ajbmom

Career aptitude testing - what do you recommend?

ajbmom

My son is starting college in the fall as "undeclared", which is totally fine.  However, we are both interested in him taking a few career aptitude tests as we finish out his senior year.    I would love for him to do the Meyer's Briggs and the Strong Interest Inventory.  I think it's possible he can take these on our military post, so I'm checking into that tomorrow.  Which ones do you recommend?

Bendxap

Our sons took the HIghlands Aptitude test. (I think it's pricey; we had a missionary discount.) We found it very very helpful because it gives a list of careers/jobs that he would be highly satisfied in, another list of mostly satisfied, etc. A friend of ours did the personal feedback which was really helpful, too. She told us that sometimes the test isn't completely accurate and so she wondered about Younger's low score on rhythm since she knew that he played guitar, bass and piano. He said, "Yes, that's right! I've always struggled with keeping in time." (Hubby, as Younger's first music teacher, confirmed that, too.)

Colleagues of mine also took the test. The wife was so relieved to find out she's not good at languages (they are Bible translators) because that had been really hard for her.

• Like 1

ajbmom
20 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

Our sons took the HIghlands Aptitude test. (I think it's pricey; we had a missionary discount.) We found it very very helpful because it gives a list of careers/jobs that he would be highly satisfied in, another list of mostly satisfied, etc. A friend of ours did the personal feedback which was really helpful, too. She told us that sometimes the test isn't completely accurate and so she wondered about Younger's low score on rhythm since she knew that he played guitar, bass and piano. He said, "Yes, that's right! I've always struggled with keeping in time." (Hubby, as Younger's first music teacher, confirmed that, too.)

Colleagues of mine also took the test. The wife was so relieved to find out she's not good at languages (they are Bible translators) because that had been really hard for her.

I found an old post where you recommended this test.  I was just on their website, but I couldn't find a cost anywhere.  What's the ballpark figure?  Is it a situation where I'd need to link to someone certified to administer the test, or something we could just purchase/complete online?  Thanks!

Bendxap
16 minutes ago, ajbmom said:

I found an old post where you recommended this test.  I was just on their website, but I couldn't find a cost anywhere.  What's the ballpark figure?  Is it a situation where I'd need to link to someone certified to administer the test, or something we could just purchase/complete online?  Thanks!

We paid (the missionary discount) $100 per kid back in 2011 and 2012. I don't know, and like you couldn't find anything on their site, about how much it costs normally. They have a number to call them so you could find out with no commitment. 

As I remember, the boys took the test online. (I think after they registered they got a key/password to take the test.) Our friend, who's a registered consultant with Highlands, did Older's feedback in person because she happened to be here in Mexico after he took it. We did Younger's feedback with her by Skype. We also got the results via email.

Looking back at old emails with our friend, she also recommended this site: https://www.onetonline.org/ for information about different careers.