SewWhat?

Illustration major

SewWhat?

Have you or someone you know gotten an illustration degree? If so, from where?

I don't mean generally where should dd look, I mean if you know someone who has gotten an illustration degree (not 'art' but specifically illustration) where did they get it from?

dd is going to start out at a state school that has art degrees, but not specifically illustration. She's going there for a year so she knows she can get over her anxiety, being away from home living on campus, while still being close enough ( 1 1/4h) she can come home if she wants. Then, she wants to go to a school that specifically has illustration. Currently she's looking at Kansas City Art Institute. 

Bendxap

The daughter of friends/colleagues got her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration from Grace College in Winona Lake, Indiana.

(She was a major influence in Older attending Grace.)

SewWhat?
28 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

The daughter of friends/colleagues got her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration from Grace College in Winona Lake, Indiana.

(She was a major influence in Older attending Grace.)

I'll have to remind her. She has been accepted to Grace but it's still $$$$$$. Plus, their illustration degree is really really light on illustration! Only one specific illustration class in the major class list. So, it's kind of more a general fine arts degree with several arts classes. Kansas City has several specific illustration classes in the major.

But, if the monies for KSAI don't pan out, maybe Grace would still be cheaper. She's going to be working on where to go over the next several months, over summer and starting in at IUSB.

• Like 2

Bendxap
On 4/13/2018 at 4:51 PM, SewWhat? said:

I'll have to remind her. She has been accepted to Grace but it's still $$$$$$.

Yes, Grace is pricey. Older got several grants and scholarships (academic, missionary parents, low income, diversity), otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Plus, their illustration degree is really really light on illustration! Only one specific illustration class in the major class list. So, it's kind of more a general fine arts degree with several arts classes. Kansas City has several specific illustration classes in the major.

When Older decided to go to Grace, he really wanted to major in Photography but at the time, Grace didn't even have a minor in Photography. (We also looked very briefly at photography schools--talk about pricey!) Knowing that one doesn't just land a decent paying job in photography right out of college, he decided to major in Graphic Design. By the time he actually started going to Grace, they had a photography minor and by the time he graduated it was a major. So he ended up with a double major (Photography and Graphic Design). He TAed a couple of photography classes too, which he really enjoyed.

But, if the monies for KSAI don't pan out, maybe Grace would still be cheaper. She's going to be working on where to go over the next several months, over summer and starting in at IUSB.

Another thought: Older said that when he was graduating it was becoming normal for students to graduate in three years. if you took four years, people looked at you like What's your problem? (Not in a mean way but surprised.) Older did graduate in three years. He got credit for four semesters of Spanish (after successfully completing the fifth semester--he was a freshman helping the juniors and seniors with their homework!), he had a couple of AP credits and took one course on line each summer.

Keep us posted on what Sophie decides!

SewWhat?
17 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

Yes, Grace is pricey. Older got several grants and scholarships (academic, missionary parents, low income, diversity), otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford it.

When Older decided to go to Grace, he really wanted to major in Photography but at the time, Grace didn't even have a minor in Photography. (We also looked very briefly at photography schools--talk about pricey!) Knowing that one doesn't just land a decent paying job in photography right out of college, he decided to major in Graphic Design. By the time he actually started going to Grace, they had a photography minor and by the time he graduated it was a major. So he ended up with a double major (Photography and Graphic Design). He TAed a couple of photography classes too, which he really enjoyed.

Another thought: Older said that when he was graduating it was becoming normal for students to graduate in three years. if you took four years, people looked at you like What's your problem? (Not in a mean way but surprised.) Older did graduate in three years. He got credit for four semesters of Spanish (after successfully completing the fifth semester--he was a freshman helping the juniors and seniors with their homework!), he had a couple of AP credits and took one course on line each summer.

Keep us posted on what Sophie decides!

Right now all she got at Grace was the Dean's? I think? $8k/y. Not much considering how expensive it is plus room and board. 

The only plus about Grace IS the ability to graduate in 3y. But, if they don't have the kind of major you really want it's still not worth it. LOL They have illustration yes, but it's not a total illustration focus like Kansas City Art Institute and other places have.

