ajbmom

ADHD in College; disability services

ajbmom

I don't really have a question, so much as I thought this might be a useful thread for someone out there.  My son is heading to college in the fall.  He was diagnosed with ADHD in kindergarten and so it's been a part of all our lives for years.  It's part of the reason we started homeschooling in 6th grade.  In order for him to get accommodations at college, we had to submit current testing, which I had done at the local public school (against the advice of HSLDA).  They were very gracious, thorough, and the assessment was spot on.  We simply gave the testing to the disability office, and boom, accommodations.  We went and met with the "ACCESS" office and they were amazing.  He can have a notetaker, extended time on tests, academic coaching and tutoring, and a variety of other things.  Basically, they will provide almost any help he needs...but he has to ask/initiate.  That's the part that might create an issue, but we'll see.  I'm in prayer about it all the time. Accommodations vary by school, but this is our experience.  Maybe someone else would like to share theirs for the benefit of others who might be anticipating the same need.  

Little Women

Adding 

Little Women

Adding this here mostly as a way of following this thread, but also because the topic was brought up elsewhere and I had put it there, too, so to keep all of this discussion in one place, here it is. :)  

My dd has some accommodations. She didn't get a diagnosis until the beginning of her senior year, and she managed ok without them, but she is very glad to have them even if only for one year. I think every college, at least the vast majority of them, have a disabilities office, and their whole job is to help the students get the help they need, whatever that is. The therapist we have also is used to helping kids get accommodations in college, and she wrote a letter describing what dd needed. She has also been very willing to help dd with any other letters or info the college asks for, but so far, dd has been able to manage it with the disabilities office with the original letter.

Countrymom9

I'm so glad colleges have these accommodations. I wish kids weren't so reluctant to use the services offered.

ajbmom
19 hours ago, Countrymom9 said:

I'm so glad colleges have these accommodations. I wish kids weren't so reluctant to use the services offered.

Me too.  We (my husband, myself, and my son) all met with the disability office.  I wanted my son to physically see where it was, and hear from them what they can offer him.  It was a good meeting and I think he will be comfortable going there.  I'm not sure he would have if we had not done a "warm hand off".  

• Like 1

Countrymom9
14 hours ago, ajbmom said:

Me too.  We (my husband, myself, and my son) all met with the disability office.  I wanted my son to physically see where it was, and hear from them what they can offer him.  It was a good meeting and I think he will be comfortable going there.  I'm not sure he would have if we had not done a "warm hand off".  

Good idea. I will do this with ds17, if he'll let me. Even at the cc, even in their welding program, I think he can probably use any help they can give. He's really bright but he's dyslexic (though he reads and writes well, his comprehension is sometimes questionable), has slow processing speed, and is not patient with the need to overstudy to compensate.

• Like 1

Hearthstone

Most of our faculty are good with giving the students with disabilities accommodations.   Of course there is always one that is troublesome and the administration has to get involved.  

The accommodations vary with the disability and college.  The disability officer at our community college lends students a Echo pen that records the lectures as the students take notes in special notebook.   They also give the students more time on tests.  The student with the disability has to reserve the testing room at the testing center for their test. 

I purchased the Echo pen for my Dyslexic student to use in her classes.  It helped her take more complicated classes.  

Edited by Hearthstone