma nor any place to enter the name of your high school, so I don't think it's a requirement. Ds17 sometimes talks about becoming a welder; if he decided to pursue that, he'll take the nine-month course at our local cc. He will take a licensure test at the end and begin applying for jobs.

Employers typically ask whether you have a high school diploma. Those with homeschool diplomas either put "homeschool" or the name of their homeschool, if it has one, in the "Name of school" blank.

I don't personally know anyone for whom an unaccredited diploma has been an issue, and I have known a lot of homeschool families in many different circumstances.

Thank you so much for your insight.  My Dh keeps saying "Thousands of kids are homeschooled and graduate with a homeschool diploma.  They don't all go to college.  This should not be an issue."  

I will do as you suggest and look up our state's requirements.  Thanks again.

Merry

On the WTM board, I do occasionally hear of trade schools (usually things like cosmetology) that do seem to have an issue with homeschool diplomas. I think I would do more investigating specifically into the field your son wants to go into (I'm assuming there's either some kind of trade school or apprenticeship work involved?) to see how they handle homeschoolers. This does also seem to vary by state. I agree with your husband's way of thinking--that's the way it SHOULD be. But...I'd investigate more for a non-college bound student.

• Like 1

szasza
4 hours ago, Merry said:

On the WTM board, I do occasionally hear of trade schools (usually things like cosmetology) that do seem to have an issue with homeschool diplomas. I think I would do more investigating specifically into the field your son wants to go into (I'm assuming there's either some kind of trade school or apprenticeship work involved?) to see how they handle homeschoolers. This does also seem to vary by state. I agree with your husband's way of thinking--that's the way it SHOULD be. But...I'd investigate more for a non-college bound student.

Thanks, Merry!

daveswife

It hasn't held my son back at all. He's slowly been accumulating certifications/licenses in advanced welding, ammonia/refrigerant, hvac, etc. He works in an engineering lab where he builds and tests prototypes of industrial compressors and refrigeration units.

• Like 2

szasza
3 hours ago, daveswife said:

It hasn't held my son back at all. He's slowly been accumulating certifications/licenses in advanced welding, ammonia/refrigerant, hvac, etc. He works in an engineering lab where he builds and tests prototypes of industrial compressors and refrigeration units.

That is great to hear. Thanks for the encouragement! Did your son have any state endorsements in his diploma or was it one complelty generated by you?

Edited by szasza

daveswife

In PA, parents can issue a diploma, signed by their student's evaluator as confirmation that all graduation requirements were met, that the PA Dept. Of Education provides on their website. 

• Like 1

Countrymom9
8 hours ago, szasza said:

That is great to hear. Thanks for the encouragement! Did your son have any state endorsements in his diploma or was it one complelty generated by you?

Our state is the same...parents have the authority. I've never heard of state endorsements on a homeschool diploma. Some people use umbrella schools in some states and those grant an "accredited" diploma, assuming the school is accredited. I don't think the state gets involved in homeschooling unless possibly when the homeschooler uses the K-12 program.

• Like 1

Debbie in Bailey

Most people never ask to see the diploma.  Except for the military, no one has ever asked to see my kids' diplomas.  They all have one.

Most of the time the question is, "When did you graduate?"  or "Are you a high school graduate?"  or "Do you have a high school diploma?"

Many private schools are not accredited.  They issue diplomas.  I don't know that they are questioned.  How would a college or an employer know if the school was accredited?

It's more likely that an employer or trade school wouldn't understand a diploma issued by a homeschool.  But that's a matter of information and help from your state homeschooling organization if needed.  It doesn't mean that you can't legally issue a diploma and that it doesn't mean that your diploma is any less valid.  .

As long as you've educated legally and you can legally issue his diploma, you are off to a great start.  There is no way to know what hoops someone may require because they don't understand home education.  And, it's possible you may experience resistance.  But it's equally as possible that you won't have any issues.  

Take a deep breath!  As he figures out what direction he is going in, you can deal with issues as they come up.  But I wouldn't over-think it just yet.

Countrymom9
7 hours ago, Debbie in Bailey said:

Most people never ask to see the diploma.  Except for the military, no one has ever asked to see my kids' diplomas.  They all have one.

Most of the time the question is, "When did you graduate?"  or "Are you a high school graduate?"  or "Do you have a high school diploma?"

Many private schools are not accredited.  They issue diplomas.  I don't know that they are questioned.  How would a college or an employer know if the school was accredited?

It's more likely that an employer or trade school wouldn't understand a diploma issued by a homeschool.  But that's a matter of information and help from your state homeschooling organization if needed.  It doesn't mean that you can't legally issue a diploma and that it doesn't mean that your diploma is any less valid.  .

As long as you've educated legally and you can legally issue his diploma, you are off to a great start.  There is no way to know what hoops someone may require because they don't understand home education.  And, it's possible you may experience resistance.  But it's equally as possible that you won't have any issues.  

Take a deep breath!  As he figures out what direction he is going in, you can deal with issues as they come up.  But I wouldn't over-think it just yet.

I totally agree.

• Like 1

szasza
8 hours ago, Debbie in Bailey said:

Thank you Debbie!  Lots of great points here.  It does put my mind at ease :)

ZooRho

My son did go to college for a year but is now working.  He is working at a pre-owned car dealership at the MARKETING DIRECTOR. Yep 23 no college degree.   He is highly thought of there. great worker, and an out of the box thinker that helps him do the great job.

I do agree with checking out the state requirements.  I'm in the Same state as Countrymom and we don't have accredited diplomas, Not needed. 

• Like 1