She's likely going to IUSB this upcoming year. As for an Art Institute or other Illustration Major facility, it'll be a year before she's sure on that one :) Maybe starting out at IUSB will change her mind and she'll want to stay there even though they don't have illustration. Time will tell.

There is going to be one thing that will really help her as she applies to art schools next year, the fact that dh has been off work since Jan 10th recovering from bicep reattachment, and won't be going back to work till probably 2nd week in May. So, our income will show REALLY low on the FASFA.

• Like 1

Gilead

Laguna College of Art and Design. (other schools in the LA area include Otis and Pasadena, as well as Orange County Art Institute; a couple of the CSUs have art majors but not illustration)

SewWhat?
38 minutes ago, Gilead said:

Laguna College of Art and Design. (other schools in the LA area include Otis and Pasadena, as well as Orange County Art Institute; a couple of the CSUs have art majors but not illustration)

Do you have an illustration degree from there?

Gilead

No, my oldest daughter went to LCAD and has a BFA Studio Art, but she started there in Illustration.

tess in the burbs

SCAD.  Savannah College of Art & Design.  $$$$$$$$$    https://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/illustration/degrees/ba

I just have to say NO to any of the Art Institutes.  DH considered going there after his computer science degree for animation.  They didn't want to accept any of his college credit!  Basically you will take every class there.  Nothing can transfer in.  Then I met a few people who graduated from there.  None are working in their field.  All were told their degrees from there are worthless.  It's a money making place with no real positive success for the students.  Just don't go there.  Put your time and money into a better school. 

SewWhat?
35 minutes ago, Gilead said:

No, my oldest daughter went to LCAD and has a BFA Studio Art, but she started there in Illustration.

What is she doing now for a job?

6 minutes ago, tess in the burbs said:

SCAD.  Savannah College of Art & Design.  $$$$$$$$$    https://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/illustration/degrees/ba

I just have to say NO to any of the Art Institutes.  DH considered going there after his computer science degree for animation.  They didn't want to accept any of his college credit!  Basically you will take every class there.  Nothing can transfer in.  Then I met a few people who graduated from there.  None are working in their field.  All were told their degrees from there are worthless.  It's a money making place with no real positive success for the students.  Just don't go there.  Put your time and money into a better school. 

I have the same thoughts on an art institute, and she knows nothing will transfer in. I"m pretty sure I don't even have to worry about her trying to go since I doubt she'd get enough scholarship to afford it, and I'm not co-signing on a large loan I already told her. 

I've suggested SCAD. I've got a nephew and his family who live very close. They have told her how great it is at family events when they've been up (we're in NW Indiana.) They have friends who've gone or teach there. She is resistant. It's about a 15h drive from us. 

I just keep hoping in her internships here she can find one with illustration experience opportunities :) She's going to our local uni for dirt cheap compared to rack rate, she got great scholarships.

Gilead

Transfer to LCAD -- they accept academic classes but require a portfolio for all art classes and have to fit them into their progression. However, unlike state U, she did not have to do lots of general ed before starting art classes; art was built in from the beginning and was part of even the english/science courses. 

DD lived for free with different family friends all during her time @ LCAD because we moved out of the area (9 hour drive away). She had a large calgrant, a scholarship ($5500/year, which they said was one of the larger amounts) and we supported her with legacy money from grandparents so that she only had to borrow the Stafford loan amount, which I think is around $5500/year. She's struggling to make the payments now, but that's because she's working at Goodwill rather than in a graphics design or illustration job....taking a few classes at the community college to boost her graphic design pre-press skills and hopes to find something better paying in the new year.

She has to have a job that offers medical benefits because of allergies and other issues that developed several years ago. If she were free to work the gig economy and had the strength/energy too market her work more effectively, she might move into that area, but graphic design gives her more possibilities for a job with medical rather than multiple freelance contracts that tend to come with illlustration.

SewWhat?
10 minutes ago, Gilead said:

Transfer to LCAD -- they accept academic classes but require a portfolio for all art classes and have to fit them into their progression. However, unlike state U, she did not have to do lots of general ed before starting art classes; art was built in from the beginning and was part of even the english/science courses. 

DD lived for free with different family friends all during her time @ LCAD because we moved out of the area (9 hour drive away). She had a large calgrant, a scholarship ($5500/year, which they said was one of the larger amounts) and we supported her with legacy money from grandparents so that she only had to borrow the Stafford loan amount, which I think is around $5500/year. She's struggling to make the payments now, but that's because she's working at Goodwill rather than in a graphics design or illustration job....taking a few classes at the community college to boost her graphic design pre-press skills and hopes to find something better paying in the new year.

She has to have a job that offers medical benefits because of allergies and other issues that developed several years ago. If she were free to work the gig economy and had the strength/energy too market her work more effectively, she might move into that area, but graphic design gives her more possibilities for a job with medical rather than multiple freelance contracts that tend to come with illlustration.

Sophie's right in to art classes right now as a freshman too :) It's a private university. (Valparaiso University in Indiana) She's required to take "Freshman Core' which includes some English stuff too and is 5 credits per semester. Otherwise, she's got Drawing, 2D/3D art and Art History.  

Hopefully your dd can do what she wants and get the benefits she needs :D 

Amiables

One of my relatives got an illustration degree from Columbus College of Art and Design. His wife got her degree there in graphic design (I think). Educationally, they both spoke highly of their classes and professors. As someone without any artistic ability in that direction, I was always quite impressed with their work!

SewWhat?
5 minutes ago, Amiables said:

One of my relatives got an illustration degree from Columbus College of Art and Design. His wife got her degree there in graphic design (I think). Educationally, they both spoke highly of their classes and professors. As someone without any artistic ability in that direction, I was always quite impressed with their work!

Nice!

Did they both graduate with art jobs then?

Amiables

They did. The illustrator did illustration for a few years until he decided he'd rather do graphic design as part of an advertising team, and he's done that ever since. His wife started out as a graphic designer until she had children. She still has an amazing eye, and will occasionally rearrange her house or something, and I suspect she would be able to get a job in her field in the future again, if she wanted to (a portfolio is a portfolio, I think), but that's some years down the road yet.

SewWhat?
8 minutes ago, Amiables said:

They did. The illustrator did illustration for a few years until he decided he'd rather do graphic design as part of an advertising team, and he's done that ever since. His wife started out as a graphic designer until she had children. She still has an amazing eye, and will occasionally rearrange her house or something, and I suspect she would be able to get a job in her field in the future again, if she wanted to (a portfolio is a portfolio, I think), but that's some years down the road yet.

Fantastic! You rarely hear of art students actually doing what they went to school for once they graduate!!!

Bendxap
21 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

Fantastic! You rarely hear of art students actually doing what they went to school for once they graduate!!!

You can add Older to that list, although it was a little delayed after graduation. He went to Japan (after grad) for three months as an art intern. Back in the US he worked as assistant to the English-learners teacher for the rest of the school year. Then he started at MudLOVE in the production team, didn't like it because everyone was so cliqueish, hung on, was given the position of assistant to graphic design person. When the photographer moved on, he got that job and loves it. (Just wishes there were either more benefits or more pay.) All the photography on the MudLove page is his, except for photos taken in Africa. He freelances weddings, family and individual portraits, engagements, proposals, etc. but NO NEWBORNS. ;) 

Rebecca, you probably knew all this but to encourage others whose kids are in or wanting into the art world.

SewWhat?
7 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

You can add Older to that list, although it was a little delayed after graduation. He went to Japan (after grad) for three months as an art intern. Back in the US he worked as assistant to the English-learners teacher for the rest of the school year. Then he started at MudLOVE in the production team, didn't like it because everyone was so cliqueish, hung on, was given the position of assistant to graphic design person. When the photographer moved on, he got that job and loves it. (Just wishes there were either more benefits or more pay.) All the photography on the MudLove page is his, except for photos taken in Africa. He freelances weddings, family and individual portraits, engagements, proposals, etc. but NO NEWBORNS. ;) 

Rebecca, you probably knew all this but to encourage others whose kids are in or wanting into the art world.

:) Yes I knew but always encourage you to remind folks!! it's such a hard career! But, people do it. :D 

• Like 1

Bendxap
1 hour ago, SewWhat? said:

:) Yes I knew but always encourage you to remind folks!! it's such a hard career! But, people do it. :D 

I think part of it is being willing to do whatever, even lowly jobs that you don't like, to get your foot in the door and not expecting to be a famous artist as soon as you graduate.

SewWhat?
9 minutes ago, Bendxap said:

I think part of it is being willing to do whatever, even lowly jobs that you don't like, to get your foot in the door and not expecting to be a famous artist as soon as you graduate.

I soooo agree! 

Sophie's really hoping for internships where she can do illustration, but who knows what she'll end up with.

• Like 1

lianin

I have a graphic design degree from Taylor University in Indiana. Not specifically illustration, though I did take a class in that. A classmate went on to get a Master of Fine Arts from SCAD as well. I looked at transferring there - a great school (at least it was 15 years ago, ha) but ultimately decided to stay at Taylor.

I know people who got degrees from RISD too.

SewWhat?
2 minutes ago, lianin said:

I have a graphic design degree from Taylor University in Indiana. Not specifically illustration, though I did take a class in that. A classmate went on to get a Master of Fine Arts from SCAD as well. I looked at transferring there - a great school (at least it was 15 years ago, ha) but ultimately decided to stay at Taylor.

I know people who got degrees from RISD too.

We're in NW In and she looked at Taylor, but with no illustration degree she looked elsewhere. I keep telling her to look again at SCAD but she just doesn't like the idea of going away so far eventho a cousin lives there. Plus, $$$$$$$$$.

lianin
37 minutes ago, SewWhat? said:

We're in NW In and she looked at Taylor, but with no illustration degree she looked elsewhere. I keep telling her to look again at SCAD but she just doesn't like the idea of going away so far eventho a cousin lives there. Plus, $$$$$$$$$.

Yeah, money was the main reason I didn't transfer. I had scholarships set up at Taylor that wouldn't transfer. Does she need a illustration degree specifically? Just curious, I am pretty out of touch with the field anymore!

SewWhat?
39 minutes ago, lianin said:

Yeah, money was the main reason I didn't transfer. I had scholarships set up at Taylor that wouldn't transfer. Does she need a illustration degree specifically? Just curious, I am pretty out of touch with the field anymore!

She wants to work in illustration, so she thinks she needs specifically an illustration degree. I keep telling her as long as she CAN illustrate and can show a great portfolio that the specific degree isn't needed, but she doesn't believe me. But, I'm hoping if she can get internship experience in it then she will be satisfied with an arts degree focus of drawing at her current university then she could still succeed in illustration.  She also wants to be a novelist so that's a side career she'd like.

lianin

When I worked as a graphic designer, they really didn't care the degree. My degree was technically "Computer Graphic Arts" which could be interpreted different ways. I figured out what specific job was most intriguing to me (magazine design), and curated my portfolio to reflect that. It really is all about the portfolio. At my second job (which I left 9 years ago, but I suspect this is still true), I actually got to sit in on some interviews. And I will tell you - my boss really just looked to see that someone HAD a degree, and then all further questions were about experience and portfolio. The thing with art is you can't just learn it all in school - you HAVE to have some natural talent, a natural eye. Education can cultivate that, but employers know that the portfolio (and experience) is going to show whether someone TRULY has the talent to be an asset.

• Like 1

lianin

I know YOU know all this. But just in case confirmation from someone who worked as a graphic designer is helpful. :-)

SewWhat?
22 minutes ago, lianin said:

When I worked as a graphic designer, they really didn't care the degree. My degree was technically "Computer Graphic Arts" which could be interpreted different ways. I figured out what specific job was most intriguing to me (magazine design), and curated my portfolio to reflect that. It really is all about the portfolio. At my second job (which I left 9 years ago, but I suspect this is still true), I actually got to sit in on some interviews. And I will tell you - my boss really just looked to see that someone HAD a degree, and then all further questions were about experience and portfolio. The thing with art is you can't just learn it all in school - you HAVE to have some natural talent, a natural eye. Education can cultivate that, but employers know that the portfolio (and experience) is going to show whether someone TRULY has the talent to be an asset.

Thanks, it's nice to read confirmation of what I already thought. Now I can tell her yet another Sonlight Auntie agrees with me, and that she knows from experience :D

17 minutes ago, lianin said:

I know YOU know all this. But just in case confirmation from someone who worked as a graphic designer is helpful. :-)

• Like 2